Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Best All Rounder Running Shoe? (Long dist+Sprints)

• 21-06-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I've recently upped my milage big time. I am running long distances and doing endurance training, but I am also starting speed training and sprints.

Up until now, I have been using Asics Blackhawk 4 as an all round athletics shoe. They have been of good service to me, but I think as they are a year old, and also since my work rate will significantly increase from now on, I feel that they don't quite cut it.

So the real question here is, what's the ultimate "all rounder" shoe? I realise it's mostly individual, but I really don't know a lot about shoes. Just to emphasise, I am doing long distance on the road and also on the track, but also with track sprints and track middle distance (mile). Also, I am a medium over-pronator I'm afraid :/. My budget is about 140 euro.

Thanks very much for reading and for any replies :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you're running long distance, you'll want a heavier shoe with more support.
    If you're sprinting, you want a very light shoe with no support.
    So you won't find a shoe that's great for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stamfordbridge

Ok, didn't realise that. Thanks Raycun, perhaps it's time to up that budget and get 2.

The Asics Kayanos are light (12oz), I thought they were supposed to be decent for long distance. I have had my eye on them but they come in at 120 on the internets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Some of the more "minimalist" footwear that is out there such as the Brooks Green Silence and the Saucony Kinvara seem to get great reviews as they are lightweight enough for the faster stuff and reviewers give them the thumbs up for support on the longer stuff.

I have a pair of these on order. Yes, I am going for the Ronald McDonald look but I am looking to move away from a heavily supported shoe, and thus lighter, and these get good reviews for transitioning to the less support.

I have the Kayano 17s and at 12oz they would be considered heavy. I moved onto Lunarglides2 which are lighter but have great cushioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

dev123 wrote: »
    Some of the more "minimalist" footwear that is out there such as the Brooks Green Silence and the Saucony Kinvara seem to get great reviews as they are lightweight enough for the faster stuff and reviewers give them the thumbs up for support on the longer stuff.

I have a pair of these on order. Yes, I am going for the Ronald McDonald look but I am looking to move away from a heavily supported shoe, and thus lighter, and these get good reviews for transitioning to the less support.

I have the Kayano 17s and at 12oz they would be considered heavy. I moved onto Lunarglides2 which are lighter but have great cushioning.

Was going to suggest the Green Silence. I've done 12 miles in them and also a good few 200 mt sprint intervals in them and the best thing I have to say about them is that you do not notice them, which in my book is a good thing.
    Now, a lot of other people notice them, but that can't be helped :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Also, I see from the other thread that OP is over 80kg. More weight generally means more support is needed.

• Advertisement

Dev123, at 6.9 oz they are very light. I'm liking the reviews I'm reading, must try them out. I don't mind how they look at all, in fact I love the look, not that asthetics are very important. In terms of a shoe capable of long dist and shrt dist speed, it seems right up there, also with regard to it's durability. Finally, they seem to come in at around €60-€90 depending on store, that's well within range. Thank You!
    RayCun wrote: »
    Also, I see from the other thread that OP is over 80kg. More weight generally means more support is needed.
    Thanks for noting that RayCun ;). In my defence I don't intend to keep it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Was going to suggest the Green Silence. I've done 12 miles in them and also a good few 200 mt sprint intervals in them and the best thing I have to say about them is that you do not notice them, which in my book is a good thing.

Great to hear another good review for these. I'm looking forward to trying them out myself.
    Dev123, at 6.9 oz they are very light. I'm liking the reviews I'm reading, must try them out. I don't mind how they look at all, in fact I love the look, not that asthetics are very important. In terms of a shoe capable of long dist and shrt dist speed, it seems right up there, also with regard to it's durability. Finally, they seem to come in at around €60-€90 depending on store, that's well within range. Thank You!

Thanks for noting that RayCun ;). In my defence I don't intend to keep it that way.

No probs SB. They are definitely at the lower price bracket for runners. With regards to the Ronald McDonald-inspired colour scheme I found it hard to get them in my size (size 9). I think the red/yellow scheme is last years and the green/black is this years. They have more colour schemes coming out soon AFAIK but I don't think their marketing department is continuing with the use of global fast food outlets for colour scheme inspiration!!!.

Might be better to try an intermediate weight shoe first before to going for something near-minimalist like the Green Silence. It might be a shock to your feet to change all of a sudden.

I have both Nike Lunarglides 2 and Saucony Kinvara.

I use the Lunarglides for longer runs (over 10 miles) and the the kinvara for shorter tempo workouts and races although could probably do long runs in Kinvara.

Lunarglides themselves are fairly light at about 10oz and work for neutral running but also have a bit of stability. They are good for mid-foot / forefoot running as the heel-to-toe-drop (height diff from heel to toe) is not huge unlike say with most ascis. Kinvara are near-minimilist and very light like the green silence but with a decent amount of cushion still.

Also OP, you will get a longer life out of a shoe if you alternate with another pair for running during a week (e.g. 1 day for 1 pair then use the other ones). Some say a rule of thumb is that with 2 pairs alternating you will get the equivalent of 3 pairs of shoes used non-alternated. So if you are sure that you will continue with running you might consider getting 2 pairs.

glasso wrote: »
    you will get a longer life out of a shoe if you alternate with another pair for running during a week (e.g. 1 day for 1 pair then use the other ones). Some say a rule of thumb is that with 2 pairs alternating you will get the equivalent of 3 pairs of shoes used non-alternated. So if you are sure that you will continue with running you might consider getting 2 pairs.
    Good point, thanks glasso :D. I'm definately cotinuing with running so it makes sense to get 2 pairs. Right now I'm thinking of the Brooks Green Silence and also a classic pair like asics kayanos. I'm going into a dedicated running store tomorrow, good old John Buckley will hopefully have a few to show me and also assess that gait of mine :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Brooks st5 another good option as they have more support then the green silence and little more cushioning.

I would reccomend Mizuno inspire as a good show as an all rounder or the asics ds trainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

the red and yellow erm Green Silence are available from an anamon.co.uk seller for less than GBP50. They've been sitting in my basket for a good while, waiting for the black and green ones to wear out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Just wanted to say +1 on the Green Silence - I've got two pairs. Did my first marathon in them last year, as well as all the training (intervals, tempos, long runs and everything in between). The newer pair is a little fresher but, overall, they've worn very well.

re: Ronald McDonald colours - I'm not mad on the new colour scheme - I've been looking to get more of the red/yellow versions online since they were discontinued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Given that you are going to be hitting base phase first and as such fast intervals wont be as important for the first few months I would suggest getting a well supported shoe. Your base miles and early phase training will not have too much emphasis on top end speed so I would hold off on the light weight racers (used in sessions)
    Once the weight begins to drop and your training progresses to a state state of higher intensity then i would consider racers.

Personally I use the Reebok Verona Supreme. Well supported shoe. Took body little time to adjust but they fit like a glove now. Having said that I am not quite injury prone and can usually get away with wearing most shoes

When iit comes to racers I am a Brooks fan and I dont think that any company can compete. Run in the T5s but am going to look into the T7s as an upgrade as mine are coming close to the end of their life at this stage (had them a few years)

Advertisement