Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Standoff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Donny5 wrote: »
    Oh, yeah, and what pistol have you come across with a 200m effective range?
    There are quite a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Just drove past after work. Gardai were getting into their cats and driving off.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

AdMMM wrote: »
    Just drove past after work. Gardai were getting into their cats and driving off.

now that i wanna see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

All finished. ..nothing to see here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Tune into Wlr billy tommorrow oh wait he might not be legally allowed talk about it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

can someone give us an update ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

AdMMM wrote: »
    I knew it was them Ferrybank fellas.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

can someone give us an update ?
    Yes it was himm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

There are quite a few.

So name one, but of course you can't, because 200m from a sub-fifteen centimeter barrel isn't happening. Anyway, Mr. Mitty, good luck with your future in bollocksology,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Ha, can't find the edit button on the new touch design. Gardai were getting into their cars rather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The_Wexican

268999_10150233482930854_615215853_7428670_8355112_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Atleast it has come to a peaceful end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Found out who it was. Know the name but don't know the person. Hope everything is sorted and everything goes well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Oh, yeah, and what pistol have you come across with a 200m effective range?

imi desert eagle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Desert_Eagle

• Registered Users Posts: 40 george tobin

the guy up on that roof is someones son, and possibly brother... I think people are being insensitive .. put yourself in his family's position......they must be going through hell. I hope that he will be ok and this ordeal will be over for him and family soon.
    the man is having a breakdown in public for god sake show some compassion,it could be you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

spookwoman wrote: »

That wiki article is crap. The DE can, at the very most with a skilled marksman, be accurate at 50-75m.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 george tobin

your an eagle allright...jesus wept no wonder were ballsacked...

That wiki article is crap. The DE can, at the very most with a skilled marksman, be accurate at 50-75m.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/desert_eagle_techdata.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cathaloc

There are quite a few.

Sorry to go OT, but thats just a silly comment to make. There are rifles that wouldnt be accurate at 200m, not to mind a feckin pistol. You'd be lucky to hit something at 50m with one of those, if you were a really, really good shot.

If you mean that the bullet would travel 200m, then you are of course correct. But it would be very unlikely it would hit what it was pointed at. On the playstation maybe, but not in real life.

ETA: The wiki article quoted above quotes 200m as the maximum effective range. All that means is that the projectile will travel 200m while retaining enough force to do some damage. It does not mean that it is accurate to 200m, a very different thing. I do a fair bit of shooting, and if I could hit something with a pistol at 30m, I would consider that a very good shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

the man is having a breakdown in public for god sake show some compassion,it could be you...

People often make light of serious situations to help them deal with it. Nothing to be outraged about. I actually think its kinda healthy. It's part of internet culture and it does not imply apathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

at the same time a bullet could ricoshea an nobble somone nearby....

think theres a dj called rickoshea too b4 somone points it out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

cathaloc wrote: »
    Sorry to go OT, but thats just a silly comment to make. There are rifles that wouldnt be accurate at 200m, not to mind a feckin pistol. You'd be lucky to hit something at 50m with one of those, if you were a really, really good shot.

If you mean that the bullet would travel 200m, then you are of course correct. But it would be very unlikely it would hit what it was pointed at. On the playstation maybe, but not in real life.

ETA: The wiki article quoted above quotes 200m as the maximum effective range. All that means is that the projectile will travel 200m while retaining enough force to do some damage. It does not mean that it is accurate to 200m, a very different thing. I do a fair bit of shooting, and if I could hit something with a pistol at 30m, I would consider that a very good shot.

This is getting annoying, if the guards were within range of a gun they would be in protective gear, it doesn't matter if the guy could successfully aim, there would still be a possibility that if the gun went off a bullet would hit someone, especially with so many milling about. It doesn't take aim or intention when there is a firearm involved.

Could be a ricochet or a flier, doesn't matter a stray bullet could hit anyone. As Catholoc said the effective range is where it can still do damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Well it's good to hear it's all ended "well", as in, no-one hurt.

We passed down Bridge St. earlier on on the way home, had to admit I was tempted to park up and go have a gawk meself to see what was going on, but thought better of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Soswozere

This is getting annoying, if the guards were within range of a gun they would be in protective gear,
    So you think the gun is fake / unloaded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Or non existent, or the guards aren't too big on safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Reports on F/book is that the man lost his job today , and went a bit over the top ./ he apparently fell and broke his ankle too .

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Soswozere

Looks like he's holding a gun in the video when he raises his hand at 0:20 seconds in.

I imagine the Gardai would be fairly interested in their own safety, but they got to do their job. It's highly unlikely that the Super in Waterford's barracks deemed it necessary or reasonable to purchase large amounts of protective gear for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

So I guess the initial reports that he shot someone were incorrect? Hopefully the poor fooker will get some help...lucky he didn't do any harm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement