Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya looking back at the game again, Cork were the better team alright.

Game is 70 minutes and not 35 or 15 minutes.

The sending off did not cost Dublin 5 points or more.

Roll on the final now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Amprodude wrote: »
    Dublin brought great intensity to the match but all the main clips of skill came from Cork. Horgans two points with limited space, his flick for the goal, lehanes control of ball with hurley and his point and the point he got where he fell in the square and picked the ball up while on the ground, got up, went to the side and scored a beauty of a point. The only clips of raw skill i remember from Dublin are Keaneys two catchs and the points he scored.
    absoultey agree.

And again Dublin are a superb team,but corks skill,movement,wristy off the cuff hurling was superior to dublin.

Corks speeds of hurling was faster,and slicker,and cork scores made it look easy at times such was the skill.

Dublin were foolish to go toe to toe and man for man,thinking they could out hurl cork at corks games.

They would have been better playing the way they beat kilkenny and could have beaten us then.You play to your strengths.

Ya looking back at the game again, Cork were the better team alright.

Game is 70 minutes and not 35 or 15 minutes.

The sending off did not cost Dublin 5 points or more.

Roll on the final now.
    I knew i wasnt the only one that saw cork had the better hurling.

I felt like a one man show yesterday,trying and rightly so defending my point,the better team hurling wise won.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Brian Gavin to referee the final

This success will paper over the cracks yet again, those f**king mushrooms hard at work rubbish being spouted again. Cork used that extra man well at times and very poorly at other times, were put under huge pressure with six backs against four forwards, and Dublin simply ran out of steam in the last five mins, when Cork finally pulled away. Biggest example of that is the Dublin player that failed to control the sliotar with about two mins to go, sideline ball to Cork - thats tiredness, and it comes from savage workrate because of being a man down. Being a man down didn't really show until the last five mins, and JBM would be fairly concerned about the fact Cork didn't use the extra man as well as they could, lot of high ball just cleared into a forward line that wasn't being won - I'd be concerned that despite being down to 14, Cork were still pegged back to only being a point ahead until a fortunate goal that came from great skill by Horgan/mistake by Dublin backs that Horgan capitalised on.

With the greatest respect in the world too many people are floating on a high after the game, which is fantastic for supporters who have been on a long journey but can't see things in the cold light of day. I think the experience in Croke Park will stand immensely, but I'd be concerned that Cork were not put to the absolute pin of their collar yet again, quarter final and semi final ending against 14 men, and no one can say that playing against 14 men is not easier than playing against 15. Dublin throught everything at them with 14 men. Having been invovled at intercounty level, thats coming from experience rather than just viewing the game as a supporter.

Its a case of same rubbish, different year, except this year the hurlers managed to get some success - still doesn't excuse what is going on at underage or at club level, where everything starts, or the fact that the Cork footballers were mismanaged and the wrong man put at the helm. Its a huge case of whoop dee doo, pats on the back all round yet change that was promised hasn't come, too many people in Cork with huge mouths and little action - and this success won't be used properly to change things.

Dublin have been a big huge example for Cork, but its a case of sure aren't the mushrooms grand - too many people will be happy with just getting to the AI final, when for the size of Cork and the pick of players that are possible, its the least that should be expected every year. Cork have no divine right to it, but the footballers seriously underacheived in the last number of years, hasn't been good enough structures for hurling in the county for players at under 13/14 level, things that have only started in the last two years.

I'm going to stay off this thread a while, its fantastic Cork are back in an AI hurling final, but its the minimum that should be expected if the right structures were put in place, faster people realise this, the better! Individual brilliant skill is on a par with mastery of basic skills like hooking and blocking - both sides had it in abundance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

I knew i wasnt the only one that saw cork had the better hurling.

I felt like a one man show yesterday,trying and rightly so defending my point,the better team hurling wise won.

The better team won on Sunday when Cork played 14 man Dublin.

But when Limerick beat a 14 man cork by a bigger margin with a more dominant display you claim Cork were the better side

You are looking through very red tinted glassed I think.

Based on your arguments Cork are a one man team and if Pat Horgan can be stopped playing cork are very easily beaten.

Clare or Limerick will have no fear of a young Cork side.

• Advertisement

Brian Gavin to referee the final

This success will paper over the cracks yet again, those f**king mushrooms hard at work rubbish being spouted again. Cork used that extra man well at times and very poorly at other times, were put under huge pressure with six backs against four forwards, and Dublin simply ran out of steam in the last five mins, when Cork finally pulled away. Biggest example of that is the Dublin player that failed to control the sliotar with about two mins to go, sideline ball to Cork - thats tiredness, and it comes from savage workrate because of being a man down. Being a man down didn't really show until the last five mins, and JBM would be fairly concerned about the fact Cork didn't use the extra man as well as they could, lot of high ball just cleared into a forward line that wasn't being won - I'd be concerned that despite being down to 14, Cork were still pegged back to only being a point ahead until a fortunate goal that came from great skill by Horgan/mistake by Dublin backs that Horgan capitalised on.

With the greatest respect in the world too many people are floating on a high after the game, which is fantastic for supporters who have been on a long journey but can't see things in the cold light of day. I think the experience in Croke Park will stand immensely, but I'd be concerned that Cork were not put to the absolute pin of their collar yet again, quarter final and semi final ending against 14 men, and no one can say that playing against 14 men is not easier than playing against 15. Dublin throught everything at them with 14 men. Having been invovled at intercounty level, thats coming from experience rather than just viewing the game as a supporter.

Its a case of same rubbish, different year, except this year the hurlers managed to get some success - still doesn't excuse what is going on at underage or at club level, where everything starts, or the fact that the Cork footballers were mismanaged and the wrong man put at the helm. Its a huge case of whoop dee doo, pats on the back all round yet change that was promised hasn't come, too many people in Cork with huge mouths and little action - and this success won't be used properly to change things.

Dublin have been a big huge example for Cork, but its a case of sure aren't the mushrooms grand - too many people will be happy with just getting to the AI final, when for the size of Cork and the pick of players that are possible, its the least that should be expected every year. Cork have no divine right to it, but the footballers seriously underacheived in the last number of years, hasn't been good enough structures for hurling in the county for players at under 13/14 level, things that have only started in the last two years.

I'm going to stay off this thread a while, its fantastic Cork are back in an AI hurling final, but its the minimum that should be expected if the right structures were put in place, faster people realise this, the better! Individual brilliant skill is on a par with mastery of basic skills like hooking and blocking - both sides had it in abundance
    I hope you continue to post here,it be poorer without you.

I totally agree with what you say about the mushrooms and it will paper over the cracks
    To be fair,you will agree im not one of those and have been saying what you have been saying since january.

Im never happy to get to just a final,but considering the injuries,absentees and a county board that pulls the oppoiste way,its a huge achievement to get to the final for this team,and like always support the team through thick and thin.

Ive been to many minor and u21 games where i clearly said here,cork would loose,but went in suppost of the players,and the jersey they represent,and all before and after them.

Same with the football,when i knew we be beaten.

I will support cork teams through thick and thin,like i have in the past and will do in the future.

Doesnt mean i support the Board.Blood is thicker than water,and cork blood runs through every vein of my body.

slegs wrote: »
    The better team won on Sunday when Cork played 14 man Dublin.

But when Limerick beat a 14 man cork by a bigger margin with a more dominant display you claim Cork were the better side

You are looking through very red tinted glassed I think.

Based on your arguments Cork are a one man team and if Pat Horgan can be stopped playing cork are very easily beaten.

Clare or Limerick will have no fear of a young Cork side.
    What are clare?
    A young side,dont forget.

I never mentioned clare,but i said before i fear clare and they would be more of a threat to us than limerick.

Ten different scorers sunday ,hardly a one man team.

But Horgan is our most expierenced forward,top scorer,and every team has a star man,it doesnt mean were a one man team.

Hannon,ye would miss ,just like cork as he is a top player.

You are way off,to say cork are a one man team,but any team would miss a player like horgan.

You fail to address ye struggled for an hour.you see what you want to see.Theres a big difference to Cork ,down a man for 35,minutes with an already limited injury torn panel,in 27 degrees,away from home ,than being down a man with 15 min to go,2o degrees heat ,at home,with a stronger bench.

Cork missed chances fair point,but we totally controlled limerick up to the sending off.Would the result have been different?we dont know.
    Thats the point limerick cant really take much from that game.People here say,cork struggled to beat Dublin with 14,,and Dublin ran out of steam..

Limerick had a full half ,with the extra man,yet Cork ran out of steam,but all they focused on was our bad play,and the we folded apparatently.

Limerick,would do very well to take the cork game at face value ,and not believe the hype that their being build up to be.

Did dublin totally control cork up to that point,no they didnt.

Ye havent beaten clare yet,and will do well to win.

Sunday will reveal all.

In relation to Brian Gavin ,referee for the final,im not bothered as at leastJames Mcgrath didnt get it.
    Barry kelly had a fine year and must of ran him close.-

He done one final before in 2011.

He has done 8 games with Cork and we have lost six,drawn one, won one.

All those games we were beaten by the better teams,and he didnt influence them at all.
    The only game that was controversial,was 2007,against waterford when cusack was wrongly penalised for a free with time nearly up that drew the game.
    You couldnt say though that waterford were not the better team in the replay,simply they were much better and hurled us of the field.

However waterford to be fair could and rightly so argue ,they didnt get any calls in 2006,when we won in croke park.

I dont think cork will mind him.Discipline is the key,as shown in cork v tipp last year,he will show red if he needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

This may have been seen by everyone already but here is a great article on Cork's fitness preparations for their running game.Its about how JBM wanted this specific style

An Interesting part among many is
    “A guy - Seán O’Donnell - does our video analysis and stats and he comes up with some savage stats. There’s a point where if a tackle rate drops below a specific point we struggle. It’s important the intensity stays constant. It’s important the players believe that they have it in the tank in order to do it. If you have a question over your fitness, human nature, being as it is, you might say, ‘Sure, I could blow up after 60 minutes so I have to save a bit’.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Sean Hayes from Nemo is the Cork U21 football manager for 2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Amprodude wrote: »
    Dublin brought great intensity to the match but all the main clips of skill came from Cork. Horgans two points with limited space, his flick for the goal, lehanes control of ball with hurley and his point and the point he got where he fell in the square and picked the ball up while on the ground, got up, went to the side and scored a beauty of a point. The only clips of raw skill i remember from Dublin are Keaneys two catchs and the points he scored.

Danny Sutcliffes point where from under the Cusack Stand where he was going out, turned to the sideline and lost his man, then floated it over from just outside the 21 was as good a piece of skill as anything Cork produced.
    In fact Sutcliffe scored some class points. Ryan O Dwyer's catches were also top class.

It takes two outstanding teams to produce a game of the calibre that last Sunday served up, not just one skillful team and the other with intensity.

Could be far worse.
    He aint the worst,done very good with youghal and nemo.
    He is fairly old,but it makes no difference,as many managers,proved once hes fresh in mind.

Billy morgan wanted the job i believe but overlooked.That would be my concern.
    Id say that rubbers stamps Cuthbert for the senior job.He would have got the u21 job otherwise.
    No news of the hurling yet.

By all accounts,kenneally will stay.

I have nothing against waterford but i was hoping they would be beaten by KK, and i hope they dont win the final.Normally id love to see them win a minor.

The only reason is,kenneally will piggy back on that success,and spout rubbish on how hes team ran waterford the all ireland champions to extra time and cork are not far off etc,when truth be told Cork should really have been beaten by more,and waterford were much better,and the ref was truly awful to them,and gave cork soft calls.

Wait for it,if waterford win,a man that has went in to hibernation for months,suddenley will come out and say cork were beaten by the all ireland champions.

Cusack is in line for the waterford job,yet him or landers or eddie murphy won't get even considered for any job in cork at underage.Its a Joke.

Eddie Murphy, as in from Douglas??

Never mind, wrong Eddie Murphy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Wondering if someone here could help me .. I remember i was in Croke Park around 5 years ago watching a minor game involving Cork . I remember i was in awe on your centre forward , i've never seen a minor as good in the air . His name was Sheehan . Was it Ciaran Sheehan who is playing with your footballers ?

Eddie Murphy, as in from Douglas??

Never mind, wrong Eddie Murphy!

He coached Kerry,ardfert ,ballyheuige etc to success.

He won an all ireland B medal as a player in 86 with kerry.

He coached bishoptown to the intermediate title and a munster final in 2006,now hes with newecstown.

He coached ballymartle to all ireland intermediate in 2011 beating dicksoboro ,a highly rated team coached by ger henerdson and coached by Codys former trainer and right handman at kk,mick o flynn.

He went for the minor job,but was overlooked in favour of our great genuis,pat kenneally who shoudnt be within a hundred miles of any cork team.

He knows cork hurling inside out,and upside down and is like a snail,where ever he goes he leaves a trail after him,a trail of success.

Incidentally up to this year he is the only cork manager to beat a kk team at any grade at all ireland level or win an all ireland title since 2011.

He has on radio and in the papers said he would love to coach cork at underage,but never even considered.

Hes father was wille long puck murphy,won all irelands with cork in the 40,s.

TheNap wrote: »
    Wondering if someone here could help me .. I remember i was in Croke Park around 5 years ago watching a minor game involving Cork . I remember i was in awe on your centre forward , i've never seen a minor as good in the air . His name was Sheehan . Was it Ciaran Sheehan who is playing with your footballers ?

Yeah, would fit timewise alright! One and the same I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Could be far worse.
    He aint the worst,done very good with youghal and nemo.
    He is fairly old,but it makes no difference,as many managers,proved once hes fresh in mind.

Billy morgan wanted the job i believe but overlooked.That would be my concern.
    Id say that rubbers stamps Cuthbert for the senior job.He would have got the u21 job otherwise.
    No news of the hurling yet.

By all accounts,kenneally will stay.

I have nothing against waterford but i was hoping they would be beaten by KK, and i hope they dont win the final.Normally id love to see them win a minor.

The only reason is,kenneally will piggy back on that success,and spout rubbish on how hes team ran waterford the all ireland champions to extra time and cork are not far off etc,when truth be told Cork should really have been beaten by more,and waterford were much better,and the ref was truly awful to them,and gave cork soft calls.

Wait for it,if waterford win,a man that has went in to hibernation for months,suddenley will come out and say cork were beaten by the all ireland champions.

Cusack is in line for the waterford job,yet him or landers or eddie murphy won't get even considered for any job in cork at underage.Its a Joke.

Cusack isn''t in line for the waterford job, just paper talk. Waterford can't afford to go outside the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Is he still playing club hurling ?

Yep, centre back for his club afaik could be wrong though!

Yes,won a munster minor with cork in 2008.Played with aidan walsh who was half back.

Sheehan with hes history of injuries,should stick to the football.He is corks most talented and versatile footballer.
    We have better hurlers coming .

Hes not as good as people think he is at hurling.

Aidan walsh,who always said hurling was hes first love and would have played hurling,but the footballers called him up,after a trial with denis walsh,another Masterful manager,didnt think he was up to it,and didnt call him up to the hurling.

If cork get walsh and cadogan and sullivan back to full health,it would make a massive difference.

From what i heard,walsh be approached in the winter again.

• Advertisement

Pudders wrote: »
    Cusack isn''t in line for the waterford job, just paper talk. Waterford can't afford to go outside the county.
    Fair enough,he would be a good manager.

For eire og as a half forward or full forward.

Gene O driscoll ,father of cork junior and former u21 players,kieran and colm is a selector on the u21 team.
    Great choice.Not a bad set up ,with him there also.He knows Cork football.

Mick o loughlin is still there.The board always keep one of their own their.

Not a bad management team,even though morgan should have got it,this set up can do well.

From the paper

While U21 and minor football managerial issues were dealt with, there was no mention of sourcing a replacement for Conor Counihan, who stepped down after the All-Ireland quarter-final loss to Dublin. County chairman Bob Ryan expressed the board’s thanks to Counihan.

“Conor deserves our gratitude for the time and effort put in,” he said.

“The public, and our friends in the media, must remember that the work put in is done as volunteers, and should be respected as such.”

Ryan also paid tribute to the Cork support in Sunday’s All-Ireland hurling semi-final win over Dublin.

“The support was superb,” he said, “it was back to where it was when we were at the very top.

“I’ll never forget the roar at the final whistle, it was uplifting.”

Former board chairman Mick Dolan also sought to congratulate the Irish Examiner for Monday’s front-page picture, featuring manager Jimmy Barry-Murphy and county secretary Frank Murphy.

Sean Hayes was appointed as the new U21 boss, replacing John Cleary.

Hayes, who won multiple county and provincial medals with his club Nemo Rangers in the 1970s and 80s, managed Youghal to a county intermediate win in 2000 and also brings a wealth of involvement in his own club.

Gene O’Driscoll of Tadhg Mac Cárthaigh, currently the manager of the Carbery divisional side, is the coach and Seán Bownes (Castlemartyr) and Mick O’Loughlin (Bishopstown) are also selectors. Another selector will be announced later.

In addition, the minor football selectors to serve under Castletownbere’s Donal O’Sullivan, who was appointed at the previous meeting, were also announced. Tom Dorgan (Ballincollig) will serve as the side’s coach, with Andrew McCarthy of Inniscarra, St Finbarr’s clubman Mick Coymns and Paul Holland (Argideen Rangers) also on the management committee.

I didnt C mondays picture,I dont want to either.

But the bit where former county board man thanks the paper,for the photo of frank is unbelievable.

You seriously coudnt script what goes on in Cork GAA .Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mouth of the South

In relation to Brian Gavin ,referee for the final,im not bothered as at leastJames Mcgrath didnt get it.
    Barry kelly had a fine year and must of ran him close.-

He done one final before in 2011.

He has done 8 games with Cork and we have lost six,drawn one, won one.

All those games we were beaten by the better teams,and he didnt influence them at all.
    The only game that was controversial,was 2007,against waterford when cusack was wrongly penalised for a free with time nearly up that drew the game.
    You couldnt say though that waterford were not the better team in the replay,simply they were much better and hurled us of the field.

However waterford to be fair could and rightly so argue ,they didnt get any calls in 2006,when we won in croke park.

I dont think cork will mind him.Discipline is the key,as shown in cork v tipp last year,he will show red if he needs to.

Are you kidding me? Gavin is not a hurling referee, he is a Codyball facilitator, letting fellas away with all the sneaky, snaky strokes that alas have become ingrained in recent years and letting great, big lumps batter their way over smaller players. I suppose he has little choice because he is too fat to keep up with play and usually too far away to see what happens and blowing on the whistle would expend what little breath he would have left in his lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Got to disagree there, I like Gavin, as of now, I think he's the best referee in the country. Might be slightly overweight for a referee, but it doesn't seem to hinder him much. Generally very fair, lets the game flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mouth of the South

Fireball07 wrote: »
    lets the game flow.

Gavin "Lets the game flow"

Translation: Snaky taps of the hurley are grand, holding the hurley of the opponent is grand, wrap your hurley around a fella's neck is dandy, flailing backlash of the hurley is hunky dory if it's not too obvious, more power to you if you want to do plenty of bodychecks and frontal challenges , breaking timber off a fellas head ( you can even do it to Gavin himself) is alright too.

Shur "tis a mans game".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Deluded but absolutely hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

The name Mouth Of the South is perfect :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement