Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WPP Worries

Options
  • 21-06-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently started a WPP position with a charity which for the most part I am enjoying. I can't say I am learning anything as its all stuff I have two years experience doing but I guess I am better off here than sitting home waiting for the phone to ring.

The one issue I have come across which I don't know how to deal with is the CEO's attitude, its a small office and he tends to corner you at unsuitable times asking you to various tasks, apart from the fact he is asking me to do things that have nothing to do with my job description its awkward when you are trying to go to the bathroom or are in the middle of something else. He is also a tease which is ok but at times the comments are inappropriate and in any previous employment would have been frowned upon.

Last week I got the vaccine that is recommended by the organisation and I had a pretty bad reaction to it, I was sick from Thursday to now and I was forced to take the day off yesterday and I am still now feeling the best. This morning he sidled over to the desk and said he saw that I was missing in action yesterday and before I had a chance to say anything walked off. This was in front of the entire office and humilated me and made me feel like I had done something wrong.

I know because I am not feeling well I could well be overreacting but it felt to me that he was making a point of letting me know I was off sick and that he thought I hadn't let anyone know where I was, which I did with great difficulty. Its only an example of the kind of comments he makes and my colleagues also seemed embarassed by it especially as I began to say what was wrong and he just walked off.

I find his general way of operating unprofessional and my feeling is that I at least have to mention my concerns to the line manager to make sure if anything else does happen that there is a record of what I said as I don't see my side being taken if I was to lose my temper with him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

You are not learning anything new.
    The boss is a strange character so you are not likely to get a good reference.
    It is costing you money to work.
    The sooner you get out the easier it will be to make this assignment "invisible" on your CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

It's amazing the amount of smug charity workers who have little qualifications but big job titles and big salaries..

However, you're making some pretty dumb mistakes, so maybe you will benefit from the WPP.

If you are missing for any length of time you ask for your manager when you phone in sick. If he's not available, ask the person who took your call to leave a message. Phone in daily if your illness spreads across a few days.. in most companies they insist on doctor certs if your illness exceeds 3 days.

When you return, you should approach your manager and give him an update (e.g. you're still feeling a bit under the weather, dates of follow up doctor appointments, etc). I have a feeling you don't report directly to the "CEO" but he's pretty hands-on so you should go out of your way to keep him in the loop.

Look at it this way, you're learning how to deal with people.

If you're going to the bathroom and he asks you something just say "i'll be back to you in a sec" and walk off.

If you're in the middle of something else, well you need to remember the guy is actually your boss and you need to prioritise what he tells you.

You'll probably find a little sucking up to this guy will go a long way.

If something's "not in your job description", get over it. I worked on a team of 12 accountants. The CEO came to the exec manager in accounting and said he wanted our team to participate in a storyboard contest run throughout the company. Before you knew it we had an A0 piece of card, glitter and crayons.

In the meantime.... I hope you're handing out plenty of CVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Its a WPP, you can leave at anytime with no penalty. Weigh up the pro's and con's and decide whether it is worth your while staying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Em excuse me Tenchi Fan, I am 29 years of age and I was in a management role before I was made redundant so I am well aware of how to call in sick. I haven't made any mistakes, no idea where you have gotten that from??? I have no dumb mistakes so you may want to take back your 'advice'.

The CEO asked me where I was later on in the week, he seemed to think I was on a First Aid course so he was just messing so I took it up wrong. I feel better this week so I will see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

AnonWPP wrote: »
    The CEO asked me where I was later on in the week, he seemed to think I was on a First Aid course so he was just messing so I took it up wrong. .

I based my advice on what you wrote.
    You took it up wrong. You relayed it wrong. Garbage in, garbage out.

29 y/o manager on a wpp..

:S

• Advertisement
Advertisement