Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

760Li - Am I mad?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Might as well stick an M3 badge on the back of it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

Ninap wrote: »
    I'm living in the UK at the moment, and spotted this 760Li for sale (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201122388548228/sort/priceasc/usedcars/engine-size-cars/5lplus/model/7_series/make/bmw/radius/1500/postcode/w21sz/page/1?logcode=p)

It's very little money for such a car, even with 177k miles. Assuming that its service history checks out, and the electrics etc are all in good working order, surely it's good for another 75k miles minimum?

I know servicing will be very steep, but road tax over here is relatively low, and I qualify for discounted petrol through work, so fuel isn't a big concern.

But is it madness to even consider buying a V12?? (My wife would prefer a 7 seat 5 year old Volvo XC90 - cost around 11k stg. She's probably right, but that big 7 is very tempting.....)

Drum roll please.............

Well, I bought it.

Erm, the XC90 that is. Yes, the wife won the argument (she was right all along, we have 3 kids now and visiting grandparents etc, so a 7 seater is much more sensible).

The good news is that the XC90 is the 2.9L petrol and has lots of toys (extended leather, rear DVD screens, satnav, xenons, mini fridge (!), 6 cd player, Minidisc player (!!), Prologic surround, etc). 125k miles but FVSH and drives, no exaggeration, like new. Can cruise at 90-100mph in supreme calm. Downside is truly shocking fuel consumption, but there you go. All for princely sum of 6,975 stg. Not bad in my book. Some photos attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, I bought it.

Erm, the XC90 that is. Yes, the wife won the argument (she was right all along, we have 3 kids now and visiting grandparents etc, so a 7 seater is much more sensible).

The good news is that the XC90 is the 2.9L petrol and has lots of toys (extended leather, rear DVD screens, satnav, xenons, mini fridge (!), 6 cd player, Minidisc player (!!), Prologic surround, etc). 125k miles but FVSH and drives, no exaggeration, like new. Can cruise at 90-100mph in supreme calm. Downside is truly shocking fuel consumption, but there you go. All for princely sum of 6,975 stg. Not bad in my book. Some photos attached.

1277165281431.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Out of curiousity how bad is bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Well, I bought it.

Well wear - For 7k its some good value alright. Interior looks well.

• Advertisement

Out of curiousity how bad is bad?

I've only had it since Thursday, but had to do some long runs over the weekend. Fairly quick motorway driving seems to be equalling about 23 mpg......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I've only had it since Thursday, but had to do some long runs over the weekend. Fairly quick motorway driving seems to be equalling about 23 mpg......

WTH? Is it a 7 liter triple turbocharged special? 23mpg is terrible for the motorway. Unless you're doing 140mph that is.

Jesus, I'd get that in my 11 year old 740i if I was gentle with the right foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

nice motor - your lucky its the petrol one as the diesel is a tractor - the interior of yours looks very good, most seem to wear very poorly I think.
    My bro used to work for Volvo and was telling me a lot of XC90's were coming back with gearbox issues. seems they dont do more than 100k ( the country he was in would be 99.99% diesel so I don't know if this applies here but it worth noting )
    23mpg aint bad to propel a brick through the air at 100mph now is it ?
    best of luck with it.

Confab wrote: »
    WTH? Is it a 7 liter triple turbocharged special? 23mpg is terrible for the motorway. Unless you're doing 140mph that is.

He did say fairly quick, I got the impression he wasn't sitting at 120kph :)
    dahamsta wrote: »
    Jesus, I'd get that in my 11 year old 740i if I was gentle with the right foot!

I would have thought being gentle 30mpg wouldn't be hard on a motorway spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

OP you would have been better not reporting back with such bad news! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

OP you would have been better not reporting back with such bad news! :(

What, it's an XC90 Executive? That's still a nice motor.

The T6 has 272bhp and is a nice unit. The only problem is the gearbox which isn't really up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You see an OP post back in a 760li thread, you think happy days, he's got one! Nope, he ditched the €160k flagship for a XC90 under instruction from the wife. What more do you want to hear on a Motors forum? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hand over your man card OP, you forfeited it when you bought an XC90.

Confab wrote: »
    Hand over your man card OP, you forfeited it when you bought an XC90.

Somehow I'm thinking an X5 or an M-Class would be more acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Somehow I'm thinking an X5 or an M-Class would be more acceptable.

Not for me I would have the Volvo over them. I would prefer the 760 though. Tough call actually.

Thanks for the good wishes (and deserved abuse...). Re the gearbox, there were some fault codes showing on the diagnostic (but haven't returned after being cleared) but I've seen reports of expensive failures. Any preventative action to recommend? Is the transmission a sealed-for-life unit?

Any preventative action to recommend? Is the transmission a sealed-for-life unit?

I don't know the specifics, but it is GM's 4T60-E transmission and is probably the worst thing about the car.

One thing about Volvo ownership is that the owner's club forum is great. There are dozens and dozens of XC90 owners on it who are incredibly knowledgable and only glad to help: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

760li no XC90 yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY
    Khan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

760li no XC90 yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY

SWMBO

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    I would have thought being gentle 30mpg wouldn't be hard on a motorway spin.

Checked today, 23mpg since I last reset it. That's mostly country driving, fairly gentle apart from at least one impossible-to-resist overtake on most journeys, and usually a little city/town thrown in. I'd get 30+ from Cork to Dublin, easy; and probably a sustained 26-28 if I drove it like I borrowed it from a Skoda driver.

I'd take the 760Li over the Volvo in a heartbeat. And so would the wife. Shame on you OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

you needed to change your missus , not your car :pac:

the xc90 is lovely really, but its no 760

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I was in Citywest Dunnes the other day and some guy in a 760 revved his engine hard. It didnt sound all that great to me, seemed quite muted actually, would prefer an old V8. Also the heavy engine and LWB would affect handling. Wouldnt be my cup of tea other than a novelty for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Well wear on the XC90, a fully-loaded R-Design is on my "Lotto win" list (along with an M5 :))

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

lomb wrote: »
    I was in Citywest Dunnes the other day and some guy in a 760 revved his engine hard. It didnt sound all that great to me, seemed quite muted actually, would prefer an old V8. Also the heavy engine and LWB would affect handling. Wouldnt be my cup of tea other than a novelty for a week.

A fella came into me a few years ago with an S600 (neglected to mention that part at all until I asked was it as 3.2) and the sound off it was like a rocket ship. Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

A fella came into me a few years ago with an S600 (neglected to mention that part at all until I asked was it as 3.2) and the sound off it was like a rocket ship. Unreal

Over in the UK a few years ago, an 18 year old pulled up to me in a 911, not sure of the year but must have been a late model from the mid nineties onwards and floored it next to my stationary car and took off. Sounded like a race car. Fabulous sound track.
    The 760 might be a v12 but it didnt sound like anything to be honest and he revved it hard while stationary for some reason(probably to make himself feel important:)) before driving slowly off.
    Never heard the Merc V12 but always fancied an old shell V12 600sl. The v12 on the flanks said it all. Id say it sounded good...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

lomb wrote: »
    Over in the UK a few years ago, an 18 year old pulled up to me in a 911, not sure of the year but must have been a late model from the mid nineties onwards and floored it next to my stationary car and took off. Sounded like a race car. Fabulous sound track.
    The 760 might be a v12 but it didnt sound like anything to be honest and he revved it hard while stationary for some reason(probably to make himself feel important:)) before driving slowly off.
    Yeah, the BMW V12's dont really sound like anything without a custom exhaust. With a less restrictive setup they do have that jet engine turbine sound, at least the old SOHC blocks did. They will never sound like Ferrari V12s though, completely different engine design.

ONe of them a few hundred yards from me here, on English plates, have never heard it run though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I drove an XC90 2.9 for a few weeks about two years ago, nice enough motor similar to the op's leather, nav, screens etc etc. The only drawback of it was the fuel consumption...it was an absoloute tank on fuel. Normally I don't really give much attention to mpg with company cars etc, but this one stood out massively as a guzzler.

If you can live with that though you will enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Yeah, the BMW V12's dont really sound like anything without a custom exhaust. With a less restrictive setup they do have that jet engine turbine sound, at least the old SOHC blocks did. They will never sound like Ferrari V12s though, completely different engine design.

I remember the 750iL sounding pretty good in Tomorrow Never Dies.

Advertisement