Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started

• 21-06-2011 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting myself a Kayak soon and was just wondering if I can just go out into the Irish sea straight away (I'm in Dun Laoghaire) or do I need to register somewhere? I've been down the Dordogne in France a few times while on holidays but I want to take a serious step and get my own gear and get active with it. I'd also be interested in Blessington lakes but I'm pretty sure you have to register with the local council and get a "license" number onto the craft..open to correction on that.

Any info is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

You can go out on the sea without any form of licence once you access point is public property. Not sure about blesington lake, think you are right but I've no idea how you'd go about registering for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

You'll need to get a pemit from the ESB if you want to kayak on Blessington lake.

http://www.esb.ie/main/sustainability/poulaphouca.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Robabob

Thats great guys, thanks a million :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭whizbang

i know its late, but dont be afraid to get wet in DL harbour. entry is by the inshore lifeboat station at the east end. theres plenty of people about to help out if in trouble.
    but beware of the lack of exits. so sandycove and seapoint are better options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Looking to get going myself.Have some kayaking experience from about 10 years ago.Know the rolling/slapping techniques for capsizing.Once I get the chance I'll be getting roofrack plus kayak.

Any suggestions for a good quality kayak that isn't too pricey at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Sitka

blackbelt wrote: »
    Looking to get going myself.Have some kayaking experience from about 10 years ago.Know the rolling/slapping techniques for capsizing.Once I get the chance I'll be getting roofrack plus kayak.

Any suggestions for a good quality kayak that isn't too pricey at the same time?

Give Vic a call on 027 55623. She will guide you to what will be your best option. www.bantrybaycanoes.com
    She sold me exactly what I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 103017999

:( Anyone any idea why the Activity Alley in Blessington closed down ?? Was there today and only seen it for the first day in approx 2 years....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

103017999 wrote: »
    :( Anyone any idea why the Activity Alley in Blessington closed down ?? Was there today and only seen it for the first day in approx 2 years....:(

Avon Ri which was called Blessington Land and Water Sprots is still open

Advertisement