Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

If Dublin were not already down to 14, Rushe would have gone.

Some naivity from Cork with 20 mins to go, but the Croke Park experience will have brought them on hugely. Hitting bad high clearances at times into a full back line that had an extra player, a weird move by Daly. I'm delighted for the Dubs, huge money and effort gone in to improve hurling in the last 10 years and its showing, at least one piece of silverware

Already got a phone call about tickets!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

If Dublin were not already down to 14, Rushe would have gone.

Some naivity from Cork with 20 mins to go, but the Croke Park experience will have brought them on hugely. Hitting bad high clearances at times into a full back line that had an extra player, a weird move by Daly. I'm delighted for the Dubs, huge money and effort gone in to improve hurling in the last 10 years and its showing, at least one piece of silverware

Already got a phone call about tickets!!

Ill take one of ya -:-o

Yeah dublin ,are a fine team and won a fine leinster,but cork had too much hurling.

Thats the great thing,we won but we were poor for twenty minutes,can get goals,so theres lots to improve on,but plenty time to now in 4 weeks.Club games next week,pray g to god harnedy,lorchan nash,horgan ,lehane,joyce all come through unscathed.

All the same what a great manager can do.Just makes me more frustrated with our Genius,we had for 6 years in the football.

Cork juniors won in the football.

Anyone any news on the camoige?

Great to beat dublin,lets hope the ladies can beat them now.

As i called it Mcloughlin got man of the match.He was superb.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

camogie is not on until next weekend!

The tickets are gone already if I get them, think I'm entitled to two, not sure, will find out tomorrow!

It was obvious McLoughlin got MOTM, only Cork player interviewed!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ill take one of ya -:-o

Yeah dublin ,are a fine team and won a fine leinster,but cork had too much hurling.

Thats the great thing, ng,we won but we were poor for twenty minutes,can get goals,so theres lots to improve on,but plenty time to now in 4 weeks.Club games next week,pray g to god harnedy,lorchan nash,horgan ,lehane,joyce a O ll come through unscathed.

All the same what a great manager can do.Just makes me more frustrated with our Genius,we had for 6 years in the football.

Cork juniors won in the football.

Anyone any news on the camoige?

Great to beat dublin,lets hope the ladies can beat them now.

Just about too much hurling, the sending off had a huge part. Fair play to Cork for winning, it was tight and plenty of hurling battles all over the field won and lost on the day.

At least spare Dublin the old standard line of Cork having too much hurling in them, the other line is its great for the GAA, sick of that one too.
    The game today was close very close after the sending off Cork pushed extra men up and got the scores they deserved the win but was plenty of hurling in Dublin, it could have gone the other way, but Cork won well done, I agree that taking the lad off would have been wise but we didn't, that turned out to be a Dublin mistake.
    When it was 15 v 15 Cork didn't have too much hurling for Dublin.
    I'm not talking from Corks win, well done it was deserved just from your comments directly they are IMHO tired and proven to be outdated today. You don't in my book get to win and walk away from the game stating you were too good, Dublin not making a sub had nothing to do with Corks skills.
    Well done again great turn out too.

• Advertisement

I'd disagree, Cork didn't have too much hurling, and showed huge chunks of naivity. Both teams played superb hurling the whole way through, and to say Cork had more hurling would be disrespectful to the Dubs. Ryan missed two easy enough frees as well, which would have made a difference. The sending off was correct, but Rushe's yellow was not, and it did influence the game. Only for the goal, Cork would have struggled to win against 14 men - the goal came from a mistake rather than Cork creating the chance. Commentators mentioned it that Dublin seemed to fight more and were more physical than Cork, which would be a worry, and it did look like that.

First time for a lot of the Cork players to play in Croke park in a game like that, and hopefully will cut out the silly mistakes that nearly cost them.

Stoner wrote: »
    Just about too much hurling, the sending off had a huge part. Fair play to Cork for winning, it was tight and plenty of hurling battles all over the field won and lost on the day.

At least spare Dublin the old standard line of Cork having too much hurling in them, the other line is its great for the GAA, sick of that one too.
    The game today was close very close after the sending off Cork pushed extra men up and got the scores they deserved the win but was plenty of hurling in Dublin, it could have gone the other way, but Cork won well done, I agree that taking the lad off would have been wise but we didn't, that turned out to be a Dublin mistake.
    When it was 15 v 15 Cork didn't have too much hurling for Dublin.
    I'm not talking from Corks win, well done it was deserved just from your comments directly they are IMHO tired and proven to be outdated today. You don't in my book get to win and walk away from the game stating you were too good, Dublin not making a sub had nothing to do with Corks skills.
    Well done again great turn out too.

The comment certainly was not meant in any offence to Dublin.

I call it as i see.Dublin have fantastic hurlers.But cork first touch and movement of the ball was better than dublin,and we were all wristy off the cuff tappy hurlers .

Dublin would be known as a powerful,strong dymamic team,Cork wouldnt be,just more the wristy sort.

Not any disgreard to Dublin,just two different styles.

Dublin had to work and fight harder for the scores,illustrates Cork had a better touch and more hurling.

3 of horgans points he took and scored on the turn,pure instinct.A lot of dublin forwards,coudnt do that but had to work hard and create the scores.

Lehane,had two points,immense skill,touch of the hurley,ball down and a point.Hurling created it.

COnnor Sul intercepted a ball on the run,no hand,all with the hurley and first timed it.Any broken loose ball ,cork flicked it away,or pulled on it.

Dublin always had to put the ball in the hand.Cork mixed it,and that my point had the hurling to do it.

Any dublin score like lehanes.No.

Naivety yes,due to inexpierence was and understandbly evident with cork,but that was poor decison making and panic than a lack of hurling.

The sending off didnt make a difference.The turning point was nash save on o dywer.Cork had it back to two,and Dublin had failed to drive on with the momentum.Cork would have won anyway.

Nashs save was the turning point.

Cork were Never going to physically beat Dublin.We had to compete,which is what we did,worked hard,then relied on our hurling,movement etc.

Cyril farell even yesterday said Cork would win,as they had more hurling,dublin would win if it was tight.

Thats not Cyril dissrespecting Dublin,he is just calling a spade a spade,and Dublin and Cork have totally different style and type of player.

To say otherwise is wide of the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Where will we get tickets?What a win.Atmosphere superb.Dubs will be back.Hon the rebels

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Where will we get tickets?What a win.Atmosphere superb.Dubs will be back.Hon the rebels
    Beg,borrow,...you name it.:-)it be hard to get tickets .I hope all geuine fans get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Beg,borrow,...you name it.:-)it be hard to get tickets .I hope all geuine fans get them.

Any truth to the rumours about Frank Murphy giving you tickets to get you to take the football job??!! :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cork were Never going to physically beat Dublin.We had to compete,which is what we did,worked hard,then relied on our hurling,movement etc.

Cyril farell even yesterday said Cork would win,as they had more hurling,dublin would win if it was tight.

Thats not Cyril dissrespecting Dublin,he is just calling a spade a spade,and Dublin and Cork have totally different style and type of player.

To say otherwise is wide of the mark.

Have you no eyes yourself? can you not reassess a situation. I'm sure you could have written all the better hurlers stuff two weeks ago and closed your eyes to the game.

So according to you when your footballers were beaten it was because of your management teams set up of the players. The cork footballers have plenty of football in them, they were just poorly set up on the day. Dublin won because they were fit or faster but not better footballers, that's the old one there too, if Dublin beat you its because of their fitness, Cork win on skill. That's rubbish and I didn't rub it in last week

I could if I wanted have come on after Dublin won and said , Dublin had too much football for Cork, I didn't, but it would have been more accurate than your comments today.

So you won fair and square, but don't talk about having too much hurling.
    Clearly a man went off and the whole game changed, Dublin didn't change a temperamental player on a yellow, up to that no man could say fairly Cork were out hurling Dublin, too many hurlers for Dublin would be more apt.

Should there have been a second red ? yes, would Rushe have reacted the way he did if it was 15 v 15 ? who knows the first red changed everything, the goal came when cork had an extra attacker.
    Like I said when it was 15 v 15 there was little in it, your surprise that Dublin stood toe to toe because according to you Cork were always going to be better more natural hurlers shows that possibly you read a lot about the game beforehand, but you must not have actually watched the game today because Man for Man Dublin V Cork was a great contest, do you fail to see that the "natural hurling" only came into play when Dublin went a man down? it was up and down up to that.

Once again I'm not saying in any way shape or form that Cork did not deserve to win today, but what I will say is that you are over patronizing your opponents and its old lazy stuff.

I'm not having a pop at you personally, just your comments, I think they need to be reevaluated in light of the match today, and if we have to settle for the better hurlers won, I'll take that only on the basis of the better footballers won last week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

You will have fellas who haven't gone to a game in their lives getting tickets while fellas supporting them throughout the year don't get them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭MfMan

As i called it Mcloughlin got man of the match.He was superb.

Jaaz, from my TV vantage point, I thought he wasn't even related to MOTM. Good first 20 mins but quiet thereafter. Horgan and either of corner-backs were much better, as were Keaney and Sutcliffe for Dublin.

Thinkstoomuch, Nash's save wasn't the turning point - Cork were struggling until O Dwyer got the line. Ryan had just missed a free to put Dublin three points ahead, O Farrell scored a point and O Dywer got the line - that two minutes was the crucial turning point. Nash pointed that free, and instead of being a possible two points ahead, it was level and Dublin a man down. Ryan's free was simple enough, was a poor miss by his standard - and then to go a man down, with Cork levelling. Thats momentum right there handed to Cork and the goal was handed to them as well, poor defending leaving Hoggie run through easily to put pressure on the keeper.

It was a super game of hurling, and to say the better hurlers won would be wrong. There were some great points from Dublin as well, and it was a fantastic game. I think Daly didn't change fast enough tactically after O Dwyer got sent off, having the seven men in defense, and it was surprising that Cork left them, and had two players free in the backline, yet Dublin still reeled off a number of points in response to Cork and drew level three times I think with basically four forwards.

Thinkstoomuch, Nash's save wasn't the turning point - Cork were struggling until O Dwyer got the line. Ryan had just missed a free to put Dublin three points ahead, O Farrell scored a point and O Dywer got the line - that two minutes was the crucial turning point. Nash pointed that free, and instead of being a possible two points ahead, it was level and Dublin a man down. Ryan's free was simple enough, was a poor miss by his standard - and then to go a man down, with Cork levelling. Thats momentum right there handed to Cork and the goal was handed to them as well, poor defending leaving Hoggie run through easily to put pressure on the keeper.

It was a super game of hurling, and to say the better hurlers won would be wrong. There were some great points from Dublin as well, and it was a fantastic game. I think Daly didn't change fast enough tactically after O Dwyer got sent off, having the seven men in defense, and it was surprising that Cork left them, and had two players free in the backline, yet Dublin still reeled off a number of points in response to Cork and drew level three times I think with basically four forwards.

So Dublin beat themselves,and Cork had no part or influence on the win,if the better hurlers didnt win.
    I dissagree.Did cork dominate Dublin physcally,no we did not.

Were cork more expierenced or battle hardened,no we werent.

The simple reason we won was we played the better hurling.You focus a lot on Dublin dos and donts.

Dublin tried to out hurl and go toe to toe with cork in the ist half,and with the wind,were a point down,and very lucky at that,as cork missed also three very handy points and in truth were the better team in the first half.

Dublin when they went defensive as galway proved when they beat us last year,causd us problems,as when you close down our space,were in trouble.

Dublin tried to beat us at our own game,that was a mistake.They should have done what they done against kk.

Nash save,stopped them getting a big lead,that gave cork the belief that they could hang on in their and win the game.

Whether it was 15 against 15,we would have won as we were gaining momentum and scoring easier than dublin.

Stoner,i have nothing but admiration for dublin,but aint going to say something just cause it may please people.

Dublin are a fine side,fantastic hurlers,but today cork had more hurling.We created better scores,better movement and were more fluid up front.

Kearney missed a goal chance ,and horgan missed a handy 45 also.

Cork were guilty of misses too.

I have no problem with my eyes,or what i see.Watch thematch again,how many times did u see,loose breaking ball,that dublin players ,first touch let them down,and cork was superior,or when Dublin tried to get ball to hand,cork flicked or tapped or first timed a ball to a player.

Dublin in the second half played high balls to keaney and it worked,and should have done more of it.

Cork played low accurate,fast ball ,and relied on speed of hand and touch a lot more than dublin.

Its nothing at all against dublin,my view is there like cyril farell said,two different hurling styles,and today cork won simply by the fact we had the better hurling on the day.

In regards to the football,i said dublin were the better team,played with a pure and natural,centre forward and are a fine team.

I crtisced my team and righty so.

I hope ye beat kerry,it will be a very close game.

Just my view on the hurling,and again i have nothing but respect for the dublin hurling,and long may they continue to be a force and be succesful.

MfMan wrote: »
    Jaaz, from my TV vantage point, I thought he wasn't even related to MOTM. Good first 20 mins but quiet thereafter. Horgan and either of corner-backs were much better, as were Keaney and Sutcliffe for Dublin.

You must of had a poor view so.

All those players were sublime,bt mcloughlhn was superb for the 70.

Nowhere in my post did I say that Dublin beat themselves, but the sending off was the turning point and a lot of people would agree with that. Until then it was nearly point for point, and Dublin were ahead by a point, when Nash pointed the free after the sending off. It was not until that point that Cork started gaining some momentum by levelling the game and then sneaking ahead, putting doubts in the Dublin minds. There were a number of good dispossessions by Dublin players of Cork players as well as Cork players on Dublin players, a large number of hooks and little blocks - both sides were extremely skilful. I watched the game more as a neutral than anything else, and I'll watch it again tomorrow, and get you the numbers to back up those facts, but you're the only Cork man I've seen looking through two boards claiming that Cork outhurled Dublin!

You'd want to watch the game again, the last 20 mins Cork bombed high ball into the forwards, showed a little more composure than Dublin in the last ten mins and got an opportunist goal from a high ball flaked into a full back line with four Dublin men and two Corkmen near it. Momentum is a huge thing in sport, and the Ryan miss and O Dwyer sending off was huge, it was the start of Dublin losing composure and Cork in part keeping theirs. Keeping that savage intensity up with 20 mins to go being a man down was always going to be a huge ask, and they nearly did it. Cork were only ahead by a point before Horgan got the goal - if Cork out hurled Dublin like you said they did, a 14 man Dublin shouldn't have only been one point behind with 5 mins to go in the game.

Cork didn't outhurl Dublin, I think Dublin played nearly to their maximum but there is a huge level of improvement that can come from the Cork camp yet, both sides fumbled a lot of ball, but that was down to the intensity of the game. Maguire got unluckly that Horgan was right on top of him when the ball came in, but you have to remember that Nash nearly dropped the ball into his own net at one stage today, and was lucky there was no Dublin player on top of him! It was in the last five mins that there were serious Dublin mistakes, after that goal when they let the heads drop.

Cork got 8 points from frees, Dublin only got 5.

Nowhere in my post did I say that Dublin beat themselves, but the sending off was the turning point and a lot of people would agree with that. Until then it was nearly point for point, and Dublin were ahead by a point, when Nash pointed the free after the sending off. It was not until that point that Cork started gaining some momentum by levelling the game and then sneaking ahead, putting doubts in the Dublin minds. There were a number of good dispossessions by Dublin players of Cork players as well as Cork players on Dublin players, a large number of hooks and little blocks - both sides were extremely skilful. I watched the game more as a neutral than anything else, and I'll watch it again tomorrow, and get you the numbers to back up those facts, but you're the only Cork man I've seen looking through two boards claiming that Cork outhurled Dublin!

You'd want to watch the game again, the last 20 mins Cork bombed high ball into the forwards, showed a little more composure than Dublin in the last ten mins and got an opportunist goal from a high ball flaked into a full back line with four Dublin men and two Corkmen near it. Momentum is a huge thing in sport, and the Ryan miss and O Dwyer sending off was huge, it was the start of Dublin losing composure and Cork in part keeping theirs. Keeping that savage intensity up with 20 mins to go being a man down was always going to be a huge ask, and they nearly did it. Cork were only ahead by a point before Horgan got the goal - if Cork out hurled Dublin like you said they did, a 14 man Dublin shouldn't have only been one point behind with 5 mins to go in the game.

Cork didn't outhurl Dublin, I think Dublin played nearly to their maximum but there is a huge level of improvement that can come from the Cork camp yet, both sides fumbled a lot of ball, but that was down to the intensity of the game. Maguire got unluckly that Horgan was right on top of him when the ball came in, but you have to remember that Nash nearly dropped the ball into his own net at one stage today, and was lucky there was no Dublin player on top of him! It was in the last five mins that there were serious Dublin mistakes, after that goal when they let the heads drop.

Cork got 8 points from frees, Dublin only got 5.

But you seem to be of the view,it was all what dublin dhpd wrong and that they let cork win,than cork actually winning the game,by simply,let call a spade a spade,being the better team on the day.

Games like this are always going to be decided by little things,game of inches etc.

Dublin mistake by maguire was a mistake ,but horgan put him under huge pressure.He is a good goalie but like i said last week,and i was condemed for saying it,not as good as Nash .

Nash nearly made a mistake.But nearly never made i The difference between very good and great.He could have conceded a goal but didnt.

In relation to hurling,take this as an example.Nash has more hurling than Maguire,as he can also take the frees.

Remember 2006,cusack tipping the ball down from the bar to save a certain equalising point,from ken mcgrath to win cork the game by a point.

A game of inches.Cusack had the hurling to do that.

You now agree,that ryans save by nash gave cork momentum.

Thats my point,they couldnt pull away from cork,and dwyer challenge showed their frustration.The sending off did have an influence,but every body agrees cork would have won anyay.

15 minutes without an extra man in not a roasting hot day is not a huge factor like when cork were down a man for a whole half against limerick,in roasting heat,but managed to be within two points with ten to go.

Cork missd three easy scores in the first half,and in truth should have been four up at h time,when both teams played superb hurling.

I suggest you Watch that half again.When it came down to the basic skills,both teams were superb,but cork were better and got more silky scores,where it was first touch,turn and score.Dublin had to work very hard at times.
    I never said dublin were poor,Cork had more hurling in tight aeras when it mattered the most.

Watching it this morning,cyril farell said the same before and at half time during the game.He said dublin would win a close tight dogfight,cork would have more hurling,in an open ,high scoring game.

And thats exactly what happened.
    Agreed cork bombed wasteful high ball in the last quarter,cronin more guilty than others,but cork still hurled with a lot of poise and skill,as seen by Egans pass to harnedy,who with slight movement of hand,delivered a sublime ball to o farell on the turn,who scored a great point from an awful angle.

Dublin went direct in the second half,with balls down on keaney and it worked.

Why did cork win.Simply because we on the day were the better hurlers,marginally ,but it made the difference.

You can say corks goal was soft,the sending off dublin missed frees,etc but no matter what game you play,other teams have their chances to win,but its always the better hurling team on the day wins.

Take 99,cork beat KK by a point.Brian mcecvoy missed four handy points for them.

Seanie mcgrath got three awseome points, one right out in the corner,that to this day,i wonder how it went over.

Why did cork win,cause on the day we had more hurling to take harder scores than KK had that missed four and more easier points and thats why we won.

That year,gilligan missed a twenty one yard free for clare in the munster final,at a crucial stage.Cork won,as on the day ,with some marvellous points from Ben o connor etc,we had more hurling against a truly great clare side.

As you said dublin were out on their feet against us yesterday,they played to their maxium on the day but couldnt win.

Cork have a lot to improve on,but won with such a depleted panel,and we won simply because of our Hurling and we had a game plan that allowed us that freedom to hurl,and dublin did not play to their strengths in the first half.

Cork were always going to win a high scoring game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I remember I said last week I felt Maguire was Nash's equal.

Clearly I was wrong. First time i've seen Nash play in person. He is an incredible goalkeeper. The frees he knocked over were crucial in the end.

• Advertisement

Watch the three minutes around the chance for O Dwyer, I counted three if not four mistakes by Cork players, including one dispossession that shouldn't have happened - off the top of my head from watching it last night, you had Tom Kenny miss the ball midair, Joyce passing the ball directly into the centre and into the hand of a Dublin player, Tom Kenny (I think) pass going astray after a Cork defender had the ball flicked away from him. If you watch the game back, it is obvious that Dublin were starting to get a period of dominance going just before the sending off. They were the ones sneaking in front the whole time, with Cork leveling.

Cork started using the extra man to their advantage in the last ten minutes, but to say that Cork were more skilful that the Dubs is disrespectful to that team. Lighter forwards maybe, but skill wise there was very little difference between the teams. Cork had one or two shows of brilliant skill from individuals, but its a team game. I'd nearly put money on it that there were more blocks and hooks by Dublin players than by Cork players.

Seeing a team go down a man is a psychological boost, seeing the opposition teams free taker miss an easy free - its all about momentum. Until that point, Dublin had it, and were starting to get on top in areas and it was said in commentary as well! Ahead by a point at that stage, and Nash's free drew Cork level. Playing county standard in this day and age, it is those inches that make the difference, and it told at the end for Cork.

Its not always the better team that wins it in the end, and playing a man down, never mind the conditions is a tough ask at county level - Daly's tactic of playing 7 backs and 4 fowards at that stage suited Cork, and Cork coped with it. Was there five points between those teams on the day, no - not if it was 15 v 15 for the full 70 mins - which we won't know about.

Agree to disagree so, your definition of more hurling and more skilful are clearly different to mine

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I remember I said last week I felt Maguire was Nash's equal.

Clearly I was wrong. First time i've seen Nash play in person. He is an incredible goalkeeper. The frees he knocked over were crucial in the end.

The guy has an all star in the bag,and is still just 27.OF all the club games,i have watched Nash,i have never seen him make a mistake.He is very much down to earth,no airs and a graces with him,a guy that waited six years to get he's chance.God is good to those that wait.

To win two all stars in a row is due reward,and with so many top class keepers around is a great feat.

Hes worth an average between frees and saves,five points a game,but is a true leader and future captain of cork.

He is in line with pat horgan ,,connor o sullivan and o neill,verymuch in contention of hurler of the year if Cork win the all ireland.Sum achievement for him.
    We have Darren mccarthy,and young patrick colliins waiting in the wings,every bit as good as Nash.
    And that is no exaggeration in the slightest

Dublin have gems in Sutciffe and Rushe,Kelly and Keaney.

Sutciffe for such a young guy is awesome.,nailed on all all star.

I had said last week,lehane on Hiney would be good for cork.Dublin made a mistake their,but at least they took him off.

Watch the three minutes around the chance for O Dwyer, I counted three if not four mistakes by Cork players, including one dispossession that shouldn't have happened - off the top of my head from watching it last night, you had Tom Kenny miss the ball midair, Joyce passing the ball directly into the centre and into the hand of a Dublin player, Tom Kenny (I think) pass going astray after a Cork defender had the ball flicked away from him. If you watch the game back, it is obvious that Dublin were starting to get a period of dominance going just before the sending off. They were the ones sneaking in front the whole time, with Cork leveling.

Cork started using the extra man to their advantage in the last ten minutes, but to say that Cork were more skilful that the Dubs is disrespectful to that team. Lighter forwards maybe, but skill wise there was very little difference between the teams. Cork had one or two shows of brilliant skill from individuals, but its a team game. I'd nearly put money on it that there were more blocks and hooks by Dublin players than by Cork players.

Seeing a team go down a man is a psychological boost, seeing the opposition teams free taker miss an easy free - its all about momentum. Until that point, Dublin had it, and were starting to get on top in areas and it was said in commentary as well! Ahead by a point at that stage, and Nash's free drew Cork level. Playing county standard in this day and age, it is those inches that make the difference, and it told at the end for Cork.

Its not always the better team that wins it in the end, and playing a man down, never mind the conditions is a tough ask at county level - Daly's tactic of playing 7 backs and 4 fowards at that stage suited Cork, and Cork coped with it. Was there five points between those teams on the day, no - not if it was 15 v 15 for the full 70 mins - which we won't know about.

Agree to disagree so, your definition of more hurling and more skilful are clearly different to mine

And who was doing the commentary Rg 15,duignan and marty ,hardly gospel or men of wisdom in fairness.

Duignan changes course so often,he would want an atlas,and a map to get back on track.

Cyril farell Again, i say,an astute hurling man,said cork would win as they had the craftier skillful hurlers.

Dublins mistake was like you they believed they could outhurl,Cork and that was Never going to happen.

Even when cork are bad,they will out hurl most teams,if itsan open game,off the cuff,fast tempo with loads of space.

If you play a crowded middle third,close down cork ,make them earn the hard yards,they are in trouble.

Kk,cork competed physically with,but Cork did not take them on in an aeraial battle or launch high balls down on their half back line,time and again.Why,as they proved against tipp,you cant beat them at their own game,they mastered for so long.

Cork are masters,at the short,tappy,first touch,use of space and movement that Dublin were never going to outhurl us,which was a fatal mistake.

If they played to their strengths and kept it tight,they could have won as they are more powerful,and dynamic .

Cork would have struggled.

Cork and dublin hurlers are a different breed of player, thats not dissrespect to Dublin,it just a fact.

Cork made mistakest,but to say we didnt play as a team,or put in the same blocks or hooks as dublin is just totally wrong.

How in the name of jesus did cork score 1-21 if we didnt play as a team.

Dont forget cork were more inexpierenced than a dublin team,longer on the road with far more succeses at all levels bar colleges,where ucc,won 3 of the last 5 fitzgibbons cups in hurling.

Dublin have had daly for 5 years,were just two years in under JBM, a much more depleted squad ,and have only played in croke park three times,one in the league,2 in the championship since JBM took over compared to dublin who were playing at home.

So why did cork win?

In a superb game of hurling,cork had slighty more hurling,and out hurled dublin when it mattered.

No ifs,buts or maybees,the better team won on the day.I have the game on a disc,if you need to watch it again,as i suggest you do,as Cork had the better skill on the day.

And this ,is no dissrespect to you personally ,as a fellow rebel and an excellent poster,but i feel you are wrong to say Dublin had the same level of hurling as Cork.

Any truth to the rumours about Frank Murphy giving you tickets to get you to take the football job??!! :pac:
    No i do everything above board,and am slightly controversial,and call a spade a spade,so that rules me out;-)

I've watched a lot of the Dublin games this year, and they had a habit of kicking on in the second half and grinding out the win - happened against Wexford and KK. I've watched snippets of the game back already, I have it on my laptop, but for you to come out and say that Dublin didn't have the same skill as Cork and that Cork outhurled them is disrespectful to Dublin. No one can deny that at the point of the sending off, Dublin were slightly on top and I feared they were about to kick on, had a great chance for a goal, had a free that could have put them three points ahead yet found themselves level and a man down

Watch the game again, count the number of hooks and blocks by both teams and then come back to me

I've had time to watch the first 20 mins of the game - hook is obvious, I defined a flick as when a man should have taken possession but the ball was taken away by an opposition team member.

Dublin Hooks/flicks - 7 (was 2 away from Cork players, but resulted in the ball falling to a Cork player, did not include them) blocks -4
    Cork hooks/flicks - 4, blocks 3

Dublin forced two turnovers, Cork 1, Cork had 1 unforced turnover in that period of time as well.

I'll do the rest of the game when I get a chance and do the same.

Last five mins when the goal went in, and when Cork finally changed to having the extra man pushed up into the forward line

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Nash nearly made a mistake.But nearly never made i The difference between very good and great.He could have conceded a goal but didnt.

In relation to hurling,take this as an example.Nash has more hurling than Maguire,as he can also take the frees.

If a Dublin forward challenged Nash in similar fashion to Horgan, a goal would have more than likely been conceded.

Also while i agree that Nash is a better keeper, being able to take frees is not an indication that he is a better hurler.
    Thats my point,they couldnt pull away from cork,and dwyer challenge showed their frustration.The sending off did have an influence,but every body agrees cork would have won anyay.

Honestly can not understand how you can say that Cork would have won anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭bren2001

I don't agree. Imo Cork had their chance to pull away in the first half but couldn't and Dublin just about hung in. Giving Rushe more space by bringing players back was working from Dublin. I felt (at the point of the red card) Dublin were about to take off. I think Dublin would have won the game if ROD was not sent off.

I've watched a lot of the Dublin games this year, and they had a habit of kicking on in the second half and grinding out the win - happened against Wexford and KK. I've watched snippets of the game back already, I have it on my laptop, but for you to come out and say that Dublin didn't have the same skill as Cork and that Cork outhurled them is disrespectful to Dublin. No one can deny that at the point of the sending off, Dublin were slightly on top and I feared they were about to kick on, had a great chance for a goal, had a free that could have put them three points ahead yet found themselves level and a man down

Watch the game again, count the number of hooks and blocks by both teams and then come back to me

I've had time to watch the first 20 mins of the game - hook is obvious, I defined a flick as when a man should have taken possession but the ball was taken away by an opposition team member.

Dublin Hooks/flicks - 7 (was 2 away from Cork players, but resulted in the ball falling to a Cork player, did not include them) blocks -4
    Cork hooks/flicks - 4, blocks 3

Dublin forced two turnovers, Cork 1, Cork had 1 unforced turnover in that period of time as well.

I'll do the rest of the game when I get a chance and do the same.

Last five mins when the goal went in, and when Cork finally changed to having the extra man pushed up into the forward line

I have the game burned on a Cd,and watched it again.

To say cork woudnt have won,with 15,and all this talk about dublin,what they didnt do and if s and buts etc,is dissrespectful to Cork,who Against all the odds fully deserved their win,we were simply better hurlers.

You said you didnt c anyone with my views.Cyril farell aint a cork man,but shared the same views as myself.

At least two of corks scores came from frees by nash that cork forwards had turned over due to immense pressure.

Dublin had thrown everything at Cork but coudnt pull away.Cork would have won anway.

All the ifs and maybees out of people is amusing.

If maguire didnt make the mistake,or if nash was challenged etc.
    Fact is Nash is better than maguire,could have been tackled by ten players,and would still have recovered.

If cusack didnt pull down ken mcgraths late free,if niall mac and gardiner hadnt missed scorable points in 03,we would have won.

Fact is,we didnt deserve it in 03,as kilkenny were better and performed the skills of the game better than us,we done the same to dublin yesterday.

All the papers today agree the better team one.If dublin had better hurling than us,they would not have gone in a h time a point down ,and lucky it wasnt more.

We could argue dublin goal was soft.If mcdonnell had stood hes ground ,tracey wouldnt have goaled.

We took our chances and horgans goal was sublime timing.
    We had a cutting edge,they had not.

bren2001 wrote: »
    I don't agree. Imo Cork had their chance to pull away in the first half but couldn't and Dublin just about hung in. Giving Rushe more space by bringing players back was working from Dublin. I felt (at the point of the red card) Dublin were about to take off. I think Dublin would have won the game if ROD was not sent off.

Not a hope .Even Humphrey kelleher said Cork would have won anway,and blamed dublins tactis and rightly so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭MfMan

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    There are two Irishmen who I can recall that are known by their initials. Plenty of imposters but one is George Bernard Shaw GBS and then there is Jmb. Do I need to say any more. Well done Cork on a great win that was memorable to watch. You beat a very good team so again well done.

CJH. WBY. G-Mac. Who's Jmb?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement