Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

corkvclare_zpsbfc20602.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

typical rte :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lehane went into 15 for Coughlan, McCarthy into centre forward where Lehane was - much better option having McCarthy there to take the pressure of Cronin.

I hope that they have a much better puckout strategy this Saturday than they had in the last game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lehane went into 15 for Coughlan, McCarthy into centre forward where Lehane was - much better option having McCarthy there to take the pressure of Cronin.

I hope that they have a much better puckout strategy this Saturday than they had in the last game!

That's better! Could not believe how many times they won the ball from puckouts.......and then the same type puckout came again:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

GAA website has the same one as the Cork GAA website with Cian in for Jamie

Yeah that was the one i got it from ,cork gaa.A great site,one of the few things the board do well.Tracy kennedy i presume is over that,she good,credit where due.

Lorchan is starting thats a given,never in any doubt.

I wouldnt read too much rte,they have always called cork players names incorrectly or have wrong information.

They badly to get new commentators too while were at it,duignan and marty beginning to burn my ears.Hard to believe he was born in mallow,and is a cork man.

Having said that id take him any day than Paudie palmer.

typical rte :rolleyes:
    Your right.

Rte are far from gospel,like sum writers in the Examiner that had harnedy was a big doubt for the game.

Ger canning ffs,cant even prounce coughlan properly and hes a cork man.

Ah the plot thickens, Hoganstand with the wrong team also :D:confused::rolleyes:

clarecork_zps735eaa93.jpg

I'd say HoganStand got it off RTE

Amprodude wrote: »
    Why is Conor Lehane at 15? Will there be a switch there when game starts?
    Connor won't be orthdox corner forward,like the limerick game.If he is,its mad,but jbm isnt stupid and rarely makes the same mistake twice.If he is confined to the corner,he will be like a big fish in a small tank,he wont have the room to move or breathe,and slowly but surely he will have a slow painful death.

I expect a number of things to happen.Lorchan to play very deep,above joyce,but between midfield a donnellan role,but away from donnellan,and not in a congested midfield,that wnt suit him.Kearney be the man to bomb forward,stronger physically than lorchan.

This will help joyce and stop runners from midfield but ,wil help cork gain a foothold here.

Also ,and it wont be cronin,but as in the ist game,in the second half harnedy will play a deeper midfield role ,to fil the gap,aka timmy mac,in 99.
    Cronin will stay put as unlike harnedy hasnt the athleticsim mobility ,or legs to do that role.Harnedy will graft and win breaking dirty ball.

Lehane will play very much as a 12,,he and harnedy will want to win breaks,and if they do,will run hard straight at clare ,on sat.

We need it hard,straight and direct,we need more peneration saturday.

O connor is their weakest link.Lehanes goal was superb,as good as riche hogans similar goal in 2010 against dub.

Harnedy moving deeper will force donnellan or bulger to move out further,and their not as good outside that comfort zone.

O farrell and horgan as a two man full forward line,can do damage.

But farell needs to step up now.He may look the part,but we need a repeat of limerick u21 2011 and tipp last year in the league where he had two superb goals.

Cian id say will be a wing man,try and get isolated as he can win ball.Its vital,cronin and cian dont bunch up like a swarm of bees around honey,as davy wants cork to bunch.

You keep it wide ,you can beat clare system.

Nash wasnt at all to blame for the puckouts.I stil fail to fathom why hes blamed.He cant be faulted for the poor and lack of movement and options our players gave him,and when he did,he cant be blamed for their awful ist touch or lack ability to win ball.

He could not play it short,it would have been a truly dissaster,like sailing the titantic in to an iceberg,despite warnings not to.

Ex cork camoige player sarah o donovan wrote the best article i have read since the drawn game tonight.

She said many great points.

She said nash coudnt have went with short puckouts as the midfield was overran,their was no movement,and the half back line was already under huge pressure.

She nailed it"it would have been the straw to break the camels back "if cork went short.

The fault wasnt with nash.If cusack was their it would have been the same.

In 2005 galway expected cork to go short.The cork half forwards pushed out deep,sumthing we didnt do last day,and therefore cusack varied it,went long,suprised galway,and one of those created the goal,when Ben,raced in to oceans of free space.

She also made a great point.So far clare either blow a team out of it,in high scoring games like limerick or else like in june,they get blown out of it.She said their similar to Galway last year.

Her point was its all or nothing,theres no in between,like cork who have against clare in the final and in games like galway,and waterford when outplayed in the league got draws.

But we have also won high octane games like the dub game.She is right,the more you think of it,theirs a real substance and middle ground with this cork team.

• Advertisement

Its easy to get carried away with the hurlers,but we have the ladies two.

Any news team when its named and n juliet?

From what I heard, Jules will be fine

Team will be public tomorrow I reckon - would have had to have been with HQ yesterday for programme printing, so should be up on the website pretty soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Connor won't be orthdox corner forward,like the limerick game.If he is,its mad,but jbm isnt stupid and rarely makes the same mistake twice.If he is confined to the corner,he will be like a big fish in a small tank,he wont have the room to move or breathe,and slowly but surely he will have a slow painful death.

I expect a number of things to happen.Lorchan to play very deep,above joyce,but between midfield a donnellan role,but away from donnellan,and not in a congested midfield,that wnt suit him.Kearney be the man to bomb forward,stronger physically than lorchan.

This will help joyce and stop runners from midfield but ,wil help cork gain a foothold here.

Also ,and it wont be cronin,but as in the ist game,in the second half harnedy will play a deeper midfield role ,to fil the gap,aka timmy mac,in 99.
    Cronin will stay put as unlike harnedy hasnt the athleticsim mobility ,or legs to do that role.Harnedy will graft and win breaking dirty ball.

Lehane will play very much as a 12,,he and harnedy will want to win breaks,and if they do,will run hard straight at clare ,on sat.

We need it hard,straight and direct,we need more peneration saturday.

O connor is their weakest link.Lehanes goal was superb,as good as riche hogans similar goal in 2010 against dub.

Harnedy moving deeper will force donnellan or bulger to move out further,and their not as good outside that comfort zone.

O farrell and horgan as a two man full forward line,can do damage.

But farell needs to step up now.He may look the part,but we need a repeat of limerick u21 2011 and tipp last year in the league where he had two superb goals.

Cian id say will be a wing man,try and get isolated as he can win ball.Its vital,cronin and cian dont bunch up like a swarm of bees around honey,as davy wants cork to bunch.

You keep it wide ,you can beat clare system.

Nash wasnt at all to blame for the puckouts.I stil fail to fathom why hes blamed.He cant be faulted for the poor and lack of movement and options our players gave him,and when he did,he cant be blamed for their awful ist touch or lack ability to win ball.

He could not play it short,it would have been a truly dissaster,like sailing the titantic in to an iceberg,despite warnings not to.

Ex cork camoige player sarah o donovan wrote the best article i have read since the drawn game tonight.

She said many great points.

She said nash coudnt have went with short puckouts as the midfield was overran,their was no movement,and the half back line was already under huge pressure.

She nailed it"it would have been the straw to break the camels back "if cork went short.

The fault wasnt with nash.If cusack was their it would have been the same.

In 2005 galway expected cork to go short.The cork half forwards pushed out deep,sumthing we didnt do last day,and therefore cusack varied it,went long,suprised galway,and one of those created the goal,when Ben,raced in to oceans of free space.

She also made a great point.So far clare either blow a team out of it,in high scoring games like limerick or else like in june,they get blown out of it.She said their similar to Galway last year.

Her point was its all or nothing,theres no in between,like cork who have against clare in the final and in games like galway,and waterford when outplayed in the league got draws.

But we have also won high octane games like the dub game.She is right,the more you think of it,theirs a real substance and middle ground with this cork team.

Yeah i was only wondering with a fast player like Lehane would be best suited at 10 or 12. I wouldnt think he would be all that effective at no 15. Of course quality ball would have to be hit low and fast into him where his speed skill and first touch are his strong points to make any Cork attack happen.

O Farrell has been poor this year by his own standards. He really needs to get some work done in the gym too. He seems to get pushed around far too easy. He is young so that can be worked on in the coming years. If good quality ball goes into him he has pace to burn most defenders.

It will be interesting to see how Cork will vary the puckout strategy next day and if Clare can counteract it. I cant see JBM making same mistakes again.

From what I heard, Jules will be fine

Team will be public tomorrow I reckon - would have had to have been with HQ yesterday for programme printing, so should be up on the website pretty soon

You should do a preview for here for the big day,as bar the Echo who credit due are doing a profile cork players in the lead up to the final every day this week,the coverage in some papers has been poor.

The camoige two weeks ago got poor build up exposure.

You would know more about both teams than most here.

Yeah i was only wondering with a fast player like Lehane would be best suited at 10 or 12. I wouldnt think he would be all that effective at no 15. Of course quality ball would have to be hit low and fast into him where his speed skill and first touch are his strong points to make any Cork attack happen.

O Farrell has been poor this year by his own standards. He really needs to get some work done in the gym too. He seems to get pushed around far too easy. He is young so that can be worked on in the coming years. If good quality ball goes into him he has pace to burn most defenders.

It will be interesting to see how Cork will vary the puckout strategy next day and if Clare can counteract it. I cant see JBM making same mistakes again.

your right,Hes very lightweight ,and he should be stronger like u said,he nds be like lehane.Moylan wil have to come on fast if luke aint performing.Id give luke 20 minutes to prove himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

your right,Hes very lightweight ,and he should be stronger like u said,he nds be like lehane.Moylan wil have to come on fast if luke aint performing.Id give luke 20 minutes to prove himself.

20 mins for a corner forward in an AI final is absolutely bonkers.

Only change for the Cork ladies is that Elaine Harte starts in goal instead of Martina O Brien

You should do a preview for here for the big day,as bar the Echo who credit due are doing a profile cork players in the lead up to the final every day this week,the coverage in some papers has been poor.

The camoige two weeks ago got poor build up exposure.

You would know more about both teams than most here.

Wish I had time, if I do get time I will do it - up the walls with work and preparing for our own finals day the following weekend!

Wish I had time, if I do get time I will do it - up the walls with work and preparing for our own finals day the following weekend!

Best of luck with those.!!

Two days to go ...atmsophere beginning to rev up a notch.

The cork team have given us sum four months.

Jbm is not just a legend,but a through gentleman,a real gentleman of the higesest order.He deserves so much credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Lower Cusack for me near the half way line, can't wait. Come on you reds!

thefloss wrote: »
    Lower Cusack for me near the half way line, can't wait. Come on you reds!

Lucky!! I've no idea if I have my tickets yet, presume so, and won't know until Friday night when I get into the hotel where mine are!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Lucky!! I've no idea if I have my tickets yet, presume so, and won't know until Friday night when I get into the hotel where mine are!

Yeah we got terrible ones from Frankeen but luckily was able to swap with the club. I'm even more nervous now that I have great seats! It's like it will be even worse if we lose... doesn't make much sense.

thefloss wrote: »
    Yeah we got terrible ones from Frankeen but luckily was able to swap with the club. I'm even more nervous now that I have great seats! It's like it will be even worse if we lose... doesn't make much sense.

Their beginning to surface about though.
    Fair play getting a ticket.

It will of course hurt like hell if we loose ,but at the same time,30 other counties would bite our hand of to be in our position.That is what i reflect on when i walk in to Croke park around 4 on Saturday.It wil hurt to loose but not like 2009 in the football,or 2006 or 2003 etc.A different kind of pain.

Considering the turbulent sevens years,and we have been to hell back,and the problems we have still, and the fact we have our fair share bad luck with injuries etc,win or loose,its great to be in a final,first under lights and hurling in to october nearly.We had six amazing wks of a build up.I dont want sound like A rose of tralee contestant ,and say oh its such honur to be here ,just to take part,blah blah etc And I'm never a man for moral victories,but theres an exception to every rule,and Cork have done beyond belief to get where we are .Were in bonus terriority,with a great chance of winning.

Not a superistous lad or anything,but in every decade since 73 in the third year of that decade, we have been in either senior hurling our football,winning once ,beating galway in 73.

We lost to KK in 83,derry 93,kk again 2003.

And were now in another final 2013.

Win or loose im just eternally grateful to JBM and this team for giving us a second day out ,and its a privledge to be their in croke park on what has been sum journey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No ticket yet but I'm hoping to have one by Friday night...if not I'll be travelling without one - usually don't but I'm not missing this one.

Glad the ladies seem to fully fit and raring to go.

Hopefully 2 All Irelands in 24 hours!

Cork team actually has two changes from the semi final

Elaine Harte starts in goal in place of Martina O Brien, Elaine went away travelling for two months and has had a achilles tendon injury. The full back line stays the same with captain Ann Marie Walsh, Brid Stack and Deidre O Reilly. I would prefer to see O Reilly further up the field. Half back line, Rena Buckley at centre back flanked by stalwarts Briege Corkery and Ger O Flynn - I have a feeling that Rena may swap with Deidre to midfield and Angela Walsh back centre back. Legend Juliet Murphy partners Angela Walsh in midfield, but that could change.

Half forward line sees Doireann O Sullivan named at centre forward, just out of minor, great footballer but questionable temperament at times, wingforward Annie Walsh will probably end up back as a third midfielder with Nollaig Cleary the other wing forward. Full forward line sees Rhona Ni Buachailla come in for Orla Finn, with Ciara O Sullivan in the corner, and Valerie in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Not a superistous lad or anything,but in every decade since 73 in the third year of that decade, we have been in either senior hurling our football,winning once ,beating galway in 73.

We lost to KK in 83,derry 93,kk again 2003.

And were now in another final 2013.

Thought about that earlier on in week. Hope we are not on loosing side again on the 3rd year of decade. We have won football in 73 so it all cant be that bad. I dont think it matters here. Kilkenny never won an All Ireland on the 8th year of any decade, and there was talks in 2008 if they would fall short. They went out played their best hurling ever and blitzed Waterford and capsured the 2008 All Ireland.

Thought about that earlier on in week. Hope we are not on loosing side again on the 3rd year of decade. We have won football in 73 so it all cant be that bad. I dont think it matters here. Kilkenny never won an All Ireland on the 8th year of any decade, and there was talks in 2008 if they would fall short. They went out played their best hurling ever and blitzed Waterford and capsured the 2008 All Ireland.

I agree wnt have much bearing,just a trend i tgt mention.

You must be like a cat that got the cream,bck hme this one,u were america last time

I remember when we met cork in june,i said it was as strong team as jbm cd picked bar kenny.

I felt and said it then ,harnedy was key.I said it was a big ask,but he had the attuide and the more he played,the rawness in hes game,wd go.

I was bang on the muney,what i got wrong,was how gd he was so fast.The guy has bn a relevation.

I said then,that hes attuide you couldnt question.I feel six games in he is more complete,but lot more in him.A key player sat.

I felt cork would put up a fight and rattle them,bt with lorchan,cronin out wed fall short.

Interesting they were poor the last day again,we drew.

If these guys do themselve justice,we have a great chance.

The cork team for sat,i feel is strong bar mcdonnell.

Cian can hurl,i remain to be convinced he can play a fast tempo but nw is the chance.

Luke had five games so far and hasnt been consisent enough at the level he can be.

For that reason twenty minutes should be enough to judge if hes showing the touch,attuide etc we need.Its not like its hes first game,he had five so far.

Moylan is a great sub to have,but we must use him as early as we can.

Dublin didnt waste time the last day with subs,cork got to do the same.

Im confident of a huge display from us,and even jbm tone and mood from cork,vastly changed from the drawn game.

I mentioned Eoghan kinery five weeks ago as a player that stood out for me at the u17 all ireland.I noticed something special,even though he is a work in progress.I said he was similar build style to seamus harnedy.He has lots of hurling,but strength and very brave.

I heard he was outstanding for midelton,geting a goal and five in the harty cup yesterday.I was at the bandon game and couldnt do both,but a lad told me today ,he looked very good yesterday.

One to keep an eye on over the next year.

• Advertisement

Its a huge wknd at intercounty but big games tngt in the club championship.

Clyda and Nemo tngt in the intermediate semifinal in the superb ptich at cloughduv.Would love to make this,bt cant due to the fact saturday and sunday taken up ,senior games for cork.

I would love to c clyda win it ,outright ,the mayo of club football in cork,heartbreak defeats in 3 finals the last few years.Not just im a North cork man,but i have great time for what clyda achieved and their support cork hurling in 2009.

Sum really die hard players have given their all the last few years.

I think its their time,tngt they will win,and set up cracker with macroom.

Best luck to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement