Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

bren2001 wrote: »
    I don't agree. Imo Cork had their chance to pull away in the first half but couldn't and Dublin just about hung in. Giving Rushe more space by bringing players back was working from Dublin. I felt (at the point of the red card) Dublin were about to take off. I think Dublin would have won the game if ROD was not sent off.
    I too think Dublin were just starting to get on top, just before the sending off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Indie. wrote: »
    If a Dublin forward challenged Nash in similar fashion to Horgan, a goal would have more than likely been conceded.

Also while i agree that Nash is a better keeper, being able to take frees is not an indication that he is a better hurler.

Honestly can not understand how you can say that Cork would have won anyway.

Accuracy,good ball control,temperament usually defines a hurler,and free takers have it in abundance.

Ye make it sound like we robbed dublin.We won,by on the day,being better.
    Plain and simple.

I have seen nash bundled and tackled by three players,with kanturk and survived.

Great goalies,make mistakes but recover in time.Nash is that,in line for hurler of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Accuracy,good ball control,temperament usually defines a hurler,and free takers have it in abundance.

Ye make it sound like we robbed dublin.We won,by on the day,being better.
    Plain and simple.

I have seen nash bundled and tackled by three players,with kanturk and survived.

Great goalies,make mistakes but recover in time.Nash is that,in line for hurler of the year.

Maguire doesnt get the opportunity to take free's as they have two good takers in Boland and Ryan who between them are usually decent long range free takers. Hard to compare the two in that respect.

Show me where I said Dublin were robbed? Cork won the game fair and square but to say Cork would have won regardless of the sending off is just an idiotic and pointless comment to make.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'm not going to argue anymore, I still cannot believe that you think Cork would have won anyway if it was 15v15, it would have been very tight. You have constantly dismissed the skillfulness shown by Dublin, which actually makes the Cork win all the better, your posts are hugely disrespectful to a super Dublin team who gave it everything and smacks of arrogance about being from Cork but the game was influenced by the sending off, there is no denying that. Having Rushe the free man made a huge difference to Dublin in the second half, and Cork had not adapted to the 7 man back line, which was starting to work for Dublin, and they went two in front, and looked like they were pushing on before the sending off. Its like Limerick man saying that Hoggie's sending off made no difference to the game - as you said yourself, its inches that seperate teams, and being a man down is a huge disadvantage especially when the tactic that Dublin were using needed the extra man in the backs, something that they would have worked on, and was working on the game.

It wasn't robbery, but there wasn't five points between those teams really in the quality of play.

Maguire doesnt get the opportunity to take free's as they have two good takers in Boland and Ryan who between them are usually decent long range free takers. Hard to compare the two in that respect.

Show me where I said Dublin were robbed? Cork won the game fair and square but to say Cork would have won regardless of the sending off is just an idiotic and pointless comment to make.
    a touch of irony here.
    The way people are talking,its how dublin lost the game,rather than Cork won it,which is wrong.
    Cork won,fair and square,but to say we would have won despite the sending off is pointless.

That in your own words with the greatest respect mate,is idiotic.

Dublin had their chances ,didnt take them.Tippeareary beat Cork with 14,in a similar situation last year.

It was not as hot in croke park as limerick,and 15 minutes wasnt a huge time to be down a man.

And Humprey Kelleher a dublin man,in case you don't know,and Mark landers,said Cork would have won anyway.

So im not alone in my 'idocay'.You may think its birds of a feather flock together with us three.

I would think great minds think alike.

• Advertisement

a touch of irony here.
    The way people are talking,its how dublin lost the game,rather than Cork won it,which is wrong.
    Cork won,fair and square,but to say we would have won despite the sending off is pointless.

That in your own words with the greatest respect mate,is idiotic.

Dublin had their chances ,didnt take them.Tippeareary beat Cork with 14,in a similar situation last year.

It was not as hot in croke park as limerick,and 15 minutes wasnt a huge time to be down a man.

And Humprey Kelleher a dublin man,in case you don't know,and Mark landers,said Cork would have won anyway.

So im not alone in my 'idocay'.You may think its birds of a feather flock together with us three.

I would think great minds think alike.

I really dont understand the first 3 sentences of your last post. You came to the conclusion that Cork would have won regardless of the sending off. Yes Cork could have won if it was 15 v 15, no one is doubting that. But to say they would have definitely won in a 50/50 game does not make any sense. Its a pointless argument to make.

With regards to your last point I am living abroad so have not seen the qoutes in question. In saying that 3 opinions hardly reflects the consensus of the wider hurling community.

I'm not going to argue anymore, I still cannot believe that you think Cork would have won anyway if it was 15v15, it would have been very tight. You have constantly dismissed the skillfulness shown by Dublin, which actually makes the Cork win all the better, your posts are hugely disrespectful to a super Dublin team who gave it everything and smacks of arrogance about being from Cork but the game was influenced by the sending off, there is no denying that. Having Rushe the free man made a huge difference to Dublin in the second half, and Cork had not adapted to the 7 man back line, which was starting to work for Dublin, and they went two in front, and looked like they were pushing on before the sending off. Its like Limerick man saying that Hoggie's sending off made no difference to the game - as you said yourself, its inches that seperate teams, and being a man down is a huge disadvantage especially when the tactic that Dublin were using needed the extra man in the backs, something that they would have worked on, and was working on the game.

It wasn't robbery, but there wasn't five points between those teams really in the quality of play.
    Did i ever say they was five point better.My point is cork won ,as had better hurling.Thats not me saying Dublin are poor ,or a bad team.I said they have fantastic hurlers.

Just,cork on the day had more hurling.

Big difference,lets be clear,between 35 minutes down in 27 degrees a man and 15 minutes in 20 degrees.

If anything the fact,Cork away from home,stayed with limerick for 25 mins,with a depleted squad,means if Dublin were Good enough,they should have still won at home,with a stronger bench than cork.

Every post i said here,and on the other thread,ihave been respectful todublin and admire them.
    What i simply said ,was on the day,Corks hurling won it for them,just like mark landers and other pundits said .

To label me as disrespectful to Dublin,is unfair ,and i could easily say people are being dissrespect to cork,by saying dublin would have won with 15.

Even daly said,that he had no excuses,while aggrieved at the ref,said the BETTER TEAM WON.

As the great Bill o Herihly said 'we will leave it there ,shall we.
    We will agree to disagree.

I really dont understand the first 3 sentences of your last post. You came to the conclusion that Cork would have won regardless of the sending off. Yes Cork could have won if it was 15 v 15, no one is doubting that. But to say they would have definitely won in a 50/50 game does not make any sense. Its a pointless argument to make.

With regards to your last point I am living abroad so have not seen the qoutes in question. In saying that 3 opinions hardly reflects the consensus of the wider hurling community.
    fair enough,and i geuinely hope you make it back in 4 weeks for the final.

3 opinions as you say is not gospel,but on the same token to label my view as idotic,with all due respect is a bit much.

And those 2 people are widely accepted as wise hurling men.

fair enough,and i geuinely hope you make it back in 4 weeks for the final.

3 opinions as you say is not gospel,but on the same token to label my view as idotic,with all due respect is a bit much.

Yes idiotic was a poor choice of words.

Yes idiotic was a poor choice of words.
    No bother,were all corkonians at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Freejin

any idea are club championship games going ahead this weekend??

Freejin wrote: »
    any idea are club championship games going ahead this weekend??
    Yeah all as scheduled.

Six of cork junior players had ipods,watches,phones,wallets,boots ,clothes and passports stolen in lancahsire yesterday in their dressing room during their game.

Cork play Kildare,in the All Ireland Junior final,Saturday the 24th of August,a repeat of the final 3 years ago.

Friday August 16th
    @ Kilmichael P.I.F.C. Bantry Blues v Clyda Rovers 7.00pm
    @ Charleville I.F.C. Ballydesmond v Kildorrery 7.00pm
    @ Cloughdubh J'B'H.C. Semi Final Ballinacurra v O'Donovan Rossa 7.15pm
    Saturday August 17th
    @ Pairc Ui Rinn S.H.C. St Finbarrs v Ballymartle 6.00pm
    @ Pairc Ui Rinn S.H.C. Na Piarsaigh v Courcey Rovers 7.45pm
    @ Fermoy S.H.C. Newtownshandrum v Douglas 6.30pm
    @ Fermoy P.I.H.C. Mallow v Watergrasshill 4.45pm
    @ Dunmanway P.I.F.C. Q.F. Castletownbere v Macroom 7.00pm
    @ Milford I.H.C. Charleville v Kanturk 6.30pm
    @ Dromtariffe I.F.C. QF Rockchapel v Eire Og 7.00pm
    @ Mayfield I.F.C QF Aghabullogue v Youghal 3.30pm
    @ Blarney I.F.C. Glanworth v Cill na Martra 7.00pm
    @ Carrigaline P.I.F.C. St Michael's v Valley Rovers 7.00pm

Sunday August 18th
    @ Pairc Uí Chaoímh S.H.C. Midleton v Bride Rovers 2.30pm.
    @ Pairc Uí Chaoímh S.H.C. Glen Rovers v Erins Own 4.15pm
    @ Pairc Uí Rinn S.H.C. Sarsfields v U.C.C. 6.15pm
    @ Pairc Uí Rinn S.F.C. Bishopstown v C.I.T. 8.00pm
    @ Ballinaspittle P.I.H.C. Replay Bandon v Tracton 2.00pm ET
    @ Killavullen, I.F.C. Grenagh v Fermoy 3.30pm

Saturday August 24th
    All Ireland Junior Football C'ship Final
    @ Pairc Uí Rinn, U21'A'F.C. Final Clonakilty v Valley Rovers 7.30pm
    @ Ballynoe I.H.C. Fr O'Neill's v Fermoy 6.30pm
    @ Glanworth J ‘B'F.C. Replay Araglen v Charleville 6.30pm ET

Sunday August 25th
    @ Pairc Uí Chaoímh S.H.C. Blackrock v Ballymartle/St Finbarrs 2.30pm
    @ Macroom S.F.C Replay Dohenys v Douglas, 3.30pm ET
    @ Midleton, P.I.H.C. Replay, Youghal v Cloyne 3.30pm ET
    @ Carrigadrohid P.I.F.C. Mallow v Beal Atha an Ghaorthaidh 3.30pm
    @ TBC P.I.F.C QF Bantry Blues/Clyda Rovers v Glenville

*The following games are subject to change depending on Cork involvement

W/E Aug. 30/Aug. 31st/Sept.1st
    ¼ Finals Senior, Premier Intermediate & Intermediate Hurling C'ships
    @ Pairc Uí Chaoímh S.H.C. St Finbarrs/Ballymartle/Blackrock v Newtownshandrum/Douglas
    @ Pairc Uí Chaoímh S.H.C. Sarsfields/U.C.C. v Killeagh
    @ Pairc Uí Chaoímh S.H.C. Bishopstown/Carrigtwohill v Midleton/Bride Rovers
    @ Pairc Uí Chaoímh S.H.C. Glen Rovers/Erins Own v Na Piarsaigh/Courcey Rovers
    @ TBC P.I.H.C. QF Newcestown v Castlelyons
    @ Riverstown, I.H.C. QF Aghada v Eire Óg
    @ Pairc Uí Rinn P.I.H.C. QF Inniscarra v Kilworth
    @ Pairc Uí Rinn P.I.H.C. QF Cloyne/Youghal v Tracton/Bandon
    @ Pairc Uí Rinn or Castletownroche, P.I.H.C. QF Kilbrittain v Mallow/Watergrasshill
    @ Mallow P.I.F.C QF St. Michael's/Valley Rovers v Kiskeam
    @ Mourneabbey or Cloghdubh P.I.F.C QF Nemo Rangers v Mallow/B. Atha'n Ghaorthaidh
    @ Kilbrin I.H.C. QF Meelin v Charleville/Kanturk
    @ Ballyhea I.H.C. QF Milford v Fr O'Neill's/Fermoy
    @ Kilworth or Pairc Uí Rinn I.H.C. QF St Catherines/Kildorrery v Barryroe
    @Pairc Uí Rinn, J.'B'H.C. Final, Ballyclough v Ballinacurra/O'Donovan Rossa
    @ Pairc Uí Rinn, J.'B' F.C. Final, Ballinacurra v Charleville/Araglen

Saturday September 7th
    Inter Divisional Fe 21 Á'& ‘B'' Hurling Championships - Round 1
    Inter Divisional Junior ‘A' Hurling + Football Championships - Round 1
    Sunday September 8th
    All Ireland Senior and Minor Hurling C'ship Finals

W/E September 14th/15th
    Semi-Finals Senior, Premier Intermediate & Intermediate Football C'ships

Saturday September 14th
    All Ireland Fe 21 Hurling C'ship Final

Sunday September 22nd
    All Ireland Senior and Minor Football C'ship Finals

W/E September 28th/29th
    Semi-Finals Senior, Premier Intermediate & Intermediate Hurling C'ships

Sunday October 6th
    Senior & Premier Intermediate Football C'ship Finals

Sunday October 13th
    Intermediate Hurling & Football C'ship Finals

Sunday October 20th
    Senior & Premier Intermediate Hurling C'ship Finals

Sunday October 27th
    Fe 21 Á'& ‘B'Hurling C'ship Finals

Notes:
    (A) Dates may be adjusted consequent on Inter-County Teams' Progress
    (B) Extra-time shall be played in the event of a Draw in the following -
    (a) Rounds 1, 2 and 3 of Club Senior, Premier Intermediate, Intermediate
    Hurling & Football Championships.
    (b) Rounds 1, 2 and 3 Divisional/Colleges Sections of Senior Hurling and Football Championships
    (c) Preliminary Rounds 1 & 2 and Rounds 1 & 2 County Junior 'B' Hurling
    (d) Preliminary Rounds 1 & 2 and Rounds 1, 2 & 3 County Junior ‘B' Football

Extra-time may also be played in other Rounds on decision of C.C.C.
    where a Game(s) in a Round is (are) delayed.
    (C) Replays - Shall be played within a week of a Drawn Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Six of cork junior players had ipods,watches,phones,wallets,boots ,clothes and passports stolen in lancahsire yesterday in their dressing room during their game.

Christ do they have anyone minding or watching dressing rooms while players are out on field?

They play club games this wknd,but there is no game involving any cork player the week after.

The next games are due on the weekend before the all ireland.I'd say those games wont go ahead.

Get through this weekend ,and a full three weeks then for the final.

Its good to have games this wknd,as at least have 3 weeks if any injuries occur .

More so than the rest ,we need a fully fit panel for the 8th as unlike the rest we dont have majior strength in depth.

A county ravaged by bad luck with injuries,hopefully we will be blessed with good luck for the next few wks.

Barry kelly,James Mcgrath and Brian gavin are meant to be front runners for the Referee for the final.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Christ do they have anyone minding or watching dressing rooms while players are out on field?
    Its the naive old age Paddy culture that exists in GAA,AH sure were in the country ,no one would steal their.
    It happens in Ireland too.
    It happened in Murroe Burroher in limerick,and i think it happend in cork two recently enough.
    its happening all over the Country.

The gaa need to wake up,smell the cofee,these are desperate times in ireland,and desperate people do desperate things.

They most protect their players.Every dressing room should be padlocked,when the last player leaves the dressing room,and at big matches security may be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Man I am still buzzing after Sunday:D:D

Man I am still buzzing after Sunday:D:D

Twas superb...sum high in fairness,with a limited panel torn by injuries,and missing guys from last year,with the only majior success at underage being ten have won fitzgibbon cup medals,to take part in a classic game of hurling,against a truly excellent Dublin team,but for Our superior hurling to slighty beat them was stuff of dreams.

26 days to the final,the buzz,the atmsophere.the anxiety even,the scramble for tickets,the build up in the papers,Up For the Final the ngt before on tv,all the rebel songs on the radio during the build up week,and all the talk about the FINAL will be from the first time u wake up in the morning to the last thing before you go to bed at night will be certainly something to treasure and live every moment.

Its great to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Friday August 16th
    @ Dunmanway P.I.F.C. Q.F. Castletownbere v Macroom 7.00pm
    @ Carrigaline P.I.F.C. St Michael's v Valley Rovers 7.00pm

I know that these two games are on Saturday the 17th rather than the Friday.

Link here

D'Agger wrote: »
    I know that these two games are on Saturday the 17th rather than the Friday.

Link here
    sound

We have no hurling players involved in those two,so wnt make a huge difference.

Twas superb...sum high in fairness,with a limited panel torn by injuries,and missing guys from last year,with the only majior success at underage being ten have won fitzgibbon cup medals,to take part in a classic game of hurling,against a truly excellent Dublin team,but for Our superior hurling to slighty beat them was stuff of dreams.

26 days to the final,the buzz,the atmsophere.the anxiety even,the scramble for tickets,the build up in the papers,Up For the Final the ngt before on tv,all the rebel songs on the radio during the build up week,and all the talk about the FINAL will be from the first time u wake up in the morning to the last thing before you go to bed at night will be certainly something to treasure and live every moment.

Its great to be there.

It reminds me of 2003 again but Kilkenny are not there this time and any of the teams left can win it IMO. I will be in the States for the final.

Its great to be there.

Great to see Cork hurling well again, we have being waiting too long for this day. Some lovely stickwork the last day by Cork.

Great to see Cork hurling well again, we have being waiting too long for this day. Some liveoy stickwork the last day by Cork.
    Too long,this year shoudnt hide the problems in Cork but it will.

Diarmuid O Donovan like i said in may is cut from the same cloth as the CCB and nothing will change.He was intereviewed in a sunday newspaper,and said Cork have been slow to change,but the work has now gone in,but people dont realise that were such a large county,the problems we have,and it will take time.
    The same old worn out excuses.Blame everything,rather than look closer to home.

Who are their trying to kid.Dublin is as big as us,but they have made great improvements the last six years,where they built from rock bottom and against tradition.

We have the tradition and the foundations,we invested more and put the right men in charge at underage and not yes men,we would be flying in half thaj time.

The dublin county boards unites with their clubs,or board dicates to our clubs.

We wouldnt even need that much money invested,and funnily enough,success would more than pay for it down the line.

Our brains at the top table cant c that though.

We are in a great place to be in the final,but if even if we win,people must not think we will win 3 in a row etc.

This team wont and we will need serious additions next year ,just to compete,but at least we have a base and the expierence of this year will stand to us.

If we had Sweetnaham,cadogan,walsh ,and paudie ,to this panel,Jesus we'd be sum force of nature in fairness.

We have paudie next year,we should go for walsh,and cadogan again .

Great to see Cork hurling well again, we have being waiting too long for this day. Some liveoy stickwork the last day by Cork.
    Indeed...i think we had a little bit more hurling than dublin.

Indeed...i think we had a little bit more hurling than dublin.

We had that bit more class but Dublin gave us a great game and hopefully will stand to us in final.

We had that bit more class but Dublin gave us a great game and hopefully will stand to us in final.
    I agree,i was accused of being dissrespectful for saying Cork had more hurling than dublin yesterday and that i was the only person who saw it that way.
    I was not at all,just calling it as i saw it.

I wasnt alone,and like many have said before and after the game,Corks hurling won the day.

I agree,i was accused of being dissrespectful for saying Cork had more hurling than dublin yesterday and that i was the only person who saw it that way.

I wasnt alone,and like many have said before and after the game,Corks hurling won the day.

Dublin brought great intensity to the match but all the main clips of skill came from Cork. Horgans two points with limited space, his flick for the goal, lehanes control of ball with hurley and his point and the point he got where he fell in the square and picked the ball up while on the ground, got up, went to the side and scored a beauty of a point. The only clips of raw skill i remember from Dublin are Keaneys two catchs and the points he scored.

• Advertisement

Dublin brought great intensity to the match but all the main clips of skill came from Cork. Horgans two points with limited space, his flick for the goal, lehanes control of ball with hurley and his point and the point he got where he fell in the square and picked the ball up while on the ground, got up, went to the side and scored a beauty of a point. The only clips of raw skill i remember from Dublin are Keaneys two catchs and the points he scored.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement