Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Ships Parking Permits

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

What about if your working in town? Do you get a permit for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

200motels wrote: »

Unless you are disabled I don't see why you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I did'nt even apply, I already have a residents permit and the tall ships permit just came in the post two weeks ago.

dayshah wrote: »
    Unless you are disabled I don't see why you should.
    That's a terrible reply.

That's a terrible reply.

Seriously, thousands of people want to go into the city centre to see the tall ships. Extra public transport is being provided.

What's the point in a cordon if everyone who wants to go into town is allowed to cross it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That's a terrible reply.

Its not really in fairness, if your working in town and are able bodied then there are workable options available to you to get to work for the few days in question.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its not really in fairness, if your working in town and are able bodied then there are workable options available to you to get to work for the few days in question.
    Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My cousin looked for a permit so she could go to work and was sent back the bus timetable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Where abouts is the permit office anyway? Is it in the building behind Theatre Royal near Bishops Palace?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

iseegirls wrote: »
    Where abouts is the permit office anyway? Is it in the building behind Theatre Royal near Bishops Palace?
    In the council offices in Waterford Crystal. 1st floor

• Advertisement

Permits issued only to:
    Residents
    Caregivers
    Delivery drivers with perishable goods
    Business keyholders

Over 8000 permits issued so far, they say they have to limit numbers somehow.

Went in this morning. Bike permits still under discussion. Again told me it has to be sorted as they have told all bikers they will get through. Will post when I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Went in this morning. Bike permits still under discussion. Again told me it has to be sorted as they have told all bikers they will get through. Will post when I hear.

Hopefully bikes are let through, its not like they cause congestion

Hopefully bikes are let through, its not like they cause congestion

This is my issue - when I talked to the Garda office in charge of manning the barricades, it was "on foot or on a bicycle". I specifically asked about Motorbikes and was told "No."

This is what is doing my head in.

This is my issue - when I talked to the Garda office in charge of manning the barricades, it was "on foot or on a bicycle". I specifically asked about Motorbikes and was told "No."

Is this the final word on this, or is there still discussions goin on?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ellie1984

I got mine in the post today, so relieved. My boyfriend on the other hand didnt get his. I wonder if his normal parking permit will do, seeing that it has our address on it and the address is within the cordon area. I doubt that though: the gardai will probably be petty about it.

On the other issue of people living within the cordon but with no parking permit because they have their private parking space, I would say the best option is to go and get a parking permit (it's only 15 euro) and then try and get a tall ship permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

Ellie1984 wrote: »
    I got mine in the post today, so relieved. My boyfriend on the other hand didnt get his. I wonder if his normal parking permit will do, seeing that it has our address on it and the address is within the cordon area. I doubt that though: the gardai will probably be petty about it.

On the other issue of people living within the cordon but with no parking permit because they have their private parking space, I would say the best option is to go and get a parking permit (it's only 15 euro) and then try and get a tall ship permit.

Was keeping an eye on this. So glad that you got your permit Ellie!:D Your boyfriend may get his tomorrow or thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

How the hell am I supposed to get to work, I live in ballygunner, I cant just abandon my car at the park and ride and pay to get into work...

How the hell am I supposed to get to work, I live in ballygunner, I cant just abandon my car at the park and ride and pay to get into work...

sc_047.JPG

;)

sc_047.JPG

;)

Exactly its only a few days ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

whats with the bus eireann ve-hic-kell they dont go by ballygunner :confused: ,

this park n rob is turning out to be a right scam...:rolleyes:

Hoffmans wrote: »
    whats with the bus eireann ve-hic-kell they dont go by ballygunner :confused:

My bad,

pf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Nah it's just some dose, I live in ballygunner and I work in debenhams, the park and ride is "free before 10am to accomodate city centre workers" however I'm not working until the afternoon or evenings, I wont be allowed passed the cordon because I dont have a permit.

I'd imagine the park and ride and busses will be really busy too which means in order to get to work for 5pm I'd have to leave much earlier, they really should have planned for this :/

The only busses that are out my way are the kenneallys busses, but I dont know where they're stopping in town.

It's almost not worth my while going in for the few stupid hours of a thursday and friday later evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

thr kennealy buses go right into town and would be the handiest way to get to the job ,
    dunno why theres an idiotic bus eireann there...

if your intent on driving theres no reason why you cant ,as all citizens are entitled to free and unhindered travel across the lands, if your stopped and a taxi is'nt then theres a case of discrimination,
    but takin the bus is the easiest option if your not up to speed on common laws and rights as most persons are not....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement#Philosophical_grounds_for_a_right_to_move

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

if your intent on driving theres no reason why you cant ,as all citizens are entitled to free and unhindered travel across the lands, if your stopped and a taxi is'nt then theres a case of discrimination,
    but takin the bus is the easiest option if your not up to speed on common laws and rights as most persons are not....

sigh,
    You'd want to give this "I can travel anywhere I want in Ireland" rant a rest in fairness,

There are restrictions in place for very good reasons, however if you want to be a fool and ignore them then fine you can deal with the Gardai but don't suggest people do something stupid just because you think its a great idea.

sigh,
    You'd want to give this "I can travel anywhere I want in Ireland" rant a rest in fairness,

There are restrictions in place for very good reasons, however if you want to be a fool and ignore them then fine you can deal with the Gardai but don't suggest people do something stupid just because you think its a great idea.

No no, leave them off. I would love to see how this pans out when they explain that to the gardai;););)

I'd imagine the park and ride and busses will be really busy too which means in order to get to work for 5pm I'd have to leave much earlier, they really should have planned for this :/

The only busses that are out my way are the kenneallys busses, but I dont know where they're stopping in town.

It's almost not worth my while going in for the few stupid hours of a thursday and friday later evening.

They did plan for this. Maybe you should plan yourself and findout where Kenneallys stop in town? Get the bus in and you'll find out easily. Or you could walk or cycle. Does your car do your thinking for you in addition to your transport?

I sick of this complaining about the cordon. People are justified complaining about the toll, but its events like these that help keep jobs in the city centre.
    if your intent on driving theres no reason why you cant ,as all citizens are entitled to free and unhindered travel across the lands,

Who are you, the fvcking Orange Order??

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ellie1984

I'd imagine the park and ride and busses will be really busy too which means in order to get to work for 5pm I'd have to leave much earlier

Believe me, I can use my car but I myself plan to leave much earlier for work just in case there is traffic or people in the middle of the road...but in fairness it's just 4 days and I'm ready to make the sacrifice. A sacrifice worth making if that means a boost for this city's economy.
    If you don't have to start working in the morning, that only means one thing: that you have plenty of time to get yourself into town and could easily get a bus. If the City Council had issued permits to anybody that worked in town that would have defeated the purpose of the all thing...
    they really should have planned for this :/

They should have planned for what exactly? For the people that have to go to work into town AT 5 PM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

sigh,

In all fairness Hoffmans has a very good point to make (Putting aside we all know there must be some give and take and acceptance that there will be dissruptions and pain with this size of event - I myself am willing to accept the closures )

AFAIK under the roads act of 1993 notice is supposed to be given of any road closures and said notice is to be published that reads such as

"Notice is hereby given that in accordance with Section 75 of the Roads Act 1993, the following public road will be closed from on Thursday xxth June 2011 until xx.xx pm Friday xxth of June 2011 inclusive, to facilitate the xxxx Scheme / Event."

I have not been able any find any such notice on the councils website yet it mentions all minor and temporary closures, and after brief look through the event licence I cannot find any such reference either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

AFAIK the normal busses going in from Dunmore road area are stopping at the park.

Advertisement