Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Connorzee wrote: »
    Is that Darragh Egan in goals the same Darragh Egan who used play outfield with tipp and has the AI medal?
    I think so,he played well when tipp beat us by a point in a qualifer in thurles.
    I saw him play with NUIG in the fitz in the mardyke about 7/8 years ago before they won the senior all Ireland and he was simply awesome at half forward. With Sheedy in the crowd looking on. Looks to have put on the weight over the years though

One and the same, a class class hurler but like he's brother before him just didn't have the physique or feet for inter county senior hurling - outfield.

He reverted to the goals for he's club about 18 months ago, having previously played there as a 16 y/o for Tipp minors, and has been a revelation. He will be part of the Senior panel next year and I expect him to be first choice for Tipp for a number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I saw him play with NUIG in the fitz in the mardyke about 7/8 years ago before they won the senior all Ireland and he was simply awesome at half forward. With Sheedy in the crowd looking on. Looks to have put on the weight over the years though

Yeah he was excellent,I'm sure i was their too.I remember him in an u21 game against KK,and he was very good too.

In relation to Barry Kelly,it will be two different worlds.Where Mcgrath pulls teams for everything,Kelly allows a lot of stuff go unpunished at times.

For those that can't go tonight,the match is live on tg4.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

One and the same, a class class hurler but like he's brother before him just didn't have the physique or feet for inter county senior hurling - outfield.

He reverted to the goals for he's club about 18 months ago, having previously played there as a 16 y/o for Tipp minors, and has been a revelation. He will be part of the Senior panel next year and I expect him to be first choice for Tipp for a number of years.

Not far off the mark. Saw him play in the first round of the North Tipp champ and made some top class saves.

Indie. wrote: »
    Not far off the mark. Saw him play in the first round of the North Tipp champ and made some top class saves.

Yes the point blank one on one from Tommy Hefferenan was exceptional and Kildangan would and should have been well beaten only for him that day, they are now in the final and are red hot favourites for same, he actually made an even better save V Moneygall in a latter round when the Moneygall FF doubled on an overhead ball into the corner and he somehow got across to save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Where is the cork intermediate match on friday?

• Advertisement

malascoile wrote: »
    Where is the cork intermediate match on friday?

Thurles 7.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Artists impression of the new stadium that was approved planning last week (pics from Joe.ie)
    Pairc-11.jpg
    Pairc-2-good.jpg
    Pairc-3-good.jpg

60 million seems like an awful lot to me.

According to wiki Tipp spent 18m refurbishing Semple stadium.

60 million seems like an awful lot to me.

According to wiki Tipp spent 18m refurbishing Semple stadium.
    Gaelic grounds cost just 12 million and kerry are spending 2 million aprox for their centre of excellence.
    Thomond Park hardly cost 60 million and that is a superb stadium.

All the concern is with the new stadium,their was little mention of the minor hurling management term being up for renewal or anything about the U21 football manager last night.

As seen by the appointment of the minor manager in the football,nothing has changed.

Their was not even an interview process for it as far as I am aware.
    While Donal O' Sullivan has coached Beara to county titles at minor,U21 and Senior in 97,I ,but I am unaware he has had any recent success.

Is he related to the late Donal O Sullivan who was chairman of the CCB in the time Cork won the three in a row and was also on the Munster Council.??
    He was a selector this year though.

Hopefully Cork will win the hurling tonight.Its winnable but a big ask all the same.

Tippereary are a fine side,and are well organised under Ken Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

cork v tipp later??

fancies? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Gaelic grounds cost just 12 million and kerry are spending 2 million aprox for their centre of excellence.
    Thomond Park hardly cost 60 million and that is a superb stadium.

It's a hilarious amount of money to spend on a stadium.

It does need to be developed but the museum is a step too far - I'd prefer to see the stadium developed, a pitch or two for development teams etc. and the rest of the money spent attempting to develop the surrounding area which has suffered over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

An absolute embarrassment of a first half performance from the u-21's. midfield aside they look like a bunch that get fitz picked up in the car park outside before throw in.
    Hopefully they can turn it on in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Did I hear correctly at half time Donal O Grady say that the Cork Goalkeeper is only 16? Or is my Irish translation wrong and Back to school for me?! :pac:

Did I hear correctly at half time Donal O Grady say that the Cork Goalkeeper is only 16? Or is my Irish translation wrong and Back to school for me?! :pac:

That's what they're all saying, is that all he is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

If I was a Cork fan I would have been seriously pissed off with 5 mins left in the first half...and if I was a Tipp fan I'd feel the same now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Games gone now I think

Cork got it back to just a point behind and then just seemed to stop playing again. Your not going to come back twice from a long way behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Ah ffs 14 points down after being down a point

Conor Lehane seems to be low on confidence. He either misses his point or its dropping short. Same happened to him in the senior game against Limerick.

As i type this, the 5th Tipp goal has just gone in. They are by far the better side but i can't help but wonder what if the Tipp defender was sent off for his foul on the Cork goalscorer at the start of the second half.

Other than a few bright sparks, Cork seem very flat. They dont look like they really want it as much as Tipp do. Thats very disappointing.Tipp really doing well blocking down clearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The difference in skill levels of the tipp forwards compared to the cork lads is the huge difference for me. Tipp backs also much tighter and composed.

• Advertisement

The difference in skill levels of the tipp forwards compared to the cork lads is the huge difference for me. Tipp backs also much tighter and composed.

To a certain extent yes the massive difference though is their ability to win their own ball as well as being skilful. Cork hurling has lost that especially lost the art of catching under pressure.
    Our backs seemed to have been very unsure of themselves from the word go whether lads were playing out of position or what I don't know but they def did not play as a unit.
    Jamie coughlan was definitely the pick of the cork forwards there, he has great vision and not afraid to mix it. Conor lehane has lost whatever confidence he had, you'd worry for him.
    Tipp look a class act.
    Very depressing all told, there's just no positives to be found in that defeat at all

Horse84 wrote: »
    To a certain extent yes the massive difference though is their ability to win their own ball as well as being skilful. Cork hurling has lost that especially lost the art of catching under pressure.
    Our backs seemed to have been very unsure of themselves from the word go whether lads were playing out of position or what I don't know but they def did not play as a unit.
    Jamie coughlan was definitely the pick of the cork forwards there, he has great vision and not afraid to mix it. Conor lehane has lost whatever confidence he had, you'd worry for him.
    Tipp look a class act.
    Very depressing all told, there's just no positives to be found in that defeat at all

You'd be streching alright looking for when, but if there is one I think Jamie Coughlan was very visible which might be positive for yer Senior team. Lehane's loss of form in the past year is a real shame though, looked a super talent.

Congratuations to Tippereary.

As good as team as they are,even their own supporters,would admit that a defeat by that margin was a huge suprise to them.No way should a cork team with this much talent,be beaten like this.
    Not even a performance,we got.

Im not suprised though.I posted here before this game,that i feared we would under Ger Fitz,get a display lacking a game plan,devoid of tactics,and a team lacking a work ethic.

This was a no brainer as it has been the hallmarks of teams under him.

He could surely see Bill Walsh was tormenting Patrick O Mahony and left him there for 40 minutes without putting spillane on him or cahalane.Mark Sugrue should have been on earlier.

Why oh why?did Cork just keep launching ball after ball time and again down on a superb Tippereary half back line.

Daniel O Mahony was in trouble and Colm Barry should have been brought on.

Brian murray who I doubted had a fine game in fairness.

Nicky kelly should have been on earlier.
    Ger Fitzgerald should have went last year but make no mistake ,he is very much in line for the job next year ,if he wants to stay on,i heard.

Their will be nothing said about this shocking display in the papers tommorrow,they will blame everything but ask questions of the managemement team.Last weekend the Echo blamed everything bar the manager with the minor crisis.

As seen by the appointment of the minor football manager,it is the wrong people appointed time and again.

On a final note,what a superb point on he's knee's by Mcgrath.It reminded me of Brian Cocoran in 2004.

Congratuations to Tippereary.

As good as team as they are,even their own supporters,would admit that a defeat by that margin was a huge suprise to them.No way should a cork team with this much talent,be beaten like this.

I think we might be reading a bit too much into this cork team with this much talent part. Ok granted there was a lot of that team starting or on the bench for the seniors but is that a proper basis to judge talent on these days with the state of hurling in the county??

Cork hurling is in a huge crisis but the only concern is the new stadium.

I'm living abroad so missed the match. First thing that struck me was that Cork only scored two points in the second half. Were Cork that bad or do Tipp deserve alot of credit?

I'm living abroad so missed the match. First thing that struck me was that Cork only scored two points in the second half. Were Cork that bad or do Tipp deserve alot of credit?

Tipp are good, a tough prospect for either team in the final. Have had two games in Thurles, and the space suits. If Clare win tomorrow, then they will be at home again. If they got to an all-ireland final, they could play 4/5 games in Thurles which would be some advantage.

But any time there's that much between them, you;d have to question the opposition. In fairness, u21 is very much so on the day, one shot and know league or anything but Cork are better than that. Bar an 8 minute spell they were way off the pace, you couldn't be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

The most worrying part is that 8 of that team are on the senior panel.

Horse84 wrote: »
    I think we might be reading a bit too much into this cork team with this much talent part. Ok granted there was a lot of that team starting or on the bench for the seniors but is that a proper basis to judge talent on these days with the state of hurling in the county??
    That is a fair point.

But at the same time we have more talent than we had like in 2011 for sum time.

Even if people say we have no talent ,the display was so rudderless and devoid of any game plan management must seriously be questioned.

In four years,our manager has won just won game at home and one away from home.For the last four years,they have blamed bad luck,bounce of the ball,and thats hurling,days like that happen.
    Whats their excuse now?

This was as close to full strength as we could get,panel wise.

Bad tactics,and no game plan ,i had posted here before thegame.

Patrick O Mahony was never a full back,and the superb tipp full forward roasted him.He is a better corner back.

Colm spillane,who done okay is not a corner back,but a full back.

Daniel O Mahony is not as good as Colm Barry.
    Corks full forward line were starved of possesion,yet Cork like our minors done,launched high ball down on a dominant and superb tipp half back line.

No Cork team is that bad.
    Dillon Cahill in super form for Cloyne could not get even on the extended panel.

I had concerns about this management team long before tonight.I was really hoping to be wrong.

And their wont even be a whisper of discontent,about tonight at the next County Board meeting.
    It won't even be on the table for disscussion.
    Cork have no given right to be winning all irelands is all we will hear.
    We are not even competing now.

• Advertisement

The most worrying part is that 8 of that team are on the senior panel.
    Yeah it is very sad.

These guys confidence levels are shattered before they settle at senior level,and are hindered due to constant underage failure and shattering defeats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement