Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Horse84 wrote: »
    That's what they're all saying, is that all he is?
    Yeah patrick collins was a minor this year.
    I don not think he was at fault for the goals,as he had little protection in front of him.

Cork Intermediate team to play Tipp in the Munster Final Friday Night at 7.30

1. Martin Coleman
    Ballinhassig

2. Mark Ellis . John O'Callaghan 4. Eoin Dillon
    Millstreet Inniscarra Milford

5. Tadhg Healy 6. Ross Cashman 7. Michael Walsh
    Buttevant Kilbrittain Kildorrery

8. John Cronin 9. Shane McCarthy
    Lisgoold Ballinhassig

10. Brian Lawton 11. Peter O'Brian 12. Rob O'Shea
    Castlemartyr Kildorrery Carrigaline

13. Colm Casey 14. Jamie Wall 15. Mark Kennefick
    Inniscarra Kilbrittain Ballygarvan

16 James Mc Sweeney Bandon
    17 Brian O Sullivan Fermoy
    18 Colm Spillane Castlelyons
    19 Michael O'Sullivan Tracton
    20 Barry Lawton Castlemartyr
    21 Bill Cooper Youghal
    22 Brian Hartnett Midleton
    23 Anthony Watson Milford
    24 Adrian Mannix Kilworth

Captain: Martin Coleman

Manager Liam Hayes

Additional Panel Members
    Mark Sugrue Bandon
    Colm Barry Castlelyons
    Nicky Kelly Mayfield
    Philip Crowley Bandon
    Kevin Hallissey Éire Óg

Ten U21 panel members on the panel.
    A Strong team,and great to see Bill Cooper and Michael O Sullivan involved with spillane on the bench.

I see few artistic impressions of the proposed puc redevelopment released today

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/pics-...-pretty-slick/

Yeah it is very sad.

These guys confidence levels are shattered before they settle at senior level,and are hindered due to constant underage failure and shattering defeats.

Conor O'Mahony was one of the unfortunates on the Tipp panel to have suffered a mauling in Nowlan Park back in 2004 in the u21 all ireland final and in fairness to Conor he has always gone on to play with such assurance and self belief. Its one bad result really tbf and ive no doubt Cork will respond in the most proactive fashion. I think the county board need to start acting with a bit of responsibility toward the Cork public though. Their approach to managerial selection is outdated.

Sometimes hammerings can keep you grounded and make you a stronger character going forward. Never ideal but its best if Cork try and learn from the experience rather then become plagued by self doubt. Personally i think they are alot better then their performance tonight suggests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭lukin

I see few artistic impressions of the proposed puc redevelopment released today

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/pics-...-pretty-slick/

It says it is going to be all-seater. This must mean that the terraces behind both goals are going to be seated. However from those images it looks like they are still terraced?Making those two areas seated will reduce the capacity drastically. I accept that extra capacity will come from adding on another tier to the covered stand (which is part of the plan) but I still don't see how this will all add up to 45,000?
    Also; no floodlights?Sure while they are at it they might as well stick them in.
    The work on the actual stadium seems minimal and there seems to be more emphasis on peripheral stuff (restaurants, meeting and conference rooms, media facilities, museum etc.).
    Still, I hope it sees the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Personably I'm kinda sick of hearing about the bloody thing. It's still a bit of a hole to get in or out of for a big match.

I'm more concerned with the standard of future cork teams that will be playing there. Who gives one flying f**k if it's going to be a state of the art stadium if we're not challenging for silverware?

Personably I'm kinda sick of hearing about the bloody thing. It's still a bit of a hole to get in or out of for a big match.

I'm more concerned with the standard of future cork teams that will be playing there. Who gives one flying f**k if it's going to be a state of the art stadium if we're not challenging for silverware?

I agree.The only succesful teams and munster champions we will be seeing the way things are going playing in the new stadium will be teams bar Cork,and the likes of Waterford or Tippereary or Clare or Limerick when Munster finals are staged in Cork due to it being a neutral venue.

Yes but if we have good facilities down at the Pairc it will attract parents to bring their kids to games. A Centre of Excellence is also part of the re-development so it's more than just a bricks and mortar project.
    Should have happened years ago IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

lukin wrote: »
    It says it is going to be all-seater. This must mean that the terraces behind both goals are going to be seated. However from those images it looks like they are still terraced?Making those two areas seated will reduce the capacity drastically. I accept that extra capacity will come from adding on another tier to the covered stand (which is part of the plan) but I still don't see how this will all add up to 45,000?
    Also; no floodlights?Sure while they are at it they might as well stick them in.
    The work on the actual stadium seems minimal and there seems to be more emphasis on peripheral stuff (restaurants, meeting and conference rooms, media facilities, museum etc.).
    Still, I hope it sees the light of day.

And for the love of God i hope they make new seats which are for people bigger than 5 feet tall!

• Advertisement

Conor O'Mahony was one of the unfortunates on the Tipp panel to have suffered a mauling in Nowlan Park back in 2004 in the u21 all ireland final and in fairness to Conor he has always gone on to play with such assurance and self belief. Its one bad result really tbf and ive no doubt Cork will respond in the most proactive fashion. I think the county board need to start acting with a bit of responsibility toward the Cork public though. Their approach to managerial selection is outdated.

Sometimes hammerings can keep you grounded and make you a stronger character going forward. Never ideal but its best if Cork try and learn from the experience rather then become plagued by self doubt. Personally i think they are alot better then their performance tonight suggests

Your right,if lessons are learned from it.But as the last four years have shown this management team like our football manager and minor hurling manager keep making the same mistakes again and again.

And we have still to appoint an U21 football manager.

The only sucessful Cork teams have been our Junior teams where since 2005 we won an all ireland in every odd year and in the hurling won a few all irelands also.

Our U21 footballers have been extremely successful,but depending on the manager it could change.

I do not share your optimism about Cork being pro-active and turning things around.We have had underage failure the last 13 years now in hurling.

SeaFields wrote: »
    And for the love of God i hope they make new seats which are for people bigger than 5 feet tall!
    I hope so too.
    Was their not a problem with the seats the last time they were done?

Yes but if we have good facilities down at the Pairc it will attract parents to bring their kids to games. A Centre of Excellence is also part of the re-development so it's more than just a bricks and mortar project.

Yea that's a fair point but do u know what will increase interest and subsequently attendance? The prospect of cork teams competing with the best and winning.
    That should be the ultimate focus, the be all and end all.

I'm not saying we should be dominating cause we're cork, that's bs. I've the highest respect for counties that have striven and worked hard and are now reaping the rewards. I envy those counties.

Look at limerick the weekend, all those kids will be inspired to play hurling now with a win like that. Eddie Brennan made an extremely good point on rte that night. He mentioned that Munster rugby had somewhat smothered gaa there for the last 10 years or so. It's not as bad here but for too long has the CB been asleep at the wheel regards games development and getting and most importantly keeping youngsters playing.

Results like last night leave a very bad taste in the mouth. A line should be drawn in the sand here and now to strive never to let a result like that happen again and stop trying to draw attention away and towards the overpriced white elephant that is the redevelopment of pairc ui chaoimh!

The problem in Cork has never or will be a lack of talent.It is how it is coached and developed is one of the problems.

Yea that's a fair point but do u know what will increase interest and subsequently attendance? The prospect of cork teams competing with the best and winning.
    That should be the ultimate focus, the be all and end all.

I'm not saying we should be dominating cause we're cork, that's bs. I've the highest respect for counties that have striven and worked hard and are now reaping the rewards. I envy those counties.

Look at limerick the weekend, all those kids will be inspired to play hurling now with a win like that. Eddie Brennan made an extremely good point on rte that night. He mentioned that Munster rugby had somewhat smothered gaa there for the last 10 years or so. It's not as bad here but for too long has the CB been asleep at the wheel regards games development and getting and most importantly keeping youngsters playing.

Results like last night leave a very bad taste in the mouth. A line should be drawn in the sand here and now to strive never to let a result like that happen again and stop trying to draw attention away and towards the overpriced white elephant that is the redevelopment of pairc ui chaoimh!
    We risk loosing our talents to other sports where their is just as good as facitilites but where they have a better chance of success.

We risk loosing our talents to other sports where their is just as good as facitilites but where they have a better chance of success.

Are we saying mallow gaa complex or nemo rangers grounds can't compete with the best of facilities rugby etc has to offer? Come on like!

We can harp on about management all we want but it's the the system that put them there is wrong until that changes nothing will improve.

Sorry for the ranting but it's just very frustrating. I've no answers as to how to change things either

The difference in Cork and Tipps preparation for last nights game was world's apart.

Like last year Tipp played a KK team about ten days ago in a challenge match,where it was hell for leather before they played Cork.They done the same again where they played KK about 2 weeks ago.

Cork by comparision last year picked their team based on a game against the intermediate team and this year based on a game against the Cork Seniors.

Surely to god,we could have got a game against Galway who are crying out for games or Clare or Waterford or even a good club side from another county.

As it was Corks first game,we needed a hard game before last night.Our team was like a team just put together on paper,they played as individuals and not as a team and for that reason the management should be questioned.

Are we saying mallow gaa complex or nemo rangers grounds can't compete with the best of facilities rugby etc has to offer? Come on like!

We can harp on about management all we want but it's the the system that put them there is wrong until that changes nothing will improve.

Sorry for the ranting but it's just very frustrating. I've no answers as to how to change things either
    No not that,they can compete with them.Their superb complexes.

I mean we are loosing players to Munster Rubgy and Soccer clubs in England etc.

I feel your pain,fellow Rebel:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

It makes no sense the money being poured into Franks egotistical monument, a basic upgrade of toilets and dressing rooms and rip out those seats and off ya go, how many games this yr will Cork play at home.?
    Bruce will have played more!
    Waste of money that is more needed for coaching and other facilities in smaller clubs, ie Kilbrin and St Itas
    What benefit is it to the real Gael to have?
    Pairc ui Rinn can hold the senior co finals with such is the attendances.
    Get a atom of reasoning please "committee"

ballbag05 wrote: »
    It makes no sense the money being poured into Franks egotistical monument, a basic upgrade of toilets and dressing rooms and rip out those seats and off ya go, how many games this yr will Cork play at home.?
    Bruce will have played more!
    Waste of money that is more needed for coaching and other facilities in smaller clubs, ie Kilbrin and St Itas
    What benefit is it to the real Gael to have?
    Pairc ui Rinn can hold the senior co finals with such is the attendances.
    Get a atom of reasoning please "committee"

Im sure the Munster Council chairman a few years ago,questioned the need of the Pairc project and it did not go down two well with the Cork County board.

Our development squads are only partly funded by the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Our development squads are only partly funded by the board.

I remember a few years ago the u17 development squads were told they were not allowed to hold onto the jerseys after their season ending tournament in Mallow. Thought at the time it was a very poor touch by those in charge. Some of those lads had trained hard for the couple of months before hand and would have been a nice touch. Correct me if im wrong but was told that there is a room in Pairc ui Caoimh full to the brim with kit bags from throughout the years.

Indie. wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago the u17 development squads were told they were not allowed to hold onto the jerseys after their season ending tournament in Mallow. Thought at the time it was a very poor touch by those in charge. Some of those lads had trained hard for the couple of months before hand and would have been a nice touch. Correct me if im wrong but was told that there is a room in Pairc ui Caoimh full to the brim with kit bags from throughout the years.
    I hate to admit you were right.

Sure back in May their was a golf classic, in Castlematyr to raise funds for the squads.

The U21 footballers were to be fair treated very well this year.Cleary made sure of it.

They had proper meals after matches etc,buses to games etc.

They even went down and played Wexford in a challenge match in Wexford and were well looked after.
    They were winning and high profile and Cleary made sure they wanted for nothing.

All Cork teams should be the same.

Their was no Interview with Ger Fitzt in the paper today.Same as Pat Kenneally.

The paper seemed to put all the blame at the players,and did not even mention the management team once.

Their was no Interview with Ger Fitzt in the paper today.Same as Pat Kenneally.

The paper seemed to put all the blame at the players,and did not even mention the management team once.

Just heard a small soundpiece from him on red fm.
    He apologised for the performance saying he thinks they did all they could to prepare the team.
    He mentioned the senior game on Sunday but he said that should've been no excuse (dunno why he mentioned it so).
    He said cork underage teams are struggling and in a "downward spiral and we're finding it hard to get out of".
    He continued by saying he believes there are good hurlers coming through but "not enough of them".
    From what I heard he stopped short of taking any responsibility from what he called an "inept" performance.

To note, I'm open to any corrections or misquotations here

He apologised for the performance saying he thinks they did all they could to prepare the team.
    He mentioned the senior game on Sunday but he said that should've been no excuse (dunno why he mentioned it so).
    He said cork underage teams are struggling and in a "downward spiral and we're finding it hard to get out of".
    He continued by saying he believes there are good hurlers coming through but "not enough of them".
    From what I heard he stopped short of taking any responsibility from what he called an "inept" performance.

oh my god.
    Im speechless.

oh my god.
    Im speechless.

Surprised lol? I'm not

Surprised lol? I'm not
    Not really,but the sheer defiance of it all is just baffling.
    I heard today On twitter last night the Cork gaa site ,gave its dissaproval about Cork fans being so negative.In fairness like.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Did anyone else see his interview before the game started? He said something like "I'm not sure how we are fixed but we will see how we get on"

Obviously not a direct quote but I got a sinking feeling straight away. I remember Denis Walsh before a Kilkenny game saying the same thing and we got hammered.If the manager doesn't know how the team is fixed then there is no chance other than hope.

I know a manager can't say we will win but at least I want to hear the lads are prepared and ready to get stuck in.That kind of It-will-Be-all-right-on-the-night thinking is what I hate. I want teams raring to go and a manager getting them up from it. I think you can tell mindsets from what manager say because it seeps through to the players when hes talking to them in the dressing room.

I don't mind losing but it attitudes have to be right

In ger's own words "he never saw that performance coming". They've been competitive all year he says.
    I dunno it's kinda hard to fight that kind of mindset like

• Advertisement

Did anyone else see his interview before the game started? He said something like "I'm not sure how we are fixed but we will see how we get on"
    If he did say that it's incredible. It was the first competitive game of the year for them, they had plenty of time to get ready.
    I remember Denis Walsh before a Kilkenny game saying the same thing and we got hammered.
    Yes but that was because he was only in the job a short time and hadn't had a lot of time with the players. Ger Fitz has no such excuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement