Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Storage Heating vs Gas Central Heating

Options
  • 21-06-2011 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

hiya,

something I am still failing to figure out is reasoning for building new apartment complexes with electric heating systems. Clearly it is not effective system, quite expensive to run and not very "proficient" in these cold winter nights.

Wouldn't make more sense to join to a centralized gas system with Thermostats ? I am looking to move apartment (I am currently on gas) and 70% of ads on daft have electric system (or electric storage).

Is ESB (or Airtricity) in any way connected with new apartment developments construction ? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is cheap to put in electric storage heaters that's why they are used. Gas systems are much more expensive to put in and even more expensive to retro fit.
    If a place has electric storage heaters there is practically no way it ever will get another form of heating in the foreseeable future.

AS far as I know the BER rating isn't that effected by having them so no incentive to get rid of them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

electric storage heating isnt as expensive as you'd think.
    my ESB bill (2 bed apt) was approx €160 for Dec/Jan when the heating would have been on alot.
    some people I know could nearly spend that much just on gas in the winter, before even getting to the ESB bill for lighting, appliances, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

my ESB bill (2 bed apt) was approx €160 for Dec/Jan when the heating would have been on alot.
    I want to know your secret, as mine was more than twice that for the same period [also 2 bed apt!]?

What rate you on, Night saver?

Storage heaters are the spawn of the devil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I want to know your secret, as mine was more than twice that for the same period [also 2 bed apt!]?

What rate you on, Night saver?

Storage heaters are the spawn of the devil!

maybe because I'm the only one living here, and work full time, so there would be no leccy used for good chunks of the day.

btw, I was on nightsaver, but worked out I wasnt using enough night units to save, if anything it was costing me more

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Delirio

electric storage heating isnt as expensive as you'd think.
    some people I know could nearly spend that much just on gas in the winter, before even getting to the ESB bill for lighting, appliances, etc.

From my past experience it is generally more expensive electric storage then gas, but sure this mainly depends on the apartment size, heating system and other factors.

Mainly I prefer gas central with thermostat so I can program my heating system to turn on/off automatically at different times following my lifestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

They can work in some cases, like where someone is at home all day. My granny had two in her apartment and they suited her very well. Just under half of the apartments in the block had fitted gas when she died, I'd say the majority must have it by now. The management company didn't seem to have an issue with it, and the block was only three stories high.

Advertisement