Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Arthur Rimbaud

would anyone be interested in a weekly poetry challenge?

It could be a bit like the photoshop challenge on cool videos and pics and links.

Maybe one person could suggest a theme, or a group of words, or an image, and we have to create poems out of that. It might be an interesting, motivational exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Man, this forum is so dead :( Sucks so much that on this huge website there's not very many people interested in creative writing.

Anyway...

Just had my first 'Beginning to Write Poetry' class with Jessica Traynor (who is so lovely!) at Big Smoke. Really enjoyed it, looking forward to next week! Wish it was longer than 6 weeks, but oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I'm here, and interested, it's just that I'm busy writing stuff that I can't post here :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Also here :)

I'm doing a creative writing course on Tuesdays with Susan Millar DuMars and a really interesting bunch of people. It's like crack, I've a feeling I'll be returning term after term.

I also entered something into the Davy Byrne's short story comp. It's my first competition, not counting the Eason bookmark competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I can do rhymes but not real poetry. be fun to try though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Dave! wrote: »
    Man, this forum is so dead :( Sucks so much that on this huge website there's not very many people interested in creative writing.

Anybody that is serious about writing can't afford the amount of time that the rest of us waste on the internet.
    Most advice on writing starts with 'switch off the WiFi' and one of these days that is what I'm going to do.

I'd settle for some half-assed writers like myself to chat to :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I used to post loads of poems here. I probably wasn't ready to take criticism when I got it though. I might post a few first drafts soon to see what ye make of them, seeing as I've gone back to my old user-name!

An File wrote: »
    I used to post loads of poems here. I probably wasn't ready to take criticism when I got it though. I might post a few first drafts soon to see what ye make of them, seeing as I've gone back to my old user-name!

I was wondering why you changed. :D

Getting used to criticism is hard, but worth the effort. Tis a struggle sometimes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm barely on boards any more. Does anyone have the time or energy to mod the forum if there was a job going?

• Advertisement

I could take it on if there was another active co-mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

dk for mod!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm barely on boards any more. Does anyone have the time or energy to mod the forum if there was a job going?

I wanted this place way back when you got it. :P

Is anyone else submitting to literary journals and magazines these days?

To be honest, nothing outside of competitions had occurred to me up until a few months ago. There are plenty of opportunities in Ireland alone. I have a few submitted that I'm awaiting feedback on, and I'm going to submit some more in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

^^^

I'm trying to submit a short story once every month :)

I have a fantasy one I'm going to throw out to get used to rejection, but I also finished an interesting crime short story yesterday.

Where are you submitting to, GG2?

I had a poem in The Ogham Stone (the new literary journal in University of Limerick) in the spring. And I sent a few more poems off to another magazine a month ago, but probably won't hear anything back from them for another month. I don't really know anything about the scene at the moment though. I only found out about that second magazine by chance.

I had a poem in The Ogham Stone (the new literary journal in University of Limerick) in the spring. And I sent a few more poems off to another magazine a month ago, but probably won't hear anything back from them for another month. I don't really know anything about the scene at the moment though. I only found out about that second magazine by chance.

I have a bit of a list going, if you're interested? I can post it up later when I'm at home.

There were a couple with featured poets sections, and I was thinking of you and all your poems.

For a start, there's Crannóg, and they love getting submissions as Gaelige, too.

Ooh, thanks! A list would be great. :)

Crannóg's latest deadline was the last day of March. I sent them a few items. I have my doubts about the strength of the material I sent though. Sure, we'll see.

There's a list of good magazines on Fantasy faction.

http://fantasy-faction.com/2014/short-story-markets-and-why-they-are-important

Although, I have no idea where to submit the crime story. Maybe that Crime channel has something? BBC crime?

Edit:

This is interesting. I only checked it out there, but it seems to be a search engine for submissions.

http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/Default.aspx

• Advertisement

Ooh, thanks! A list would be great. :)

Crannóg's latest deadline was the last day of March. I sent them a few items. I have my doubts about the strength of the material I sent though. Sure, we'll see.

I'm having the same thoughts about a story I sent in March. :D Although, having read a few back issues, I think it's better than some of the stories published before.

Another is http://www.stingingfly.org/.

And closing on Sunday for the next issue is Penny Dreadful. I'm here trying to finish something off for it. :D

The Penny Dreadful looks great! I remember reading about it before. I'll see this evening if I have anything decent enough to send them. I need to start getting published outside of Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh!
    PD is until the 4th may.
    I've no excuse now!

Has anyone ever suggested a Boards.ie literary journal?

Ah, maybe this is an appropriate time to plug my new website! :pac:

http://www.irishwriting.ie

https://twitter.com/irishwriting_ie

The main purpose is to aggregate information about looming submission deadlines for journals and competitions, so that people don't have to jump from website to website or Twitter account to Twitter account. I'll also be compiling an up-to-date list of journals and competitions, and their contact details, websites, etc. I've only got a handful of items on it at the moment, but I'm gradually adding to it :)

Feel free to check it out and follow the Twitter account :) And tell your friends ;)

BTW I have other decent ideas for the site, but if you have any suggestions yourselves please feel free to PM me or get me on Twitter. Next thing I'll be doing is adding a filter/search of some sort so that you can choose "I just want to see deadlines for journals that publish stories (not poetry)", and that kind of thing.

Oh, I found a crime magazine:

http://ttapress.com/crimewave/

I've stuck my old list into a thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90226428#post90226428

There's also this, if anyone is writing children's stories.
    http://www.poolbeg.com/competitions-poolbeg/?___store=default

Sent a rake of poems to the Penny Dreadful tonight. Hopefully they'll like at least one of them!

I got my thing finished and sent too. Phew!

• Advertisement

I'm either going to write something today, or edit the bejaysus out of it for the PD.

Advertisement