Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaret Atwood in Galway

Options
  • 21-06-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

I heard that Margaret Atwood will be receiving an honorary degree from NUIG this week. Anyone know if she'll be doing any signings or appearance around town? Would be an interesting woman to meet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bit more info

The 2011 Honorary Doctoral Conferring ceremony will take place on Friday, 24 June in the Bailey Allen Hall, Áras na Macléinn, at which NUI Galway will honour four distinguished people:
    Ms Margaret Atwood
    Mr Seán Campbell
    Mr Seán O’Rourke
    Professor Gio Wiederhold
    Time: 12.00 - 13.15pm
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/about-us/news-and-events/events.php
    It’s the season of honorary doctorates, and next Friday at NUI Galway the renowned Canadian author Margaret Atwood (pictured) will be conferred with a doctorate in literature. The author of more than 40 books of fiction, poetry and critical essays, she won the Booker prize in 2000 for The Blind Assassin. A regular visitor to Galway, she’s a former keynote speaker at Cúirt International Festival of Literature. The citation at NUIG will be given by her fellow Canadian Elizabeth Tilley, lecturer in English at the university and past president of the Association for Canadian Studies in Ireland. The honour is being conferred not just in recognition of Atwood as an artist but also to acknowledge her role as a spokeswoman for free speech, responsible government, ethics in science, and conservation.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0618/1224299108477.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Will she give a "Men Are Evil!" speech? /flee

(for the record I enjoyed her books)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've an invitation to the graduation ceremony..

Advertisement