Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Enabling the exchange in Coon.

Options
  • 21-06-2011 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering, when is Eircom planning to roll out DSL in the Coon Exchange, Co. Kilkenny? (Eircom Exchange Code: COO)?

Our exchange was one of the exchanges which Eircom announced in late 2008 or so that were going to be upgraded by early 2010.

Q1 2009 was the original date given by Eircom for the exchange to be enabled. I'm emigrating to Kuwait in August and my folks need to be able to contact me as I won't have ready access to a landline when I get there. Every other exchange in the area has long since been upgraded. (at least the ones which were listed)

My folks have been customers of Eircom/Telecom Eireann/P&T since the late1970's... if they can't get DSL soon, they will have to get the line disconnected because they hardly use the landline any more. They need at the minimum a 2Mbps line to be available. It's simply not acceptable in this day and age to expect people to use dial-up. There is no other fixed line alternative, and frankly they do not want to sign up for 3G service as the connection is not suitable or stable enough for their needs (Skype etc.).

I really need a straight answer as to the realistic timescale for DSL service to become available in their area, and if it will be made available in a reasonable amount of time. They're only 0.5km from the exchange so I don't foresee any great issue with the line once it's been enabled.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

trekkypj wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering, when is Eircom planning to roll out DSL in the Coon Exchange, Co. Kilkenny? (Eircom Exchange Code: COO)?

Our exchange was one of the exchanges which Eircom announced in late 2008 or so that were going to be upgraded by early 2010.

Q1 2009 was the original date given by Eircom for the exchange to be enabled. I'm emigrating to Kuwait in August and my folks need to be able to contact me as I won't have ready access to a landline when I get there. Every other exchange in the area has long since been upgraded. (at least the ones which were listed)

My folks have been customers of Eircom/Telecom Eireann/P&T since the late1970's... if they can't get DSL soon, they will have to get the line disconnected because they hardly use the landline any more. They need at the minimum a 2Mbps line to be available. It's simply not acceptable in this day and age to expect people to use dial-up. There is no other fixed line alternative, and frankly they do not want to sign up for 3G service as the connection is not suitable or stable enough for their needs (Skype etc.).

I really need a straight answer as to the realistic timescale for DSL service to become available in their area, and if it will be made available in a reasonable amount of time. They're only 0.5km from the exchange so I don't foresee any great issue with the line once it's been enabled.

Hi trekkypj,

Thanks for your query. If you can PM your home phone number I will check this for you.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bet you there is no date ( = abandoned). It was announced in March 2007 not in 2008. Get Phil Hogan to hassle their asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Bet you there is no date ( = abandoned). It was announced in March 2007 not in 2008. Get Phil Hogan to hassle their asses.

Might be worth a try...

Wasn't sure of the date so opted to be on the generous side. After all, what's another year when you've been waiting so long :rolleyes:

4.25 years line rental gouged from the people of Coon under false pretences.

That would be 51 x €26 a month or €1326 total. A Nice little earner I call it :(

March 2007 Announcement

http://www.finfacts.ie/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10009671.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

4.25 years line rental gouged from the people of Coon under false pretences.

That would be 51 x €26 a month or €1326 total. A Nice little earner I call it :(

March 2007 Announcement

http://www.finfacts.ie/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10009671.shtml

What kills me is that I've been trying to get an answer since 2006 at least. Five years waiting so far. :eek:

• Advertisement

trekkypj wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi trekkypj,

Thanks, received your PM.

Regards,
    Ant

Hi Sponge Bob,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

Can you let me know if there's anything we can help you with, or can you advise if you're working for a third party company?

If you are just being helpful to other posters, is there any thing I can do for you.

All the best,
    Ant

Can you let me know if there's anything we can help you with
    There is.

Eircom promised to ADSL Enable 319 Exchanges in March 2007. As of today the exchanges listed below are not complete. Can you get a date by which each of these exchanges will have ADSL. The Quarter will do, eg Q1 2013 or something.

Here is the list full of those exchanges promised by you in March 2007 and that are not live in June 2011, over 4 years later. Simply post an expected live quarter for each of these and thanks.

Connacht

Roscommon:

Ballyforan^
    Monksland^

Leitrim:

Carrigallen^
    Cloone^
    Leitrim Village *

Sligo

Coolaney^

Galway

Lettermore *
    Kilrickle^

ULSTER

Donegal

Rossknowlagh*
    St. Johnston^

Monaghan

Annyalla^
    Rockcorry*

MUNSTER

Cork

Ballycotton*
    Ballydesmond^
    Knocknagree^
    Knockraha^

Kerry

Duagh^
    Scartaglin*

Waterford

Ballymacarbry^

Tipperary

Cloughjordan^
    Ballyporeen^

Limerick

Bruree^

Leinster

Westmeath

Milltownpass*

Kilkenny

Oldtown^
    Coon^

Dublin

Naul

Kildare

Calverstown^

Hi Sponge bob,

Thanks again. Can you please PM your home phone number on the exchange(s),
    and if you can advise on previous query - if you have an interest with another phone or Internet provider.

Kind regards,
    Ant

if you have an interest with another phone or Internet provider.
    None, neither as staff contractor nor consultant
    and if you can PM your home phone number on the exchange(s),

There is no point PMing any number until the exchange is live.

Now give us the live dates or state no live date. Simples

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Have Eircom staff been ordered to respond to every query relating to enabling Exchanges with "Can you PM me your number?"

Why is Eircom refusing to list the Exchanges that will be enabled in the future?

Great work Sponge Bob in exposing Eircoms misinformation and false claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

regress wrote: »
    Have Eircom staff been ordered to respond to every query relating to enabling Exchanges with "Can you PM me your number?"

Why is Eircom refusing to list the Exchanges that will be enabled in the future?

Great work Sponge Bob in exposing Eircoms misinformation and false claims.

Hi Regress
    The reason we ask for a telephone number is to ensure that we are offering information on the correct exchange. We have found that sometimes customers have assumed that the nearest exchange is the one servicing them, however it may be a different exchange. We have advised customers on exchange upgrades to exchange name provided only to find that is not the correct exchange. Because of this we ask for the telephone no. This is done to ensure we provide correct info and not mis-lead the customer.
    Hope this answers your query.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

The problem with that Tony is that as a result of the ubiquity of mobile phones many people no longer require a landline and will have one only because it is a prerequisite for receiving fixed line broadband. Many people in areas that have not been enabled will have given up waiting by now and cancelled their landlines. I don't quite understand why you can't determine Exchange from geographic address. It also seems like a way of keeping information on which Exchanges won't be enabled private. PM ing poster rather than posting it publicly.

Once again why won't Eircom publish the following information.

1 A list of Exchanges that will be enabled in the future

2 A list of Exchanges that will not be enabled in the future.

No need even to be that specific. Something along the lines of.

C Exchange will be enabled in 2012
    D&E Exchanges will be enabled in 2014
    F,G & H Exchanges will be enabled by 2019
    We have no plans to upgrade Exchanges K,L,M,X,Y,Z etc

Eircom ant and Tony

Where is the list I and other asked for??

Note that I only want live dates for exchanges that YOU promised in Spring 2007.

The problem with that Tony is that as a result of the ubiquity of mobile phones many people no longer require a landline and will have one only because it is a prerequisite for receiving fixed line broadband. Many people in areas that have not been enabled will have given up waiting by now and cancelled their landlines. I don't quite understand why you can't determine Exchange from geographic address. It also seems like a way of keeping information on which Exchanges won't be enabled private. PM ing poster rather than posting it publicly.

Hi Regress
    Yes we can determine from specific address, but hardly from general geographic area as more than one exchange may service that area, or exchange may ly outside of the customers townsland. As I have already posted we have been supplied with incorrect area details in the past, so the more exact the address the more exact the information. All of this we are happy to provide to the customer either publicly or by PM, their own choice, however we do ask that this information is posted to us by PM for obvious reasons.

As I have pointed out in past posts, we do release information on exchanges to be upgraded in near future or ones that have recently been enabled / upgraded and even maps and options to enter your own tel number to see if exchange will be upgraded to NGB for example. We are happy to provide any such information when available.
    Tony

As I have pointed out in past posts, we do release information on exchanges to be upgraded in near future or ones that have recently been enabled / upgraded and even maps and options to enter your own tel number to see if exchange will be upgraded to NGB for example. We are happy to provide any such information when available.
    Tony
    Tony , these exchanges I listed should have been enabled by June 2009 . There is nothing unreasonable about providing some certainty to your customers in June 2011....it is hardly like I am asking you for an apology as well.

List all the exchange live dates. !

Hi Regress
    Yes we can determine from specific address, but hardly from general geographic area as more than one exchange may service that area, or exchange may ly outside of the customers townsland. As I have already posted we have been supplied with incorrect area details in the past, so the more exact the address the more exact the information. All of this we are happy to provide to the customer either publicly or by PM, their own choice, however we do ask that this information is posted to us by PM for obvious reasons.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woganm

What is the latest update on the coon exchange. I dont currently have a number as I got it disconnected as the exchange was not updated. So can you let me know if its ever going to be upgraded please.

Advertisement