Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

What about Getting back John Allen

I sincerly hope not.

Never any expierence as a "coaching drills guy etc.

Justin mccarthy would be suited to a coaching role,as a great man to master the basic skills to young players and jbm still the manager,ten times better than allen as a "coach"

But that wont happen.
    Pat hartnett doing great work with midelton who play a similar style to cork,is in the hunt id say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

There will be a report on it alright, I got the scores of a reporter friend of mine!

There will be a report on it alright, I got the scores of a reporter friend of mine!

Excellent stuff .
    Just one?what did billy dunne score?

I am keen to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Key with jbm,was he had a proven management team bar one selector,and had a top quality professional trainer to inspire the players.

The football set up is no where near the same and not one has proven success even at club.

Colm o neill wont play till April and huge doubts remain he wnt get injured again.
    Kerry have tommy walsh coming home and a better management team.Their laughing at us today.

Cork have no hope of an all ireland next year.Tyroyne,mayo,kerrry,donegal,dublin are ahead of us,and galway an meath have good managers that will get every last inch out of them.
    Of the teams you've mentioned, only Mayo and Dublin are credible candidates for the All-Ireland next year. Tyrone have proven consistently that they cannot compete at the top level. Donegal will be a bit of mystery after last year's woeful performances. It could go good or bad for them. Kerry are suffering just as much as Cork and have alot of aging players still available when it might be wiser to follow the path of Tomás O Sé and go out on a high after the Dublin performance this year. I think Meath have an excellent manager, but Alan Mulholland is well short of the grade. He proved that last year and this year against Mayo. He had a good run in the qualifiers but Galway were very badly prepared for the championship this year. Mayo in comparison were at least a highly professional outfit and really only lacked in natural player ability. You can do everything else with a team, but you'll always be limited by the pool of players available. Dublin are enjoying a great time of it at the moment, but it's all cyclical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I was at the Midelton game. Blackwater looked the better side for 3/4s of the match. Midleton scored 2 goals one from Dunne and one made be him, early on. Blackwater pulled it back to level and go ahead by one mid way through the 2nd half. Then they totally collapsed as the Midleton forwards thundered into the game in the last 15 minutes and they hit 8 points on the trot.

• Advertisement

SHEEHAN SWITCHES TO AUSSIE RULES AS FOOTBALL EXODUS CONTINUES

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 06, 2013
    CIARÁN Sheehan is switching codes.

The gifted Éire Óg dual club player won’t be throwing his lot in with Jimmy Barry-Murphy’s hurlers though, instead the 22-year-old has signed a two-year deal to play Aussie Rules with Carlton Blues.

The exodus of 30-something Rebel footballers was entirely predicted, but the news today that Sheehan is departing for Australia is a huge blow to new manager Brian Cuthbert.

In recent weeks Noel O’Leary, Paudie Kissane and Graham Canty retired, and as predicted in yesterday’s Evening Echo Alan Quirke and Pearse O’Neill have joined them. All five, while still quality players, were realistically past their best.

The loss of Sheehan is completely different.

He was excellent in his first season at senior level in 2010, kicking a point in the All-Ireland final as Cork defeated Down. While injuries, including a cruciate in 2011, stunted his development somewhat, he would have been the fulcrum of the attack in 2014, either at wing- or full-forward.

He caused significant problems for both Kerry, from the bench, and Dublin last summer at the edge of the square, and would have been a pivotal figure in a new-look outfit. Instead Cuthbert and his selectors will have to plan without one of their most potent forwards, which will increase the importance of getting Pa Kelly and Colm O’Neill back to full fitness.

Cuthbert has put an extended panel together, which will be revealed later in the week, including new attackers like Skibb’s Donal Óg Hodnett, Dan Mac Eoin from Ilen Rovers, and Caheragh’s O’Driscoll brothers. They will all feel there is now a genuine opportunity to push for a spot next year.

Sheehan caught the eye playing for Ireland in the international rules series last month. He previously spent four months Down Under in 2009, but turned down a contract with Carlton due to homesickness.

The Cork hurlers would have loved to recruit Sheehan too, and sounded him out last year, as he offered real promise as a dual minor. He only pulled on the Blood and Bandage once at U21, back in ’09, but had shown flashes of that potential when hurling for CIT and in helping Éire Óg to the IHC final last Sunday, which they lost to Kanturk.

I was at the Midelton game. Blackwater looked the better side for 3/4s of the match. Midleton scored 2 goals one from Dunne and one made be him, early on. Blackwater pulled it back to level and go ahead by one mid way through the 2nd half. Then they totally collapsed as the Midleton forwards thundered into the game in the last 15 minutes and they hit 8 points on the trot.
    Thanks for that.

How did cahill do at full back ?

Great hear dunne rtood out,i expect big things from him at minor.

What about kinery?anyone else stand out cork wise?

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Of the teams you've mentioned, only Mayo and Dublin are credible candidates for the All-Ireland next year. Tyrone have proven consistently that they cannot compete at the top level. Donegal will be a bit of mystery after last year's woeful performances. It could go good or bad for them. Kerry are suffering just as much as Cork and have alot of aging players still available when it might be wiser to follow the path of Tomás O Sé and go out on a high after the Dublin performance this year. I think Meath have an excellent manager, but Alan Mulholland is well short of the grade. He proved that last year and this year against Mayo. He had a good run in the qualifiers but Galway were very badly prepared for the championship this year. Mayo in comparison were at least a highly professional outfit and really only lacked in natural player ability. You can do everything else with a team, but you'll always be limited by the pool of players available. Dublin are enjoying a great time of it at the moment, but it's all cyclical.

I don't or never have believed in cyles ,it comes ,and goes in ones,and every team has one,and we must wait or turn,and weve no given right etc.Things happen for a reason.
    Clare and dublin proved that.

This rubbish that cork will come again based on we had a few bad years is just wrong,and the inneundo that ruined cork hurling,and is still the ethos of cork gaa at board level.All comes in cyles.
    The u21 and minor hurling famine is some cycle in fairness.
    The minors though will win an all ireland within two years,and and all ireland q final at least this year.

Cyle of change ,is not believed in kilkenny,or kerry.A period of transistion yes but KK will every year challenge.

Kerry due to neglect at under age have suffered but with Jack at minor and darragh at u21 with o se at ucc,all that is changing.Kerry make mistakes ,there not immortal,but unlike cork rarely make same mistake again and again.

You have a fair argument with mullohand,and this year will tell a lot.

However,and i don't mean winning all irelands,this year,but donegal,meath,tyrone ,etc all have proven management that on their day look better equipped to beat cork particulary if cork had to go to Navan for a qualifer.

Not one of the management with cork is proven.you and correctly so had doubts about cuthbhert months ago.

I adovacted,outside of cleary he was the best available,in english,ryan or morgan would not even get an interview.

I said then the make up of the backroom team would tell a lot,and would define our chances.That was crucial.

That backroom team is a pale shadow on what other countys have ,and kerry with o neill,and fitzmaurice,even with an old team ,are well capable of taking cork unless,and its a huge ask,everyone of our management team hit the ground running.

What is most worrying,is the acceptance now that cork wont challege next year with such a young team,missing an irrelacpable player in sheehan, is now a team in transisiton,and as cuthbhert is the boards choice,no minimal criteria of performance will be set ,and no matter how poor we may be,cuthbhert like every other cork manager will get a second term.

Where in truth,yes he shouldnt be judged on winning an all ireland next two years,with sheehan gone,their must be a target of goals set ,like a munster title,semi final etc and div 1 status ,set to judge the management set up on.

That wont happen.He was always the boards Choice so he will be given as much time as he wants.

Glanmire 1-4 to kanturk 3 h time.

Kanturk have 12 from sunday,they looked tired.

Good open game.

Kanturk won by 4 ,a great comeback.Superb win.walsh superb in 2nd half.

• Advertisement

Kanturk a superb comeback,mcloughlin had a great game at midfield,totally winning against cussen.

Kanturk were down at half time,unlucky not to save the penalty,goalie got hes hand to it.

Walsh kicked a great point.
    They scored a great goal,well worked.

Darren browne came on,a big strong defender,looks a fine prospect.On the minor panel at the moment .Final cut be done in a few months..

Cussen was awfult,at midfield ,he didnt want to fight for any ball.The amont of ball he dropped was awful.

A fast free ,in the ist half,set him up ,20 yards from goal,and he went for a point and missed.It was easier score.No wind or rain either.

The papers still think this guy has something to offer cork.

I'm not particularly happy with Cuthbert. I would have preferred a different appointment. I think the process used to appoint Cuthbert was suspect to say the least. There was no transparency. No one seems to know what criteria were used to pick the manager. No one knows who was interviewed for the job etc

But it's going to be a long winter and league campaign for Cork if we start being pessimistic at this stage. For better or worse, Cuthbert is the manager. The five that retired were always going to go, if not this year, certainly next year. I think we should wait and see what Cuthbert does on the field before we ultimately judge him.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I'm not particularly happy with Cuthbert. I would have preferred a different appointment. I think the process used to appoint Cuthbert was suspect to say the least. There was no transparency. No one seems to know what criteria were used to pick the manager. No one knows who was interviewed for the job etc

But it's going to be a long winter and league campaign for Cork if we start being pessimistic at this stage. For better or worse, Cuthbert is the manager. The five that retired were always going to go, if not this year, certainly next year. I think we should wait and see what Cuthbert does on the field before we ultimately judge him.

Theirs never criteria with the board,its who they want.

Your right in that we dont have much to do bar support him.And i will go to games.

But at the end of the day ,im trying to look for reasons to be positive, im a beliver in logic rather than false hope.

Just what i heard since and tonight,i'm unconvinced cork will be successful under this set up.The skillset of the management is unproven at the top ,elite level.

Theirs never criteria with the board,its who they want.

Your right in that we dont have much to do bar support him.And i will go to games.

But at the end of the day ,im trying to look for reasons to be positive, im a beliver in logic rather than false hope.

Just what i heard since and tonight,i'm unconvinced cork will be successful under this set up.The skillset of the management is unproven at the top ,elite level.
    There's no doubt the management team is unproven. On the basis of evidence so far you'd have pessimistic about Cuthbert's reign as manager of Cork. Earlier you said Kilkenny don't go through cycles. I think Brian Cody was a pretty average club manager before he took over county management, and the rest is history. Having said that, I would have preferred if the manager was chosen for better, more logical reasoning. When Counihan stepped down it was pretty obvious that Cuthbert was a shoe in. I read in the Echo one evening that Cuthbert was good at politics. And I think this has been the decisive factor in his appointment as manager. Time will tell if he's successful or not.

I saw that Cork will have to play Kerry in the kingdom in their last league match in April of next year. I'll be looking forward to that game. At that stage we should have a pretty good idea of how Cork are going to set up in 2014. Also, whatever new players are available will likely be kept on or cut after that game so we should have a pretty good idea what panel of players will be available next year.

Congrats to Nash,Horgan and Harnedy for winning all stars.

Nash ,superb,some week for kanturk,win sunday,win tonight,and another all star.
    2 in a row.Sum achievement for Kanturk.

Horgan,fully deserved,i was a critic of him here,and said he needed to stand up,he did.

He has more in him,can be a truly great player.

Seamus harnedy,st itas ,done cork proud.Am absoultey delighted for that club ,and Harnedy and hes people.

Kathy hes mother,six all irelands,spoke so proudly,passionate ,and magnificenty on up for the final,its easy to see why he is grouned as a hurler.The guy plays with heart and pride,in every game.

A born leader,future captain of cork,1-13 in six games,just beaten by a point in play from horgan as cork top scorer from play.

Only two league games prior to that,with no minor or u21 games bar intermediate.

A truly unbelieavble story, and will become one of corks greats i have no doubt.

On the fieid couid turn water in to wine.

What a player.

On an awful 24 hrs for cork gaa,this has brought great news.

Well done to all 3 and thank you for wearing the blood and bandage with such heart,honur,pride and magnificent skill.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

O Grady back with the Limerick hurlers

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

what???

Seriously?:eek:

Can someone post the full list, or send me a link to it - story was supposed to be embargoed until midnight!

Is that confirmed?i saw that in the times today

Meeting in claughan tommorrow.A big suprise if true.Cunnigham was in talks.

O grady ,going back after being their,is interesting.

Is that confirmed?i saw that in the times today

Meeting in claughan tommorrow.A big suprise if true.Cunnigham was in talks.

O grady ,going back after being their,is interesting.

Its an exclusive in the examiner tomorrow

• Advertisement

sasol wrote: »
    Anthony Nash (Cork)
    Richie McCarthy (Limerick)
    Peter Kelly (Dublin)
    David McInerney (Clare)
    Brendan Bugler (Clare)
    Liam Rushe (Dublin)
    Patrick Donnellan (Clare)
    Colm Galvin (Clare)
    Conor Ryan (Clare)
    Séamus Harnedy (Cork)
    Tony Kelly (Clare)
    Danny Sutcliffe (Dublin)
    Podge Collins (Clare)
    Patrick Horgan (Cork)
    Conor McGrath (Clare)
    Posted in clare thread

Go way jesus ... Thats a suprise.Talk is cunnigham has work commitments.

Did he turn it down over that.

Brian murphy deserved one,but once he was named at half back,wdnt get it.

Should of been nominated at corner back back as in 3 games was corks best defender in a team that up to replay had conceded just one goal.

Should got it,with mccarthy full back..They picked 3 full backs.

But the way it was done,you couldnt argue with the 15.

Glen kennfick won a minor league last week,glen beat the barrs.

He was moved to midfield and meant to had a real influence on the game.

Glen kennfick won a minor league last week,glen beat the barrs.

He was moved to midfield and meant to had a real influence on the game.

Thanks - apparently made the Cork minor football team for next year

Thanks - apparently made the Cork minor football team for next year
    Yeah theres a panel of 80(sounds big)but thats what there working with i was told.

Obivously will be cut down over the months.

Just sat down their,feet up,read Echo,as didnt get chance earlier.

One of the guys wrote Mcloughlin for Centre forward, just what cork need based on sundays game,when he was brillant. Harnedy,lorchan and paudie,
    And kearney and cronin at midfield. My god,i can't fathom the logic of that.

A man at midfield,that has lost the abilty to track back ,and chase ,would be toast to clare. And a half forward line that struggled last year,is now worse,paudie sullivan isnt a ball winning forward,and bar the odd jump cant dominate aerially. Mcloughin outmuscled at midfield and never dominant under the high ball to catch clean is a target for puckouts,is madness. What a laugh.

Lehane inside in the corner where he has proved at intercounty he gets too confined. If that team started,we havent a hope.What does he think walsh will do?sit on the bench. Mcloughlin is better at half back where he can use hurley break ball rather catch cleanly and hes reading is second to none. He is better winning aerially balls one in one than a crowded centre aera.

With four better options at half forward,it would make no sense to play two guys that cant dominate high ball ,in paudie and lorchan in their. Paudie can win ball slightly above head height,he aint going to pluck balls out of the air cleanly ball after ball,something walsh can do. Lehane is better in the air as proven sunday. Paudie needs to be closer to goal.

Kissane gone to clare football,trainer coach.He will be a very good one.

Under 18 ½ Hurling Fixtures
    Dr. Harty Cup Under 18½ A Hurling Championship
    Midleton CBS 2-17 Blackwater CS 0-15 –

Rochestown 4-7 Nenagh CBS 1-10

Ardscoil Ris 2-24 St Flannans 1-10

DLS Waterford 2-10 St Colmans 1-11

13/11/2013 @ 1:30pm
    Nenagh CBS V Blackwater CS New Inn Noel Cosgrave

20/11/2013 @ 1:30pm
    Charleville V Youghal Fermoy

Thurles CBS 0-21 Gaelcholaiste Mhuire AG 0-11

Doon 3-11 Castletroy 1-14 –

Dungarvan CBS 1-15 Rochestown 1-10

Ardscoil Ris 0-17 DLS Waterford 1-5

Hamilton High School Bandon 1-20 St. Colmans 0-15

Our Lady’s Templemore 1-15 High School Clonmel 0-9 –

Col Cholmain 2-10 Ardscoil Ris 0-16

Hamilton HS Bandon 2-16 St Flannans College 2-11 -

Dungarvan 1-11 Midleton CBS 0-12
    Charleville 1-16 HS Clonmel 0-14

Our Lady’s Templemore 4-23 Youghal 2-7

Castletroy 5-14 Gaelcholaiste Mhuire 2-10

Thurles CBS 1-19 Doon 2-12

Rochestown V Blackwater (to be replayed due to a player injury)

Thurles CBS 3-13 Castletroy 1-9

Doon 3-18 Gaelcholáiste Mhuire A.G 1-10

Dungarvan 1-16 P.S. Blackwater 0-14

Midleton CBS 4-20 Nenagh CBS 2-9

Ardscoil Rís  4-20 Hamilton High School Bandon 3-14

St. Flannans 2-16 DLS Waterford 3-13

Charlevillle 3-16 Our Lady’s Templemore 3-15

High School Clonmel 3-16 Pobalscoil Youghal 3-6

Tables

Group 1 (all teams played 3 games)
    Thurles CBS – 6 points
    S Na T Doon – 4 points
    Castletroy CC – 2 points
    Gaelcholaiste Mhuire AG – 0 points

Group 2

Dungarvan CBS Played 3 Points 6
    Middleton CBS Played 3 Points 4
    Rochestown College Played 2 Points 2
    Blackwater CS Played 2 Points 0
    Nenagh CBS Played 2 Points 0

Group 3
    Ardscoil Ris Played 4 Points 7
    Hamilton HS Bandon Played 3 Points 4
    DLS Waterford Col Played 3 Points 3
    St Flannans Col Played 3 Points 1
    St Colmans Fermoy Played 3 Points 1

Group 4
    Our Lady’s Templemore Played 3 Points 4
    Chareville CBS Played 2 Points 4
    HS Clonmel Played 3 Points 2
    Youghal CS Played 2 Points 0

HARTY CUP DRAWS 2013/2014
    Group A: Durlas, Col. Chaladh an Treoigh, Gaelcoláiste Mhuire A.G, Scoil Na Tríonóide Doon

Group B: P.S. Blackwater, Dún Garbháin, Mainistir Na Corann, Aonach, Col Baile an Róistigh

Group C: Ardscoil Rís, Dr. na Banndan, Col. Fhlannáin, DLS, Port Láirge, Coláiste Cholmáin

Group D: Teampall Mór, Rath Loirc, Cluain Meala, Pob. Sc na Trionóide Eochaill

25/09/2013
    Dr. Harty Cup Round 1
    Durlas V Col. Chaladh an Treoigh
    P.S. Blackwater V Dún Garbháin
    Ardscoil Rís V Dr. na Banndan
    Teampall Mór V Rath Loirc
    Gaelcholáiste Mhuire A.G V Scoil Na Tríonóide Doon
    Mainistir Na Corann V Aonach
    Col. Fhlannáin V DLS, Port Láirge
    Cluain Meala V Pob. Sc na Trionóide Eochaill

09/10/2013
    Dr. Harty Cup Round 2
    Scoil Na Tríonóide Doon V Durlas
    Col Baile an Róistigh. V P.S. Blackwater
    Coláiste Cholmáin V Ardscoil Rís
    Pob. Sc na Trionóide Eochaill V Teampall Mór
    Col. Chaladh an Treoigh V Gaelcholáiste Mhuire A.G
    Dún Garbháin V Mainistir Na Corann
    Dr. na Banndan V Col. Fhlannáin
    Rath Loirc. V Cluain Meala

23/10/2013
    Dr. Harty Cup Round 3
    Durlas V Gaelcholáiste Mhuire A.G
    Aonach V P.S. Blackwater
    DLS, Port Láirge V Ardscoil Rís
    Teampall Mór V Cluain Meala
    Col. Chaladh an Treoigh V Scoil Na Tríonóide Doon
    Dún Garbháin. V Col Baile an Róistigh
    Dr. na Banndan V Coláiste Cholmáin
    Rath Loirc V Pob. Sc na Trionóide Eochaill

6/11/2013
    Dr. Harty Cup Round 4
    P.S. Blackwater V Mainistir Na Corann
    Ardscoil Rís V Col. Fhlannáin
    Aonach V Col Baile an Róistigh.
    DLS, Port Láirge V Coláiste Cholmáin

20/11/2013
    Dr. Harty Cup Round 5
    Dún Garbháin VAonach
    Dr. na Banndan V DLS, Port Láirge
    Mainistir Na Corann V Col Baile an Róistigh
    Col. Fhlannáin V Coláiste Cholmáin

• Advertisement

Munster minor and u21 hurling and football and mcgrath cup draws tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement