Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamster losing balance

• 21-06-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

I have a 2 and a half year old syrian hamster who over the past few weeks is going downhill. It started with her just generally slowing down, sleeping more and being less active, but gradually her balance is becoming worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVh70o3F61o

I took this video last night and as you can see her balance is very bad and she has a very bad shake. Overall there is slight weight loss and general loss of condition. I know she is quite old and tbh I expected there to be loss of condition and general slowing down but it's the loss of balance and shaking that has me stumped. Iv had hamsters before that as they've reached there end they have lost balance, but that was always near the very end when there had already been significant weight loss and muscle wastage. I suspect this time the weight loss is due to this balance problem because as you can see in the video she has problems holding her food due to the shake and problems balancing on her hind legs until she eats the food.

I'm thinking possibly an ear infection but there is no head tilt. I can't get a proper look at her teeth but from the glimpses of them I'v seen I wouldn't have said they are massively overgrown (although she has stopped chewing anything in her cage despite there being plenty to chew, and has also stopped eating the pellets in her food only eating the softer bits so if they are not already overgrown they will soon be).

I'm reluctant to bring her to a vet because there is no vet near me experienced in hamsters. Iv already tried 2 different vets with other hamsters I'v had and 1 was kind enough to admit to me she hadn't a clue what she was at, while the other basically told me my hamster was old buy a new one. :rolleyes: I'm thinking of bringing her in anyways and just asking them for some baytril just in case it is an ear infection.

As far as I know the nearest (and I use that in the loosest of terms as she's the other side of the country to me :rolleyes:) exotic vet is bairbre o malley, I'm thinking of giving her a call but would she really be willing to talk to me and advice me without actually seeing the animal in person.

So basically I don't really know what I'm asking for except opinions, suggestions or experiences people have had?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The High King

I can't particularly offer much help, but perhaps you could also try this place, it appears to be fairly lively - Link Or more specifically here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

She's going into vets this evening. She'l be put on antibiotics for a few days to see if there's any improvement but I'm not holding out much hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Is there any discharge? If so could it be pyometra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rachaelc

Hi
    unfortunately ive no advice for you just wanted to say sorry about your hamster and hope you find the help he needs soon.
    I hate when animals are sick because obviously they can't tell you whats wrong.
    It's horrible, i remember when my dog was sick, the blank expression on her face just killed me.
    Good Luck

Piperh you were spot on, I started googling before I brought her in and also suspected pyo and the vet confirmed that it was more than likely pyo. She's on antibiotics for 4 days now, but heres the fun part, I have to inject her :eek: Iv injected plenty of cats, dogs, horses and cattle but never anything as small as a hamster! :eek: Not made any easier by the fact she's not exactly finger friendly. :eek: Anyhow it'l be done bitten fingers or not and hopefully it'l help her. I bought some baby food for her also so hopefully some of that will perk her up.

Weird really that I'm so cautious of pyo in dogs and know what to look out for but yet I never even considered a hamster getting pyo nevermind MY hamster getting pyo. :rolleyes:

According to google though while antibiotics may fight off the infection it will most likely come back so emergency spaying is usually recommended! :eek: Where the hell am I going to find a vet who will spay a hamster! :eek:

• Advertisement

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Piperh you were spot on, I started googling before I brought her in and also suspected pyo and the vet confirmed that it was more than likely pyo. She's on antibiotics for 4 days now, but heres the fun part, I have to inject her :eek: Iv injected plenty of cats, dogs, horses and cattle but never anything as small as a hamster! :eek: Not made any easier by the fact she's not exactly finger friendly. :eek: Anyhow it'l be done bitten fingers or not and hopefully it'l help her. I bought some baby food for her also so hopefully some of that will perk her up.

Weird really that I'm so cautious of pyo in dogs and know what to look out for but yet I never even considered a hamster getting pyo nevermind MY hamster getting pyo. :rolleyes:

According to google though while antibiotics may fight off the infection it will most likely come back so emergency spaying is usually recommended! :eek: Where the hell am I going to find a vet who will spay a hamster! :eek:

Well at least you spotted it in time and now she is being treated. Hopefully the antibiotics will work quickly, although i don't envy you having to inject her. Only reason i suspected it was we had a hamster a few yrs ago and it got it and the symptoms were similar, unfortunatly we weren't quick enough and it was to late for ours:( otherwise i'd never have considered it either.

As to a vet spaying a hamster smith and foley small animal clinic in Navan were doing them up until middle of last yr but don't know if still are maybe its worth a call. :D

If she does miraculously recover I'l look into them piper.

She's still very weak today, but she still has a good appetite for baby food and the odd piece of seed and is still drinking water. Gave her the injection no bother. Not really sure if there's any improvement or disimprovement but she's still alive.

Just to let ye know it looks like shes slipped into hibernation, opened up the cage a while ago and actually thought she was gone but picked her up and she's very cold and it's like rigormortis is starting to set in she's quite hunched over and stiff but still breathing very slowly and won't open her eyes.
    Iv moved her into a box and put her on a hot water bottle, expect her to pass quite shortly so all I can do is keep her warm and comfy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Sorry to hear that :(

The poor little thing.

I had a hamster when I was young and its sad when they pass. :(

So sorry Zapperzy, its heartbreaking when anything happens to them. You gave the little girl the best chance and i'm sure she was happy during her time with you.

• Advertisement

Well all I'l say is Dora is one little fighter, god love her she's still hanging on. The heat seems to have helped her, she's much warmer, less stiff, a little more responsive opening and blinking her eyes and breathing faster. Iv syringed about 0.6ml of water into her and she's definitely drinking it. I'm working in the morning but if she's still hanging on when I finish work I'l have to get her pts'd, tbh I didn't expect she'd even last a trip to the vets when I found her earlier on and it's too late to bring her in now.

She's gone. RIP Dora. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Take pride and comfort in the fact that you went to far greater lengths to care for her than most people would for a little critter. She was very lucky to have you for her owner and lived a long life, for a hammy. Rest in peace little Dora. x x x

RIP Dora and be as happy in animal heaven as you must have been with Zapperzy. So sorry Zapperzy she obviously tried very hard to stay with you and you gave her so much love.

Advertisement