Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R106 Roadworks

Options
  • 21-06-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

For anyone that's interested, I got a twitter reply ffrom FCC about these works.

Apparently, it's a water main upgrade. The roadworks start tomorrow and go on until the end of August. A few weeks later, they will be permanently resurfacig the stretch from Waterside to McAllisters corner.

It's not gonna be on par with the big upgrade they planned but at least there'll be a decent improvement in surface. Gonna be bloody torture for a couple of months though :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

FWIW, this road will be totally closed for the week 01-05 November. (Tue-Sat).
    The road closure you refer to is to facilitate resurfacing of the road from Waterside to the junction with Estuary Road.

The scheme to upgrade this road was approved some time ago. This scheme allows for the provision of footpaths, cycle lanes and upgrading of the road, however, funding has not been made available as yet for the scheme to go ahead.

There is no indication as yet of funding being made available for this scheme, it may be sometime before funds are made available.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Good.

The road surface is a joke at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think it's the worst surface I've ever driven/cycled on. Hopefully it will be rectified soon!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I wonder what alternative route the 102/142 will take?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

They sure as hell left the road in bits, will be a nightmare going around teh estuary for a week or so but will be worth it long term.

Are they really going to get it all done in a few days though? Or is it going to be bit part?

• Advertisement

They'll have that whole km or so done in 5 days I'd say. Have a google of Top Gear road resurfacing, they did that in a day :P

102/142 will use the Feltrim Road, R107 and then R106; no question.

I don't know if it was planned, but if it was you have to give them their dues for organising it during school holidays thereby having minimum impact

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

I'm sure it probably was planned to coincide with the holidays and hopefully it will be finished on time. I'm sure the weather isn't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Alan, as a matter of interest, my wife was driving down Chapel Road between St Olave's Church and the trotting track in Portmarnock and hit a pothole hidden in a puddle last week after the heavy rain destroying two tyres and one of my alloys thus setting me back at least €400-€500 to get it all rectified.

As an ex-FCC councillor, what are my chances of recourse/compensation from FCC given that works had taken place nearby there recently and that a cone had been placed in the hole later that day to avoid repeat incidents (not that I know by whom it was placed there)?

dcr22B wrote: »
    Alan, as a matter of interest, my wife was driving down Chapel Road between St Olave's Church and the trotting track in Portmarnock and hit a pothole hidden in a puddle last week after the heavy rain destroying two tyres and one of my alloys thus setting me back at least €400-€500 to get it all rectified.

As an ex-FCC councillor, what are my chances of recourse/compensation from FCC given that works had taken place nearby there recently and that a cone had been placed in the hole later that day to avoid repeat incidents (not that I know by whom it was placed there)?

This type of incident has been tried in court before as far as I can recall. It failed.

I understand it has something to do with driving with due care of the road conditions or something along those lines. Very unfortunate and far from isolated I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I had a feeling that might be the Council's take on it alright.

I have collated a lot of evidence and witness reports and intend visiting the scene tomorrow to see what the story is and regardless of the outcome, I would just like to see what kind of response (if any) that I get from them.

That said, great to see the R106 getting resurfaced. I would normally use the Estuary Road to go to Malahide from Lusk just to avoid that section near Waterside.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ants09

This type of incident has been tried in court before as far as I can recall. It failed.

are you quite sure of this Alan and can you state the case your referring to or is it just something pluck out of your imagination ?

i had a similar suitation in another part of the country and buckel me front wheel and also got a puncture and as a result i had to get a new tyre and had to get a new wheel

i felt why should i have to fork out for these expenses when the roads should be maintained to be fit for the purpose of which they were intended which is to drive on

i lodge a claim into the county council and gave them a 7 days to pay up or else legal proceedings will be issued for the cost

low and behold when i issued legal proceedings the county council payed up for the claim

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lucky you on getting compensated for the damage to your vehicle.

But in fairness to Alan - he did say "as far as I can recall" & wasn't being absolute in his statement that it was definitely the case in all instances of vehicle damage due to poorly maintained road surfaces.

Anyway does anyone know how the works are progressing? Will the road be back open sunday as planned?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Anyway does anyone know how the works are progressing? Will the road be back open sunday as planned?

The road is open.

The road is open.
    Yeah thanks drove down it last night and its like carpet - good to see that high quality slick tarmac used. Its great as far as the lights at the estuary junction - is there plans to do the part after next which is still in a shocking state?

I have collated a lot of evidence and witness reports and intend visiting the scene tomorrow to see what the story is and regardless of the outcome, I would just like to see what kind of response (if any) that I get from them.

Went down to Chapel Road yesterday to see where my alloy had been destroyed and obviously somebody had tipped FCC off about it as the pothole was filled in with tarmac. FWIW the job they did on it was appalling as it looks like they just pulled up with a truck, tipped in a load of the back and drove off. It hasn't solved the problem at all and there's two discarded hubcaps in the ditch just past the hole so I'm sure I was not the only victim of said hole.

As I'm busy studying for exams, I've decided it'll take too much work to pursue any kind of claim for the damaged I suffered but I will be contacting FCC's Roads Department to speak my mmind when they are done.

And a very nice job they've done on this section too. Mind you, the sequencing on the lights has been less favourable to us Seabury residents since they turned them off as the roadworks passed that junction :P

All that's needed now are new kerbstones and bit of a resurfacing job on the footpath, along with the broken yellow verge lines, and it will be perfect for cars although the old plan will still need to be implemented at some stage in some way shape or form to give a cycle lane the length of the route - theres only a couple of small properties stopping the existing dual-purpose path at Waterside from being extended and another 2 feet of tarmac is all that's required there if some agreement can be reached.

See FCC - wasn't that hard, was it?!

They need to do the rest its a disgrace. also they ve dug up some stuff before thr hump back bridge going into the village. I didnt really think it was bad until i hit it and thought id blown out. Be careful!

I've seen roads left in a worse state though, and at least it's signposted.

They're going to have to resurface the whole length of the road though - it's ripping people's shocks apart I'd say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement