Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

760Li - Am I mad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

What are you coming from?

Have you owned anything previously which would have similar running costs?

S.

I've had 5 Beemers, ranging from an E28 528 to a brand new E53 X5. Currently have an elderly E39 Touring. The old ones always cost a bit to keep going, but this could be in a different league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Seeing as road tax rates are so reasonable in the UK, I think buying a 760Li would be a relatively sane thing to do.

Alternatively; if you go for an XC90, make sure it has the Yamaha V8.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Tip us off if that e39 goes up for sale, particularly if it's a 525d. ;)

dahamsta wrote: »
    Tip us off if that e39 goes up for sale, particularly if it's a 525d. ;)

It's (only) a 520i! But running perfectly. Just had inspection 2. Will let you know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I Was VB wrote: »

2002 was the first year of the new 7er and theyve ironed out a lot of issues since then , in fairness a lot of the complaints in that video were for things like rattles , which on a car that was being used day in day out and racking up mad miles is not unexpected.

I still think the older 7er (e38) is much more reliable, but a lot of issues in the newer model were ironed out by 2003-2004

in fairness, every car can have issues and recalls http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/recalls.jsp?modelID=A4&modelName=Carina+E&makeName=Toyota&makeId=E6

2002 was the first year of the new 7er and theyve ironed out a lot of issues since then , in fairness a lot of the complaints in that video were for things like rattles , which on a car that was being used day in day out and racking up mad miles is not unexpected.

I still think the older 7er (e38) is much more reliable, but a lot of issues in the newer model were ironed out by 2003-2004

in fairness, every car can have issues and recalls http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/recalls.jsp?modelID=A4&modelName=Carina+E&makeName=Toyota&makeId=E6

Any issues are likely to have been addressed while under guarantee. The car would also have had regular software updates.

Indeed, it's much like the Nikasil thing with earlier BMs, everyone still warns you about it but it's entirely redundant at this stage -- if it hadn't been fixed, it'd be long dead by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Indeed, even my Avensis had a engine block replaced at 90K miles under warranty, thing is the BMW is a $200000 from new and has a list that long of faults that should never of been. Also there is a trend on motors of spending other peoples money. ''Go for it'' ''Sure ya'd be mad not to buy it'' is a very easy thing to do when its not your money, just giving a balance here....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Nexo

This model is prone to a coolant pipe o ring failure, located in the valley pan. Be sure to check it underneath if there are any signs of coolant leaking walk/run away as the repair bill would be well in excess of €3000.
    If it checks out ok go for it :) I own a 2002 745i (coolant repair done) with 84k which is the same spec as the car your viewing ie 18 way heated and ventilated seats nav tv dynamic drive variable suspension etc. For a big luxo barge the way it handles and accelerates seems to defy the laws of physics (its for sale at the moment if there are any takers on here) I can only imagine what the 6.0 440bhp model would be like :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Heart says yes, head says no.
    Not worth it imo but if you think you have the dosh to run it, go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

biko wrote: »
    Heart says yes, head says no.

If we all bought with the head only, we'd all be driving Octavias and the world would be a terribly boring place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Nexo wrote: »
    This model is prone to a coolant pipe o ring failure, located in the valley pan. Be sure to check it underneath if there are any signs of coolant leaking walk/run away as the repair bill would be well in excess of €3000.
    If it checks out ok go for it :) I own a 2002 745i (coolant repair done) with 84k which is the same spec as the car your viewing ie 18 way heated and ventilated seats nav tv dynamic drive variable suspension etc. For a big luxo barge the way it handles and accelerates seems to defy the laws of physics (its for sale at the moment if there are any takers on here) I can only imagine what the 6.0 440bhp model would be like :)

Is the V12 also prone to the coolant pipe failure? Thought it was just the V8. (and the repair cost is VERY well in excess of €3k!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I think its the V8 only too. And its about €3k with that American garages fix, otherwise its way more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

These threads are funny. One third the posters are total petrol heads and the thought of a v12 make them go a bit funny in the trouser department. One third are dont see the point and cant fathom why you would want such a car over an octavia and the final third use it to list possible faults that could happened to this car at one time or another.

I fall into the petrol head segment. At that price thats a lot of car for the money. Yes its complex and expensive to tax, fuel and repair but thats why is priced so low. If you have the balls to own such a beast then its a cracker, if fuel, tax and repair bill scare you then this is not for you, just knowing there is the equivalent of 3-4 skodas/ mundeo / golfs under the hood is reward enough.

The V12 is prone to this as well
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXjZs9Zsf94

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The V12 is prone to this as well
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXjZs9Zsf94

Why is buffalo bill narrating that video "it puts the lotion in the basket"

OP this 760li seems a better bet with lower mileage and it has all the goodies such as radar cruise and massage seats
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-760Li-Saloon-AUTO-REAR-TVs-EVERY-EXTRA-/120648530318?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c1736798e

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

OP this 760li seems a better bet with lower mileage and it has all the goodies such as radar cruise and massage seats
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-760Li-Saloon-AUTO-REAR-TVs-EVERY-EXTRA-/120648530318?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c1736798e

If you could get the original one down to £5500 is that one worth twice the price though? I would think no. At 170k+ the original one clearly doesnt have any of the killer issues that haunt this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Matt Simis wrote: »
    If you could get the original one down to £5500 is that one worth twice the price though? I would think no. At 170k+ the original one clearly doesnt have any of the killer issues that haunt this thread.

Or there is possibly something only appearing now. A Limo company we used in the UK had cars of that vintage with double the mileage. I assume that was it's use in which case the mileage seems quite low tbh. For the price the last owner got for it and the way you can effectively hide a cars age with a private reg if it was running well would it not have made more sense to keep it until it died as the cost of replacing it would be quite high. Just a thought:)

In saying that if it checked out it would be an epic buy. I'd much prefer that to an S600.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Im just a sucker for gadgets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just when I thought petrolheads died out...

You live only once. If you don't care about petrol and do look at it realistically with highish maintenance costs - **** Yeah go for it!

You will be able to say - I had v12 6 litre monster.

You live in uk, enjoy it's perks! Lovely lowish car tax!

unkel wrote: »
    If we all bought with the head only, we'd all be driving Octavias and the world would be a terribly boring place :)

You could get the e65 in the boot though unkel. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Wow, thats the first B7 ive seen for sale in the UK in over year, incredibly rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Another vote for just getting it! You only get one twirl on life's merry go round!

unkel wrote: »
    Just when I thought petrolheads died out...

You live only once. If you don't care about petrol and do look at it realistically with highish maintenance costs - **** Yeah go for it!

You will be able to say - I had v12 6 litre monster.

You live in uk, enjoy it's perks! Lovely lowish car tax!

I emailed the dealer a wee while ago with a few queries. Will ring tomorrow if no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Wow, thats the first B7 ive seen for sale in the UK in over year, incredibly rare.

Here's one with Alpina styling:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2878131.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

unless that suddenly becomes the bi-turbo version , i think the 760's a better buy

• Advertisement

Here's one with Alpina styling:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2878131.htm

Saw that, no good if you're after a genuine one. :pac:

Advertisement