Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strongest Radar RETURN

Options
  • 21-06-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

On looking at todays Radar images from Met Eireann, theres some nice Red Echo returns... Meaning 8 - 32 mm/hr .

Has anyone ever seen the NEXT ONE UP??? the odd blue/grey one? .. meaning 32mm/hr and up... i know its really rare for over here but surely it can happen sometimes...

I remember a few years ago there was a crazy shower here, the road turned into a river! .. and i could of sworn that it was to be that colour on the radar but no.. only red ....

So ye... anyone ever seen it?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Iancar29 wrote: »
    On looking at todays Radar images from Met Eireann, theres some nice Red Echo returns... Meaning 8 - 32 mm/hr .

Has anyone ever seen the NEXT ONE UP??? the odd blue/grey one? .. meaning 32mm/hr and up... i know its really rare for over here but surely it can happen sometimes...

I remember a few years ago there was a crazy shower here, the road turned into a river! .. and i could of sworn that it was to be that colour on the radar but no.. only red ....

So ye... anyone ever seen it?

Have never seen it on the Met Eireann Radar but have seen that rate or higher on the High Res Netweather Radar. Even now looking at it there are echos above 60mm/hr in N. Ireland.

I had a rain rate of circa 170mm/hr briefly earlier this year in a thunderstorm near arklow.
    It was serious serious rain.
    I've seen a few episodes above 100mm/hr over the year recording witha Davis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I've seen it a few times, but it's usually a very small area and hard to notice ....

There's actually some showing up on the latest radar image. I checked the colour in photoshop and it's definitely the same as the > 32mm/hr colour :)

You can press ctrl +/- in your browser to zoom in/out on the met.ie radar image (ctrl - 0 to reset).

164080.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Rougies wrote: »
    I've seen it a few times, but it's usually a very small area and hard to notice ....

There's actually some showing up on the latest radar image. I checked the colour in photoshop and it's definitely the same as the > 32mm/hr colour :)

You can press ctrl +/- in your browser to zoom in/out on the met.ie radar image (ctrl - 0 to reset).

164080.png

Ah brilliant! Ha .. Just as I go away from my pc!
    I was zooming in on the previous few scans and was hopefully of seeing some!

Well caught Rougies! .. When I was in the states I would of loved to see our type of radar for some of the storms tha we got to!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What's absolutely hillarious about this is that I came here to talk about the Dublin Airport radar now exaggerating rainfall amounts! Perhaps exaggerate is not the word... when red echoes are apparently over my head and there's no rain or just light drizzle. Even before the upgrade, I'm convinced that the radar marks out showers slightly too much to the south (i.e. by about 3 or 4 km) in my part of the world.

The rain marked out in that picture above was indeed heavy, and I think it was about that time when I could hear one clap of thunder but I've certainly seen far worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement