Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Composing paper Section A

• 21-06-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

This is about the Continuation of a Given Opening question. I know you don't have to modulate or any of that if it's in a minor key in the paper, but I've completely forgotten... if you decided to change Ti into Te in bar 7, do you continue on with that Te note for the rest? Or is it like the major, in which you return to the original key to finish it off?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

This is about the Continuation of a Given Opening question. I know you don't have to modulate or any of that if it's in a minor key in the paper, but I've completely forgotten... if you decided to change Ti into Te in bar 7, do you continue on with that Te note for the rest? Or is it like the major, in which you return to the original key to finish it off?

Thanks
    Our teacher said that you don't modulate at all in a minor key. You still go mental in the B phrase, but just stay in the same key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Yep, my teacher said that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Thanks! So the advice generally is don't bother? It is a lot of kerfuffle, anyway!

Just a quick question about ACTUALLY modulating in a major though...
    Our teacher said that in the B phrase, the chord of 5 is basically the chord of 1 now. So just outline the chord of 5. As in, if it was A-C-E, pick a mad bit of the song, and start your first B bar on an A, C or E and do the mad bit, then start the mad bit with a different note from the chord, and finally the last one.
    She also said that instead of naturalizing the sharpened note again, just avoid hitting that note in the B phrase. And then in A2 they can assume you're back into your original key.
    Is this a really over simplified way of doing things?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

PJelly wrote: »
    Just a quick question about ACTUALLY modulating in a major though...
    Our teacher said that in the B phrase, the chord of 5 is basically the chord of 1 now. So just outline the chord of 5. As in, if it was A-C-E, pick a mad bit of the song, and start your first B bar on an A, C or E and do the mad bit, then start the mad bit with a different note from the chord, and finally the last one.
    She also said that instead of naturalizing the sharpened note again, just avoid hitting that note in the B phrase. And then in A2 they can assume you're back into your original key.
    Is this a really over simplified way of doing things?

Seems fine, they can't complain as you're doing it the right way!

• Advertisement

Thanks! I was never really sure about that "Don't naturalize, just don't hit the sharpened note again" bit.

Advertisement