Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

what a total downer!great effort by the lads to keep in touch with them,have to say though well done Clare,they played some serious hurling and deserved their victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Clyda up three 6 to 3 at h time.

Very accurate ,anaylis cant argue with that.

The mullanes in clyda sum stalwarts.Niall has reinvented himself,as a half back,always a forward starting out.Must be around 33 now.Great club player.

What u make county senior?nemo or the haven.
    Clyda won..you beauty.Delighted they won,such small club.

The hardest part was getting to the final,i cnt c macroom beating them.Sean kiely,and the two goulds,particulary David be a huge threat.O mahony full back is intercounty,name only and has been exposed in club games.

Im no fan kissane,at ic,but club is fine.He has expierence,leadership,and hes kicking medicocity,or lack of invention wnt be exposed.

Macroom play a slow game,clyda the same,kissane idea that level.Could be man of the match.But no way should he be on the panel next year.

Evertything on face value.

Ray carey,and o sullivan have played in all ireland finals in 2010 for cork,so they even macroom out.

But the likes of the mullanes etc should swing it.

Not suprised at the low score tbqh given the style of play for both teams but glad to see Clyda go through.

On the final - I've only played against Macroom once and Clyda a few times, Macroom weren't the team I thought they'd be given how strong they appear on paper.

Overall I'd have Clyda to shade it and I'll be 100% supporting them, reasons for it is, even if Macroom do better in the central positions, if Clyda dominate the wings they'll win, and I think Macroom are severely lacking on the wings.

That said, Clyda can be dodge at the back and the Goulds could get goals there, goals win games. Interesting final and not the one I was expecting at the start of the year!

Finally, hard luck today lads, you did very well to get there and it was an advertisement for the sport to see yourselves and Clare contest it.

Hopefully we'll be seeing more of you in Croke Park in September....only in the Hurling mind *puts on Kerry cap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

As a nuetral I look forward to seeing likes of Seamus Harnedy for next few years,special talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Fair play to Cork, never laid down and gave up, and JBM is a real gent in defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

First of all congrats to clare a superb team,and better team won.

Clare did hit the same level as the last day but cork played much better in the second halfbt the goals killed us.

If you had said nash would conceded five goals,the last time 2007 against waterford i would have said what are you sniffing.

I thougt he would concede one but nt 3 but not a hope five.But bar one i could not fault him,as the four were superb goals and two he had no protection at all from hes full bactj.

He s free was sum goal,to beat 12 men n the line,unreal unreal.He must be the only goalie that can concede five and win an all star.

Shane o neill,i had doubts about he being a Natural comanding full back.He was good the last day against honan but today was brutally exposed in what i always said,you must have a natural full back against a real quailty goal getter in Tots.I didnt think he would start.He did not even think it himself.

Mcdonnell was superb ,at corner back,i wouldnt have started him -but he was v good.A v gd corner back.My preference was lorchan at five,and he was the one to loose out.Next year he is grand as a corner back.

Lorchan must be at half back.I had reservations about him as a midfield man,while better today its nt hes position.

Sul done v good bar like o neill a dreadful mistake for two goals.

Egan was awful.

Joyce was magnificent and grew in to the game,sum amount ball he hurled in the second half.He is one for next year.

Kearney a good game,as he was up against but needs a more balanced partner,lorchan not it.

Lehane poor game,has the talent,but two points poor return.

Cian mac i said i had doubts to start him,he was awful.Not up to it,he is a sub at best.

Cronin fought hard,won gd ball but not hes best.

I was accused of being bonkers when i said luke should get 20 min,no more.I was correct,and today showed that.He had six games,hasnt delivered should nt lasted so long .

Horgan very good,limited ball and has the al star.

Best man til last.Seamus harnedy take a bow,FFS words dnt do you justice ,but i wil try.

Brave,brillant,honest,skilful,a braveheart, in all magnicficent.One goal and two,cd got another goal,made three points,wn lots dirty ball.

The work rate of the ball,was unreal.Our find of the season and from play ,with scores,overall contrbution ,even ahead of pat horgan,my view our best ever forward this year.
    He got our first points in the drawn clare game,and dublin game,always at the pace of the game.
    One twelve in six champ games,unreal.

An all star.You gave your all.again he suprised me he would be better than i thought.Yes he could turn water in to wine.

We unearthed a gem,he wil be better and a future captain of corkTo find him,the season is already a success.wel ****ing done seamus.

I said naughton shouldnt be usf.Again i was right.Awful in possesion,ponderus and al he has is pace.when harnedy AGAIN when the need was greatest,plucked a superb ball at the edge of the square,naughton was the last man you wantf to c ,get it.Why couldnt it have been moylan or lehane.

Naughton dropped it.The chance to be a hero, and draw the game,he blew it.I have said it many times,he aint up to it.Thank god,thats the last game for him in a cork shirt.

That was hes last game for cork.

Jamie coughlan was much better sub,and i dnt want be harsh on jbm but to pick naughton over jamie was a poor call.

Kenny dne good as a sub.

White i doubted him,wdnt have rated him but he was very good,credit due.

He tightened up the defence,a lot.

Cork i said last nght needed three players.Just three,you can win an all ireland with two average guys,but you need at least 13 top men,and like clare and the superb tots,a real game changer.

I always say you Must have a spine ,of a team at 3 .6,in the middle,cf and full forward.

We have at one at midfield,one at cb,but we need a full back ,a midfielder and a cf,or half forward.

Full back was exposed brutally when the third goal was scored with two cork men went for one ball,o neill never minded the house and a goal.
    A good full back plays the aera nt the man.That doesnt mean o neill is poor,he is top quailty defender,nt a full.

When u c shane o donnell ,at 19 and tony kelly and darren sweetnaham,then cork must invest in michael cahalane,pa callaghan,and have them on the senior panel.

Jbm must take the bull by the horns,as if poor managers at underage are in place,those lads wnt develop,but jbm can get them and save them.

Its gut wrenching to loose,but no one expected us to be here at the start of the year.

We are the most improved team ,as we came from nowhere.jbm and them deserve huge respect ,and admiration for what he has done.

He has brought pride,enjoyment to cork hurling,and when lessers teams would have died we never gave up 8 down,kept coming back,and no shame our disgrace to beaten this clare team.

In 2010 we beaten by kk in a semifinal,we were beaten after 20,we gjve up.Today we were beaten after 16 min,bt we never gave up.

Thats the diff,between cork under walsh and cork under jbm.

Two of the greatest finals ever,a worthy champion,and a superb tactian,who knew cork were weak at full back ,but had the balls to pick o donnell at full forward,and went for the julgar and it paid off.

• Advertisement

As a nuetral I look forward to seeing likes of Seamus Harnedy for next few years,special talent.

The guy wil be captain of cork,the next few years,and he has the attuide of a paul o connell,roy keane ,shefflin,cocoran etc,in that he doesnt just have a talent,but the work rate,and honesty and knows what the jersey and who he represents,once the ball is thrown in,that he wont rest on he's laurels and get carried away.

1-13 from play in hes ist six games.He is just two behind corks talisman,marquee man horgan,as corks top scorer from play.

Hes level with Honan,and just two behind collins ,and five aprox behind kelly ,who had two more games than him ,in scores from play.

He was involved in 40 per cent of our scores in the drawn game.

He in the two biggest games of a players life,corks top scorer with 1-5 from play,ahead of horgan,lehane etc.

Collins who had a super game the ist day and young player of the year, got 3 points the last day but was poor today,and scoreless.He was as good as tony kelly,and bulger,donnellan,excellent over two games.

A model of consistency.

He has 18 from play so far,yet harnedy has 1-13 but in the minority of a few players that actually put two good all ireland displays in finals back to back,and was superb today.

If it was anyone bar naughton that got hes final pass he could have made a vital goal for cork.

Hes the Bonner Maher type player,but ten times better in that he can actually score .

He like maher will win the all star in hes debut season.

I said in june a star was born,and in time he would be our timmy mac,tomas mul,and niall mac.

Hes them rolled in to one just now.He will be better than those.Thats how good he can and Will be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hard luck today lads two of the best games of hurling I have had the privilege of watching. Ye came up just short today but the guts and resolve shown by that Cork team to come back from 8 points was something else. Surely better days to come for this side.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'm knackered, and I have to do it all again tomorrow!! Early start about 9am - left Croke Park today at 8am to go to the 7s, back in for the hurling, left the hurling, changed my clothes, back out to decorate the Hill and then back to the hotel for food!

Moylan was fantastic when he came on,super point and goal,and tracking back in the corner back,at one stage.

I said he should came on earlier for luke.

The draw next year is thur night live rte.

Munster may be best served nt winning it as youd have to peak two early to win it,its so competitve.

We dnt want clare ist round.

Limerick or waterford suit us fine.The sheedy talk seems to died down,if they dnt get sheedy,and depending who they get i wdnt fear them in cork .

Waterford ,again who is the manager?i wdnt mind them.Itr not saying that we are certs to win,nt at all,just their the easier two outside tipp and clare.

We dont need to be on their side of the draw.To get to a munster final,be good,as we cd loose,and just 3 games then.

Be great clare,tipp met first round.Tipp i expect to be very good at the very least in Munster next year.

Its been a good year,but div 2 will hurt us,when we try blood young lads,we wnt know how good they are.
    Id say kenny and murphy will retire,from what i heard tngt.

Paudie be back.We have defenders options.

Cussen,naughton,bud,all gone.Michael o sul shoujhd gt game time today, nt sure he stay next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Knackered, disappointed and proud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

If anybody said at the start of the Championship that Cork would get to the All Ireland Final and beat Kilkenny along the way, we wouldn't believe it. This is a young team and I'm sure there's an All Ireland in them. Today's defeat will make them hungrier for success in the years to come. There are plenty of positives to take out of today.

Todays defeat hammers home the need for the right minor and u21 manager.

Met a lad today,told me he was a physio at harty cup game ,in chareville ,midelton and nenagh,and Mark landers was their.

Im nt sure that means he is the next man or could be their just watch as was a few killeagh lads playing.

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Knackered, disappointed and proud

Same here,im irish but more importantly im a cork man.Proud as bunch,still wear cork jersey during the week.Hope they get a huge crowd homecoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I wasn't at the game. I watched it on the telly. I thought Cork could have benefitted from being more cynical. For the first two goals I felt Cork defenders could have hauled down the man and given away free scoring opportunities to Colin Ryan. I was shouting at the television, 'Bring him down' and nothing happened except for a pass off to Shane O Donnell and a goal. Better team won. Cork need to find better players in defence and midfield. Harnedy, Horgan, Cronin and Lehane had good games up front but Cork's defence was nervous and shaky all day. Midfield of McLoughlin and Kearney was cleaned out! I wouldn't call for wholesale changes. I think Cork need to find 3-4 key players in those areas

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

What was JBM and Frank chatting so intensely about at the end of the game I wonder?

What was JBM and Frank chatting so intensely about at the end of the game I wonder?
    Frank and Bob were talkin to him at h time leading in to the tunnell.Maybee the boys wanted to stick their nose in who knows?

Maybee frank wanted cussen and jbm said nt a hope.My guess,may be wrong,but those two are big sars fans you know.

They cnt piss jbm of,as if he walked their would be an outcry in cork.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I wasn't at the game. I watched it on the telly. I thought Cork could have benefitted from being more cynical. For the first two goals I felt Cork defenders could have hauled down the man and given away free scoring opportunities to Colin Ryan. I was shouting at the television, 'Bring him down' and nothing happened except for a pass off to Shane O Donnell and a goal. Better team won. Cork need to find better players in defence and midfield. Harnedy, Horgan, Cronin and Lehane had good games up front but Cork's defence was nervous and shaky all day. Midfield of McLoughlin and Kearney was cleaned out! I wouldn't call for wholesale changes. I think Cork need to find 3-4 key players in those areas

Agree we needed a cynacism to our play,like the rock had.The last time we conceded five with nash was in 2007 against waterford when the rock was misring.

Lehane was poor,cronin good at best,horgan good but its dissrespectful to say they were in the same league as harnedy.

He was inspirational, our best forward by a country mile, he got scores ,made them-won frees,and only for him we were ****ed,up **** creek without a paddle.

He would have bn man of the match from a cork perspective.Our best player ,unlucky nt to get two goals.

One midfielder,a full back not a stop gap,and another ball winning-athletic, mobile strong forward.

We have the rest.Oh my god if we had sweetnahm,just what you need to break tackles,instead we have a poor cian mac.

A natural fullback & dominant, aggressive center back would have made all the difference today. Stats will show Shane O Neill left in 4-3 to he's opposite marker
    Having i been saying that we need a natural full back last hour,even ten months.

Joyce thunderd in to the game in the second half,but again they were under savage pressure as cian wasnt mobile to win any ball at h forward and cronin was in at full.

O farell was useless,should have walked after 20.
    Want to c next full back go to ucc and sars next week.

Having i been saying that we need a natural full back last hour,even ten months.

Joyce thunderd in to the game in the second half,but again they were under savage pressure as cian wasnt mobile to win any ball at h forward and cronin was in at full.

O farell was useless,should have walked after 20.
    Want to c next full back go to ucc and sars next week.
    Luke O'Farrell was incredibly poor both days. He doesn't lack skill but he certainly lacks physicality. There was a softness about this Cork team all over the field today. I think Clare knew they could and did bully them!

• Advertisement

Luke O'Farrell was incredibly poor both days. He doesn't lack skill but he certainly lacks physicality. There was a softness about this Cork team all over the field today. I think Clare knew they could and did bully them!

In most aeras we were bullied i agree.Cronin as big as he is was blown out of it,by aggression hunger tenacity of clare.

Lehane lacks that mindset ,farell the same.They nd to get it fast,or be like naughton.Lehane i have confidence,o farell i am doubtful.

Thats why and i said it wks back midelton are grand flashy dans hurling club games ,but in a dog fight i remain convinced they wil win the county.

A team like na piasaigh or carrig cd beat them where mideltn could beat the sars in a shootout etc.

In most aeras we were bullied i agree.Cronin as big as he is was blown out of it,by aggression hunger tenacity of clare.

Lehane lacks that mindset ,farell the same.They nd to get it fast,or be like naughton.Lehane i have confidence,o farell i am doubtful.

Thats why and i said it wks back midelton are grand flashy dans hurling club games ,but in a dog fight i remain convinced they wil win the county.

A team like na piasaigh or carrig cd beat them where mideltn could beat the sars in a shootout etc.
    Clare should have been a team of boys facing men today, instead it was the reverse! I don't mean to insult the Cork players but they just either didn't have that aggression or they simply didn't show the aggression necessary to win. Eddie Brennan said in commentary that Cork teams he faced had controlled aggression with skill. This Cork team needs to bring physicality and aggression to the table as well as their skill. I'm not going to criticize any more Cork players personally, I think they know what will be required newt year. Today and this year was not their time. Simple as that. They did try their best!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Still gutted.

The one thing i would be worried about as a Cork fan tonight is we may not be contesting an All Ireland Final for a long time again you will have Clare KK Tipp Waterford Dublin and Galway back next year and div2 hurling will send us back a good bit. Winning Munster would be a stepping stone next year but unlikely.

Heartbroken but beaten by a better team. No shame in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Amprodude wrote: »
    Honan is very overrated. He reminds me of Cussen. One trick pony.

Das rite, he was a "one trick" pony today, and what a trick.
    Clare have another "trick" ....... his name is Shane "Hat Trick" O'Donnell!!! :D

999/112 wrote: »
    Clare have another "trick" ....... his name is Shane "Hat Trick" O'Donnell!!! :D
    Not very dignified. And in response to your post Cork have 30 titles and Clare have how many?????? 4

999/112 wrote: »

Honan scored a vital goal fair play to him. He played his part when he came on and did what was needed. He is still a one trick pony though my opinion wont change there

Enjoy the celebrations and the win, your team fully deserved it and earned it.

Agreed, I said this too last week. He lacks physicality and was Corks worst forward in both finals. He was much better in the League. CianMc should never line out for Cork again and Naughton should pack it in after today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Amprodude wrote: »
    Still gutted.

The one thing i would be worried about as a Cork fan tonight is we may not be contesting an All Ireland Final for a long time again you will have Clare KK Tipp Waterford Dublin and Galway back next year and div2 hurling will send us back a good bit. Winning Munster would be a stepping stone next year but unlikely.

Heartbroken but beaten by a better team. No shame in that.

This year would have been a great year to win it. Clare are only going to get better.

This year would have been a great year to win it. Clare are only going to get better.

I know. But every year is different. If they dont get any injuries to key players this Clare team have few All Irelands in them. As for Cork i dont know where it will lead us? Div 2 hurling will not help.

• Advertisement

Nobody knows what the future holds for either Cork or Clare. Cork could come and win 2 or 3 All-Irelands and this Clare team may never win any more titles. Tipperary, Kilkenny, Limerick, Galway and Dublin will have realistic ambitions of winning an All-Ireland next year and each one of those teams will relish meeting Clare. I think the championship will be a fairly open affair over the next 3-5 years!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement