Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Test

Options
  • 21-06-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Speed results

Test date
    21 June 2011 17:44:13
    Download Speed
    0.77 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    772 kbps
    Upload Speed
    0.21 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    209 kbps
    Latency
    122 ms

Just ran a speed test there on the Eircom site and these are the speeds I'm getting.
    I have noticed in the last few weeks that I can't even watch a video on Youtube without it pausing 10 seconds in while it waits to download.
    This was not the way it was when I got my Broadband in first time round.
    Any way this can be rectified?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

hiscan wrote: »
    Just ran a speed test there on the Eircom site and these are the speeds I'm getting.
    I have noticed in the last few weeks that I can't even watch a video on Youtube without it pausing 10 seconds in while it waits to download.
    This was not the way it was when I got my Broadband in first time round.
    Any way this can be rectified?

Hi hiscan,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards and apologies for the delay replying.

If you are still experiencing slow speeds please take a look at our Broadband Checklist on our Forum :

Broadband checklist : http://bit.ly/aPwvTT

(If you have any problem opening the above website, please copy&paste the URL into your Internet browser address bar)

In some cases you may find that your broadband connection is not working or running slowly.
    *Note: Not all of the following steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.

• *Note: Maximum download speeds cannot be guaranteed, as eircom broadband is Rate Adaptive, i.e. a distance dependant* technology. (*The distance between the modem and the exchange it is connected to.) However, if there is a large difference between the speed of your broadband package and the speed test result, here are a few suggestions.
    *Note: Upload speeds are not the equal to download speeds. For example, on a broadband connection of 1MBps, the maximum download speed could be approximately 1MB (1024kbps), but the upload speed will be 128kbps. This is the very nature of ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - asymmetric meaning unequal).
    • Powercycle the modem:
      • Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
      • Wait 30 seconds
      • Switch the modem back On
      • Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect
    • Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.
    Are you connecting wirelessly?
    • If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.
    Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?
    • These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.
    Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?
    • Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.
    If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance.
    Troubleshoot slow connections
    Slow or Dropped Connections

In some cases you may find that your broadband connection is not working or running slowly.

*Note: Not all of the following steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.

Slow speed issues

Have you tested your download speed
    ?

* Try eircom net's Speed Test.

*Note: Maximum download speeds cannot be guaranteed, as eircom broadband is Rate Adaptive, i.e. a distance dependant* technology. (*The distance between the modem and the exchange it is connected to.) However, if there is a large difference between the speed of your broadband package and the speed test result, here are a few suggestions.

*Note: Upload speeds are not the equal to download speeds. For example, on a broadband connection of 1MBps, the maximum download speed could be approximately 1MB (1024kbps), but the upload speed will be 128kbps. This is the very nature of ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - asymmetric meaning unequal).

* Powercycle the modem:
    Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    Wait 30 seconds
    Switch the modem back On
    Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

* Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.

Are you connecting wirelessly?

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?

* These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.

Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?

* Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable. Click here for more information on Spyware.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance.

To call Broadband Technical Support directly :

Broadband Technical Support - 1890 260260 (lowcall) (Opening hours : 08:00 - 22:00) Mon - Sun.

Please retain your case id /reference number / in order to follow up on any logged fault. If you PM this, we can also follow this up for you.

Kind regards

Ant

Advertisement