Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Dave! wrote: »
    Ah, maybe this is an appropriate time to plug my new website! :pac:

http://www.irishwriting.ie

https://twitter.com/irishwriting_ie

The main purpose is to aggregate information about looming submission deadlines for journals and competitions, so that people don't have to jump from website to website or Twitter account to Twitter account. I'll also be compiling an up-to-date list of journals and competitions, and their contact details, websites, etc. I've only got a handful of items on it at the moment, but I'm gradually adding to it :)

Feel free to check it out and follow the Twitter account :) And tell your friends ;)

BTW I have other decent ideas for the site, but if you have any suggestions yourselves please feel free to PM me or get me on Twitter. Next thing I'll be doing is adding a filter/search of some sort so that you can choose "I just want to see deadlines for journals that publish stories (not poetry)", and that kind of thing.

Great idea Dave. Thanks. Is the site still a bit buggy or is it just my browser?
    Also the deadline for the PD is tonight - not tomorrow !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks Donal. I sent you a private message.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My story got accepted into Crannóg. :)

I wasn't very confident, but there you go.

Launch is on June 27th and you can read if you want. I'm... not sure I want to read this out loud. Ha ha.

Anyone else hear back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

well done DK. well done indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Congratulations Das Kitty :)

I was wondering If I could create a thread for that criminal short story I was telling ye about? I like it, but there's a few reasons why I want to put it here.

a) I can't be bothered editing it for a magazine :o

b) My writing style needs a look at. Hopefully, it's just my unique style, but I can't help but think there's something a little off about the narration.

c) It's a little long. SO, I'll probably put it up character by character. (It's still a short story :P )

EDIT: Or we could have the best of both worlds? I could critique someone elses long short story, and they could critique mind. That way we can get another opinion on what to improve without putting it on the internet?

• Advertisement

The Davy Byrne's Award shortlist was published this morning:

http://stingingfly.org/content/davy-byrnes-short-story-award-%E2%80%94-shortlist-announced

Any boardsies? :D

God, it's awful hard to write when your angsty. That whole elliot rodger thing has completely put my writing game out of whack.

Although, I do feel like writing a screenplay where a normal person turns into a school shooter. More of the nurture side of things than the nature. And, I'm going to avoid the cliche of blaming the parents, media, or NRA.

I'm putting on the backburner at the moment, but i like the idea.

Oh, and i've decided to post that short story I was talking about. I'm just going to edit it first. :P

I just wrote a 1000-word email/post on/to http://ohlife.com/

I have a lot on my mind—should in theory have lots to write about, but do I write anything useful? Nah! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Das Kitty wrote: »
    My story got accepted into Crannóg. :)

I wasn't very confident, but there you go.

Launch is on June 27th and you can read if you want. I'm... not sure I want to read this out loud. Ha ha.

Anyone else hear back yet?

Congrats! :)

I sent them a few poems at the end of March but never got any kind of a reply. I reckon that's a bad sign, seeing as emails were sent out almost a week ago.

An File wrote: »
    Congrats! :)

I sent them a few poems at the end of March but never got any kind of a reply. I reckon that's a bad sign, seeing as emails were sent out almost a week ago.

Maybe the prose editor is quicker than the poetry one. :)

I think they allow themselves until the end of the month to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

For the last half hour I've been listening to Anthony Hopkins' narration of The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock on YouTube and then reading the Wikipedia article about it. Now I don't know if I feel inspired or inadequate. :o Both, probably. There could be the roots of an homage developing somewhere in the back of my mind...

I must listen to that. Sounds lush.

I read at an open mic this evening. It was terrifying and thrilling.

They've asked me to come back as a featured reader in the autumn. I'm still processing it. Tea is being drank. My name is going to be on posters, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I read at an open mic this evening. It was terrifying and thrilling.

They've asked me to come back as a featured reader in the autumn. I'm still processing it. Tea is being drank. My name is going to be on posters, like.

Delighted to hear you are getting well deserved recognition. First your name will be on the posters, next it will be in lights.

echo beach wrote: »
    Delighted to hear you are getting well deserved recognition. First your name will be on the posters, next it will be in lights.

Aw, thanks!

I dunno about lights though. I'd settle for the cover of a book!

Aw, thanks!

I dunno about lights though. I'd settle for the cover of a book!

Are you querying anything at the moment? :)

Also, is the story you read out online anywhere?

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Are you querying anything at the moment? :)

Also, is the story you read out online anywhere?

I only wrote it yesterday lunchtime. I'm going to submit it to Bridport for flash fiction, I think. It's the right length. So it won't be appearing online yet anyway.

Damn, rejected from the Hennessy New Irish Writing award :(

My last pending submission is to the Penny Dreadful, so fingers crossed!

On the plus side – I'm going to Valencia for a month on Friday to, among other things, do as much writing as is humanly possible! Looks like a purdy city, should have a bit of inspiration there.

Damn, rejected from the Hennessy New Irish Writing award :(

My last pending submission is to the Penny Dreadful, so fingers crossed!

On the plus side – I'm going to Valencia for a month on Friday to, among other things, do as much writing as is humanly possible! Looks like a purdy city, should have a bit of inspiration there.

Ooh, enjoy!

Get something else sent out before PD comes back. I forget to submit to the Hennessy thing. Must check it out for next month.

Currently reading Edgar Allen Poe's essay "The Philosophy of Composition", which gives great insight into the poet's process in writing one of my favourite poems of all time—"The Raven" :)
    I made the bird alight on the bust of Pallas, also for [column 2:] the effect of contrast between the marble and the plumage — it being understood that the bust was absolutely suggested by the bird — the bust of Pallas being chosen, first, as most in keeping with the scholarship of the lover, and, secondly, for the sonorousness of the word, Pallas, itself.

"sonorousness" is a great word :D

3. Impressive in style of speech: a sonorous oration.
    I had now gone so far as the conception of a Raven — the bird of ill omen — monotonously repeating the one word, “Nevermore,” at the conclusion of each stanza, in a poem of melancholy tone, and in length about one hundred lines. Now, never losing sight of the object supremeness, or perfection, at all points, I asked myself — “Of all melancholy topics, what, according to the universal understanding of mankind, is the most melancholy?” Death — was the obvious reply. “And when,” I said, “is this most melancholy of topics most poetical?” From what I have already explained at some length, the answer, here also, is obvious — “When it most closely allies itself to Beauty: the death, then, of a beautiful woman is, unquestionably, the most poetical topic in the world — and equally is it beyond doubt that the lips best suited for such topic are those of a bereaved lover.”

I had now to combine the two ideas, of a lover lamenting his deceased mistress and a Raven continuously repeating the word “Nevermore” — I had to combine these, bearing in mind my design of varying, at every turn, the application of the word repeated; but the only intelligible mode of such combination is that of imagining the Raven employing the word in [column 2:] answer to the queries of the lover. And here it was that I saw at once the opportunity afforded for the effect on which I had been depending — that is to say, the effect of the variation of application. I saw that I could make the first query propounded by the lover — the first query to which the Raven should reply “Nevermore” — that I could make this first query a commonplace one — the second less so — the third still less, and so on — until at length the lover, startled from his original nonchalance by the melancholy character of the word itself — by its frequent repetition — and by a consideration of the ominous reputation of the fowl that uttered it — is at length excited to superstition, and wildly propounds queries of a far different character — queries whose solution he has passionately at heart — propounds them half in superstition and half in that species of despair which delights in self-torture — propounds them not altogether because he believes in the prophetic or demoniac character of the bird (which, reason assures him, is merely repeating a lesson learned by rote) but because he experiences a phrenzied pleasure in so modeling his questions as to receive from the expected “Nevermore” the most delicious because the most intolerable of sorrow. Perceiving the opportunity thus afforded me — or, more strictly, thus forced upon me in the progress of the construction — I first established in mind the climax, or concluding query — that to which “Nevermore” should be in the last place an answer — that in reply to which this word “Nevermore” should involve the utmost conceivable amount of sorrow and despair.

Here then the poem may be said to have its beginning — at the end, where all works of art should begin — for it was here, at this point of my preconsiderations, that I first put pen to paper in the composition of the stanza:

“Prophet,” said I, “thing of evil! prophet still if bird or devil!
    By that heaven that bends above us — by that God we both adore,
    Tell this soul with sorrow laden, if within the distant Aidenn,
    It shall clasp a sainted maiden whom the angels name Lenore —
    Clasp a rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore.”
    Quoth the raven — “Nevermore.”

SO GOOD!

I love that poem so much

• Advertisement

It sounds nauseatingly hipstery to say this, but I always feel out of breath after reading a Poe Poem. :confused:

Alright I've a few poems in the mix for the Honest Ulsterman and Wordlegs. Now, we play the waiting game...

Not sure what happened with the Penny Dreadful, can't recall receiving a rejection from them, but their next issue is out so I guess I must have done :D

Alright I've a few poems in the mix for the Honest Ulsterman and Wordlegs. Now, we play the waiting game...

Not sure what happened with the Penny Dreadful, can't recall receiving a rejection from them, but their next issue is out so I guess I must have done :D

Where did you see it?

My bad actually, it's the Bohemyth that has a new issue out!

So I'm still in with a chance for the Penny Dreadful! :D Eggs in 3 baskets now

And if none of those accept my submissions, then I'll just launch my own online magazine!

My bad actually, it's the Bohemyth that has a new issue out!

So I'm still in with a chance for the Penny Dreadful! :D Eggs in 3 baskets now
    And if none of those accept my submissions, then I'll just launch my own online magazine!

I heard back from Bohemyth the previous month. They must have missed you.

I was surprised at PD being out already, and wondering what kind of rush job they did.

I need to submit something to wordlegs.

I still haven't contemplated reading aloud on the 27th. Oy Vey.

Crap :eek:

I forgot I have to submit something this month. Hmmm, looks like I need to write a short story.

Get thee onto http://www.irishwriting.ie/ and never forget deadlines again :pac:

sorry... shill...

New online text editor which allows others to leave notes on your writing

http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/18/poetica-is-a-clever-text-editor-that-lets-you-phone-a-friend/

Looks kinda cool :) Dunno if I'd use it though.

Incidentally what software/website/tools do you guys use for your writing? Presumably pen and paper features for some of you :) It does for me too initially. But when I'm "digitising" it, I use Google Docs. Works quite well for me!

Others suggested include:
    http://www.ommwriter.com/
    http://www.iawriter.com/mac/
    http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/writeroom

• Advertisement

Notepad or word docs for stories...

pen & notebook for poetry

Advertisement