Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening Day, Tioga Pass & area, lessons learned

• 21-06-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Sigh. I came home Sunday from a 3 day weekend up near Mammoth/Lee Vining, CA, for the opening of the Tioga Pass, and on returning did something in LightRoom that not only killed all my folders, meaning all 4000 or so of my pics are now in one folder, taking a bit to open, but converted EVERY PIC I TOOK over the weekend to .jpeg, so I can never work on them in RAW format. VERY pissed off about that. I still have no idea whatsoever what I did, and am just happy that it didn't convert anything else away from RW2 format.

The gate opened at 0800 hours, Sat morning. We were there at 0515, and there were people camped out there, literally in mummy bags on concrete, so we decided to go shoot Ellery and Tioga Lakes, then get coffee/bfast at Lee Vining, then go back up. We got back about 0850 or so, and the ranger said we were the 57th car in. Lots of snow, and Tuolumne Meadows, though snow free, was a millions shades of drab brown, not worth shooting, and mosquito hell.

When we left, at roughly 1100 hours, there were at least 150 cars lined up, waiting to get in. The sunset that night was effing amazing, but we spent it east of Mammoth, on the road to Hot Creek.

These aren't the best of what I shot, but they're the best I can get, having to process .jpeg through Photoscape.

Three views of Ellery Lake, 0538 hours, sunrise.

DawnElleryLakey.jpg

DawnElleryLake2.jpg

DawnElleryLake3.jpg

The road to Hot Creek

HotCreekRoad2.jpg

Shots of the eastern escarpment at Hot Creek, looking west and north, no color changes on my part whatsoever. The colors actually looked just like they look here.

Hot Creek

HotCreek3.jpg

HotCreek2.jpg

Looking NW, same shot, different zoom, but the light changed. Yes, those are headlights on US 395 in the distance.

HotCreek5.jpg

HotCreek4.jpg

Finally, Mt. Morrison, which could easily be Mount Doom, due to it's extreme rock walls/faces, experimenting with higher ISO than I usually use w/the Panny LX5. I'm almost always at 80, this is 320. It could have been sharper had I not inadvertantly turned everything into .jpegs

MountMorrison1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

feel really bad for you, but these pictures are beautiful anyway! looks like you were in a serious part of the world to, fairly jealous. I have lightroom but have never worked in it yet. im nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Not sure whether to say "I'm sorry about your photos" first and then congratulate you on the shots above or the other way around but I guess it won't really make any difference anyway...so...
    Love the shots, love the light, love the colours, love the scenery...and must admit, am a bit jealous - would love to live closer to this area (or at least living on the same continent would help...:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I cant believe that Lightroom has changed the files for good, are they not just stacked with the jpegs?

Lovely shots too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Not sure whether to say "I'm sorry about your photos" first and then congratulate you on the shots above or the other way around but I guess it won't really make any difference anyway...so...
    Love the shots, love the light, love the colours, love the scenery...and must admit, am a bit jealous - would love to live closer to this area (or at least living on the same continent would help...:))

Thanks!

Not being a native Los Angeleno, but having lived here for about 11 years now, I've not only come to like the city, but realize that it's a fantastic jumping off point for all of the Southern Sierras, Eastern Sierras, Death Valley, Owens Valley, the Mojave Desert, etc... Photographic crack/heroin/meth.

I'm lucky that, in season, my g/f and I are up in those places literally every weekend, as the farthest, Death Valley, is at most 5 hours away by car.

Advertisement