Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Series5 (LE46C530..) to PS3 connection problem

Options
  • 21-06-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I have a question that is hard to phrase in a manner suitable to getting an answer from a web search.

I have a 3 month old Samsung LE46C530F1W(XXU?) TV (it was a relatively old model when I purchased it) with 1.5 year old PS3 slim 250GB (it would have been the best available model at the time). Both devices bought in different bricks-and-mortar stores.

On TV the PS3 shows as HDMI-CEC PlayStation3 (uses Samsung Anynet+). When I select that source it automatically switches to HDMI2 (one of the other HDMI ports). I have only one port connected to anything (PS3). Obviously when it switches to HDMI2 it just black screens as there's nothing on HDMI2. When I refresh the inputs via TV's menu it doesn't change any behaviour. TV can pick up Component, EXT, USB, AV. PS3 physically looks & sounds fine ie correct lights are on, can hear the fan and drive whirr up.

In short I can see nothing on the TV that originates from PS3. I have no other device that outputs HDMI and no other TV with a HDMI input.

I tried the obvious namely, switching HDMI inputs, turning it on and off again(genius, I know), using different HDMI cable, disabling Anynet+ and trying to select the correct HDMI input (HDMI3), but it keeps going to a different HDMI channel. It's slightly possible one of my pesky meddling :D kids decided to change some setting deep in the menu, but nothing looks wrong. The same terrific kids are putting me under massive pressure to get this sorted yesterday.

I tried to update the TV's firmware, but for some reason it doesn't work. It was bundled with firmware from 2005 called T-MSX5DEUC-2005.4 (even though I bought it in 2011), and the latest firmware is 2011, but it won't upgrade to the new version - it simply doesn't recognise the firmware on the thumb-drive connected to the TV. I am slightly unsure as to whether I have the correct firmware. I got it from Samsung website by typing in the TV model and I was presented by two further refinements in terms of which firmware to download. One was LE46C530F1W and the other was LE46C530F1WXXU I don't know which I have. Anyway, both options lead to a download that is the same size and name (T-MSX5DEUC-2011.0). There were also options with the name T-TDT5DEUC-1024.1 but I discounted those as they weren't the same naming format as the one that's on the TV currently.

I don't know if it is a TV problem or a PS3 problem. I don't really know where to turn to. I'd typically just do my own searches on the www. If I phone Samsung I expect I'll be told it a Sony problem and vice-versa, likewise for the stores (that's just the way 'Service' works these days?).

Anyone experience something similar or have suggestions? As I write the above I think it's slightly more likely a TV problem. Is there a Samsung Service Menu that could help? I'll think about upgrading PS3 firmware (I last did this about 6 - 9 months ago). Can't remember if I have to log on to PSN to do so. I have steered well clear of PSN since it's meltdown.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Disclaimer: I know little about the LE46C530 and squat about the PS3!

Is it possible that the PS3 is set to use a different output (e.g., component rather than HDMI)? No idea whether it's HDMI output-only or not. Might be possible that the TV recognises the PS3 through HDMI (i.e., the port is always active for identification) even when a different PS3 output is in use.

Your firmware update process is correct. As far as I know UK-spec (and presumably Irish) spec models have the "U" suffix. If the update doesn't work I wouldn't force it, might end up bricking the TV.

Maybe bring the PS3 to a neighbour's to see where the problem lies?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Have you tried resetting the video output on the PS3 by holding the power button for 5 seconds while turning it on? This will reset the video resolution to standard def.

Advertisement