Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Saw an interesting tweet yesterday; how many of these players would realistically make themselves available next year?

Couldnt see it happening with a new management setup for the Cork footballers. I think we would need all of those players in the hurling setup for next year if we had any realistic chances of strengthening our panel. Pity we couldnt have Sweetnam back too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Amprodude wrote: »
    Couldnt see it happening with a new management setup for the Cork footballers. I think we would need all of those players in the hurling setup for next year if we had any realistic chances of strengthening our panel. Pity we couldnt have Sweetnam back too.

I think the pressure some of them felt from Counihan being gone could lead them to coming back or some of them playing both codes. They might not have to 'choose' one or the other with Cuthbert, time will tell. If 2 or more did and throw in O'Sullivan's return from injury and we would have some fine options. There will undoubtedly be 1 or 2 new players break into the quad aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I would have thought that All-Irelands were more important than Munster titles but John Mullane has said a few times that if he had to choose playing in Munster final in Thurles was always more important to him than Croke Park for an All-Ireland final. Maybe he said that because he won Munster titles but never won an All-Ireland medal. I doubt that though. I think there are alot of players who really do value the Munster championship. It's got a special aura that the other provincial competitions do not.
    Times have changed,its like the Euro doesnt hold the same market value compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I think Cadogan and maybe Cahalane might hurl next year. I can't see Walsh, Sheehan or O'Neill going hurling though. I think this year they proved that their first loyalty is to football. The same question could be asked about alot of the Dublin footballers. How many of them will hurl next year. Ciaran Kilkenny, Tomas Brady, Cormac Costelloe, Diarmuid Connolly, Rory O'Carroll?

Realistically I think all of the provincial championships have all passed their sell by date. I think it's a bit silly that Cork beat Clare in Munster and have to meet them in a final. It makes a mockery of championship. I would be happy to have the provincials scrapped and even bring in round robin or champions league format but that won't happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Realistically I think all of the provincial championships have all passed their sell by date. I think it's a bit silly that Cork beat Clare in Munster and have to meet them in a final. It makes a mockery of championship. I would be happy to have the provincials scrapped and even bring in round robin or champions league format but that won't happen

To be honest I think the current hurling championship structure works quite well. Even a bloated round robin/champions league format wouldn't discount the possibility of Cork beating Clare in a group game in June only to go on and lose to them in the final in September.

Edit; Let's just say Limerick had beaten Clare in the semi final, and Cork defeated Limerick in the final; can you honestly say you would feel the same way if it played out like that? Would it still make a mockery if Cork beat Limerick in the final after losing to them in Munster?

To be honest I think the current hurling championship structure works quite well. Even a bloated round robin/champions league format wouldn't discount the possibility of Cork beating Clare in a group game in June only to go on and lose to them in the final in September.
    That is true. Teams would be able to meet a second time. But the provincial structures work at the moment in Munster because it's competitive. And they worked in Leinster this year, but for a long time Leinster was a bit silly. Kilkenny realistically could peak for an All-Ireland semi-final and final while teams in Munster beat the s***e out of each other

I think hurling is slightly different because of its structure. Liam McCarthy is a competition that has only 14 teams to begin with, but in the football I think it's been a bit farcical that teams can and do meet twice. For instance Cork and Kerry for a few years meeting in Munster and then having to meet again to win an All-Ireland. In 2011 Kerry would have met Cork and Limerick twice each if Cork beat Mayo in their quarter-final.

Saw an interesting tweet yesterday; how many of these players would realistically make themselves available next year?
    When are people going to wake up and smell the coffee with ciaran sheehan.He aint going to play hurling next year,and walsh said he will but not when hes in dublin next year.Thats what he said,a fact.

Cahalane wont ,no Ifs and maybees,hes having a hip operation after next sunday,on both hips,wnt be playing til march,so No way will he do both.

He will do well to get back to top form.

Colm o neill,No No No.

Next people will say bring back tomas o leary,setanta,or get jbm to tog out,or bring back david meyler from england.

Denis walsh lost aidan to hurling.

Forget it,stupid to even think this.A man thats had three cruciates,will do well to last a season injury free,nt to mind playing hurling a week after.Forget it.

Cadogan is the only viable option,with alan on the panel next year.

Forget bout the rest.What we need to do is protect duals players future,like michael cahalane,jamie wall,mark sugrue, killan o connor.They need to be kept hurling.

The amount of rubbish before the game that sheehan and walsh were training was just bull.

That was never an option.Sheehan i still dont rate a better hurler than walsh.

Sweetnahm was a savage loss but he wanted to play professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

That is true. Teams would be able to meet a second time. But the provincial structures work at the moment in Munster because it's competitive. And they worked in Leinster this year, but for a long time Leinster was a bit silly. Kilkenny realistically could peak for an All-Ireland semi-final and final while teams in Munster beat the s***e out of each other

Yep fair point, but thankfully Leinster has gotten a bit competitive in the meantime.

Unfortunately, the only truly fair format is the old one- non backdoor knockout format, but I think most of us would agree that that would be a big step backwards at this stage.

I think Cadogan and maybe Cahalane might hurl next year. I can't see Walsh, Sheehan or O'Neill going hurling though. I think this year they proved that their first loyalty is to football. The same question could be asked about alot of the Dublin footballers. How many of them will hurl next year. Ciaran Kilkenny, Tomas Brady, Cormac Costelloe, Diarmuid Connolly, Rory O'Carroll?

Cahalane Out til march ,not a hope will he hurl next year.Af er a hip op,like kelly and jamie c ,he wil do v well to get back to top form.

Its two hips and the cartilge also.People nd to be realistic,nt a hope in hell.

• Advertisement

Yep fair point, but thankfully Leinster has gotten a bit competitive in the meantime.

Unfortunately, the only truly fair format is the old one- non backdoor knockout format, but I think most of us would agree that that would be a big step backwards at this stage.
    I wouldn't agree with the old system either because I believe that the 2 best teams in the country should meet in the final. And this year, the 2 best teams in the country were both Munster teams. Cork and Clare were the definitely the two best teams.

Cahalane Out til march ,not a hope will he hurl next year.Af er a hip op,like kelly and jamie c ,he wil do v well to get back to top form.

Its two hips and the cartilge also.People nd to be realistic,nt a hope in hell.

To be honest, Cork mgmt need to find new and quality players like Harnedy this year. He was unheard of by most people until this year. I do believe there are hurlers in the county that are good enough but need time.

Cadogan alone with paudie would help,as tom the bomb wnt be their.Cadogan offers cover at full and half.

Michael cahalane,spillane, callaghao,alan cadogan ,leigh desmond at the very worst would make a better bench than bud,mark ellis,cussen,and naughton.

Rob o shea deserves games,and so does david drake back from america.

I wonder bt temperament drake but the man has the skill.

Playing mickey mouse teams in div 2 bar limerick wont help.

Cadogan alone with paudie would help,as tom the bomb wnt be their.Cadogan offers cover at full and half.

Michael cahalane,spillane, callaghao,alan cadogan ,leigh desmond at the very worst would make a better bench than bud,mark ellis,cussen,and naughton.

Rob o shea deserves games,and so does david drake back from america.

I wonder bt temperament drake but the man has the skill.

Playing mickey mouse teams in div 2 bar limerick wont help.
    Is Cussen really that bad?

Shocking. If the sliotar was covered with glue he still wouldnt be able to pick it up. Really bad for Cork hurling when he is making the standard.

To be honest, Cork mgmt need to find new and quality players like Harnedy this year. He was unheard of by most people until this year. I do believe there are hurlers in the county that are good enough but need time.
    Again thats a myth that people cling to.
    He wasnt unheard of at all.
    He was impressive at underage schools but our brains trust coudnt pick hes nose not to mind a player.

He was picked out by landers at 14 as hes related to the mum,cathy,and he knew he had it.

In 2011 he had blisters in hes hole due to the fact he sat on the bench in every game,cdnt get one minute of game time.

Everyone knew the guy existed.

I said in june,before he pucked a ball he was raw,but one for the future, and was the key player for cork if we had to win.

That wasnt just me.Ask any cork fan goes schools club games,harnedy name stood out.

The talent is their ,we dnt have to look that hard.The problem is its overlooked by club politics and clueless management.

Cahalane is the same,eoghan kinery.Savage talents but if the wrong manager is their they wnt be picked as they from small clubs.

Herihly from mallow a savage talent coudnt get minor team last year,yet unreal in both minor and u21 county finals mallow lost.

Newtown should beat kilworth tuesday,set up u21 final with a very good mallow,with heirhly, luttrell,harkin and killan o connor etc.

People should go and c that.You will c how good luttrell herihly are,and why o connor is a full back,yet Keneally picked him as a centre back.

Kenneally overlooked all of the above or picked them out of position.

Best of luck to the cork ladies bring the cup home.

Ah lad i like you;-)
    But dont go there.

I honestly wouldn't know. I just assumed he might be able to contribute something because of his size, or at least create a bit of bother for defenders. I didn't realise he was that bad so

Shocking. If the sliotar was covered with glue he still wouldnt be able to pick it up. Really bad for Cork hurling when he is making the standard.
    He walks around the ptich like hes the bees knees.

As a hurler hes a bit like "all fur coat no knickers".

No steel,no bite,compared to the clare lads .

Look at the tenacity,kelly,collins,,bulger etc compared to him.

He wouldnt lace harnedy boots yet has 6 inches on him.

Again thats a myth that people cling to.
    He wasnt unheard of at all.
    He was impressive at underage schools but our brains trust coudnt pick hes nose not to mind a player.

He was picked out by landers at 14 as hes related to the mum,cathy,and he knew he had it.

In 2011 he had blisters in hes hole due to the fact he sat on the bench in every game,cdnt get one minute of game time.

Everyone knew the guy existed.

I said in june,before he pucked a ball he was raw,but one for the future, and was the key player for cork if we had to win.

That wasnt just me.Ask any cork fan goes schools club games,harnedy name stood out.

The talent is their ,we dnt have to look that hard.The problem is its overlooked by club politics and clueless management.

Cahalane is the same,eoghan kinery.Savage talents but if the wrong manager is their they wnt be picked as they from small clubs.

Herihly from mallow a savage talent coudnt get minor team last year,yet unreal in both minor and u21 county finals mallow lost.

Newtown should beat kilworth tuesday,set up u21 final with a very good mallow,with heirhly, luttrell,harkin and killan o connor etc.

People should go and c that.You will c how good luttrell herihly are,and why o connor is a full back,yet Keneally picked him as a centre back.

Kenneally overlooked all of the above or picked them out of position.

Best of luck to the cork ladies bring the cup home.

I had heard of him but many gaa people outside of Cork didnt. He is a super player.

• Advertisement

U beauty valerie sum goal

Fair play rg15 the flags n the hill looking unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

U beauty valerie sum goal

Fair play rg15 the flags n the hill looking unreal.

good game so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Congrats to the Cork ladies, feel sorry for Monaghan, talk about a pressure kick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Cork Ladies Football team are the best Cork GAA team I've had the pleasure to watch in my lifetime.

8 All Irelands in 9 years - simply phenominal. Juliet Murphy take a bow girl, take a bow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Hard luck to yere lads yesterday. Ye were part of one of the great all Ireland finals and just came out on the wrong side of it, I actually thought ye were going to push on in the second half the way ye started and win it but our lads showed what the were made of to come back and win out in the end. I was sitting beside a few Cork lads and had great banter with them throughout, nice honest people. I still cant believe Nash goaled with 12 lads on the line, some shot!!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Cork Ladies Football team are the best Cork GAA team I've had the pleasure to watch in my lifetime.

8 All Irelands in 9 years - simply phenominal. Juliet Murphy take a bow girl, take a bow.

Only saw twenty min ,but heard cork won.

Unreal ,a superb team,well coached.

Great for north cork and duallow,well represented.I hear juilet got a sublime score,a captains score.

Now is the time to retire for a few of them,go out on a high.Sum team,credit to all ,management ,players and their loyal supporters.

One of Corks greatest teams without a doubt and eammon ryan one of our greatest managers.

Id say RG15 is in merryland.Delighted for her,she travelled over for it,dedication for yeah.

**** it its great to be from cork,not many can loose an all ireland senior on the sat,but then win one on the sunday.

Cork by the Grace of God.

Rebels abu,proud ladies,equally proud of the hurlers,take a bow eammon, ,and jbm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'm in heaven!! What a team, what a game! I couldn't watch the last five minutes, the last kick shouldn't have been a free - the Monaghan girl had fouled the ball beforehand.

Into Croke Park today at 9am, what a long day! I'll post again, just heading from Croke Park to the team hotel.

I'm in heaven!! What a team, what a game! I couldn't watch the last five minutes, the last kick shouldn't have been a free - the Monaghan girl had fouled the ball beforehand.

Into Croke Park today at 9am, what a long day! I'll post again, just heading from Croke Park to the team hotel.

Our ladies are brillant. Dont think Cork GAA teams have produced anything like this group of players. 8 in 9 years is some achivement.

The homecoming was pathetic, was a dismal crowd at it.I said last wk their would.I stayed for jbm ,speeches ,that was it.Players looked emply,yeah didnt want be there,bt doesnt help when you look down and c half empty street.

This team deserved more .Realistcally never contenders for a munster even,people are fickle and eaten bread soon forgotten.

Jbm said all managers say we will win an all ireland that team.Anynwne else said it water of a ducks back.

Jbm ,you are inclined to belief.He has earned that trust and belief in fairness.

I dunno what it is,but im nt as gutted as o3 or o6,as the realistion is we never thought we were going to win in jan.

People must look at where we came from,what we had to deal with,we must appreciate what we achieved.

Our footballer underachieved with all ireland medal winners and a strong panel,the hurlers overachie ued.

I plead with cork fans to keep that in mind.I dnt c why we should be too despondent.

• Advertisement

Our ladies are brillant. Dont think Cork GAA teams have produced anything like this group of players. 8 in 9 years is some achivement.

Our hurling team in the 40,s and the 76 team,the u21 football in 84 ,85 etc and now the ladies are a minority that have wm 3 in a row in any grade,in cork gaa,so we must acknowledge another three in a row by them.

I say they get a poor homecoming,tngt anything go by.

The ladies deserve great credit.

The sunday game dnt do them justice,yest should bn a longer programme with the hurling,and today purely the ladies,all they got was 25 minutess frm what i saw.

Juliet great point.What a save from harte,i dnt blame her for the kickout,the monaghan forward read it well .

Sum team .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement