Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hows the weather suiting you?

• 21-06-2011 2:43pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well now,

Its the 21st of june and it is lashing rain so bad that the satellatite dish for the tv is on the blink.

Got a bit of spraying done on sunday, but there is more to do. Only good thing is the reseedsd grass is getting a good start. Still have some silage to do.

So what is it like where you are?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

in tipp, weather is crap. no silage in yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

No silage done. Ground too wet to travel on. Cows ploughing to their bellies in muck. Grass very scarce. Had 50 bales of silage over when the cows got out- its all gone now. Turf still on the ground - as wet as they day they were cut (May Bank Holiday Monday).

So far its been a really bad summer. Need a bit of heat soon to make the grass grow and if the man above could turn off the tap for a week or two it would be great or at least divert it to somewhere that needs rain!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

First cut all done, some second cut but no panic yet. Lashing here now so at least suiting that as got heavy slurry after, calves are in again tho. This rain may upset my rotation as due into some heavier ground tomorrow, must check it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Today must be the longest crappiest day of the year
    Cows doing more trampling than eating grass now and land getting too wet for tractor work:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its been one of the worst May/June Combos I can remember!!:( - only July can save this summer IMO from being just as bad as too many recent ones!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

waterford city by the sounds of it is doing fine,five paddocks taken out for silage ,should have taken out 2 more, first cut in only 5 acres left and thats on for next week before going on hols. ground conditions are very good and could take a lot more rain but i dont want it thanks,the wind has been at it here as well but growth ok and helps with cattle gone.a small country and yet we are flooded in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

May was too dry, needed the rain, now have enough for a little while, ground conditions still good, wouldn't mind the rain if it got a bit warmer and this weekend should bring some heat so won't complain.

Min wrote: »
    May was too dry, needed the rain, now have enough for a little while, ground conditions still good, wouldn't mind the rain if it got a bit warmer and this weekend should bring some heat so won't complain.

We had rain for 27 out 31 days in May. If we could pipe the water to ye we'd be millionaires!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Worst growth year I have seen in my memory. Normally cut silage second week June. Cut about a quarter of the ground last week. The rest next week I hope, but the rain we had last night and past three hours was unreal. Silage crop will be well back on normal. No grass regrowth after grazing so far this year. Calves getting blood scour left and right. I never before saw blood scour till this year:confused: Now I have a bit of silage after cutting a bit last week, I think I will house the autumn calvers and the bull for a while. I think (hope), the bull has done his duty on the spring calvers. This farming game, is fun! Thank God for the day job and the regular cheque (direct debit):P
    Tough going with Reilig, on all that wet land and using up 50 valuable bales when cows should be grazing in the sun:( Keep the faith:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It's all been backwards...
    April was ridiculous being so dry and warm....
    May was poor and showery, some grass growth..
    June has been bad, ground getting softer and low night time temperatures, frost 2 nights in June.. grass is at a standstill.. Silage waiting but ground not fit at the moment..
    It's gone from a good dry start to the year to being wet and cold, no real let up on the 10 day forecast either..

Our only saving grace was to have less large stock so the grazing ground hasn't got trampled, and we are only planning one cut of silage this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Dont be greedy reilig send it down here. Regrowth after silage is poor and topped ground stopped dead. I need about an inch of rain here to keep me going till august and i need it NOW.

Its funny that kerry gets the mosy rain in any year and now even people on heavy ground dont mind too much if there is a sup of rain.

Today is the most rain we have had in the last 6 weeks and as i look out now its bloody stopping:(

reilig wrote: »
    We had rain for 27 out 31 days in May. If we could pipe the water to ye we'd be millionaires!!!

It is a pity the way it worked out, the lack of rain here was really affecting grass growth and some of the ground was burning up and it was as hard as a rock, it took a lot of rain to get it right, worse on the hills here being more exposed to the wind than lower down.

Small island and one half getting too much rain and the other half crying out for rain.
    We got a little rain in May but it was useless as the wind would have it dried up before it could do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

blue5000 wrote: »
    So what is it like where you are?

Too damn cold.
    Too damn wet.
    Too damn windy.

But grand otherwise :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

johngalway wrote: »
    Too damn cold.
    Too damn wet.
    Too damn windy.

But grand otherwise :D
    :rolleyes:very lucky we have less stock than normal, our ground is heavy ....where is the drought your man was on about:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

let it rain:D need it can see the grass leapin outa d ground hope to have second cut in d pit in 6 or7 weeks. paddocks have started to recover unbelievably in d last week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

yesterday and today are the first 2 days of proper rain in months. Needed every drop but hope it remembers how to stop now

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

lads ye can come down here a soak the water out of my land with a sponge if ye want,iv fairly good ground only parts heavy but iv nothing growing its completely stopped, no silage done yet but hopefully the weekend now, and ill be putting in the heifers for abit on last years bales tomorrow id say:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

do we all live in the same country?we badly needed this rain as that wind just sucked the life out of everything, never saw anything like it.i have been going in to low covers (1000k)for about 11 weeks continuously and reckon the grass plant is now starved of energy and the dry weather meant it couldnt get at the fert.hopefully this will bring a bounce to make up for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I have no option but to put the cattle in for at least a week. The grass is making no battle as its cold and wet. The cows are walking it into the ground.
    Hopefully it will get a chance to recover if the weather improves next week.
    Some summer were haven, Feeling sick :mad:

Top left of the screen, where it says boards.ie (above find a forum), drop down menu there has edit my profile on it, be handy if people would put in their county, we'd have an idea of who's getting what in the line of weather. Wouldn't make location too specific all the same ;)

• Advertisement

remember when minister coveney went to the eu about getting the october payment of the sfp , i was saying what would be his reasoning in asking as at that time the weather was fine etc , now i know why ... hope we get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I think the western seaboard countys often get more rain than the rest of the
    country due to clouds coming in from the Atlantic being forced up over the mountains and the rain fizzeled out as it goes further inland
    Its being raining in kerry almost every day since april or at least every second day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Top left of the screen, where it says boards.ie (above find a forum), drop down menu there has edit my profile on it, be handy if people would put in their county, we'd have an idea of who's getting what in the line of weather. Wouldn't make location too specific all the same ;)

Done that John thks

djmc wrote: »
    country due to clouds coming in from the Atlantic being forced up over the mountains and the rain fizzeled out as it goes further inland
    Its being raining in kerry almost every day since april or at least every second day.

For some reason, the north west seems to get more rain. Its due to airflows (Geography in College) and the angle that they hit the west coast. South western counties escape the rain quite well but counties like Mayo, Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, and Donegal along with some parts of Fermanagh and parts of Cavan seem to get most of the rain. I travel 40 miles (leitrim to westmeath) to work every day. The difference in the weather is really noticable on a daily basis.

:confused:You must be in south kerry DJ. Ground is cracking up here. Yesterday is the second good days rain we have had in a month and my silage ground just starting to come

For some reason, the north west seems to get more rain. Its due to airflows (Geography in College) and the angle that they hit the west coast. South western counties escape the rain quite well but counties like Mayo, Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, and Donegal along with some parts of Fermanagh and parts of Cavan seem to get most of the rain. I travel 40 miles (leitrim to westmeath) to work every day. The difference in the weather is really noticable on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

reilig wrote: »

All you ever wanted to know about rainfall in Ireland, but were afraid to ask. :phttp://www.met.ie/climate/rainfall.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

In the north midlands here ..........cut the first cut on the 2nd of june about a week later than normal...........may and june so have been a joke but weanlings are thriving .....grass growth has been slow had to spread a lot more expensive C.A.N this year but have plenty of grass now....hoping for '' big'' second cut second week of august :) any one else hear august is suppose to be sorcher ? :D

Weather here this is how I would sum it up -
    Last November and December: lots of snow and ice, the last tme before the rain this June that we got a decent drop - even if it was snow.
    January - relatively dry
    February - as above but milder
    March - heaven - dry perfect grazing conditions
    April - dry
    May - too windy, cold and too dry
    June - thank God for rain, just some heat in the 20's would be appreciated.

I would say the first five months would be up there with the driest recorded.

• Advertisement

Signs of a heat surge over the weekend:D - sadly it mightn't make it to the NW:(

Min wrote: »
    May - too windy, cold and too dry

Lambing was great weather here in Connemara, very end of March through April. Our May was similar to yours, but the exception is it was wet here pretty much every day, if not raining then frequent showers. I'd say there was three dry days, four at the height of it here. Trying to get a day, or even half a day, to spray thistles, rushes or furze was a nightmare.
    Birdnuts wrote: »
    Signs of a heat surge over the weekend:D - sadly it mightn't make it to the NW:(

"Lies, damned lies, and weather forecasts."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Just pushed over 2,000 bales made last Monday. 120 bales of silage done for ourselves. Ground wet and grass very scarce. Feeding bales to the cattle in a trailer like this. Hoping to do small square hay bales if the weather comes fine, looks like we'll be waiting a while...

"Lies, damned lies, and weather forecasts."

You must have seen the latest model runs:( - sure enough the heat has gone and all we get is torrential rain for much of the weekend!!:confused:

PS: I'm on the point of giving up on this so-called summer - which appears to consist of a few hrs between bouts of autumnal muck!!:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pat73

Any one got any idea of the long range weather forecast?.That new zealand fellow usually gets it close but i didnt get his predictions for july.Like alot of people i am waiting for a hot spell to make abit of hay.My crops are getting abit strong and are prob flat after the heavy rain today.

Neighbour baled his small field of hay yesterday evening, bales are propped up against each other there now getting a good wash.

• Advertisement

Neighbour baled his small field of hay yesterday evening, bales are propped up against each other there now getting a good wash.

Hay?? :eek:

It must have been fairly green stuff!!
    Did he have it down for long??

I think he cut it Saturday. Passed by when he was going into the field thinking, uh oh, that's a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

pat73 wrote: »
    Any one got any idea of the long range weather forecast?.That new zealand fellow usually gets it close but i didnt get his predictions for july.Like alot of people i am waiting for a hot spell to make abit of hay.My crops are getting abit strong and are prob flat after the heavy rain today.

July is mideling-good/ august is meannt to be very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I have reverted to wearing thermals today the 24th of June, the lawn hasnt being cut in 3 weeks and still doesnt need to, and many acres of spring crops are close on failed. apart from that all is rosey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I have reverted to wearing thermals today the 24th of June
    Went out today to take down a fence that was used strip grazing. Pull-ups, waterproof oiler coat, thermal socks, wellies, wooly hat. Sure that's June gone without any ''hay-days.'' July and August would want to be crackers to make up for it...

• Advertisement

have the fire lit:rolleyes: must go and look at the calves i let out for the first time this morning:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    have the fire lit:rolleyes: must go and look at the calves i let out for the first time this morning:o

jebus I'd say there's some humps on them...
    have some yearlins on our farthest fields, went down with a wee bit of meal and they didn't move from under the hedge...wouldn't blame them either

sent the kids to school this morning with their t shirts on , no jumpers , was at a discussion group meeting and all i could thibk about was getting home to bring jumpers up to them in the school , they where very happy to see me

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

After today i think a mounding bucket for the digger and a few bags of trees have jumped to the top of my shopping list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

After today i think a mounding bucket for the digger and a few bags of trees have jumped to the top of my shopping list

snortler and a life jacket needed here for work in the morning as im digging out a slatted tank and there is now a little water in the hole

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Looking forward to seeing how poached a(wet) paddock is in the morning. Good luck bob in that tank.:pac:

When i said i wanted a sup of that water you were getting up the country i wasnt expecting to get it all in one 24 hours. The river bounding me is as high now as it was 2 years ago and there are rivers flowing along the ditches looking for somewgere to go. All bloody extremes. What happened to a bit of soft rain?

looking at mt craniums forecast there is nothing there to say its going to stay dry for any lenght of time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

5live wrote: »
    When i said i wanted a sup of that water you were getting up the country i wasnt expecting to get it all in one 24 hours. The river bounding me is as high now as it was 2 years ago and there are rivers flowing along the ditches looking for somewgere to go. All bloody extremes. What happened to a bit of soft rain?

Welcome to da club(not med though):rolleyes:

blue5000 wrote: »
    Welcome to da club(not med though):rolleyes:
    Glug glug gluuuugggg......:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement