Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eggs- how long do they last?

Options
  • 21-06-2011 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Got a load of free range eggs at a Farmer's Market last week and stupidly forgot to ask the sellers how long they would last.
    Usually I buy free range eggs from a supermarket and they have a stamp on them with a Best Before Date. This is usually 2-3 weeks after the date of purchase.

Any idea how long I have on these? I'm a bit of a stickler for BB dates. I know you can test whether they're stale or not by sticking them in a bowl of water, but I'd rather not have to get that far!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Place the egg into a bowl of cold water. The water level should be about 2 times higher than the egg.

Fresh eggs will sink to the bottom of the bowl and probably lie on their sides. Slightly older eggs (about one week) will lie on the bottom but bob slightly. If the egg balances on its smallest tip, with the large tip reaching for the top, it's probably close to three weeks old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gercakeage

I have hens at home and keep the eggs for about two weeks , no longer after that they get thrown out :) they last longer if you keep them in the fridge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Thanks for that.

I'm looking into making a quiche now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

My father is very old school and cant stand waste. So if he see eggs going into their best before date he hard boils them and leaves them in the fridge. They will be fine for 7 - 10 days after.

Lovely for salads or sambos

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I have a few free range birds at home, and 3 full weeks is grand for their eggs. And that's when they're not in the fridge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

official word from my EHO is 6 weeks for chicken and 4 weeks for Duck from time of laying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

I used to buy a lot of free range eggs from a farm - they were delicious but the problem I found was that they were frequently from mixed layings. Some would be very fresh while others could be close to the wire, with no way to tell which was which for rotation.
    When making quiche or omellettes or anything that requires a lot of eggs, break them one by one into a cup first so that if you get a 'bad egg' it will not contaminate the lot.
    If using them to boil, be prepared for the worst - and I mean the worst. A rotten egg can put you off your googies for quite some time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

eggs will last up to four or five weeks after laying if kep,t in fridge ,once they have no damage to shell.....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Fresh eggs will sink to the bottom of the bowl and probably lie on their sides. Slightly older eggs (about one week) will lie on the bottom but bob slightly. If the egg balances on its smallest tip, with the large tip reaching for the top, it's probably close to three weeks old.

Just to finish, it it floats is bad or very nearly at that stage.
    (obviously you implied this, but incase somebody asks)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

I used to buy a lot of free range eggs from a farm - they were delicious but the problem I found was that they were frequently from mixed layings. Some would be very fresh while others could be close to the wire, with no way to tell which was which for rotation.

This drives me mad. I have 5 hens and we get 5 eggs most days, I always write the date of laying on them especially if I'm giving them away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Eyeore wrote: »
    This drives me mad. I have 5 hens and we get 5 eggs most days, I always write the date of laying on them especially if I'm giving them away.

I do the same - makes it easier to keep track of them. I've found they're good up to 4 weeks even without refrigeration - as long as they're stored away from direct sunlight ofc. I also chuck any that have shell damage unless I'm going to use it on day of lay.

Advertisement