Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rouge

Options
  • 21-06-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Been waiting a while to see what was that empty spot beside galway prop management on dominic ever going to be used for something. Has rouge witten on the top. Anyone know what it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

French restaurant if they ever finish the bloody road works on Dominick street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

To be fair that hasn't been as bad as some roadworks! Sound. Curiousty:-)

ArtyC wrote: »
    To be fair that hasn't been as bad as some roadworks! Sound. Curiousty:-)
    What

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

The road works need to be done. They're moving quickly in relative to most road works in recent years. Cheers for telling me- walk past it everyday. Was curious. Bit space good location. :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

French restaurant, the lads who are opening it are all bang on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tumblywumbly

oh that'll be nice!!! i've been wondering what was opning there too. can't wait for it now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

I wondered that myself after passing it a few times over the last few days. Sounds good will definitely be trying it out, always nice to see something different opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I heard that it's the same folk who own Java's? Anyone have any further word on that? Another Java's would be no harm at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Javas rumour has been around for a while - think it was them who put the Rouge sign up, and there was an "opening soon" or something sign up too for a while.

But there's been no sign of action for months, except there has been some construction work in there in the last week or two.

Maybe they've just been waiting for the pipeworks that are being finished up now: sure who'd want to open a business there knowing that it was coming up.

Think they were just sussing out the Market in the area,did not want to rush into it as there were a lot of risks associated with a place like this.
    As far as I know it's Javas and a couple of French chefs opening it,it would be a welcome restaurant decent French cuisine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

Rouge opened over the weekend. It looks great, looking forward to wandering in. Hope it goes well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

My friend had a facebook status update today saying that she had a meat and cheese board in there last night ( or maybe it was this morning? i can't remember ) and that it was lovely, but also that she got a glass of wine there for 3.80!!!!!!!!
    i really really hope they open late on a fri/sat/ and particularly sunday night as an alternative to the thronged bars if you just want a quiet bottle of wine with friends!!! when you are in your 30's you dont necessarily want to be 'unwinding' in a cattle mart ;)

That sounds like good value, brilliant :-) Think it says on the window that it's open 'til midnight.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I popped in yesterday for a look, gorgeous comfy leather couches and a general smell of rich mahogany. :)

There's quite a limited menu which in my opinion is a good thing.

So that side of town seems to be the area with all the best restaurants now, with a few exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

when you are in your 30's you dont necessarily want to be 'unwinding' in a cattle mart ;)

No matter what age you are you can't unwind in a cattle mart!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Dinner plans changed unexpectedly so headed in there tonight. Place was hopping, lovely atmosphere, and we were lucky and got a table. Hard to hear music the way sound was (live gypsy jazz) but didn't bother me too much.

2 starters, 2 mains, 1 cheapo (but delish) bottle of vino, 2 coffees and shared a dessert (that I have NO idea how one person would eat, two of us couldn't finish it) - all less than 60 quid. Staff were lovely too. Deffo will go back.

Inis - I was there tonight too! Had the baked camembert between us and some delicious, keenly priced wine. The service was the best I have experienced in Galway, lovely atmosphere too. Not crazy about the decor, but that's a matter of personal taste I suppose! A lovely place to relax with friends. Overall I'm very impressed.

I went on Friday, had the fish, boyfriend had the steak, excellent steak, gorgeous fish, divine potato dauphoise.

Brilliant service, we ordered a wine they didn't have and they gave us a more expensive wine for the same price. Bill came to 40 euro, will definitely be back. Lovely to see a place that isn't trying to rip customers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 john locke

can anyone provide some info on the choices? I am planning to go there this weekend. They have a menu on the window but it doesn't say much. Is it just fish and steak?

john locke wrote: »
    can anyone provide some info on the choices? I am planning to go there this weekend. They have a menu on the window but it doesn't say much. Is it just fish and steak?

Fish, steak, veggie option. Deserts and cheeseboards. That's it.

• Advertisement

Fish, steak, veggie option. Deserts and cheeseboards. That's it.

kinda limited isn't it? not like the choices that BK's had.

Sign of a good restaurant imho. Nothing worse than when you see a restaurant with a hundred dishes on the menu, when they try to do thai, irish and italian, run the hell away. ;)

Sign of a good restaurant imho. Nothing worse than when you see a restaurant with a hundred dishes on the menu, when they try to do thai, irish and italian, run the hell away. ;)

I agree with your point in that if you see a restaurant that tries food from every nation then it’s a bad sign but I would still expect to have more than 2 choices for a main course especially in a French restaurant with the French famed for their fine cuisine.
    Anyway will give it a go this weekend and will report back my findings! ;)

thanks

john locke wrote: »

I agree with your point in that if you see a restaurant that tries food from every nation then itÂ’s a bad sign but I would still expect to have more than 2 choices for a main course especially in a French restaurant with the French famed for their fine cuisine.
    Anyway will give it a go this weekend and will report back my findings! ;)

thanks

it's three courses I believe - a steak a fish and a veggie. Lots of desserts too. I'd say they may expand when they see what's popular, but it's very efficient this way, and the wine bar aspect is the thing that's selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

inisboffin wrote: »
    it's three courses I believe - a steak a fish and a veggie. Lots of desserts too.
    Yes - They are the options.
    We were in there on Fri night.
    It was very busy but relaxed in a nice way.
    We had the steak which was delicious.
    They have a large selection of French wines which vary from a very reasonable 14€ bottle of house wine to a 600€ bottle if you've won the lotto!
    The staff were very friendly, and the music was very nice.
    All in all, it was well-above average and I look forward to returning sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Greenview

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

dilallio wrote: »
    Yes - They are the options.
    We were in there on Fri night.
    It was very busy but relaxed in a nice way.
    We had the steak which was delicious.
    They have a large selection of French wines which vary from a very reasonable 14€ bottle of house wine to a 600€ bottle if you've won the lotto!
    The staff were very friendly, and the music was very nice.
    All in all, it was well-above average and I look forward to returning sometime soon.

Im interested to know how you like your steak? I'd like mine quite rare for instance, also what cut did they serve? it's striploin

Would you recommend rouge for taking someone on a date type scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What does the starter consist of?

They're advertising starter & main for €15 on their website - are there any day/time restrictions on this? If not then that's good value I reckon (all depends on how nice the steak is I guess!)

JohnCleary wrote: »
    What does the starter consist of?

They're advertising starter & main for €15 on their website - are there any day/time restrictions on this? If not then that's good value I reckon (all depends on how nice the steak is I guess!)

There's an 'amuse bouche' starter. It varies but is usually a tapas-type plate with bruschetta or pate toast, olives, cheese, pickles. Not loads but just enough.

The fish is usually amazing too, and the mains come with a choice of 4 diff spuds, or ratatouille side or sumtin else.

Generally yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

French Girlfriend loved in.

Really like how they mention on the menu where all the ingredients are sourced.

Advertisement