Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuary & Mathematics

Options
  • 21-06-2011 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Have a small problem and i was hoping someone here could help

Instead of doing the actuary degree would I be able to do mathematics and then branch out into actuary and get to the same level than if i was to do the degree itself
    (Just asking because im not 100% if this is the course for me and with maths i would have options)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes!

you can do a degree such as mathematical sciences, then do the 1 year Actuarial Science HDip which can potentially give you 8 exemptions from the professional exams (for reference, the ACtuarial and Financial Studies degree offers those 8 exemptions plus an extra one, CA1). Remember, it's difficult to get all the exemptions in either case but you can get SOME of them.

Also, one option to consider is the Common Entry into Actuarial, Applicable and Financial Maths course in DCU. The first two years is common, then you can branch into Actuarial or Financial or Applicable maths (your grades need to be good to get into the Actuarial branch as it's possible to do Actuarial from the start in DCU)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fhfm

Thanks for the quick reply! That info was great help

Just a question about that

Does that mean if i do mathematics first and then branch into actuary that i would be in college longer?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes, it does, if you do the HDip.

It's also possible just to do the professional exams after doing a degree such as Maths - it's the longest way to do it if you want to become an Actuary, but once you are fully qualified you are every bit as qualified as somebody who came from the undergrad degree, or the HDip. I was talking to a fully qualified actuary once who did Computer Science (or whatever the equivalent degree was) in Galway.

The Actuarial Undergrad Degrees (UCD, DCU, Queens, NUIG, UCC, etc.) are the 'quickest' way into the profession, but as they are a bit specific, only do one if you are sure about being an Actuary!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fhfm

Doing a Mathematics degree first sounds good.Having options first than just commiting to one thing,

Advertisement