Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Amprodude wrote: »
    I know. But every year is different. If they dont get any injuries to key players this Clare team have few All Irelands in them. As for Cork i dont know where it will lead us? Div 2 hurling will not help.

I agree but when you look at guys like duggan,alan o neill,clancy shows their strength in depth with the two o connells boc in particular.

Clare have won an all ireland,many clare teams past would loose,but this team is a special team,a different team,as they dnt know defeat,unlike cork they know just one way to win.

Their underage was reviewed in 2010,seanie mcmahon and jamsie etc tore up the succesful manual and wanted it changed as said clare must keep evolvimg to be succesful.They have an astute manager,one of the best around,who will get all the help he needs with his dad the chairman.

The only thing that will hinder clare is complacency however they have a huge advantage.They won this all ireland nt beating the big two kilkenny and tiq.

Next year cute davy will say they have to beat them to get full respect and it will drive them on.Clare when beaten in june i posted clare thread dnt panic,all the posters wanted davy head.

I said stick with him til the end of the year,judge him then.I said it remained to be seen would he win ye an all ireland,but he was the best man for clare.

Davy will build an empire with them.Most these lads dnt drink.

At the u17 tournament,a guy called loughanne at midfield i singled out.There is huge talent in clare.

I said it fri night,said it all year long,win or loose we have serious problems.But we are much better than last year,but we nd to not panic now ,just get three players.

Next year i cnt c us winning it.The year after if we make progress.We are ahead of limerick thanks to allen,and waterford,and galway,so were a bit more developed.

A lot depends their new managers.

Pat mulchay done a review,like an affadivit of schools,underage in cork,what needed to be done,as he was with the development squads.Frank and the board ignored it,pat mul walked away.

Everything i said all year about this cork team i was right,bar white impressed me yesterday.

Horgan i said had to stand up ,he did,fantastic year-as he was last chance saloon.

We should have had a natural three in the league,injury to spillane,keane didnt help.

Lorchan isnt a midfielder,half back.

Joyce nds be left centre,to develop,and nt like keith earls,jack all trades master of none.

We need a balance with kearney.

We needed another ball winner,half forward,we found that and much more,harnedy,what a find.

Luke should be panel next year,but told shape up,ship ov.Mindset more than anything.

Cough5an has to become regular cork,maybee midfield.

Naughton was useless,one stage beared down n goal,froze ,turned back dropped ball.

When i saw him on as ist sub,i knew we were beaten.

Leigh desmond must be looked at,spillane,michael cahalane,pa callaghan etc.Ian cahill of cloyne a super full back,at 17 must be watched.

Invest in youth.The minor and u21 managers cd be as important as yesterday.If we get two clueless managers,i will have no hair or teeth left.

Agreed, I said this too last week. He lacks physicality and was Corks worst forward in both finals. He was much better in the League. CianMc should never line out for Cork again and Naughton should pack it in after today.
    Its not naughton choice,JBM needs to make it for him,dnt pick him,simple as that.

Cian is fine as a sub,no way should he started.Moylan should have.You cant play paudie and moylan together,two alike.

When paudie comes back it be interesting.A great reader of the game,he was superb at half back as a minor.Id nearly try him their.

I still cnt fathom how the **** naughton ahead coughlan.If jamie got the chance cathal had he would scored.I knew naughton would cost us.A joke to play him.

Honan scored a vital goal fair play to him. He played his part when he came on and did what was needed. He is still a one trick pony though my opinion wont change there

Enjoy the celebrations and the win, your team fully deserved it and earned it.

Honan scored game was over,practially.He would suited o neill,down to the ground after the ist day.

He is nothing like tots who has sumthing like 6-7 in a handful games.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Its not naughton choice,JBM needs to make it for him,dnt pick him,simple as that.

Cian is fine as a sub,no way should he started.Moylan should have.You cant play paudie and moylan together,two alike.

When paudie comes back it be interesting.A great reader of the game,he was superb at half back as a minor.Id nearly try him their.

I still cnt fathom how the **** naughton ahead coughlan.If jamie got the chance cathal had he would scored.I knew naughton would cost us.A joke to play him.
    I know we all have our personal views on players. But to be fair, the team simply wasn't good enough. If you had to pick your best 15 from both Cork and Clare, how many Cork players would get in ahead of Clare players. I think Nash, Harnedy, Lehane, Horgan and Cronin. That's only 5 though. Just not good enough overall.

Still gutted.

The one thing i would be worried about as a Cork fan tonight is we may not be contesting an All Ireland Final for a long time again you will have Clare KK Tipp Waterford Dublin and Galway back next year and div2 hurling will send us back a good bit. Winning Munster would be a stepping stone next year but unlikely.

Heartbroken but beaten by a better team. No shame in that.

Last year i would have taken munster.The way its so competitve,its about peaking,i wouldnt focus on it,bar to get to a final.

Limerick won it and its just held them back,they thought and sum still live in a fanatsy that there as good as that and believe they would beat clare if they met again.The players are their,but need the right manager ,but it seems sheedy isnt in their yet.

Id rather get to an all ireland final than win munster be honest.

• Advertisement

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I know we all have our personal views on players. But to be fair, the team simply wasn't good enough. If you had to pick your best 15 from both Cork and Clare, how many Cork players would get in ahead of Clare players. I think Nash, Harnedy, Lehane, Horgan and Cronin. That's only 5 though. Just not good enough overall.

You cant be the pessimst and say the wind wont change,or the optimsist and say the wind will change.
    We need to be realistic and adapt or sails to face the storms ahead.

With the board,you can be only pessimstic.

With jbm ,we dont need to be.

We as i said friday are a work in progress.

Clear out sum of the dead wood,and three is all we need.

You dont get to a final,beat clare,kk,dub,and take clare to a replay and level with 8 to go,with just five players.

The players we were missing were key central positions,full back and midfield,and half forward.

The rest were bound to struggle.Fill those gaps,strengthen the spine were fine.

Dont panic.I knew this would happen,if we won talk three in a row,we lost were ****ed.

We came a long way,but have a bit to go.

But jbm will win an all ireland most this team,bt nine or ten at least.

It would have been fairytale to win an all ireland without a natural full back.

Limerick could have destroyed us if downes was full.I knew after galway in the league shane o neill and after last year county final he wasnt a three.I have always said this.

Be realistic,we were beaten by a better team but no other team have came close to clare in so many games than us.

3 players in key positions will do.

If we had cadogan,sweetnahm and paudie on the bench could made a diff.

Cadogan was bemoaned for years bv while he had hes faults he woudnt allow three goals against him.He would be cynical rest assured,loved the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Last year i would have taken munster.The way its so competitve,its about peaking,i wouldnt focus on it,bar to get to a final.

Limerick won it and its just held them back,they thought and sum still live in a fanatsy that there as good as that and believe they would beat clare if they met again.The players are their,but need the right manager ,but it seems sheedy isnt in their yet.

Id rather get to an all ireland final than win munster be honest.

I agree.

With div2 hurling we will only go backwards. The progress we made this year was unreal but when JBM tries out new players in League we wont know how good they are or if they are up to it until first round of championship. We are years behind most other hurling counties in terms of development squads. We have alot of clubs in Cork, we are a big county with a big population. I would be hopeful in that regard that Cork can put a good team together and be back competing again each year in the future.
    Looking at it from a Cork perspective, We badly need Silverware. Nothing since 2006 is an unbelievable Stat for Cork hurling. The strikes and stuff with Frank and CCB are been a factor too.Thats the 3rd replay we have lost since 2007 in Championship. Lost League Final and Munster Final 2010. League Final 2012, Lost relegation playoff 2013 and Munster and All Ireland 2013. We need to end this losing streak soon.

The draw for the 2014 Championship will be on RTE 2 Thursday at 7pm if any one wants to record or watch it.

I don't think there's going to be any soft draws in Munster or Leinster for the hurling next year.

In the football Cork will be guaranteed a munster final pairing with Kerry. And if Cork win as they nearly always do when playing Kerry in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in championship, they can look forward to a semi-final pairing with Mayo as it's Connaught v Munster this year. So, it looks like Cork will have have to beat Kerry, Mayo and Dublin if they want to win Sam.

Long story short, it's not going to be easy for the hurlers or the footballers next year!!!

I agree.

With div2 hurling we will only go backwards. The progress we made this year was unreal but when JBM tries out new players in League we wont know how good they are or if they are up to it until first round of championship. We are years behind most other hurling counties in terms of development squads. We have alot of clubs in Cork, we are a big county with a big population. I would be hopeful in that regard that Cork can put a good team together and be back competing again each year in the future.
    We badly need Silverware. Nothing since 2006 is an unbelievable Stat for Cork hurling. Thats the 3rd replay we have lost since 2007 in Championship. Lost League Final and Munster Final 2010. League Final 2012, Lost relegation playoff 2013 and Munster and All Ireland 2013. We need to end this losing streak soon.

The development squads hurling are doing now v good,the problem is there is no progression of their managers to minor etc ,instead clowns get the job and it becomes a circus.

The draw for the 2014 Championship will be on RTE 2 Thursday at 7pm if any one wants to record or watch it.

I don't think there's going to be any soft draws in Munster or Leinster for the hurling next year.

In the football Cork will be guaranteed a munster final pairing with Kerry. And if Cork win as they nearly always do when playing Kerry in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in championship, they can look forward to a semi-final pairing with Mayo as it's Connaught v Munster this year. So, it looks like Cork will have have to beat Kerry, Mayo and Dublin if they want to win Sam.

Long story short, it's not going to be easy for the hurlers or the footballers next year!!!

Avoid clare tipp in the hurling.

The football ,id be depending n maoagement make up ,winning munster is doable.

Dublin are a fine team and cd do back to back bt its hard todo.

Mayo arent as bad people say and their dangerous.

You wanted an outside coach with expirence from other counties.

Ed coughlan,a barrs man,skill coach kick passing etc and strenguh conditinong with mayo the last 3 years,now in ul,and worked proffessional athles in england.

He with donie buckley main men with horan.

Cuthbhert cd get him,ricken maybee part time,and james o donovan and ronan mccarthy be a fine set up.

• Advertisement

Ed coughlan,a barrs man,skill coach kick passing etc and strenguh conditinong with mayo the last 3 years,now in ul,and worked proffessional athles in england.

Cuthbhert cd get him,ricken maybee part time,and james o donovan and ronan mccarthy be a fine set up.
    I couldn't argue with that line up. Sounds like a bit of a dream ticket with the exception of Cuthbert. But sure everyone has got to start some where. He could be another Mick O'Dwyer or Brian Cody! Afterall Cork have not lacked physical fitness, but I think the basic skills of the game were neglected under Counihan. Basic kick passing, handling and tackling needs to be improved dramatically. After that, you just need a philosophy change and maybe Cuthbert can provide that. Cork can play Mayo's game even better than Mayo. I'm talking about pressure high up the pitch, players running at pace and getting that pass on the run instead of being static and passing backwards. If that is mixed with some direct kick passing and ball winning in the full forward line it could prove to be a lethal combination. Dublin,Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone aren't able to win high ball inside. Donegal is about the only other full forward line that can do that. It's a ploy that should be used in an overarching attack plan and should only be used if varied. Not like Dublin this year when it was the only plan of attack.

I was listening to Eugene McGee on Championship Sunday on Today Fm this morning. He doesn't think Dublin will win 5 in a row or anything like that. He believes it's impossible to dominate the game in the modern era. I'm inclined to agree with him. But when you look at the teams that will challenge Dublin next year it's hard to see any other team except Cork being able to match the champions. Kerry are not going to be a better team next year. Mayo are still short a few forwards. Donegal are unlikely to come back next year and be as good as 2012 and I don't think it's worth even considering Tyrone. Cork have the players. Cork could realistically employ any system they wanted with the players that are on the panel. So, a good management team will be key.

I don't think JBM would mind meeting Clare in Munster again next year. I don't think Clare are unbeatable. I think teams will queue up to take them on. And back in 1999 when Cork won Munster and Liam McCarthy, they were chomping at the bit to end Clare's dominance. That was serious motivation. I wouldn't like to meet Tipp though. They will be smarting after this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'm a bit disappointed for Cork, could go like Limerick and wait a long time for an all ireland now.

This was the year to do it, but Clare were much better, no doubt about that. Credit to cork that they stuck in there, lesser teams would have folded.

If we got Waterford or Limerick it would be better than Tipp or Clare but then again I wouldn't mind meeting either teams. If we got to a Munster Final and it's played in Semple Stadium, we would be in with a good shout.

Cork homecoming tngt,at five ish.

Im gutted bt have to miss the football,got to be their lads tngt,need us more than ever.

Home last night,at least didnt have to buy ladies ticket in advance.

I knw its awful on the ladies but our lads need a big turnout.

Ill try make ladies tommorrow.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed for Cork, could go like Limerick and wait a long time for an all ireland now.

This was the year to do it, but Clare were much better, no doubt about that. Credit to cork that they stuck in there, lesser teams would have folded.

Conceding 5 goals was the killer. 3 in 20 minutes. Poor defending for those 3 goals. You dont deserve to win when you leave in 5 goals in an All Ireland Final lets be realistic. Who knows what way it would have ended if they didn't go in. Clare better team though and probably should have won it the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Conceding 5 goals was the killer. 3 in 20 minutes. Poor defending for those 3 goals. You dont deserve to win when you leave in 5 goals in an All Ireland Final lets be realistic. Who knows what way it would have ended if they didn't go in. Clare better team though and probably should have won it the first day.

Yep you've no business winning an AI final when you concede 5 goals, and realistically the first 3 put Clare in the driving seat. And they were in the driving seat in the first game too. Full value for their win.

I couldn't argue with that line up. Sounds like a bit of a dream ticket with the exception of Cuthbert. But sure everyone has got to start some where. He could be another Mick O'Dwyer or Brian Cody! Afterall Cork have not lacked physical fitness, but I think the basic skills of the game were neglected under Counihan. Basic kick passing, handling and tackling needs to be improved dramatically. After that, you just need a philosophy change and maybe Cuthbert can provide that. Cork can play Mayo's game even better than Mayo. I'm talking about pressure high up the pitch, players running at pace and getting that pass on the run instead of being static and passing backwards. If that is mixed with some direct kick passing and ball winning in the full forward line it could prove to be a lethal combination. Dublin,Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone aren't able to win high ball inside. Donegal is about the only other full forward line that can do that. It's a ploy that should be used in an overarching attack plan and should only be used if varied. Not like Dublin this year when it was the only plan of attack.

I was listening to Eugene McGee on Championship Sunday on Today Fm this morning. He doesn't think Dublin will win 5 in a row or anything like that. He believes it's impossible to dominate the game in the modern era. I'm inclined to agree with him. But when you look at the teams that will challenge Dublin next year it's hard to see any other team except Cork being able to match the champions. Kerry are not going to be a better team next year. Mayo are still short a few forwards. Donegal are unlikely to come back next year and be as good as 2012 and I don't think it's worth even considering Tyrone. Cork have the players. Cork could realistically employ any system they wanted with the players that are on the panel. So, a good management team will be key.

I don't think JBM would mind meeting Clare in Munster again next year. I don't think Clare are unbeatable. I think teams will queue up to take them on. And back in 1999 when Cork won Munster and Liam McCarthy, they were chomping at the bit to end Clare's dominance. That was serious motivation. I wouldn't like to meet Tipp though. They will be smarting after this year.

Clare dnt drink,wnt get carried away and have a panel.Tipp would be ideal clare as clare would have hunger and be up it,against limerick waterford ,the edge maytbe off.
    I bet you Davy doesnt fear anyone,he wants kk and tipp next year.

Clare beat them at underage want to beat them senior now.
    In thurles we cd beat clare but a lot depends on who we find.

Every year,sweetnaham and harnedy we had a bolter with jbm.

We need one next year again.

Its been great year,lads lets stay with this team ,dnt give up on them yet.

Yes we have problems ,but jesus cant c us waiting 40 years,take seven off thats 33,to win one.

A bit of common sense ffs.

Most of the county board hardly be their in 33 years.They control everything,they cnt control the ageing proccess.

With due respect dnt compare us to limerick,terms wait for an all ireland.

Yes we have problems ,but jesus cant c us waiting 40 years,take seven off thats 33,to win one.

Most of the county board hardly be their in 33 years.They control everything,they cnt control the ageing proccess.

I don't think we'll be waiting as long as Limerick. Cork will not go that long without silverware. Let's put yesterday's game and Clare's achievement in context. Clare have only won 4 All-Irelands in their history. It was their first All-Ireland in 16 years. In that 16 years Cork have won 3 in 1999, 2004 and 2005 and have won 5 Munster titles. Clare last won Munster in 1998. That is certainly something that Davy will use to motivate his players next year. Clare could win another 4 or 5 All-Irelands and maybe it could go the other way, they might never win another. There are no certainties or guarantees in sport.

the years don't be long sneaking away ;)

• Advertisement

Also, Clare haven't a chance in hell of dominating Munster. With Cork, Tipperary and Limerick and to a lesser extent Waterford, Clare will find it hard to beat 2 or 3 of them depending on how the draw goes in any given year

Also, Clare haven't a chance in hell of dominating Munster. With Cork, Tipperary and Limerick and to a lesser extent Waterford, Clare will find it hard to beat 2 or 3 of them depending on how the draw goes in any given year

Very true, winning munster next year will be as hard as winning the all ireland

Very true, winning munster next year will be as hard as winning the all ireland
    Exactly. I'm not having a go at Clare or undermining their achievement. But hurling is extremely competitive at the moment and it will be hard to win Munster, Leinster and ultimately the All-Ireland next year. Simple as that!

the years don't be long sneaking away ;)

Limerick are nothing like us.Dnt be a fool in fairness,wind up cork on a day like today.Limerick unlike cork suffer disease me ,think their better than they are.Ye have talent ,but thats all it is for now.

We have characther,steel resolve that ye couldnt compare with us.Ye had a glourious chance,ye ****ed up.

We had a panel shorn key players and illness and beat kk and dublin.

Ye wouldnt beaten them.Lucky to beat a 14 man cork team,ye made it look like torture,ye couldnt finish us off with an extra man.

We had an inept board yet we got to the final.Frank wnt be there or hes disciples in 33 years.

When their gone we get procatvie board we will be fine.

We know we have problems.Limerick fail to accept theirs,go on overdrive with a meaningless munster and still convince themselves that they cd beat clare.

At least we gave every inch to clare,and made them earn it.Ye were beaten before ye took the field.

Jbm will get this team an all ireland.

Exactly. I'm not having a go at Clare or undermining their achievement. But hurling is extremely competitive at the moment and it will be hard to win Munster, Leinster and ultimately the All-Ireland next year. Simple as that!

Davy talk the talk,but all ireland is hes goal.What cam munster win do this team?nothing.

He wil want to beat tipp,but after that al ireland is hes goal.

They are a team thrive on lots games.

Cork shouldnt care win munster,get to the final wil do.

Munster unfortunately is meaningless in the bigger scheme of things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Gutted to lose yesterday. I thought at ht having conceded 3 goals but only being 4pts down that we were going to be there or there abouts. Came into the game well in the second half, had the chance to take the lead but missed it, a real pity.

We could have won yesterday but no one can deny that the better team won - Clare are champions and worthy champions at that.

Luke should be a sub and only a sub. He has a distinct lack of physicality and it really showed up again yesterday, Egan will have better days as will O'Neill - maybe not at full back. I would like to see a few players retire now - Naughton especially, and see Cahalane/Walsh/Sheehan among others play hurling next year.

I was there for both the hurling finals and I am glad I was. 2 of the finest games of hurling I have witnessed - having the intensity and the need to sit at the edge of the seat throughout both of them. Hurling is the finest and most skillful sport out there and yesterday confirmed this yet again.

Very proud of the players this year, more so of JBM. I doubt if there is a manager out there more liked than him - a legend and a gent. He shows exactly how you should win And lose....others could learn a lot from him.

I've a sore head and a sore throat but I'll still be shouting for the ladies later.....the finest team I've ever seen....Really hope they get the win they deserve today!

Limerick are nothing like us.Dnt be a fool in fairness,wind up cork on a day like today.Limerick unlike cork suffer disease me ,think their better than they are.Ye have talent ,but thats all it is for now.

We have characther,steel resolve that ye couldnt compare with us.Ye had a glourious chance,ye ****ed up.

We had a panel shorn key players and illness and beat kk and dublin.

Ye wouldnt beaten them.Lucky to beat a 14 man cork team,ye made it look like torture,ye couldnt finish us off with an extra man.

We had an inept board yet we got to the final.Frank wnt be there or hes disciples in 33 years.

When their gone we get procatvie board we will be fine.

We know we have problems.Limerick fail to accept theirs,go on overdrive with a meaningless munster and still convince themselves that they cd beat clare.

At least we gave every inch to clare,and made them earn it.Ye were beaten before ye took the field.

Jbm will get this team an all ireland.

I've no intentions of getting into a Limk-cork squabble. I like cork, I want to them to win an AI asap. All I'm saying is, the longer it goes, the harder it becomes.

I would have thought that All-Irelands were more important than Munster titles but John Mullane has said a few times that if he had to choose playing in Munster final in Thurles was always more important to him than Croke Park for an All-Ireland final. Maybe he said that because he won Munster titles but never won an All-Ireland medal. I doubt that though. I think there are alot of players who really do value the Munster championship. It's got a special aura that the other provincial competitions do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Saw an interesting tweet yesterday; how many of these players would realistically make themselves available next year?
    Cork will be back. Aidan Walsh, Colm O'Neill, Ciaran Sheehan, Damien Cahalane and Eoin Cadogan will surely hurl next year

• Advertisement

I've no intentions of getting into a Limk-cork squabble. I like cork, I want to them to win an AI asap. All I'm saying is, the longer it goes, the harder it becomes.

Well the longer it goes on the more special it will become when we finally break the barrier. I do think we will be waiting a bit longer now than Cork teams of the past. We need more quality players in our panel. Sweetnam was a huge loss to Cork. We should have enough good hurlers in the county but finding them is the problem. JBM found a few players this year, he needs to find more in the next two years. Next year will be a bridge too far for Cork but hopefully in 2015 we will be back with a team that can go all the way. Heres hoping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement