Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

CramCycle wrote: »
    True but the level design in HALO is linear, there are not multiple paths, if you can't see this then this discussion is pointless because you seem unable to see what almost everyone else can in this instance. [...]

This discussion is pointless, because you're confusing two different concepts and your entire post is a strawman argument. Read: "You slightly misunderstood the discussion, then. What you are referring to is linear progression and linear objectives, not level design" and "The discussion pertains to the space in which Halo: Combat Evolved plays, not its sequentiality in either progression (player starts at A and ends at B) or objectives/tasks (to end at B, player has to do X and then Y)". Everything you are referring to is progression, not level design and I illustrated the distinction with an example (this wasn't to the benefit of my argument, just to help you understand the distinction between the two, because, as per your post, it is necessary). You are repeatedly confusing the two and so too is Johnny in his last post.

You don't understand 'linear', either, by your usage of it: "maybe someone else mentioned" it "on a google search and you got confused?". By your logic, this room has linear level design, which I hope you agree is ridiculous, because its design is not linear (circular: left, right and middle paths to the exit which a player can retreat back to the entry point). And as I said (strawman argument), I did not claim that Halo was the first game to have circular level design; it was already an established principle of good FPS level design, mainly in multiplayer maps.

If you understood Boolean logic, you wouldn't have objected, which you did and said ("clearly have no idea") to my usage of the term because it is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    This discussion is pointless,

That's the smartest thing said in this thread so far, there are so many tl;dr posts in here it not even funny anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I didn't know this but apparently it will also support kinect. Has anyone else used kinect for shooters here? do they think it could be a bad idea (I haven't used it for any shooters yet).

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/308057/halo-ce-anniversary-has-kinect-support/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's probably just head tracking which at this moment in time is novel so we'll see how it pans out when it does come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just googled "circular level design" and the only things I can find in relation to it are this thread, a comment on a Reach article and a throwaway line in a preview of Burger Time HD.

Seriously, you have made this term up to suit your needs and are so far gone with the lie, you now believe it to be truth.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Seriously, you have made this term up to suit your needs and are so far gone with the lie, you now believe it to be truth.

you can apply that to just about everything kubrick has said about Halo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's probably just head tracking which at this moment in time is novel so we'll see how it pans out when it does come out.

I remember my flatmate setting up a game which used head tracking before on a XNA game he designed but I can't remember how he accomplished firing without a controller. That was about 3 years ago or more, how sensitive is the kinect, will it pick up individual digit movement for firing possibly or do people think they will they give in and get a gun to go with the kinect for such games?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Head tracking where the person is in fixed position looking forward (like a car for example) is doable on a flat screen as it's somewhat restricted...but for something like this wouldn't you really need the display to move with your head?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Head tracking where the person is in fixed position looking forward (like a car for example) is doable on a flat screen as it's somewhat restricted...but for something like this wouldn't you really need the display to move with your head?

Your right, wasn't thinking when I said it but it might work off hand movement instead, point the direction you want to move and bring your hand back to the default area to stop direction changing, the further away from the default position, the faster you turn. The head movement would be more for a rail shooter game instead IMO, maybe use a clench fist for fire and an open hand for cease fire? Change weapons, grenade throw and reload could be achieved through head movements? Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

CramCycle wrote: »
    Your right, wasn't thinking when I said it but it might work off hand movement instead, point the direction you want to move and bring your hand back to the default area to stop direction changing, the further away from the default position, the faster you turn. The head movement would be more for a rail shooter game instead IMO, maybe use a clench fist for fire and an open hand for cease fire? Change weapons, grenade throw and reload could be achieved through head movements? Just an idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just go along the ME3 lines with it, where you get voice control over AI characters. When they announced it for ME3, instead of something that could be done with the Live headset, I was hoping that they might incorporate it into the cover system - lean your head left/right/forward to peer out of/over cover, and the amount by which you lean out in the game is related to your leaning in front of kinect, or some such. I think that could be a valid use of kinect for head tracking with a flat screen, but it wouldn't work in Halo unless they fundamentally redesigned it to incorporate cover, which I don't see happening, and don't really want to see either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I doubt we'll see anything like that. It's a cheap port and the fact that they are changing nothing else about the game makes me believe that they aren't going to go for a complete redesign of the NPC AI to incorporate kinect voice recognition.

I doubt we'll see anything like that. It's a cheap port and the fact that they are changing nothing else about the game makes me believe that they aren't going to go for a complete redesign of the NPC AI to incorporate kinect voice recognition.

Maybe they'll have achievements based on the best impersonations of Master chief during the cut scenes :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just thinking about it and I really, really hope they see sense and release Halo 2 maps for it as DLC. That game still has some of the best designed multi-player maps in the series and with it no longer being playable online, it would make perfect sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just thinking about it and I really, really hope they see sense and release Halo 2 maps for it as DLC. That game still has some of the best designed multi-player maps in the series and with it no longer being playable online, it would make perfect sense.

Absolutely agree. I'm dying to see the maps included with anniversary. Campaign demo looks pretty good. Though they're expressly emphasizing that 'nothing is changed whatsoever'.

This looks f**king AWESOME

A Destructoid article just said that there's over 12 MP maps now, as opposed to the originally-announced 7. Always good, and at least they won't be cut out and charged as DLC. 7 seemed like a very small amount of maps

Apparently there's a video, too (On my phone, it isn't loading) www.destructoid.com/damnation-was-the-best-map-from-the-original-halo-208942.phtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

review is up http://clickonline.com/games/review--halo-combat-evolved-anniversary/4260/

in short
    it falls a little short for me

IGN gave it 8/10, noting more or less the same shortcomings.

Edge: 9/10.

Eurogamer: 8/10.

1UP: B.

• Advertisement

Some strange comments in all reviews about how dated the original looks. I think when it opens up in the outdoor levels it stills looks respectible. You'd swear some of them are seeing Halo on the 2600 when they press the back button. Only the covenant models look particularly nasty. Yes, Halo 2600 exists and is supposedly great:

halo2600.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

CE is the best halo game ever made, and the best HD update so far. the old version doesn't look bad at all but I'm used to playing xbox games as I still often play them, but its still a fine update.

put simply the best halo just got better, its downhill after CE. I've not liked any of the others.

Opposite opinion from me. Ce very much feels ten years old. You can shine it up however you like, but the fact remains that time hasn't been good to it

Well as I said before I think there's a lot of thngs wrong with the original that I wish were fixed in this edition. Almost all of it was due to the rushed development which resulted in reused assets. Those sections have certainly aged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Helix wrote: »
    Opposite opinion from me. Ce very much feels ten years old. You can shine it up however you like, but the fact remains that time hasn't been good to it

That's what makes the world go round, one man's rubbish is another man's treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just too many other games out right now, I bought the map pack for Reach instead (had 4100 points lying about) and I'll pick up the single player campaign second hand in the new year.

Prezactly

As a Halo fan, I'm on mission 3 and I'm loving it. It's indescribably awesome. Being able to switch between engines is endlessly entertaining, I'm at it every 5 minutes. Really, this is more a game made for fans, as a newcomer to the franchise admittedly the game core gameplay is a little dated compared to the cinematic games of late. But it's still incredible fun, and in fairness they never promised to change anything but the visuals...again, it's really a game for the Halo masses.

So far though I consider it 37.99 extremely well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Padgeman

Halo 2600 exists and is supposedly great.

Halo 2600 is impossibly hard. It is out there somewhere :D

Anniversary for me is just about reminiscing about how amazed I was 10 years ago when I got the first Xbox on the basis of how good Halo: Combat Evolved was. In one multiplayer session, I convinced 3 more people to get Xboxes. Loving it at the moment, it's nice being back on Damnation again in multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

The Halo series has a big enough fan base so this is probably only one for the dirhard fans and people who never played the original, like me. I had played the multiplayer a few times at friend's houses but never the original campaign. I'm currently playing through it (anniversary) and I'm finding it quite good, story being well delivered so far.

Ontop of all that it's only €40 so it's hardly a rip-off.

Advertisement