Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School Re-Registration Subscription Fee

• 21-06-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My mother showed me a letter she received the other day from the local secondary school (my brother's going into his last year there) which mentioned that his Re-Registration Subscription fee for next year was due. According to the letter, the fee is for things like personal insurance, a locker and the school journal. The letter went on to say that failure to pay would mean he wouldn't get the journal, and finished by stating that as per school rules, all students must have the journal.

This is the bit that interested me, as the school in question is not a fee-paying school, it is a public Gaelcholáiste. This is the first year we've heard of this school journal rule. Now I'm fairly ignorant of school fees, but surely if there is now a barrier to entry for students who do not pay the journal fee, doesn't that actually make the school a fee-paying school now?

I'm interested to hear if anyone has come across a mandatory fee like this from any other public school?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

My children's secondary school always charged E120.00 per child. This year they are charging E130.00 for the first child and E115.00 for each sibling.
    I think these "Costs" have always been extortionate, especially as books, uniforms, school trips, school bus tickets, lunches and other hidden costs during the year have to be paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not really a Parenting issue... but there's no Secondary School forum, so will move it here... mods if you don't think it suits please let me know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

now free is not free, lets get that out there. You must buy copies, biros, clothes and school journal.

Schools of course can insist on a student having a journal as its the main way of keeping track of homework etc. Try a scattered child who has no journal with a constant "I will remember it" excuse yet never turns up with homework.
    However schools can't go charging 200 for a journal. If the fee has been the same since the day he entered then its been known but if its suddenly imposed then thats another story.
    Likewise there are other schools in the community who probably look for a smaller contribution.
    The Minister is looking into ways of curbing this contribution. My school charges 20 euro in Sept to literally cover personal insurance/journal etc. We still get the odd one complaining, interesting enough the back to school allowance which more than adequately covers uniform, books and extras is never talked about.
    Ring the Principal and ask about the cost. If you are having financial concerns yourself, contact the Principal to discuss. Don't however ring up eating him/her, get you nowhere.

Remember also budgets in schools are getting cut all the time. Factor in that kids still love to do graffiti, break things etc but expect a much higher quality of hygiene, toilets etc than before, money is always tight

Advertisement