Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Peugeot 508

Options
  • 21-06-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Whats the opinion with boardies on the 508? My father is seriously considering a new e-HDI 1.6 112 bhp in Active spec. I think its looks good, the electronic auto with stop start looks like an interesting piece of kit, its got a good spec too.

06ThenewPeugeot508.jpg

He would consider alternatives, but wants an auto, a big boot and a relatively small engine (1.6 or smaller) as insurance is starting to get expensive as he gets older. He will only buy new after previously having trouble with second hands
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Get him to drive the "auto" then get him to buy a proper automatic.

I haven't driven the Pug with that set up, but I had to deliver a C5 2.0Hdi with that gearbox, and I've also driven a C4 Grand Picasso with the automated clutchless manual.

IMHO it's horrific. One of the worst experiences I've had in a car.

508 Active is a decent car, and the 1.6Hdi is a very good engine. Performs very well in that car with the manual box, but avoid the "auto" version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I had a quick spin in the top spec 2.0 diesel and it was far better than previous Peugeots but still not great. I think its dreadful looking but thats only my opinion. In saying that its a big car with decent spec but I still would look elsewhere. Accord, Insignia, Superb or even Mazda 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Good feedback but are you sure its the same transmission? i drove a 2.0 C5 HDI and was sure it was a proper auto. I will try to get a spin in one before he makes a decision. How do you rate the DSG box in comparison?

Problem with proper auto is that their are very few options around at reasonable money in that size of car that are'nt €35k and matched to a 2.0 or bigger and in band C or D. He wants to keep fairly small engine size and ideally band A or B if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Looked at Accord but its 10k more expensive and 2.2 is hard on insurance, Mazda 6- great car but no auto option. If he was buying manual he would consider Mondeo but Ford charge 8000 extra to move up to an auto- 33k rrp for a Style 2.0 auto with exercise back windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Casati wrote: »
    Good feedback but are you sure its the same transmission? i drove a 2.0 C5 HDI and was sure it was a proper auto. I will try to get a spin in one before he makes a decision. How do you rate the DSG box in comparison?

Problem with proper auto is that their are very few options around at reasonable money in that size of car that are'nt €35k and matched to a 2.0 or bigger and in band C or D. He wants to keep fairly small engine size and ideally band A or B if possible

The C5 and C4 Grand Picasso were the new Citroen Clutchless Automated Manuals rather than full Auto's. I tried driving them a few different ways (full throttle permantly, lift off at time to change, half half) and couldn't get a decent change out of it.

The DSG is an excellent box. There have been reliability issues with it though, not sure if they've been sorted yet. Does he do the mileage to need a Diesel? Passat 1.4Tsi DSG is a band B vehicle for tax so only €156 to tax, Comfortline is just under €30k ex. works.

If he needs a diesel then maybe have a look at the new Focus Saloon. Bit smaller than 508/Passat, but not by that much. 2.0Tdci 110ps Powershift Zetec is around €28k and band B as well. Powershift is a double clutch like the DSG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The 508 has really grown on me since I saw the first pictures.

I sat in one recently and the interior is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

They are very scarce in cork esp when you see the amount of new avensis,mondeo,insignia etc. around.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ofcork wrote: »
    They are very scarce in cork esp when you see the amount of new avensis,mondeo,insignia etc. around.

Irish drivers in conservative buyer pattern shocker.:)

Advertisement