Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holding deposits

Options
  • 21-06-2011 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

HEY all. Finally after living in complete dives for 2 years i have found the place of my dreams. I have a viewing thursday was just wondering with letting agencies if you offer a holding deposit in order to keep the property for say 3 weeks while i get deposit and rent together, do they usually accept this or???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

Never heard of it! Pay a deposit plus a months rent on signing the lease. I.e. Two months rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭velvet1989

yeah thats fair enough but ive hard holding deposits can hold the property for 3 weeks. see need my deposit from my current place to pay new deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The day you move in you would normally have to pay a months rent plus your deposit.

If you pay a holding deposit on the day you move in you would pay a months rent plus your deposit minus the holding deposit.

The holding deposit is there to stop the EA/Landlord from letting the property out before you move in whilst giving yourself time to gather funds/sort out moving out of another place/pack.

Thank you pithater that was the answer I was looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Confirm with the agency 1st, 3 weeks is an aweful long time for the property to be held on deposit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yeah I'd confirm that 3 weeks is ok with the EA/landlord first.

well like if i gave the full deposit when signing the lease and then a month upfront when i get the keys maybe???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

velvet1989 wrote: »
    well like if i gave the full deposit when signing the lease and then a month upfront when i get the keys maybe???

thats standard procedure but most holding deposits are a week max, the L/L is losing money leaving the property vacant for 3 weeks, unless its been vacant for a long time i dont see them going along with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

pithater1 wrote: »
    T

The holding deposit is there to stop the EA/Landlord from letting the property out before you move in whilst giving yourself time to gather funds/sort out moving out of another place/pack.

a holding deposit if it is accepted will be " subject to lease/contract ". It can be returned at any time. It does not prevent the landlord dealing with anybody else. Neither does it prevent the o/p taking it back and renting somewhere else. Once the keys are handed over the tenant is liable for the rent. When the tenant moves in is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not all holding deposits are the same. Make sure it is returnable if you choose not to rent the property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement