Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

donating used school books

• 21-06-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I really don't want to put all the used schoolbooks in the green bin but as a number of them are old versions I can't offer them to anyone in Ireland. Is there anywhere that I can send them so that SOMEONE can benefit from the information inside them. It seems such a waste of trees and resources to throw them into a bin. I know about schoolbookexchange.ie but these are too old for that site.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Occasionally, teachers in some schools will colllect together the old books and bring them out to schools in the developing world, but to the best of my knowledge this has always been an individual effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

What books do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Ask the school if they want them. A lot of teachers like to maintain an archive of sorts so that they can go back to chapters/certain points that were useful and photocopy bits for a class that no longer uses these books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭titanium feather

I really don't want to put all the used schoolbooks in the green bin but as a number of them are old versions I can't offer them to anyone in Ireland. Is there anywhere that I can send them so that SOMEONE can benefit from the information inside them. It seems such a waste of trees and resources to throw them into a bin. I know about schoolbookexchange.ie but these are too old for that site.

There's a link on that wesite - http://www.sbe.ie/useful-links.php - where it says "donate school books to Kenya, Africa" ... when you click on it, a yahoo e-mail address comes up. Seems a bit dodgy that there's no website or charity e-mail address; still might be worth dropping them a mail though to see what it's about.

I actually have a friend working in a primary school in Kenya at the moment - I'll ask her if she knows of any system for getting books out there. I know the school she's in is extremely under-resourced! Most of the teaching in the schools she's been has been done through English, so I'd imagine schoolbooks would be an enormous help.

It seems a bit strange that the bigger charities don't make appeals for schoolbooks? Seems like a way that lots of Irish people could help by donating loads of books that are stuffed away in the attic ... I know lots of people keep them because they feel bad throwing them out, even though they'll never be used again. I guess it's the cost of transporting them over that's the problem, you'd imagine it wouldn't work out too bad though if the charity was transporting in bulk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Sorry for the slight hijack but does anyone know of a good website to sell school books, revision books etc? I would give them away but I'm broke. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Sorry for the slight hijack but does anyone know of a good website to sell school books, revision books etc? I would give them away but I'm broke. :rolleyes:

Adverts.ie would work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I sold my Biology book (the big green one), Chemistry live, my 2 geography books (the blue and orange ones!) and texts and tests 4 & 5 in O mahonys bookshop tralee!! :p

got €44.. very handy money :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭titanium feather

I actually have a friend working in a primary school in Kenya at the moment - I'll ask her if she knows of any system for getting books out there. I know the school she's in is extremely under-resourced! Most of the teaching in the schools she's been has been done through English, so I'd imagine schoolbooks would be an enormous help.

So I asked my friend in Kenya about this. She's asked around, but no one knows of any such scheme, and they all think it's a great idea and that it's a pity no one organises this on a large scale, as the schools could certainly do with more books. She suggested that the best thing you could do is to post them to a specific school (she offered to give a couple of names and addresses of schools she's worked in) in order to guarantee they'll actually reach the kids; however I know that this would probably be extremely expensive. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bregina

Gave ours back to school, told they could be used in resource classes, anything but the bin!

Advertisement