Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco finally gets go ahead for Ballybofey

Options
  • 21-06-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

(..... continued from an ancient post on the NW forum if that's ok?)

Looks like this is finally going ahead -

http://www.donegal.ie/DCC/iplaninternet/internetenquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=1060312

Good news, but will raise certain questions from some, - like can Ballybofey accommodate three major supermarkets along with the various existing traditional stores aswell. Something has to give.

I for one think that the small time mentality of the Twin Towns, obvious political vested interest and local cartels over the years are the main reasons the town never flourished during the boom years and I for one welcome this news with optimism.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Fees Received: 16370.00! :eek:

I'd imagine even people from Donegal Town and environs might take advantage of Tesco in Ballybofey, handier than traipsing to Letterkenny.

I'd imagine there's still room for objections and ABP to stick their oar in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭swillybabe

Doubt there is room for another major retailer in Ballybofey. Most people in the are go across the border to Asda away.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It kinda goes without saying that the decision will be appealed which result in a further delay of 6 months or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

We have a Super Value and a new Lidl that just opened. That is in addition to the other shops that are already here. (Costcutter, Andy's, and Spar) Why do we need more? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

We have a Super Value and a new Lidl that just opened. That is in addition to the other shops that are already here. (Costcutter, Andy's, and Spar) Why do we need more? :rolleyes:

Tesco obviously see an opportunity there otherwise I doubt they would have tried to open a store. I don't see how creating employment is a bad thing in current times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

iMuse wrote: »
    Tesco obviously see an opportunity there otherwise I doubt they would have tried to open a store. I don't see how creating employment is a bad thing in current times.

Yeah i agree but also consider this.... With tesco opening i think that it will make some of the other local shops close down further on down the line, thus them jobs being lost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

more retail.. sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Someone's going to have to make way for them obviously, if a chain as big as Super Valu couldnt survive in Letterkenny then I can definitely see a few smaller retailers closing down once this opens

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Wait till the last minute of the last hour on the last day for the objection..,
    The same crap happened in Donegal town nearly ten years ago.. It ridiculous how it happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Anyone think we might have become a nation of shopkeepers? Tesco opening large numbers of stores is very bad news for our economy the profits made by these type of companies and heading straight for the Uk and other countries!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

cosanostra wrote: »
    Anyone think we might have become a nation of shopkeepers? Tesco opening large numbers of stores is very bad news for our economy the profits made by these type of companies and heading straight for the Uk and other countries!

Most of these big money people send their profits through other countries anyway to avoid tax. Much like our friend bono :D

I suppose if it causes small independent shops to close then that will be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

This has a lot of negatives and a lot of positives.

Small retailers cannot compete. Simple. However, the people with vested interests in retail in the twin towns are no longer sitting in the county council, this will help Tesco.

I dont think as many people are heading to Asda as say 2-3 years ago. There is good value to be had locally now, adding Tesco to the mix will put further downward pressure on prices. Just shows you how much money these ****ers were overcharging us for the last 10 years or more!
    This will create jobs in the short term both in construction and operation. No politician (that doesnt have a vested interest) will be seen to block this in this current climate. I just would like if some constraints were aplied to tesco ie. Use only local contractors in the build and the likes.

The twin towns could really do with some industry though. A factory/call center.... something!! Although I know you could say that about most medium size towns in the country at the minute.

Advertisement