Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

And all the talk he was hurling next year in the papers,completelly blown out of proportion.

That was never even considered id say.

The guy is irreplacable.Dark days ahead for cork football,the u21 team are the only ray of light.

We look destined to loose kelly to injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Ciaran Sheehan gone playing Aussie rules!

And everyone worried he'd go hurling!

Its because it was is a new manager - if Counihan had still been there, then these retirements would have been out long ago. Lads felt that it was better to keep quiet until the new man was in place
    Thats true.

But if they were going,youd think it wouldnt have mattered who was in place,say it after the dublin game.

Sheehan going?if cleary was their would he went.

He may be not liked what he saw.

I said it here,a lot of people underwhelmed with the management set up.

And now so many gone,they will be given plenty of time.

I gurantee you,they well get more than two years win or loose,4 is a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

When do u ever see players reacting to new management teams on twitter? Sure it'd look silly some of em welcoming a new man in even before an extended panel has been announced and they might not be on it.
    And we'll never know if Sheehan would've made an inter county hurler. He might've been excellent, who knows!

slingerz wrote: »
    Ciaran Sheehan gone playing Aussie rules!

And everyone worried he'd go hurling!
    I never wanted him to go hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

The positive for ye it's a new manager and he was always going to need a while build a new team, bring in new faces whatever

However, while the retirements are bad, nothing compares to the loss of Sheehan. Any chances ye have of winning Sam in 2014 are gone IMHO, however with a year or two to build a new team ye should be serious contenders again in not so long. Can't emphasise how big a loss Sheehan is though

Cork football is in for few bleak years imo.

Don't panic yet. Ye haven't a hope of winning sam in 2014 now really, but it should be used as an opportunity to bring in new lads IMo and the likes of Collins, O'Rourke, Wall, Hurley, Cahalane should steadily improve and build on the experience they gained last year. Ye'll be contenders again in not so long- ye've a huge pick

Ye could well still win Munster tbh, given ye've Kerry at home

Is there still a chance O'Connor could go and Walsh migrate to hurling? If so then it's disaster yes

Horse84 wrote: »
    When do u ever see players reacting to new management teams on twitter? Sure it'd look silly some of em welcoming a new man in even before an extended panel has been announced and they might not be on it.
    And we'll never know if Sheehan would've made an inter county hurler. He might've been excellent, who knows!

Kerrigan last week welcomed the management team in the paper.No one else did.

I said two wks ago that a lot of people were underwhelmed by cuthhbert over cleary.

Things have gone considerably bad for cork football in the last 24 hours.

We are looking to be a top 8 team at best,forget munster title next year.

Cahalane,o neill,cahalane have huge injury doubts over them.Will they be injury free.

If i was cadogan,id join the brother,he was always a hurler.

And even without Ger they have a much better chance of an all ireland.

Corks never made hay the last two years,we lost a golden oppurtinty.Tough times,stormy waters ahead.

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Don't panic yet. Ye haven't a hope of winning sam in 2014 now really, but it should be used as an opportunity to bring in new lads IMo and the likes of Collins, O'Rourke, Wall, Hurley, Cahalane should steadily improve and build on the experience they gained last year. Ye'll be contenders again in not so long- ye've a huge pick

Ye could well still win Munster tbh, given ye've Kerry at home

Is there still a chance O'Connor could go and Walsh migrate to hurling? If so then it's disaster yes
    Walsh is a done deal,hurling next year.

We have not a hope next year.

Walsh is a done deal,hurling next year.

We have not a hope next year.

Well that's not good at all

Pearse was ye're best player v Galway IMO

Na ye def won't win in in 2014 but don't lose the faith yet for the near future after that!

Ye'll still prob win one before us :o

ALthough, this all could play into our hands given we meet Munster winners in semi...

• Advertisement

Who will be midfield? Any chance O'Connor will go too??

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

That is a real sickner to hear Sheehan going to play Aussie rules. He's just such a fantastic talent and I still don't think we've seen the best of him. At 22 I'm sure he was only going to improve and get better.

I don't think now is the time to criticise Cuthbert for the retirements of 5 players. In truth, all 5 players were past their best. While each of the 5 players might have been able to contribute next year, they certainly wouldn't be in the long term plans of any new manager, and that would have been true of Cleary too. I'm sure Cuthbert had private conversations with all 5 players and let them know where they stood. In fact I think it was very diplomatic of Cuthbert to allow those players to announce retirements before being dropped from the panel. JBM never gave any such luxury to Dónal Óg, Seán Óg or John Gardner last year. This highlighted his ruthlessness which is a necessary trait in all good managers.

Cork weren't good enough to win an All-Ireland with Canty, P O'Neill, Kissane, O'Leary or Quirke last year or in 2012 or 2011. The only real loss so far is Sheehan. It's long past due to bring in fresh talent. Conor Counihan stayed on too long as Cork manager, things got very stale and I'm sure that if there was a more progressive manager in place changes would have been made over the last year or two which would have involved players being gradually phased out. Cork's hopes of All-Ireland success in 2014 are very much still alive but the road ahead will be very tricky. Remember that Cahalane and Kelly will have to go for hip operations of the winter. They won't be able to play any part in the league. The league campaign will be a tricky one to navigate with alot of personnel changes and an anticipated change in style of play, Cuthbert will need to hit the ground running and show leadership.

There is one other point I'd like to make. I wonder if the departure of Canty, P O'Neill, Kissane, O'Leary has more to do with the style of play that Cuthbert intends to use with Cork in 2014 than the age of the players. If you look at each of those four players, there was a tendency among them all to put the head down, solo and drive forward with the ball which suited Counihan's running game. This nearly always meant that forwards were closely marked ever before the ball arrived. Cuthbert may be more likely to adopt a more free flowing game, more off the cuff with quick ball being kick passed out of defense and given into the forward line. Even if those four players remained I don't think it is in their nature to be able to play that style of game. P O'Neill is a good example. He was a powerful runner with the ball, a great tactic, but teams need to vary approaches and have different options. I think Cuthbert will look to vary Cork's attack as much as possible. For instance, Colm O'Neill and Brian Hurley would make a fantastic 2 man full forward line, O'Neill can catch high ball, and Hurley is excellent at winning dirty ball and both can score points for fun with both legs. This would allow Cuthbert to drop back an extra man to the middle third area to combat a team like Dublin who have excellent runners from their half back line.

Sickened ,jesus that a huge blow.

The most athltetic,dynamic,and natural footballer we have with pace,power and creativity ,and scoring skills, a huge huge loss. I wish him the best and he must do whats best for him.When kerry get tommy walsh back from down under we loose our best player. At a time when we heard rubbish that he would be a top hurler,we never saw this. Id wonder why timing of all six in a wk goes. They are valid reasons but is a statement in that none have faith in the management set up. Not bar one player has anyone tweeted since to say their confident in the new set up. If cleary who is highley regared by the players,was manager which he should have been would that kept sheehan at home.?

An offer to australia or stay at home to play under an unproven set up,it is easy to see what you would choose. Something doesnt seem right.

you must love your conspiracy theories. the retirees all have plenty mileage on the clock and either wanted to go themselves or were told by Cuthbert that he wanted to bring the team in a new direction and give youth its fling.

As for Ciaran, the offer from Australia has been there with years. He has chosen to go now while he is still 22 in order to give himself a chance to succeed at it or else return home and still have a GAA career ahead of him. Its a personal decision that he has to make in his best interests not in Cork GAA's and the best of luck to him
    5'10 is what it says on Cork site.

Harnedy always had underage talent,you seen to be like many ,that just cause our u21 genuis of a manager or minor did not pick him ,they believe the myth ,Harnedy was a mushroom,he came overnight. Rubbish,complete rubbish. I remember seeing schools matches pobail na scoil and harnedy was earmarked as a talent. The fact Ger fitz had him in the u21 panel,means were aware of him ,but still prefferred to play their club man instead, with haughney. Harnedy developed under Ger cunnigham at ucc,and Jbm, but the talent was always their even so much so in 2011 ,in mallow in a challenge match ,Denis walsh had started him against Lit,under davy fitz ,in a game under lights.

That was a cork development squad,with a lot of seniors playing.They gave him about 30 minutes. Ffs what can you do in 30 mins. The fact was he was known though. But like Aidan walsh never given a chance. It will be the same with the cork u 21 team this year,under kenneally.Guys that arent picked or play badly like cadogan etc will suddenly fly at senior level,and people will say,their late developers. Just comple rubbish,its down to poor management they had at underage and nothing else.

I agree with pearse o neill,but he was a strong,powerful presence,but that day is gone.He was ideal for cork a few years ago. However he is not a scorer in chief or creator like we have no. Don't make me laugh,hes top scorer and will start for Muskerry,that doesnt mean hes good enough for Cork.
    Shane beston is a top player for mtichelstown and an automatic starter for years at Avondhu,and this sunday could probably beat St colums on he's own on he's day in the junior final. But like shorten ,hes just at that level,even tompkins coaching beston wont convert him to Intercounty standard. Beston was a cork junior also.And done a job many a day.Eoin o Mahony is a cork junior but as proven in this years league and intermediate final,a good club player but not at the next level. At junior for cork against kildare, shorten did pop up ,two years ago with good points,but he didn't blitz kildare or become unmarkable against a sub standard defence. Shorten is 25,he hasn't done it then,nothing to say he can now.Go through the county,and you will see guys like masters, cian o riordain ,barry o driscoll, denis crowley etc,all super club men but not up to Inter county.

And masters and o driscoll are ten times better forwards than shorten.I admire your loyalty, shorten must be a club man or nearby .Thats fair enough.
    But Cork have Hurley,O neill,Mac Eoin ,Goulding,DOC, and Sheehan ,David Gould all proven top players at underage . John o rourke ,Donal og Hodnett can play inside or outside ,much better than shorten.Mark sugrue is on the panel,and still u21,is a much better prospect ,and hughley versalite. I have no doubt ,shorten will get scores for Muskerry or hes club ,but that is the same as naughton,cussen in the hurling,and mark o sullivan from 99 proved,being top top club players is fine,but there is another jump at Inter county level. Kieran o sullivan was banging in goals galore for illen rovers but couldn't make the step up to senior. Thats not anything against them,as i said fine club players.

But to say their senior Inter county standard is far fetched.

I dont believe that Shorten will ever be an all star or even a starter on the Cork football panel but you seem to think it was his physical attributes that got him selected when that couldnt be further from the truth. He's not big or strong and he is not blessed with blistering pace. He has consistently performed for his club, school and college and took his chance with the juniors. He'll never be more than a panel member in my eyes but he deserves his spot with them also.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    That is a real sickner to hear Sheehan going to play Aussie rules. He's just such a fantastic talent and I still don't think we've seen the best of him. At 22 I'm sure he was only going to improve and get better.

I don't think now is the time to criticise Cuthbert for the retirements of 5 players. In truth, all 5 players were past their best. While each of the 5 players might have been able to contribute next year, they certainly wouldn't be in the long term plans of any new manager, and that would have been true of Cleary too. I'm sure Cuthbert had private conversations with all 5 players and let them know where they stood. In fact I think it was very diplomatic of Cuthbert to allow those players to announce retirements before being dropped from the panel. JBM never gave any such luxury to Dónal Óg, Seán Óg or John Gardner last year. This highlighted his ruthlessness which is a necessary trait in all good managers.

Cork weren't good enough to win an All-Ireland with Canty, P O'Neill, Kissane, O'Leary or Quirke last year or in 2012 or 2011. The only real loss so far is Sheehan. It's long past due to bring in fresh talent. Conor Counihan stayed on too long as Cork manager, things got very stale and I'm sure that if there was a more progressive manager in place changes would have been made over the last year or two which would have involved players being gradually phased out. Cork's hopes of All-Ireland success in 2014 are very much still alive but the road ahead will be very tricky. Remember that Cahalane and Kelly will have to go for hip operations of the winter. They won't be able to play any part in the league. The league campaign will be a tricky one to navigate with alot of personnel changes and an anticipated change in style of play, Cuthbert will need to hit the ground running and show leadership.

There is one other point I'd like to make. I wonder if the departure of Canty, P O'Neill, Kissane, O'Leary has more to do with the style of play that Cuthbert intends to use with Cork in 2014 than the age of the players. If you look at each of those four players, there was a tendency among them all to put the head down, solo and drive forward with the ball which suited Counihan's running game. This nearly always meant that forwards were closely marked ever before the ball arrived. Cuthbert may be more likely to adopt a more free flowing game, more off the cuff with quick ball being kick passed out of defense and given into the forward line. Even if those four players remained I don't think it is in their nature to be able to play that style of game. P O'Neill is a good example. He was a powerful runner with the ball, a great tactic, but teams need to vary approaches and have different options. I think Cuthbert will look to vary Cork's attack as much as possible. For instance, Colm O'Neill and Brian Hurley would make a fantastic 2 man full forward line, O'Neill can catch high ball, and Hurley is excellent at winning dirty ball and both can score points for fun with both legs. This would allow Cuthbert to drop back an extra man to the middle third area to combat a team like Dublin who have excellent runners from their half back line.

I wouldnt discount Goulding and Hurley being the pair inside or Kerrigan for that matter. I do think that Cork will not play in an orthodox formation next year as they have done previously.

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Who will be midfield? Any chance O'Connor will go too??

He should but at this stage they probably beg him not to go.

Vaughan,laoire ,maguire,o driscoll are options.

Its not a case of a new manager.It is does he inspire the theam

The management set up is all wrong.Cuthbhert should have appointed top men in charge.He made the worst start,no one has a proven record even at club level.

Castlehaven dmt get any representive.Things are going to get worse in cork football.

The board be crying why theres no one at league games next year.When they were winning,crowds were not great,there wont be huge cork crowds next year, as people are underwhelmed with it now.Thats sad to c.

People looked up to cleary,nt sure cuthbhert is held in the same regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Christ thats awful that Sheehan is going to Australia. Lots of players retiring too we wont be in contention of winning an All Ireland again for along time im sad to say. I was looking forward to seeing Hurley and Sheehan playing together. Would have been some forward line but its not to be.

slingerz wrote: »
    you must love your conspiracy theories. the retirees all have plenty mileage on the clock and either wanted to go themselves or were told by Cuthbert that he wanted to bring the team in a new direction and give youth its fling.

As for Ciaran, the offer from Australia has been there with years. He has chosen to go now while he is still 22 in order to give himself a chance to succeed at it or else return home and still have a GAA career ahead of him. Its a personal decision that he has to make in his best interests not in Cork GAA's and the best of luck to him

I dont believe that Shorten will ever be an all star or even a starter on the Cork football panel but you seem to think it was his physical attributes that got him selected when that couldnt be further from the truth. He's not big or strong and he is not blessed with blistering pace. He has consistently performed for his club, school and college and took his chance with the juniors. He'll never be more than a panel member in my eyes but he deserves his spot with them also.

No conspiracory theory, i normally speak fact.

Yes most of those guys were going anyway but its the timing with sheehan.

Do you not think this management set up is not as ex players but proven managers are totally underwhelming.?

The dog on the street can see that.Taking away your dislike of Haven ,who you think was a better manager cuthcbert or cleary?

Michael maguire asked a simple ?at county board meeting ,why cleary did not get the job,Bob ryan didnt answer it.He said it was private and the boards decision.

A lot of people are not happy cleary was overlooked.

In regards shorten ,you thought he was the greatest man since the slice pan yesterday,blessed with skill.Me and you have different views on skill.

Now you backtrack.shorten is no where near good enough for the panel.

I gave you ten,minus sheehan we are down to nine,that are much better footballers than him.You didn't seem to disagree with any of them.

Shorten for cork,things are bad enough as it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No conspiracory theory, i normally speak fact.

Yes most of those guys were going anyway but its the timing with sheehan.

Do you not think this management set up is not as ex players but proven managers are totally underwhelming.?

The dog on the street can see that.Taking away your dislike of Haven ,who you think was a better manager cuthcbert or cleary?

This is the last year Sheehan is eligible for a place on an AFL team's rookie list, his last chance to go essentially.

Archer3083 wrote: »

Key with jbm,was he had a proven management team bar one selector,and had a top quality professional trainer to inspire the players.

The football set up is no where near the same and not one has proven success even at club.

Colm o neill wont play till April and huge doubts remain he wnt get injured again.
    Kerry have tommy walsh coming home and a better management team.Their laughing at us today.

Cork have no hope of an all ireland next year.Tyroyne,mayo,kerrry,donegal,dublin are ahead of us,and galway an meath have good managers that will get every last inch out of them.

The quote about Tommy coming home was a misrepresentation, he'll be around for the 2015 season, not the 2014 and that's only assuming he doesn't get another contract which is far from assured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Michael maguire asked a simple ?at county board meeting ,why cleary did not get the job,Bob ryan didnt answer it.He said it was private and the boards decision.

Have you ever ever heard of a county board or any other selection committee comment on a candidate that was overlooked? It would be completely inapropriate and I'm sure the decision was relayed to Cleary in private, where it belongs.

keane2097 wrote: »
    The quote about Tommy coming home was a misrepresentation, he'll be around for the 2015 season, not the 2014 and that's only assuming he doesn't get another contract which is far from assured.
    Fair enough ,a top player,unlucky with injuries.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Harty Cup half time Midleton CBS 2-5 Blackwater CS 0-10

Harty Cup half time Midleton CBS 2-5 Blackwater CS 0-10
    Are u at it?

Fair enough ,a top player,unlucky with injuries.

Yeah he's been a bit unlucky over there but it's a great experience all the same.

Lads like him coming back is great for the game in terms of training methods and mentality etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Are u at it?

I'm at work in London!!!!

Full time Midleton CBS 2-17 Blackwater CS 0-15

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

So that's a no then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Comhairle Iar Bhunscoileanna Na Mumhan Under 18 ½ Hurling Fixtures

Dr. Harty Cup Under 18½ A Hurling Championship

6/11/2013 @ 1:30pm unless stated differently

Midleton CBS 2-17 Blackwater CS 0-15

Rochestown 4-7 Nenagh CBS 1-10

Ardscoil Ris 2-24 St Flannans 1-10

DLS Waterford 2-10 St Colmans 1-11

• Advertisement

Sound you were ,would asked for a report.Due to another game tonight,i couldn't make this.

A fantastic win,against a much rated blackwater.

Their all but qualifed for the quater finals.
    What a week,seniors win,u21 will walk mallow saturday ,dean ryan cup final due,
    again a classic example of a good youth structure always pays off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement