Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

oh yeah i ought to buy that

too happy about my singing lesson to care right now though :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You gave or took a singing lesson? What exactly does one teach at singing lessons?

took! I've been playing cello for years and years and I did some piano grades and all the theory grades but I always always wanted to do singing. Never had time. So I'm finally taking lessons! This was my second one. My poor cello will have to languish in the corner for a while.

Mostly breath exercises and techniques. All sorts of huffing and puffing :pac:
    We started an actual piece today as my teacher wants me to do the exam at christmas - exciting!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKvSfHFnFlg&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

bluewolf wrote: »
    took! I've been playing cello for years and years and I did some piano grades and all the theory grades but I always always wanted to do singing. Never had time. So I'm finally taking lessons! This was my second one. My poor cello will have to languish in the corner for a while.

Mostly breath exercises and techniques. All sorts of huffing and puffing :pac:
    We started an actual piece today as my teacher wants me to do the exam at christmas - exciting!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKvSfHFnFlg&feature=related

That IS exciting, you talented lady you, soon you can bust out the solo album :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I find people who unexpectedly air dirty laundry in public very disconcerting. It makes me reassess how I feel about the way I choose to spend my free time and maybe revise what will or won't get my attention in the future.

It also disappoints me when I see someone I had some respect for make a point of calling someone out over something that doesn't need to be made public, especially if it's for a pretty petty reason.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I find people who unexpectedly air dirty laundry in public very disconcerting. It makes me reassess how I feel about the way I choose to spend my free time and maybe revise what will or won't get my attention in the future.

It also disappoints me when I see someone I had some respect for make a point of calling someone out over something that doesn't need to be made public, especially if it's for a pretty petty reason.

That's the sort of observation you just can't beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

I am, for the first time, eating chinese left overs from the night before.
    The first time in my entire life of twenty years.
    mostly because the food is usually thrown out by my dad or given to the dogs, but being lazy and not wanting to cook, i am eating noodles for breakfast and oh my dear god. What have I missed? just. oh my god.

Also, was compared to Edgar Allen Poe in a review (super happy about it!), so the noodles are celebratory, so it's not being insanely unhealthy. The cookies in the oven are celebratory too >.>

Could a backpack float on a river? Assuming it was waterproof and contained mostly cotton clothes? I don't really want to waste a backpack finding out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Could a backpack float on a river? Assuming it was waterproof and contained mostly cotton clothes? I don't really want to waste a backpack finding out!

I think it likely would, at least until the weight of the water on the fabric of the clothes and backpack pulled it down.

Cool. As long as at least in some way plausible :)
    Next - how to build a raft with no plastic drums to use as buoyancy devices? I'm guessing in the olden days they managed it somehow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

CD. wrote: »
    was compared to Edgar Allen Poe in a review

That totally merits celebratory noodles and/or cookies! Congrats!

Also: hi, hi, delurking newbie here.

Next - how to build a raft with no plastic drums to use as buoyancy devices? I'm guessing in the olden days they managed it somehow...

Surely it's about ensuring you have a large enough raft made of wood that is thin enough to carry your cargo yet strong enough to hold the load? Then whatever weight you have on it will be distributed evenly and still not be too heavy to float. Almost any plank of wood will float on the water's surface, because it is less dense than the water itself, but when you put something on it it'll start to sink, or tip to let the object fall off. Even whole logs will float (hence loggers sending them down the river) but they'll be more submerged due to their weight. The bigger the surface area of the raft, the more weight it can carry, based on the simple fact it's spreading the weight over a larger area.

Then obviously you'd need twine, rope or something to tie the pieces of wood together. But if you're at a river, then you could easily come across a log that was going down the river, and hop on, if you're alone. Depending on geographical setting - no point in having someone come across loggers on the Shannon! :D

Is that just stating the obvious and not at all helpful?

...sea turtles, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Daleno

Spent the whole day fishing with my girlfriend. Caught one fish... it was the size of my finger but luckily I'm a giant so the girlfriend had a good feed. I just ate a tree. :)

I found an easy way out - sink the fcuking raft. Muowahahahaa!

I found an easy way out - sink the fcuking raft. Muowahahahaa!

Antilles wrote: »

Sea turtles can gnaw through duct tape - who knew? Also, they now hang out in rivers in South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

Hi everyone. I thought I'd pop in here first before posting or replying to anyone or anything because I don't know how things work! I'll head off to read the charter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Hmmm.... I seem to be finding many productive things to do to keep me from my writing. Not cool.

I'm off on holidays to France today! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

I'm out of the hospital today, so it's kinda like a holiday. A really crappy holiday.

I'm off on holidays to France today! :D

Me too! Although it's not that far to travel.

well I'm not on holidays anywhere til october, but i do have the day off and am nearly finished lolita, which arrived today :):)

Me too! Although it's not that far to travel.

Yeah I know. You invited me to accompany you on a road trip across western Europe, remember?

No hangover. Oh what a joy!

Well I'm back from France! My road trip with pickarooney was... interesting. At least I assume it was pickarooney, since he was giving me a thumbs up as I drove past him on the road to Paris. He doesn't speak a word of English, which you'd never guess from talking to him online, and he kept violently gesticulating out the window and shouting "aidez moi!" every time we drove past a police car. I guess he's got some issues with law enforcement.

Anyway, as soon as we got to Strassbourg and I parked the car, he jumped out and ran off screaming. I haven't heard from him since but I'm sure he'll be back online in no time. Odd fella, pickarooney.

the less free time i have, the more writing i miss doing!

Dabble in creative accounting?

bluewolf wrote: »
    the less free time i have, the more writing i miss doing!

My problem is that my reading time and writing time are pretty much the same time, and I can't do both at once :(

I've got five short stories I'm trying to write into an interconnected series at the moment. And by 'at the moment' I mean 'since before I started reading A Dance With Dragons'.

• Advertisement

My problem is that my reading time and writing time are pretty much the same time, and I can't do both at once :(

I've got five short stories I'm trying to write into an interconnected series at the moment. And by 'at the moment' I mean 'since before I started reading A Dance With Dragons'.

I've just put down ADWD since I've found two then/than errors in the last few pages. My eyes are offended!

Advertisement