Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G broadband

Options
  • 21-06-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying a Galaxy S II but recently learned it is not a 4G phone. I'm not sure if this is a big deal. When is the 4G network supposed to be established in Ireland? Links on the internet imply it's not till 2013.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

we dont even have a good broadband infrastructure as it is never mind 4G

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Complete marketing hype and lies by the American Networks.

There are very little commercial 4G networks up and running yet. Some in asia and 3 in sweden & denmark but that's about it. What America is calling 4G is actually our 3G.

I take 4G to mean LTE and were not there yet, 3 are the closest we have to it with the network bumping up to 21mb very shortly but still well off LTE. 3 should be able to move to 4G quickly as the network was built from scratch with that in mind. It won't be happening until comreg release the spectrum here it's currently being used for TV hence the swtich to digital at the moment. It should go up for auction probably in 2012 but we won't really see it in operation till late 2013/2014.

The Galaxy S II is just called the Galaxy S II here in Ireland, in America it's called the Galaxy S II 4G:eek: Our networks are way ahead of the yanks. Don't be listening to them about the future.
    Buy what phone you like right now. The Galaxy S II supports up to 21mb so that should do you for a while.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I was under the impression that all the networks were testing out 4G at present? I know 3 and Meteor are, with the latter already having a 26.6Mbps network in Dublin and Cork. There is sufficient progress on the LTE aspect, but as others have mentioned, its more so the 3G part that is being focused on more so. I would foresee 50Mbps networks by this time next year. As to when there will be commercial reasons for 4G i would say another 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭richiee

Ive been speaking to eMobile and they told me that they will be the first to be able to launch 4g here in Ireland. They are currently testing it in some areas. They said that they have their network built with 4g in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Isn't Wimax 4G.
    It's rubbish anyway, any wireless infrastructure is rubbish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement