Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Could we see a few footballers switching to hurling? walshe cadogan sheehan?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

case885 wrote: »

No. They made decisions and I reckon they will stick to it. I would love to see them - and others play both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    No. They made decisions and I reckon they will stick to it. I would love to see them - and others play both.

Its a shame walshe went for football better at hurling imo i suppose he could play both but that is very difficult taking up so much time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

case885 wrote: »
    Cadogan would be a fine addition to the team.A lot of people bemoaned him as a full back,when the fact is,while he was poor at times,he is a much better fit than mcdonnell,and could also play half back,where hae would excel.

He also is a hard bit of stuff and would be ideal in big games.He left last year after he didnt agree with some decisions in terms of Cork strength and conditoning.

I wouldn't say the door is closed,as Alan hes brother was called up to the senior set up a few weeks back.That will all help JBM.Cadogan was a hurling man ,first and foremost.A huge bearing,will be who is the football manager.

Sheehan won't play for Cork.With hes injurys its just a huge risk to play both codes.Their is a lot of talk,that he could do well,but its overhyped in that we never saw him do anything at underage due to injury,and when he did play minor he was by no means exceptional.Mark collins was on the same team as him,and he would never be regarded as a hurler ,but was just as good as sheehan.

Walsh form has been awful,but i blame ,counihan,for nearly runining him.
    In 2010,he was one of the best midfielders in the game,but then we tried to make a full forward,out of him,when he was from from the complete article.Worse still,low on confidence,he tried to make him a centre forward.

Counihan ruined him,but walsh will be back.But he must be so frustrated ,when he knows himself he not a Cf,to be played their.If Jbm came knocking next year ,and facilited him,id say he would be tempted.As the footballer's are now in tranisiton.He always had a first love of hurling,makes hurley by trade,and Nash is bound to influence him,with the progress Cork made under JBM,id say their is a good chance he will be involved next year.Walsh is 24,said he wanted to play hurling for Cork.Now is the time,as it is becoming a young man's game.

Just those two players alone,would make a huge,difference,as we now have an all ireland medal winner,and another ball winning forward,which strengthens the panel.

Their are at least two places up for grabs,as Cussen and Naughton won't be their next year.

Cahalane would be a good inclusion but football is he's first love.

The wind has changed direction.Their is a belief in JBM squad and a trust,that counihan never had.

And JBM only concern is Cork hurling,and wont hold grudges against them for leaving this year and always said the door remained open,and when cadogan supported cusack,Jbm never commented.He left the door open.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I really hope that the CCB now pick a young manager who is tactically astute. At the moment the best managers are young, talented and very shrewd. Look at James Horan and Malachy O Rourke as examples. Alot of former Cork players names will be considered such as Teddy Holland or Cleary. Let's face it, Larry Tompkins and Conor Counihan were great players but not great managers. I think the CCB should think outside the box and maybe even pick a manager like Jack O Connor with a proven record because Cork has a fantastic panel of players and the players deserve better now from the sideline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I be more than happy to see Jack O Connor get it.

Never going to happen of course which is shame.

We need somebody who is proven winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Can you imagine if we did get him? We would be a great team.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Can you imagine if we did get him? We would be a great team.

Well we would get the most out of the talent we have.

Sadly it wont happen. Frank would not like that.

Well we would get the most out of the talent we have.

Sadly it wont happen. Frank would not like that.

Frank is a d^^k.

I think that it will never happen but I'd love to see Jack O' Connor managing Cork. The CCB would never allow it. But does anyone genuinely think that Jack O' Connor would want the job. I reckon he would if the conditions were right

• Advertisement

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I think that it will never happen but I'd love to see Jack O' Connor managing Cork. The CCB would never allow it. But does anyone genuinely think that Jack O' Connor would want the job. I reckon he would if the conditions were right

I think he would if he got the moolah.

We can dream.

Yes Jack is a great manager and would be very good,but i think people are loosing the run of themselves,and it seems utter panic now,counihan is gone,that an outside man is needed.

I just find all this a bit much,to be honest.First and foremost,no need to panic,we have not lost Micko o Dywer,or Sean Boylan,we only lost counihan.

He is at best an average manager.And in my view,unless the CCB make a pig ears of it,at the worst we will a manager,that is better than counihan,as no one can make the calamity of error's he made.

Yes we want a guy to win us an all ireland.There is no guarantee an outside man will fare any better,as not since 2001,has a manager outside the county won an all ireland,as Harte,Kernan,Counihan,Gilroy,O shea,and Mcguinness have all been home grown.

Yes other counties have benfited from outside men,but it has not won them an all ireland.

Counties like Cork ,will only do well when they have their own style of play ,based on the type of players we have.Yes we need to copy a blanket to an extent,and attack like dublin,but it must be our own style as football is evolving.

Its laughable,i mean crazy,the names being mentioned.Mcgeeney,kernan,jason ryan,i heard cork people say those names.

No,no no.we took a step forward yesterday,when counihan walked,do not take ten steps back.Unless you have a good manager,we are going no where.

An outside manager has he's risks,they wont get to all club games in a county the size of cork,wont get the full backing of the clubs,cost cork huge money that needs to be invested in underage,and a manager from the outside wont understand the Genetics of Cork football.

To solve a problem,you got to understand why it is a problem and how it became one.Cork football is better served by a Corkman,who knows it,inside out,and what he doe's not know about Cork,is not worth knowing.

When Dublin went looking for a manager in 2009,O connor was mentioned,it sold newspapers,but it was never going to happen.

To connect with the Hill,to get the love of dublin football back,they needed to have a Dub,at the helm.They did ,and now with gavin,have the right men.
    Dublin have their own make up,culture ,Cork are the same.Dublin have won all irelands with out foreign managers,cork can do the same.

The plain and simple fact is cork and correctly so wont get an outside manager.

This is not a premiership club ,or Munster rubgy ,where you can buy players,and coaches from the outside have a superior tactial awarness in to the fundamentals of the game,like bringing in a new zealand manager.

This is the Gaa,our game,where their is talented managers within the county that know the game inside out,but like Mcguinness,Harte,Micko etc, they were all given the chance.

The game of football has become more complex,like a game of chess to a degree,in the last few years.

But with the new rules,and as seen by Dublin,and Mayo,and Kerry,footballing talent is coming to the fore over systematic game plans ,in like a computer that Donegal proved today,once its main server crashes,that its,it crashes,and have no back up.The game will go back to the more basic skills in the future.

All irelands will be won by indidiviual talents ,more so than team orientated systems in the future to a degree.

Cork have more natural talent available coming through than donegal and Kerry,up their with tyrone ,and mayo and Galway ,and behind the Dubs.They need a Cork manager who will keep it simple,and play football.This was the year for the blanket ,but Not next year.

Meath a fine side are as Galway ,and are and will improve ,under O' Dowd and Mullholland,as their county men,and will play the traditional way that suits their style of football.Cork must follow suit.
    Meath made a woeful mistake in bringing an outside man last year,in that he was against the traditions of meath football.

A county that produced intelligent leaders,from Jack Lynch, to JBM,to Canon Michael O Brien,to Morgan,JBM, Cork has just as much talented people that can lead from the front.

From the name's i mentioned last night,if none of them wanted it,Eammon Ryan,is another top class coach,won cork a minor in 93,and every team he has worked with,has won with.

By all means bring in an outside trainer etc,but the manager must and should be a cork man.

I said a few weeks ago,Donegal were beatable ,and Mayo were a fine side.Donegal are a one trick pony,and wont be win for a long time.

There is no reason with the right blend of youth and expierence,we cant be up their with Dublin,Mayo and Tyrone next year.

Kerry while ,i expect them to do well this year,have a lot of guys at the end of their careers,and a lot of their underage teams have been beaten by Cork regulary in kerry down the years.

With counihan gone,it may in time prove to bad news for them.

I'm very hopeful of our future,as things can only get better.And while Cleary or Cuthbert have to prove themselves if they get it, they are an improvement on Counihan,and much more in tune with the modern game.

Who is panicking?

I stated we need not to rush to make decision. We need to get this selection right.

Who is panicking?

I stated we need not to rush to make decision. We need to get this selection right.
    Talk of outside managers,to me ,is panic.,we dont have talent in cork.
    And i wouldnt agree we should take our time.

We will probably wait til october knowing cork.The new manager should be in the job by septemeber,let him attend the latter stages of club games and the county final,and the players in it,at least know they have a chance to impress.

Cork said it 3 years ago, they dont believe in outside managers,when the hurling manager was available.
    Their wont ,and everyone in Cork knows it will be a cork manager.With the white elphant of the new stadium as the main focus,does anyone realistically see cork spending money on an outside manager.

Its just never a possibilty.

Talk of outside managers,to me ,is panic.,we dont have talent in cork.
    And i wouldnt agree we should take our time.

We will probably wait til october knowing cork.The new manager should be in the job by septemeber,let him attend the latter stages of club games and the county final,and the players in it,at least know they have a chance to impress.

Cork said it 3 years ago, they dont believe in outside managers,when the hurling manager was available.
    Their wont ,and everyone in Cork knows it will be a cork manager.With the white elphant of the new stadium as the main focus,does anyone realistically see cork spending money on an outside manager.

Its just never a possibilty.

Thats panicking!!

Nobody is panicking! Why has that been suggested? A few of us believe that Jack O' Connor is a good manager and would serve Cork well. Jason Ryan is another good manager. All of these managers have already achieved a huge amount of success in the game and have considerable experience at inter county level. I think that the best manager should be picked for the job and it shouldn't matter whether they are a Cork person or an outside manager. Emotion should not come into it and Cork should not pick a manager just because it is a Cork person. We need a skilled tactician. The game has evolved and we need a manager with a brain!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 chrismm

I think Lynch works as a Stockbroker in Cork. I have seen him in Cork a few times. I would love to see him involved.

chrismm wrote: »
    I think Lynch works as a Stockbroker in Cork. I have seen him in Cork a few times. I would love to see him involved.

I wouldnt. What would he bring to the table?

Why would Lynch be a good choice? He's got no experience at all of management

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

What Cork need is a manager with a proven record of winning! Forget former greats like Counihan who delivered an all ireland with a team that fell over the line. I went to every Cork game in 2010 and against limerick in the back door and roscommon in the q-final Cork were abysmal. And again in the semi and final we stumbled over the finish line. Got beat by Kerry in the Parc in a replay while having enough possession to win 10 matches. Counihan is a good man but his inability to change and favouritism probably cost us a few more Sam Maguires.

There a plenty of good candidates inside the county, Brian Cuthbert, Cleary, John Fintan Daly. I think Billy Morgan should be reconsidered too. We played a better brand of football under him with far less talented players at his disposal.

I think the Jack O' Connor idea should be given serious consideration. A proven winner, very tactically astute, would get us playing with a style that would suit our strong points, no bias in selection and he is the kind of character that takes no s**t. Never liked him as Kerry manager because his teams regularly beat us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 chrismm

Maybe not as Manager but he was a great defender and surely He would have something to offer as a Coach to the defence(badly wanted). However, I could see why he may not be interested as working with an Intercounty team is very time consuming.

I agree. I think the style of football that Jack O' Connor believes in is exactly what most Cork people want. We would all love to see Cork playing an attacking brand of football that would get fast direct ball into the forwards. Jack got his Kerry teams to do exactly that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Amprodude wrote: »
    Wouldn't have confidence in Cleary, he has lost with good u21 teams before.
    cleary is a shoe in for the job

Cleary might not want the job. He stepped down as U21 manager this year because of the demands of the post, so he might have had enough management at this stage. He knows alot of the current senior players from success in 07 and 09 with the U21s

Thats panicking!!
    Picking a manager in a month..in fairness,its not panicking,its forward thinking.What u do u want to do?wait til the club season is over.

Picking a manager in a month..in fairness,its not panicking,its forward thinking.What u do u want to do?wait til the club season is over.

get best person for the job.

Nobody is panicking! Why has that been suggested? A few of us believe that Jack O' Connor is a good manager and would serve Cork well. Jason Ryan is another good manager. All of these managers have already achieved a huge amount of success in the game and have considerable experience at inter county level. I think that the best manager should be picked for the job and it shouldn't matter whether they are a Cork person or an outside manager. Emotion should not come into it and Cork should not pick a manager just because it is a Cork person. We need a skilled tactician. The game has evolved and we need a manager with a brain!

What has Jason ryan done ?did he do anything of real signifance with wexford.He made them competive,no more no less.

Jack o connor was a fantastic manager.But why would or should we go for him,Billy morgan would jump at the job,and is a coach,in tune with the modern game.

Why should we spend oulandish money on an outside man,when Cork hurling and football development squads are in dire need of funding,we only have 5 full time development officers.Dublin in the hurling have 50 ,partly funded by the clubs and board.
    Their is plenty of options in cork.

get best person for the job.
    Doesnt take you a month in fairness.Surely to god,they have a shortlist already,and hardly take longer than a month to interview etc.

I think Jason Ryan did a fantastic job with Wexford. A manager doesn't have to win a trophy to be successful. I think Billy Morgan has had plenty of time as manager of Cork and he's been very successful. It would be better to go with someone fresh. The best managers in the game at the moment are all young. Look at James Horan, Malachy O Rourke, Mick O' Dowd. What's wrong with going for Jack O' Connor. If he is the best manger then we should pick him.
    If you look at the Cork hurlers. It's widely known that the CCB did not like John Allen. He stepped down after serving his 2 years with Cork. He's gone to Limerick and has had alot of success with them already. I don't think Limerick people care that he is not a native of the county. I don't think Dublin care that Anthony Daly is not from Dublin either.

• Advertisement

Why would Lynch be a good choice? He's got no experience at all of management
    As a selector yes,maybee but he has no club expierence at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement