Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I finished my Creative & MEdia Writing Degree today. I'm so happy I could explode.

Dole queue here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

After years of talking about writing, I've finally started doing it. I'm ecstatic at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Whelpling

After years of talking about writing, I've finally started doing it. I'm ecstatic at this.

Yay! Good luck with it. Are we allowed to know what sort of project it is? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've written some poems and I'm trying to put together a short story.

By the way, does the Irish Times still do the Flash Fiction section?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Redwolfe

I want to write something but it might be rubbish so I'm reading this thread instead. But ye are all gone now so I'll have to start I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Ray Bradbury has died. One of my literary heroes :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Today is my tenth anniversary as a boardsie. Yikes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I didn't even know you could check the date.

25th September 2001. Just starting fourth year in university.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

23-10-2003

think i was in 3rd year uni then

I can't remember what I was doing when I signed up (probably unemployed after emigrating and my first two companies closed down :D) but I'm pretty sure I was lurking for at least two years before that.

• Advertisement

i can't believe it's so long ago already

i'm not supposed to feel old i'm only small!!

Just over five years for me. Very strange - I would have thought I was on boards before I finished college. I guess I was all about Mikado then.

Antilles wrote: »
    Just over five years for me. Very strange - I would have thought I was on boards before I finished college. I guess I was all about Mikado then.

i joined boards one day because mikado was down :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

bluewolf wrote: »

They warned us at first year orientation to stay away from you people.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I remember a flood of people joined when Mikado got in some trouble with the college and was taken down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

My original account was created in March 2004! Unfortunately, when boards was hacked in 2009 (?) I lost the account cos I registered it under a deleted email account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

My original account was created in March 2004! Unfortunately, when boards was hacked in 2009 (?) I lost the account cos I registered it under a deleted email account.

That would make a good start for a story. You lose your identity, for whatever reason, and you have the oppertunity to start all over again. Nobody knows your former identity but you know theirs, know all their foibles and weaknesses...

echo beach wrote: »
    Nobody knows your former identity but you know theirs, know all their foibles and weaknesses...

Oh Christ! He knows I overuse adverbs! What should I do? WHAT SHOULD I DO??? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Oh Christ! He knows I overuse adverbs! What should I do? WHAT SHOULD I DO??? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cut out the adverbs and start using unnecessary and unwarranted alliterative adjectives instead. That should throw him off your track.:)

Yeah, well... I know that you misspelled that word in that post you made once upon a time...

I can make life difficult for you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pardon my ignorance but what was/is Mikado? :o

Jernal wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but what was/is Mikado? :o

it was the NUIM online forum once upon a time, populated by us nerds

this is a bit deserted isnt it

i just came in to complain i started a short story but it wont fit as one at all but its good enough if i bulk it out so here is another novella or novel project
    lordy
    wrote some notes for the box novel instead
    eileens mention of 40k words fizzling out to nowhere is enough to strike terror and inspire organisation
    i might submit some of it to another short story comp instead of the oirish one that ends on tuesday

I know it's probably a bit soon after the last one, but I wouldn't mind another VOAT pretty soon. Or some kind of competition. It's a good motivator for writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

eileens mention of 40k words fizzling out to nowhere is enough to strike terror and inspire organisation
    i might submit some of it to another short story comp instead of the oirish one that ends on tuesday

It struck terror into me. No more starting a novel with a vague notion that it would be all exciting and sort itself out on the way.

Yea i am going to do loads of notes

Id love a voat soon too

I know it's probably a bit soon after the last one, but I wouldn't mind another VOAT pretty soon. Or some kind of competition. It's a good motivator for writing.

As far as I'm concerned it will be the beginning of September at the earliest. Have a go at the Arena or throw together another quick compo?

i forgot you'll be around!

i think i will try some side projects or something then, i get the whole flashfic thing but trying to work on short story pacing without ending up with a novel on my hands is hard :p

Why not just write the damn novel already?

• Advertisement

cos i could do with winning 3,500 sterling in the short story comp and it would be a lot quicker :p

nah, the notes and stuff i've written this weekend are a hell of a lot more progress, it sure beats my vague "um theres a box and some good and bad guys"

Advertisement