Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After-sales care and support for laptops

Options
  • 21-06-2011 3:53pm

I was just wondering what people's feelings are on the quality of after-sales care and support they received from their laptop manufacturers. I'm buying a new laptop soon and I'd feel a lot more secure going with a company that honours their warranties and provides decent support.

For the record, until recently I had a Toshiba Satellite A210 for 3+ years (until it got stolen :( I miss it much). I had taken out Toshiba's extended 3 year warranty. I had to send it back once and they fixed the problem (the optical drive) with no fuss. I always found them very courteous and helpful, and my laptop was gone for just over a week that time. They wouldn't cover the AC adapter though, which I thought was a bit mean...

I'm considering buying models from Samsung, Asus and Toshiba now, so I'd be particulary interested in people's experiences of the after-sales of those brands. But would be good to hear in general how people have got on with after-sales with the various manufacturers. Would be good to have it in the same thread (although maybe such a thread exists? I did check first...)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Its a bit catch 22 for me. Have needed to call on HP more than I should. But they are out next day with a tech for problems I cant fix or by mutual agreement will ship me parts that i feel like changing myself.

3yr Acc damage Carepack. IMO they are worth the money (€100~) for a no quibble service.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RDMH

Bought a HP DV 6700 series laptop about 2 years ago, paid a grand for it so thought I was buying quality. WRONG!! Wife just turned it on today and it tried to boot and then turned off and went into a loop of doing the same thing. Following some research it transpires that a number of the DV6xxx and DV9xxx series models have a design flaw that HP are aware of but will not issue a recall about, typically the issue does not present within the 1st year so for most it happens out of warranty (its the solder used to connect the Graphics Processing Unit to the motherboard), suggest you google HP DV6700 wont boot or Nvidia GPU problems for more information.

The point of the above rant is, don't by a HP laptop or if you do make sure you get an extended warranty (which you really shouldn't have to do).

If you were happy with your old Toshiba then I would recommend you stick with them.

You hear horror stories about every manufacturer, but the one that seems to me to keep coming up over and over is HP.

Two of my friends bought HP laptops (about 5 years ago) and neither of them made it past 3 years. And they weren't cheap laptops either. I don't know which exact models to be fair, although my friend did tell me that she googled it and the model she had had a known flaw - a very similar story to RDMH's. I

But maglite does recommend their customer service, and that's the point of the thread. I want to know that I'll be supported if my laptop breaks down, which has a high chance with any vendor.

Can anyone speak for Asus? Acer? Sony?

Advertisement