Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Budget

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

My hubby shops for our family each week between Aldi, Lidl and a local family run butchers...... Butcher costs 25e and then he spends between 70 - 90e on the rest of the shopping.

We are a family of 6 with 2 monster eaters of teenage lads (14 and 17) and 2 younger kids (9 and 13)....... Not too bad I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

Sleepy wrote: »
    No need to add the extra vegetables to the tomatoes for your sauce: just a bit of salt, pepper, basil and oregano. A few glugs of wine helps a bolognese as well (dregs from the night before are so good for this, I've gotten into the habit of saving the last glass in a bottle of red for the next day's dinner!).

My usual recipe:

Brown mince in the stock pot, add one chopped onion, one red pepper, half a pack of sliced mushrooms and the blended tomatos, good pince of oregano, similarly liberal pinch of basil, season with salt and pepper, add a glug of red wine and simmer the whole thing for about 20 minutes stirring constantly.

Other things I do occasionally: add more veggies to make the bolognese go further, slow cook it at a low temperature for a few hours, replace the tomatoes with cherry tomatoes (makes a much sweeter bolognese), add some chilli powder / flakes to give it some warmth.

Only saw this now. The main reason I add vegetables is to make sure my toddler is getting some. Yeah I add chilli powder/tobasco sauce and garlic.

Ill give your recipe a go, with the wine for the adults :-)

Thanks again

Advertisement