Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I mentioned Jack O' Connor too. I think he might be interested in the job. I'm not too sure how happy he was last year standing down from the Kerry job. I think the issues concerning remarks he made in his book might have been problematic. He had discipline problems with Donnaghy last year and Tomás Ó Sé and Gooch Cooper in the past. I think Jack would still feel he has a lot to give football. He is retired now from the teaching and a challenge like the Cork job with a very strong panel of players might suit him. Also, he had the beating of Counihan on big days, there probably isn't another manager in the country that knows Cork better outside of our own lads. Alot of contributors here don't like JOC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I mentioned Jack O' Connor too. I think he might be interested in the job. I'm not too sure how happy he was last year standing down from the Kerry job. I think the issues concerning remarks he made in his book might have been problematic. He had discipline problems with Donnaghy last year and Tomás Ó Sé and Gooch Cooper in the past. I think Jack would still feel he has a lot to give football. He is retired now from the teaching and a challenge like the Cork job with a very strong panel of players might suit him. Also, he had the beating of Counihan on big days, there probablyesd isn't another manager in the country that knows Cork better outside of our own lads. Alot of contributors here don't like JOC though.

Opinions would change fast if he took over Cork and delivered success. The hated would become the beloved. I never disliked the man only on match days between Cork and Kerry.

I think he was a very shrewd tactician. He delivered 3 All Irelands to Kerry so he's got a proven track record and would get Cork playing the style of football we all want to see. Fast, direct ball into our forwards. Cork played well on Saturday night against Dublin but the quality of ball going into the forwards could have been better. Just imagine how good Cork could be next year with Sheehan, O'Neill and Hurley in the full forward line

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

I must admit I'd be happy enough if O Connor was given the role, he has the energy and experience to make us challenge again. However, I believe the only man for the job is John Cleary. Look at his career, All Ireland winner as player (remember his 2 penalties against the Dubs in the semi, I had the pleasure of standing in the driving rain in The Canal End that day!!!) All Ireland winner in underage coaching at different levels. His next challenge has to be the senior job, he knows the youth talent inside out and has managed O Neill Walsh etc. Cuthbert as selector would work well too, again has the experience and knowledge to make a big contribution. These guys deserve the chance to bring Cork football back to the top again. We need a new half back line and a partner for Walsh in midfield. Walsh must be settled in midfield as well, it's his best position and moving him around doesn't work. I have great hope for our footballers in the near future, we have the players that can deliver, we just need a manager that can put the pieces of the jigsaw together.

A massive " go raibh mile mile maith agat" to Counihan, Canty, Kissane, O Connor, Quirke, great players that delivered success to The Blood and Bandage. And now we move to this Sunday and hopefully a win for the hurlers.

CORCAIGH ABU!!!!!!!

Rebel Fan wrote: »
    I must admit I'd be happy enough if O Connor was given the role, he has the energy and experience to make us challenge again. However, I believe the only man for the job is John Cleary. Look at his career, All Ireland winner as player (remember his 2 penalties against the Dubs in the semi, I had the pleasure of standing in the driving rain in The Canal End that day!!!) All Ireland winner in underage coaching at different levels. His next challenge has to be the senior job, he knows the youth talent inside out and has managed O Neill Walsh etc. Cuthbert as selector would work well too, again has the experience and knowledge to make a big contribution. These guys deserve the chance to bring Cork football back to the top again. We need a new half back line and a partner for Walsh in midfield. Walsh must be settled in midfield as well, it's his best position and moving him around doesn't work. I have great hope for our footballers in the near future, we have the players that can deliver, we just need a manager that can put the pieces of the jigsaw together.

A massive " go raibh mile mile maith agat" to Counihan, Canty, Kissane, O Connor, Quirke, great players that delivered success to The Blood and Bandage. And now we move to this Sunday and hopefully a win for the hurlers.

CORCAIGH ABU!!!!!!!

I dont think Cleary is the solution. He has lost few times in U21 level most notably in 2011 against Galway when we were fancied to go all the way after hammering Kerry. I know it can happen but IMO it would be more of the same with Cleary. Before i get attacked i state IMO he isnt the best option. Not ruthless enough in my opinion. Others here might disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Can I ask as to why Cadogan is still started in every game?

He was awful in the Munster final and got roasted by different players in the first half and then taken off.
    He was then taken apart by Meehan against Galway and on Saturday an off-form Brogan beat him to every ball.

He looks completely out of his depth as an intercounty man-marker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

How about JBM as manager for both codes?.......Jimmy's winning matches ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

Will cork people be going into Hill 16 on sunday or will it be swamped with dubs??? Just wondering whether or not to get a hill ticket?

Can I ask as to why Cadogan is still started in every game?

He was awful in the Munster final and got roasted by different players in the first half and then taken off.
    He was then taken apart by Meehan against Galway and on Saturday an off-form Brogan beat him to every ball.

He looks completely out of his depth as an intercounty man-marker
    Cadogan and Shields were both caught for a lot of pace this year. I'm not sure if this is a new thing though. I don't think Cadogan ever looked right this year. It wouldn't surprise me if he was carrying some sort of a niggly injury.

I don't think it's fair to judge Cleary on the performance of the U21s. You can only do so much at that level. You're restricting by the age limit, it's very hard to keep continuity in a team. Look at how impressive the Galway U21s have been and at senior level have been a disappointment. Having said all that, I agree that Cleary would be a mistake. He's untested at senior management. I'd like to see him manage another team at senior inter county level and get more experience that way before taking over Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

croker1 wrote: »
    Will cork people be going into Hill 16 on sunday or will it be swamped with dubs??? Just wondering whether or not to get a hill ticket?

Cork might not turn up for football, but they will for Hurling.

• Advertisement

Cork might not turn up for football, but they will for Hurling.

I know that's probably true. But the home of Cork football is west Cork. We always travel in big numbers to Fitzgerald stadium but I have to say I'm not a fan of Páirc Uí Chaoimh. There's no atmosphere there. I'd much prefer Thurles. And putting the Cork footballers on last Saturday night at 7pm made it impossible for fans to travel in big numbers. I don't know why they couldn't bring that game to Thurles. They could easily have brought the football between Galway and Cork to Thurles as well

croker1 wrote: »

Cork are a proud hurling county. We wont have that problem of not supporting them in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

John Fintan Daly would be a great choice

Prop Joe wrote: »
    John Fintan Daly would be a great choice

I think he would be an excellent choice but i think he was turned down by Frank and the boys before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

He is an excellent manager and is from a local parish to me! The man eats drinks and sleeps football. And as said in previous posts the home football in Cork lies west of Mallow. We need a Duhallow man to take over the reigns. JFD is very tactically astute and has proven himself in Kerry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

JFD???? stop, seriously? When has he last been successful? No, too eccentric for an inter county team. What about Ned English or Ephie Fitzgerald while we are at it? No we need a youngish former player to step up to the mark, i heard anthony lynch mentioned but is there any former players (nothing before 88) coaching club teams or involved in management?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

I've no doubt cork will show up in numbers but im wondering about the Hill 16 in particular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

In relation to Jack o connor,i agree he is a very good manager,and i dont have any problem with him.

My problem,is that money cork would spend on him,is much needed elsewhere like the development squads.People seem to be olivibous to the fact,all money is focused on the Pair project.
    Does any see how cork would fund Jack?

The same county board that despite the PR bravado and bull,we would have cork leauge games in clon or mallow etc,to increase the attendences,one the Board realise the clubs would keep most of the gate receipts,it was shot down at the meeting as they need all funds primarily for their overpriced white elephant.

All the dreams of jack or an outside man are way of the mark.

And my view is Jack is no better or worse than Morgan.Yes morgan lost finals,so too did Jack to tyrone.

While Boylan was Morgans superior Harte was Jacks.Boylan is gone,But Harte is still and will be around for a while yet.

Would i be confident of Cork beating tyrone with Jack?certainly not,he at times failed with kerry,whats to say he would win with cork.

So if a Miracle happened and cork wanted an outside man,then Jack is not the answer,and the money would be better served kept,and get Morgan,who would want F**k all to manage Cork,but Respect which he has earned.

John fintan daly,be a superb coach,but having won a u21 title in 94,was overlooked in 97,in favour of Larry,and over looked for under age jobs in cork since,and the fact Duhallow dont sit well with the Board,mean he hasnt a hope in hell of even getting an interview.

As seen by Counihan,Ger fitzgerald,Larry tompkins,great players are not a reason to get a managers job.

Anthony lynch,has No expierence so no way should he get it.

The county board meet next tuesday, and a sub committee then be set up,and then they will draw up a list,and consult the Clubs.

Their will be names thrown out their in the media,and it will seem like the clubs have a huge say,when at the end of the day,the board and only the board will have the say who gets the job.

Its between cuthbert and cleary for the job.

In relation to Jack o connor,i agree he is a very good manager,and i dont have any problem with him.

My problem,is that money cork would spend on him,is much needed elsewhere like the development squads.People seem to be olivibous to the fact,all money is focused on the Pair project.

The same county board that despite the PR bravado and bull,we would have cork leauge games in clon or mallow etc,to increase the attendences,one the Board realise the clubs would keep most of the gate receipts,it was shot down at the meeting as they need all funds primarily for their overpriced white elephant.

And my view is Jack is no better or worse than Morgan.Yes morgan lost finals,so too did Jack to tyrone.

While Boylan was Morgans superior Harte was Jacks.Boylan is gone,But Harte is still and will be around for a while yet.

Would i be confident of Cork beating tyrone with Jack?certainly not,he at times failed with kerry,whats to say he would win with cork.

So if a Miracle happened and cork wanted an outside man,then Jack is not the answer,and the money would be better served kept,and get Morgan,who would want F**k all to manage Cork,but Respect which he has earned.

John fintan daly,be a superb coach,but having won a u21 title in 94,was overlooked in 97,in favour of Larry,and over looked for under age jobs in cork since,and the fact Duhallow dont sit well with the Board,mean he hasnt a hope in hell of even getting an interview.

As seen by Counihan,Ger fitzgerald,Larry tompkins,great players are not a reason to get a managers job.

The county board meet next tuesday, and a sub committee then be set up,and then they will draw up a list,and consult the Clubs.

Their will be names thrown out their in the media,and it will seem like the clubs have a huge say,when at the end of the day,the board and only the board will have the say who gets the job.

Ultimately you're right it probably will be Cleary or Cuthbert. I'd like to make one point in favour of Jack O' Connor. At least he's had a very successful inter-county career with Kerry. His record can be scrutinized. Also Morgan's career can be dissected. But we honestly haven't a clue how Cuthbert, Cleary or any other unknown will be like at inter county level. It's a completely different challenge to underage.

In respect of the money argument. You could argue that a high profile appointment like Jack O' Connor and a successful All-Ireland bid with Cork could in the future pay for itself by attracting a bigger sponsor. But, in this climate, it's difficult to attract a sponsor. Cork have lost O2 and Dublin have lost Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭shockframe

Very little to disagree with here.

I never rated Counihan highly and also thought that his selectors from 2008-12 held him back greatly but as limited as I felt about the management the failings of Cork football can be traced to the CCB and one man in particular.

David Brady spoke on OTB tonight about how Mayo trainer donie buckley had brought expertise from College American Football having been over there for 3/4 months and had players wearing earpieces to communicate with them about possible mistakes in training.It shows how much things have moved on from the past.

This is just an example of 1 modern method brought into GAA.Could you imagine trying to convince someone like frank or the rest of the CCB the merits of buying into this.You'd probably be laughed out of it.The public dont realise that for all the talent cork has in a county at any given time devoting little things to issues like other sporting innovations can sometimes be the difference between winning and losing.

Objections should really be put in place to the redevelopment of PUC.It would be a huge mistake and would be a reminder of not just a sporting folly but also the celtic tiger era rash building boom and all that went with it.

If the CCB do as they wish you will possibly have the next football all ireland to look forward to in 2029.

• Advertisement

shockframe wrote: »
    Very little to disagree with here.

I never rated Counihan highly and also thought that his selectors from 2008-12 held him back greatly but as limited as I felt about the management the failings of Cork football can be traced to the CCB and one man in particular.

David Brady spoke on OTB tonight about how Mayo trainer donie buckley had brought expertise from College American Football having been over there for 3/4 months and had players wearing earpieces to communicate with them about possible mistakes in training.It shows how much things have moved on from the past.

This is just an example of 1 modern method brought into GAA.Could you imagine trying to convince someone like frank or the rest of the CCB the merits of buying into this.You'd probably be laughed out of it.The public dont realise that for all the talent cork has in a county at any given time devoting little things to issues like other sporting innovations can sometimes be the difference between winning and losing.

Objections should really be put in place to the redevelopment of PUC.It would be a huge mistake and would be a reminder of not just a sporting folly but also the celtic tiger era rash building boom and all that went with it.

If the CCB do as they wish you will possibly have the next football all ireland to look forward to in 2029.

To be fair, PUC is not fit for purpose any more. It has become outdated and some redevelopment needs to take place. I think there has been an arrogance in Cork and with other counties like Kerry. There has been a reluctance to adopt change. I also heard David Brady talking about the ear pieces. It's another innovation. Jim McGuinness, Mickey Harte, James Horan have all piloted innovative tactics, coaching techniques and technologies. It's time the so called tradition big counties like Cork and Kerry go with the flow. Galway is another county that serious needs its structures to be revamped because Galway is a pure embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭MfMan

To be fair, PUC is not fit for purpose any more. It has become outdated and some redevelopment needs to take place. I think there has been an arrogance in Cork and with other counties like Kerry. There has been a reluctance to adopt change. I also heard David Brady talking about the ear pieces. It's another innovation. Jim McGuinness, Mickey Harte, James Horan have all piloted innovative tactics, coaching techniques and technologies. It's time the so called tradition big counties like Cork and Kerry go with the flow. Galway is another county that serious needs its structures to be revamped because Galway is a pure embarrassment.

How so?

MfMan wrote: »
    How so?
    I wouldn't know a huge amount about Galway's structures, but there is something wrong with a county that has had incredible success at underage level, especially winning U21 titles in '11 and '13 and then not being able to develop that talent through to senior level. Galway have chopped and changed their mangers too often over the last number of years, O Flatharta, Sammon, Kiernan. It's been impossible to have continuity. I know Galway have stuck with Alan Mulholland for a second year and will probably stay with him for a third year but I don't think he has the tactical awareness at senior inter county level. Galway looked a complete shambles against Mayo this year, there were so many basic errors, it's hard to believe that players were coached properly leading into that game.

Nobody disputes it needs to be redeveloped,but it Does need our justfiy the 67m even accounting for the docklands project,to be spent on it.

The same board didnt even give the Pairc a lick of paint the last few years,and now there obessed with it.

And we dont need another centre of excellence.Their are faclities already availble that are much better then the proposed newly built one.It would be much better for Cork Gaa if the redevelopment ,was refused,and scaled back.

I wouldn't know a huge amount about Galway's structures, but there is something wrong with a county that has had incredible success at underage level, especially winning U21 titles in '11 and '13 and then not being able to develop that talent through to senior level. Galway have chopped and changed their mangers too often over the last number of years, O Flatharta, Sammon, Kiernan. It's been impossible to have continuity. I know Galway have stuck with Alan Mulholland for a second year and will probably stay with him for a third year but I don't think he has the tactical awareness at senior inter county level. Galway looked a complete shambles against Mayo this year, there were so many basic errors, it's hard to believe that players were coached properly leading into that game.

Mullaholland is a very good manager and in one year has made huge progress.He got Galways best run in the qualifers in ages,and like any good manager,can suffer a mauling ,but its how he learns from it is the key.

JBM has suffered a mauling with Cork in 2012,Sean boylan did with meath against tyrone ,doesnt make them a bad manager.

If its a rare occurance it can happen the best,once it does not become the normal.

A young Galway were massacred by mayo.Hasnt though in all fairness,that happened every team that Mayo played this year suffered the same fate.The apparently Great Jimmy mcguiness suffered the same fate .
    Galway improved since Mayo and won games they normally loose,and tactially even against Cork got it spot on.

Against Cork,they played super football.And the way the game is changing,it will suit their style.

To suggest anything other than Mulloholland who won Galway an U21 all ireland,after Galways best season in years is tactically inept after one year is way of the mark.

CORK hurling team named later tonight.

The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Dublin in Sunday's All-Ireland Semi-Final at 3.30pm in Croke Park will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash
    Kanturk

2. Stephen McDonnell 3. Shane O'Neill 4. Conor O'Sullivan
    Glen Rovers Bishopstown Sarsfields

5. Tom Kenny 6. Christopher Joyce 7. William Egan
    Grenagh Na Piarsaigh Kilbrin

8. Lorcan Mc Loughlin 9. Daniel Kearney
    Kanturk Sarsfields
    10. Seamus Harnedy 11. Jamie Coughlan 12. Pa Cronin
    St. Ita's Newtownshandrum Bishopstown

13. Luke O'Farrell 14. Patrick Horgan 15. Conor Lehane
    Midleton Glen Rovers Midleton

16. Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
    17. Kilian Murphy Erin's Own
    18. Brian Murphy Bride Rovers
    19. Mark Ellis Millstreet
    20. Stephen White Ballygarvan
    21. Rob O'Shea Carrigaline
    22. Cian McCarthy Sarsfields
    23. Stephen Moylan Douglas
    24. Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
    25. Michael Cussen Sarsfields
    26. Michael O'Sullivan Tracton

Jimmy Barry-Murphy has made no changes in personnel to the team that defeated Kilkenny in the All-Ireland Quarter-Final. Brian Murphy returns to the panel following a serious shoulder injury sustained in a club game.

Mullaholland is a very good manager and in one year has made huge progress.He got Galways best run in the qualifers in ages,and like any good manager,can suffer a mauling ,but its how he learns from it is the key.

JBM has suffered a mauling with Cork in 2012,Sean boylan did with meath against tyrone ,doesnt make them a bad manager.

If its a rare occurance it can happen the best,once it does not become the normal.

A young Galway were massacred by mayo.Hasnt though in all fairness,that happened every team that Mayo played this year suffered the same fate.The apparently Great Jimmy mcguiness suffered the same fate .
    Galway improved since Mayo and won games they normally loose,and tactially even against Cork got it spot on.

Against Cork,they played super football.And the way the game is changing,it will suit their style.

To suggest anything other than Mulloholland who won Galway an U21 all ireland,after Galways best season in years is tactically inept after one year is way of the mark.
    I wouldn't want to be a Galway basher or an Alan Mulholland basher but I genuinely feel that he is out of his depth. I think in the grander scheme of things the qualifiers were a bit of an anomaly and Cork were not at the races against Galway, and prob were not at the races this year at all. Armagh were a shambles under Grimley. Galway were brilliant last year against Roscommon but were absolutely hammered by Sligo and were beaten by a poor Antrim in the qualifiers. I genuinely think Mulholland is an incredibly nice man but I'm not sure if he's up to at this level. Hopefully next year will prove me long. Nice guys don't always have to finish last!

VETERAN Cork hurler Brian Murphy hasn't ruled out seeing some action before the end of the season, even if getting some game-time against Dublin on Sunday looks like a long shot.
    The defender has gone to extraordinary lengths to get back from the shoulder injury he suffered in a club game in late June which looked to have finished his season.
    A friend of Murphy's, Joe O'Neill, who works in the racing industry in England, has pointed him in the direction of Dr Philip Pritchard in Birmingham who has a reputation for getting jockeys with collarbone problems quickly back in the saddle.
    "He told me that if I was a jockey, he'd hope to have me back in two weeks," Murphy revealed. "So far, it's going well. It has given me hope."
    Against all expectations, he is back training with the Rebels again and, given his experience, Cork would be thrilled to get any game-time out of him. Murphy remains just one of two players left among the four semi-finalists (along with Cork team-mate Tom Kenny) to have won an All-Ireland medal on the field of play.

• Advertisement

There should be 6 or seven of the Junior team getting a run out with Cork next year,in O'sullivan who has trained with the seniors,Hanahran,Kiely(never got a fair crack with Counihan) and Rory Deane,and Cathal Vaughan.

Mark sugrue has great potenial,but JBM has apparently been keeping an eye on him.He is a fine hurler as shown by a superb goal against Tipp.It will be interesting to see what codes he chooses,likewise Jamie wall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement