Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

He is stepping down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Counihan is gone!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Counihan has stepped down - good news for Cork football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hopefully there will be better days ahead for Cork football and from a Kerry perspective I look forward to many battles ahead. He delivered Cork their first All-Ireland in twenty years so history will judge him as the man who brought Cork back up to the table of champions again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Counihan has stepped down - good news for Cork football.

Who will take job?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Amprodude wrote: »
    Who will take job?

It will be interesting, hard to know, but with the right manager we will win Sam - i've no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Who will take job?

John Cleary will be in the running but I don't think he has the head for it to be honest.
    Thanks Connor I know you always tried your very best for Cork.

ted2767 wrote: »
    John Cleary will be in the running but I don't think he has the head for it to be honest.
    Thanks Connor I know you always tried your very best for Cork.

That he certainly did, but his best - as a manager - was no where near good enough unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Who will take job?

Cuthbert has Frank's blessing by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

That he certainly did, but his best - as a manager - was no where near good enough unfortunately.

Agree 100% tactially he wasn't up to it at all but I do believe he's a decent man so I hope there's no personal abuse here.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be better days ahead for Cork football and from a Kerry perspective I look forward to many battles ahead. He delivered Cork their first All-Ireland in twenty years so history will judge him as the man who brought Cork back up to the table of champions again.

Thats true but he didnt deliver enough success with the talent he had. We may not get as good as chance to make hay while the sun shines again unfortunately. Apart from this year where we were no where good enough, other years we lost games due to him being outclassed by the opposing manager be it from Kerry, Donegal or Mayo. 2010 team barely got over the line.

ted2767 wrote: »
    Agree 100% tactially he wasn't up to it at all but I do believe he's a decent man so I hope there's no personal abuse here.

None that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Cuthbert has Frank's blessing by all accounts.

Holy Cow, dont tell me that clown still has influence:(.

Holy Cow, dont tell me that clown still has influence:(.

Still pulling the strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Before people start rejoicing at the news of Conor stepping down, it should be remembered that he took over the team in 2008 after 2 games in the league where we didnt field a team. We ended up in a semi final that year v Kerry. A haul of 1 All Ireland , 3 div 1NFL, 1 Div 2 NFL and 3 Munsters is pretty impressive. Despite this, the man has taken some severe sh!te from Cork supporters. He has made mistakes on the sideline but after all hes done as a player and manager I hope he takes no notice of that rubbish. Thanks to Conor for all his efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

We werent a million miles off the Dubs today but i said it here beforehand that Dublins pace would burn us and it did.

Agree it was pace and strenght. Afraid to say Canty, PON and Kissane should retire with CC.

Dublin were well on top in midfield despite all the talk of Corks 'monsters'.

Canty + PON would have eaten it up in their prime. McCauley winning a throw in with PON towards the end kind of summed it up.

As an aside was Cadogan carrying an injury? He was running like an old man, the same against Kerry

n32 wrote: »
    Before people start rejoicing at the news of Conor stepping down, it should be remembered that he took over the team in 2008 after 2 games in the league where we didnt field a team. We ended up in a semi final that year v Kerry. A haul of 1 All Ireland , 3 div 1NFL, 1 Div 2 NFL and 3 Munsters is pretty impressive. Despite this, the man has taken some severe sh!te from Cork supporters. He has made mistakes on the sideline but after all hes done as a player and manager I hope he takes no notice of that rubbish. Thanks to Conor for all his efforts

Over those 6 years, I honestly believe we should have won more than 1 - who knows what a better manager might have done with some of the best footballers Cork have produced in quite some time.
    We will never know.

There's no doubting his commitment and hard work but equally there is no doubting his low level of tactical ability.

Not good enough for the players we had under his reign.

Not good enough for the players we had under his reign.

Theres no team winning multiple All irelands in the last few years (Kerry06/07 aside). Kerry in 2010, Dubs last year and Donegal this year are all showing the signs of wear and tear that we showed in 2011. Its a seriously attritional game now. In 2011 as All Ireland Champions, by the time we came through the qualifiers we had lost Sheehan, Colm O neill and Goulding in the forwards. Then Barry O driscoll came in and then got injured. No team could put up with those injuries. If we had a fully fit Colm O neill the last few years he would have made a significant difference

• Registered Users Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

For a county of our size its pathetic to have only 1 AI in 23 years in football.

Since then I have counted that we have been in 4 AI finals 7 Semi Finals and 2QF.

13 times in last 8 and only 1 AI to show for it.

I dont know what it is but those footballers are the most frustrating team on planet.

I am happy to see Conor go, but like n32 said we would have very short memories if we were to forget what he did for us.

I would love someone outside the county to take over. That wont go down too well with some, but I think its needs a different perspective. Wont happen with old Frank in charge.

• Advertisement

The last few years have been frustrating but if you go back to 1995 our record is woeful;
    1995; AI semi final
    1996:Lost munster final
    1997: lost to clare
    1998: lost to kerry munster s/f
    1999: AI final lost to meath
    2000: Lost to kerry munster s/f
    2001: lost to galway qualifiers
    2002: AI s/f lose to kerry
    2003: lost to limerick and roscommon
    2004: lost to kerry and fermanagh
    2005: lost to kerry AI s/f
    2006: same as 05 except won munster champ
    2007: AI final lost

Thats a shocking record and puts the last few years in perspective. 2003 and 2004 were arguably 2 of corks worst ever in senior football

The last few years have been frustrating but if you go back to 1995 our record is woeful;
    1995; AI semi final
    1996:Lost munster final
    1997: lost to clare
    1998: lost to kerry munster s/f
    1999: AI final lost to meath
    2000: Lost to kerry munster s/f
    2001: lost to galway qualifiers
    2002: AI s/f lose to kerry
    2003: lost to limerick and roscommon
    2004: lost to kerry and fermanagh
    2005: lost to kerry AI s/f
    2006: same as 05 except won munster champ
    2007: AI final lost

Thats a shocking record and puts the last few years in perspective. 2003 and 2004 were arguably 2 of corks worst ever in senior football

We wouldnt be there most years only for the back door. Kerry beat us almost every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I think you were right about this one. As much as Dublin were ahead, I thought a few tweaks and we could win the game. But with Counihan, all he does is unload the bench.

Hopefully he steps down now.

Kissane and Alan O Connor were woeful.Why Paddy Kelly wasn't on pitch I will never know
    I get no joy in this,knowing i was right.It pains me to write bad things about my team or manager.

But im not going with the flow and believe Cork can pull rabbits out of the hat.This is gaelic football at elite level,you earn your crust.

Im not an intercounty manager,far from it,just like many a die hard fan.Everything i said would happen in the game did.If I can see it,like many cork fans who unlike our fan clubs in the Echo and paper,lack the b***s to call a spade a spade,and wont step back from the emotion of Cork winning in 2010,and say Counihan is out of he's depth,things will get worse ,a lot worse by next year,so bad that like the hurlers from 07,onwards we will be miles off the rest,while the likes of Dublin,Kerry,Galway,Tyrone,Monaghan,Mayo and Meath stay ahead and in some cases move ahead of us .

I said it numerous times Kissane was slow,one dimenoshal,and more an athlete than a footballer.

AOC and O Neill were like oil and water.Jesus christ,O connor like i said,is not mobile enough to track back.He could of cost us three goals,and O Neill was just as bad.

How many breaking balls,Dublin won was crazy.Gould should have started at midfield,at least he could stay with mccauley.

Clancy tried hard,but not or never will be a corner back,at fault for the goal,when he as half backs do,attackthe ball rather than mark the man and close down space,like anthony lynch used to.

Walsh at Cf was a truly dissaster.He can not create ,or control any tempo of a game.He was then so far up the field,that he couldnt get back fast enough,when dublin tore at our midfield.

Sheehan and Hurley were superb,but imagine if sheehan was on Ger Brennan for the match and not ten minutes.Aidan walsh made Ger brennan look like Seamus moyinhan.

And brennan is not a top class centre back,good at best.Sheehan goes on him,a yellow card straight away.He could have tested him to the limit.

Loughrey was very good,but after tonight i wish the lad never played for cork,but played for another county,as couinhan will ruin him.

Jamie sul,hasnt played any football all year,yet in 15 minutes was our best back at defending.

Tom clancy and himself,have been woefully treated by Counihan,like Eoin cotter and sean kiely were before.

If i was Donnacha o connor,id be froughting at the mouth,one of the finest forwards in the game ,had to wait a full hour to play,and Pearse O Neill went in full forward before that.

What is hes obession with target men at full forward.Since Donaghy was successful,he thinks anyone one can do it.

He fails to see their is a huge difference between athletic ability in what walsh,and Murphy,and O Neill all had,but no way near the footballing ability or intelligence of Donaghy.

Canty was isolated and exposed,yet he was taken off them not taken off as clancy was injured then taken off.

As i right this ,i am,thank God,wrong,couinhan has just resigned.

Apparently he was emotional.I'm sorry but i dont feel sorry for him.How many fans are emotional that put so much time,and money and effort it.

He won us the all ireland,but he with the talent he had,one of our worst managers ever.

I did not think he would resign,so i will give him credit for that,better late than never.But in fairness,he shouldnt have stayed on this year.

We wouldnt be there most years only for the back door. Kerry beat us almost every year.

Just about to post the same - anyone up against Kerry over that period in their province would have an equally poor set of results.

I cannot remember when we had 2 or 3 very good U21 football teams in a row, combined with an array of fine footballers at senior level. That is what Cork have had over the past 6 years.

For a county of our size its pathetic to have only 1 AI in 23 years in football.

Since then I have counted that we have been in 4 AI finals 7 Semi Finals and 2QF.

13 times in last 8 and only 1 AI to show for it.

I dont know what it is but those footballers are the most frustrating team on planet.

I am happy to see Conor go, but like n32 said we would have very short memories if we were to forget what he did for us.

I would love someone outside the county to take over. That wont go down too well with some, but I think its needs a different perspective. Wont happen with old Frank in charge.

Look take the emotion out of it,he was a poor manager.He struggled to win us an all ireland,with the talent he had.

Cork were not in as bad a place in08,as people think.Morgan took an average team to a final,yet he never had the talent we had now.If morgan was allowed to stay on ,we would have won in style.

Morgan had poor cork teams beating every team in the country bar kerry.He done everything counihan done,and won us 2 all irelands.

Just cause we get a few tears apparently,its now all emphaty for him.People wanted him gone,up to 7 o clock and should not forget that.

Im delighted hes gone.If it took tonight to do that,it was well worth loosing.

No way should we go for an outside manager.Its a two horse race,Cuthbhert and Cleary.

Then again this cork after all,so Holland and teddy mcccarthy or even tompkins may come in to the fray.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why not get outside manager???

it wont happen, but why is it frowned upon?

Just about to post the same - anyone up against Kerry over that period in their province would have an equally poor set of results.

I cannot remember when we had 2 or 3 very good U21 football teams in a row, combined with an array of fine footballers at senior level. That is what Cork have had over the past 6 years.
    84 to 86,3 u21 allirelands in a row,and morgan then won two all irelands,3 finals,back to back wins,four munsters in a row and five in total.

Counihan doesnt scatch the surface.He beat average teams,bar tyroyne in 09,but were beaten consistently by the top teams.

Not a day too soon,he resigned.

I would not mind an outside manager - if the right person was not available in Cork.

Cleary - is a good manager but at senior level he is unproven - but I would not mind him getting the position as I do think he has the ability to do a good job.

We dont need a defensive mined one.Their is top class managers in cork,and if they want to have a totally defensive manager,Ned English who is line for the limerick job.

• Advertisement

We werent a million miles off the Dubs today but i said it here beforehand that Dublins pace would burn us and it did.
    in truth we were miles off.Should have conceded at least three goals.

Did we ever have control of this game.Never.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement