Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help, new dog on heat?!

• 21-06-2011 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I got new doggie from pound a month ago, about 4-5 years old and they checked for a neutering scar very briefly before letting her go to me. they told me everything like de-fleaing, neutering, vaccs etc is my responsibility which is obviously ok by me.

Her fur was very matted and dread locked when they checked and they kind of gave up and haa'd, 'Ah, she probably IS neutered a long time ago she's not that young, the old owner probably got it done'.

Now this 'assume' has really made an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me' lol! She's been great until yesterday, HELP!!!!! She is pure wild very suddenly! Has made her great escape 5 TIMES out of our garden alleyway; despite blocking it up with bins and bikes I swear I was gonna kill her. I cannot believe what she did next; once down the actual alley she CHEWED her way outta the plastic mesh, and metal mesh after we fixed it. she made it through the tiny gap of the gate: a 5-6 inch gap??????

She's obviously on heat we think as we rang the vet and although her 'unmentionables' are not yet swollen there is a suspiciously pink area of fur there as if it was blood and was licked away into a pink stain like strawberry dye (sorry; tmi!)

Now here's the biggie, to make exactly sure what do we look out for now. I won't let her out back in case a dog makes it to her when we're not looking and it's stressful walking her even on a lead, I still have visions of her being humphed from behind as we walk.

we are low income household at the moment, is there any help available? I emailed blue cross to get this reply:

Hello!

Unfortunately we are a Dublin based charity. We do all our neutering in our Inchicore clinic. We would not be able to help out financially at this time. If you have any other queries please don’t hesitate to call us on 01 4163030 or send me your number and I will call you as soon as I can.

how do I get her neutered? we are in ennis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If she's in season, she can't be spayed at the moment anyway, you just have to keep her in and walk her on the lead until she is finished, making sure that no male dog gets to her. Then from about 6 weeks on after she's finished her season, you can get her spayed. So if you put a little bit of money away each week, you should be able to afford it in 2/3 months maybe?

Dogs Trust do a voucher scheme, but most vets have run out of the vouchers already by this time in the year, they only issue them once a year. Ask at your vets, or contact your local SPCA, sometimes they have schemes to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

ISDW wrote: »
    If she's in season, she can't be spayed at the moment anyway, you just have to keep her in and walk her on the lead until she is finished, making sure that no male dog gets to her..

+1

I'd also advise not even leaving her unattended in your back garden as some dogs are quite creative in getting inside gardens to have their fun, and she's certainly proven her determination to escape.
    Good luck, I've never personally had a dog in season (always neutered first or males) so I've never had to deal with that situation, but I've heard some amazing stories about scaling 7 foot high walls, etc.

Oh, and well done to you for adopting an older animal...nice to hear a story of one going to a good home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Also probably not best to walk her to and from your house as males will follow the scent. If you do walk her drive her to somewhere quiet (very early morning or late night if possible) and walk her on lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

We got our golden retiever neutered at the vet in the market (Summerhill). I'm in Ennis also.

Advertisement