Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

The Cork u21 hurlers ,would want to hope they avoid clare,as i think if we play them its away ,and cork could get a hammering away from home.

Tipp would be at home ,not sure how their new manager is rated.

Waterford away would be a disaster.

Limerick at home may be the best option,may be the easier of all,but at the same time ,this team will struggle to win at home.

Minor hurling i cant wait.I respect all but fear no one in munster home or away.

Minor football needs a good draw .

U21 football,more than likely will have to play kerry at sum stage-away ,but they will be competitve at the very least.

If we draw tipp,its home,and thats a bonus as next years tipp side be very good[.Quote]

Got waterford away from home in u21 hurling.

An awful draw.Cork wont win this,id fear we could be in for a long night.

Queally with youghal and passage is an excellent manager,second year in charge after being competitve last year ,with a few from the minor winning team will be better prepared,play players in the best posisiton with home advantage,i see only one winner and we have a talented team.
    Id love to see us make the final,but i can't see it.

The u21 football got a very hard draw,ist game in kerry ,but they have a chance as will be well prepared.

The minors who are not in view ,great management , inferior to the u21,but have a better chance of progressing,as with the round robin,v good chance avoiding kerry until the final and getting to a munster final.

If you loose your gauaranteed a an all ireland q final.

Ist game is in cork against limerick,they should win that .

Newtown 11 na piarsaigh 3-11

Poor game,no edge to it

Na piasaigh v midelton next

Liam martin glen rovers cork minor selector.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kilmac14

I think Cuthbert deserves as much support as possible. He has to built almost a brand new team and has some of the best young talent in the country to work with. If he gets his system right and gets the players to buy into it then you'd never know what might happen.

Look at Donegal and Jim McGuinness. When he took over they were a disgrace of a team, but with a lot of hard work and a system that the players bought into he delivered an All Irealnd, with lets be honest a fairly average footballing team (apart from Lacey, McFadden and Murphy) the rest were work horses who worked their socks off for the manager.

If Cuthbert can get the young players to buy into the way he does things then I think we are more that capable of challenging for the All Ireland. If Cuthbert can get the team primed and ready for a Munster Final down the Pairc against the crowd next door then I think we might be looking at the very least an All Ireland semi final (depending on other provinces that is and the qualifiers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

The Cork U21 team for Wednesday night against Limerick at the Gaelic Grounds is
    1.David Hanarahan Douglas
    2.Brian O Driscoll T.Mactaraigh
    3.Conor Dorman Bishopstown
    4.Alan Cronin Nemo Rangers
    5.TJ Brosnan Newmarket
    6.Damien Cahalane Castleheaven Captain
    7.Jamie Wall Kilbrittain
    8.Tom Clancy Clonakilty
    9.Ian Maguire St Finbarrs
    10.Alan Cadogan Douglas
    11.Mark Sugrue Bandon
    12.John O Rourke Carbery Rangers
    13.Luke Connolly Nemo Rangers
    14 Brian Hurley Castleheaven
    15.Dan MacEoin Illen Rovers
    Subs
    16.Pat Kirby T.Mactaraigh
    17.Connor Sullivan Clyda Rovers
    18.Kevin Crowley Milstreet
    19.Kevin Fulnagatti Nemo Rangers
    20.Sean Kiely Ballincollig
    21.Kevin Halissey Eire Og
    22.Cathal Vaughan Iveleary
    23.Tom Hegarty O Donovan Rossa
    Came across this and thought to myself id throw it up again in light of the departures. It seemed like agood team and should have done better but to be honest im not sure I can see all ireland potential in this bunch, there just seems to be something missing

Newtown were never at the races,looked disjointed,looked they had no interest at all.

Naughton,coughlan,bowles,clifford,jack herihly,jp king, gerry o mahony,they had a strong team on paper.

The best man for them was conor twomey,a joy to behold in the match,great game,tore in to every ball.

Naughton had moments,coughlan main threat up front.Briggane in goal,a wonderful reflex penalty save from ian mcdonnell.

Na piarsaigh had around ten regulars,keating,mannix,buckley got a goal,joyce,sean og,mcgregor and gould who was majestic ,heavily strapped got two goals but one dissallowed for a free in,advantage should of been played.

Whatever critics say of john gardiner,by christ you cant question hes loyalty to the club or hes commiment.
    On a bitterly cold night ,that i had to count my toes to make sure i still had them,it was so cold ,he was severly hindered with injury,having an operation in a week or so. he gave it hes all.The man could have sat this out.Not gardiner though.
    Well able to puck ball out of the air.

He was at full forward as he could barely run with the leg,but he chased every ball.
    His attuide should be a template for others to follow.

Gould was the same,struggling with injury he was superb.

This guy has it,touch,pace,hardness ,what he needs is an injury free run.

Mcdonnell done good,but he will have tougher than herihly.Hes fitness would have to improve .Hes meant to be working on that.

JOyce was good but as i said no bite to this at all.

My scources tell me martin is highly rated,done good with the glen underage,very committed and very anayatical.

Sounds a great set up with landers,dywer,ring etc.

• Advertisement

keep going wrote: »
    Came across this and thought to myself id throw it up again in light of the departures. It seemed like agood team and should have done better but to be honest im not sure I can see all ireland potential in this bunch, there just seems to be something missing
    Twelve of that panel huge potential next year for senior

Hanahran,cahalane,wall,clancy,o driscoll(nt at corner back)sugrue,maceoin,hurley and O rourke
    Cadogan with the hurlers.

Crowley of the bench,vaughan , and ian maguire may or may not make the panel this time but savage potential next few years.

Anybody that says shields is a must at c back,i would say look at team, we had a full back line with only one natural full back,cronin in the corner who had a poor year at club and county by hes own standards.

Minor hurling draw the 21st November

Why not tonight can anyone tell me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Minor hurling draw the 21st November

Why not tonight can anyone tell me please?

Supposedly Kerry don't know what they're doing so they're waiting to see whether they're in or out before they can make the draw

Horse84 wrote: »
    Supposedly Kerry don't know what they're doing so they're waiting to see whether they're in or out before they can make the draw
    Okay thanks

One draw really looked forward to.

Thanks - apparently made the Cork minor football team for next year

Hes on the fringe of the minor hurling panel as well,trials are saturday i think.

With liam martin a selector from the glen now with the hurlers,it will help hes cause at the hurling

• Advertisement

Skin in the Game is a Gaa documentary next wednesday night on rte,going behind the scences on gaa players lives,commitment etc with different intercounty players last year.

Eoin cadogan is featured on it and one of the cork camoige stars , amanda geary,lar corbett and mikey carton.

Four excellent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Skin in the Game is a Gaa documentary next wednesday night on rte,going behind the scences on gaa players lives,commitment etc with different intercounty players.

Eoin cadogan is featured on it and one of the cork camoige gears ,i think its amanda geary,stand to be corrected though.

Love these rte gaa documentaries. Great viewing.

Amprodude wrote: »

Me too ,ill be at a football match next wed,glanworth v kanturk,intermediate,straight home,feet up,fire on,kettle on and then just enjoy that.

I am a big fan of any programme that raises the profile of gaa players and espiceally camoige or ladies football ,as they fully deserve it,their commitment is second to none.

What u make of the football next year?

Amprodude wrote: »
    Lar Corbett,cadogan,mikey carton and amanda geary,high profile names.

Shields captain of the footballers.A good choice.

Hanaharahn,maceoin,sugrue,dorman,the two o driscolls,alan cronin,cathal vaughan and hodnett meant to be called up to the panel.

Rory deane meant to have missed out and michael laoire.Shocking if true,when we need midfielders too good prospects dont get a chance.Alan o connor apparently made the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Liam Martin (glen rovers) added to minor hurling management. Apologies if this was posted previously

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ah dang, I would love to have seen that - would be nice if they did a few other names as well, definitely a few other people I would like to have seen on it!

Ah dang, I would love to have seen that - would be nice if they did a few other names as well, definitely a few other people I would like to have seen on it!

They started a thread here for it,theres a video clip in their of it.

DWYER IS NURTURING LOVE OF THE GAME IN BALLINCOLLIG

Ballincollig is a club that has never delivered on its potential to be a senior force in hurling and football. In a bid to maximise their population base they’ve appointed All-Ireland medallist John Dwyer as a primary schools coach. Éamonn Murphy spoke to him about the challenge ahead

FOR John Dwyer, hurling was always his sport of choice and the GAA his passion. From when he picked up a camán as a young boy or first soloed a football, he was engrossed.

It helped his family was steeped in the Ballincollig club, and his brother Danny would go on to be a dual minor for Cork.
    John followed in his footsteps, wing-back in the 1995 All-Ireland minor defeat of Kilkenny after coming off the bench to shoot the lead point in a narrow semi-final victory over Galway.

He was a panellist when Cork won two glorious U21 All-Irelands in 1997 and 1998 as well, with Donal Óg Cusack, Seán Óg, Diarmuid O’Sullivan, Mickey O’Connell and Joe Deane leading the way, and fellow Collig player Dan Murphy the captain from centre-back.
    “Sometimes I wondered was it good or bad to be with them because it was so hard to get a game! But they were great players, great teams. It was an amazing time.”

Dwyer helped inspire Ballincollig to an U21 county in 1996 and an intermediate crown in ‘99, though a spinal injury almost finished his career in his early 20s. After two utterly frustrating years on the sidelines, he returned and played some of his best hurling.
    Wristy and accurate, economical on the ball and utterly committed without it, he was the fulcrum of a Collig team that was in the mix to lift the PIHC in 2008 and 2009, beaten by champions Blarney in the ‘08 quarter and Douglas in the ‘09 semi.

His condition, ankylosing spondylitis — which causes a lack of elasticity in the spine — meant his body eventually couldn’t take the rigours of championship anymore. The ritual of weekly injections to ease the pain goes on now, but his days as a hurler were over.

“I wouldn’t train much, roll out for championship games and then be crippled again for another week.
    “When Douglas beat us in the semi-final and it was horrible, a tough hour. I was on Eoin Cadogan and he was ferociously strong and I was only getting older and weaker.
    “Considering I had been told not to play contact sport ever again I was delighted to go as long as did.”
    After postponing it until 2010 because Ballincollig had a clutch of young guns abroad and his brother Danny was manager, understandably, his wife Alison was “the happiest person in the world” when he retired.

Coaching was always a natural step. During his gap years through injury he helped the Ballincollig minors to a 2003 County A crown, and then a Premier semi-final in ‘04.
    “What I got a huge kick out of us when I was able to hurl again was playing with the lads from the 2003 minor team. There was great camaraderie, though I felt like an old man at times.”

Then last year — under bainisteoir Michael O’Brien and with selectors Danny Twohig, Alan Beale and Kevin Cooper — he coached a new crop to Premier 2 glory, and with 13 of that team available they recently beat Na Piarsaigh in the Premier 1 first round.
    He also spent the past two years with the Collig U6s and now the U7s where his son Eoin is learning his trade. When the opportunity arose to get involved in Ballincollig’s revived primary schools coaching programme he jumped at it. The initiative, now in its second year, has been sponsored to the tune of 2,500 by Ballincollig Credit Union, and driven by the club’s youth development section under the chair of Conor Cronin.

Dwyer is working with first to four class boys in Scoil Eoin, Scoil Barra and Gaelscoil Uí Ríordáin, as the club strive towards becoming a force in both codes at senior in the medium term. The population has swollen to 20,000 in 30 years, but translating that into silverware at the top hasn’t been easy.
    “Big-town syndrome is a major problem. In smaller places it isn’t the management that kill you for missing training, it’s your team-mates. It’s about much more than having just good players.”
    There’s the frustration of an underwhelming three years at senior hurling after promotion in 1999, and the senior footballers’ inability to even make the last four of the SFC despite their talent.

“In 2000 we gave Newtown a great match in our first game, but they were just a top team, and we’d a few injuries in the backdoor and were beaten easily enough by Carbery. That was it then. Fellas didn’t put it in, our fellas just weren’t dedicated enough. Maybe after underage success you take a lot for granted.

“We’ve certainly underachieved in football when you look at the amount of Cork U21s and minors we’ve had. It’s about crossing the line and giving it all for the jersey and back to your club. No amount of training can change that.”

For the moment his main task is simple, but not easy: to get as many primary school kids down playing GAA as possible. Ballincollig needs it, and Cork hurling too — especially if the pay-off was strong hurling teams in the local secondary schools Coláiste Choilm and BCS.
    “We’re not obsessed with winning. It’s about being competitive and keeping as many players down there as we can. If we can get a volume of players through we mightn’t be depending as much on dual players. Now dual players are the backbone of our club, but if you look at 1999 we’d only probably four dual players and we won the intermediate final and got to the senior football semi-final.”

To reach that level will be a real test of Ballincollig, even in a thriving hub. Hurling takes work, but after starting his new role Dwyer was still surprised by how little the game chimed with some youngsters.

“I asked in a fourth class did they know who Henry Shefflin was — there was only two out of about 30 did. That’s where hurling is at the moment unfortunately.
    “I would have assumed everyone would know who Shefflin is. Wearing helmets doesn’t help and Cork hurling hasn’t been winning, which means the profile of the game just isn’t as strong as it should be.

“It’s just up to us as a club to build to up. We can’t wait for anyone else to do it for us. The reality is a lot of kids don’t know where the GAA club is. With the younger kids, and the Premier League on telly so much, soccer is everywhere. It’s like football: give them the ball and there’s a result. Hurling is so much more technical.”
    If nothing else Dwyer hopes to foster the same grá for GAA the old parish leagues in Ballincollig bred in him.

“The rivalry was something cruel altogether. Rosewood were our big rivals at that time in hurling and football at U9s and U11s, they had the Beales and John Miskella, and we had some ding-dong battles.
    “I remember them as clear as day. If you lost you’d be crying for the night and if you won you thought you were Larry Tompkins.”
    The simplicity of GAA at its best.

That was an article on john o dywer a few months back.A young ,very good coach in the making.

It shows what a good young coach he is and now with liam martin,ring,and landers,this management team is the best of all at intercounty cork teams second to only Jbms team,however cunnigham is a massive loss.

Liam martin has coached the Glen at senior and every grade ,and their starting to make inroads at youth.

A city represenation is good,with North,and east cork and mid cork represented.

John mortell is their.Must of repersented every cork grade,at management.Senior,u21 and intermediate.

That is the only appointment i doubt,as most cork teams he was with have failed.
    But four out of five is not bad when you consider corks record with managers.

A lot of cork people are upset that kerry delayed the minor draw.I would have liked it to go ahead,but considering the fiasco we have caused with the league we are in no position to give out.

Planning application for the pairc submitted today.

• Advertisement

kilmac14 wrote: »
    I think Cuthbert deserves as much support as possible. He has to built almost a brand new team and has some of the best young talent in the country to work with. If he gets his system right and gets the players to buy into it then you'd never know what might happen.

Look at Donegal and Jim McGuinness. When he took over they were a disgrace of a team, but with a lot of hard work and a system that the players bought into he delivered an All Irealnd, with lets be honest a fairly average footballing team (apart from Lacey, McFadden and Murphy) the rest were work horses who worked their socks off for the manager.

If Cuthbert can get the young players to buy into the way he does things then I think we are more that capable of challenging for the All Ireland. If Cuthbert can get the team primed and ready for a Munster Final down the Pairc against the crowd next door then I think we might be looking at the very least an All Ireland semi final (depending on other provinces that is and the qualifiers)

Thats valid and fair enough,and i will go to games,but it's hard to have any real confidence in the management,its based on hope.

I dont think many within are cork are confident and from what i heard the last week ,cuthbhert was not the players prefferred choice,they wanted cleary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I was only talking to a buddy a few days ago and thought it was a joke that Ballincollig were not challenging at both codes. They have a ridiculous base of potential players. And they are right to get into the primary schools - that's where the future of any club is.

Cobh is another place that will make good progress in the years ahead. They are sending coaches in the schools there for the last few years and doing very good work indeed. One of the schools in Cobh hadn't been in a Sciath na Scoil final in years, 2 last year and are in 1 next week aswell. Coaching kids at that age is how a club can develop in later years.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mallow are the biggest laughing stock of all in Cork imo.

No Senior in anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mallow are the biggest laughing stock of all in Cork imo.

No Senior in anything.

Mallow's mantra......Build It And They Will Come !!

On the week it has been with 3 all stars ,One cork coach resigns, another returns to coach,what he hopes is the promised land, their are two huge games on Cork county u21 hurling championship saturday night and sunday morning.

Their is stars already,stars of the future,lots of cork development players,minor ,and u21 players on here.Some great talent on show.

The blackrock douglas game was going to be epic anyway,a derby game,but they have the way the games have went with all the delays ,decided that Blackrock who were nominated to represent the city,now put douglas back in to the fray ,and the winners of sundays city final at ballinlough will go the county final.

It all worked out in the end as both these teams are hughely talented.

In regards the ist game tommorrow night in pair u rinn is midelton and Mallow.

Midleton team i expect (may be odd)change or two

T.wallis, E.mulchay,patrick o mahony, N.o reagan,D.quirke,finbarr o mahony,L.coughlan,C.walsh,s.o farell,p.nagle,b.o sullivan,p farrell,lehane,(captain)s.moore,M.Aberneth

Pat hartnett,manager,denis mulchay and Ger fitz floating around their.

Mallow (again may be a change or two)
    P.BUCkley ,j o hanlon,k o connor,d sheehan,p buckley,c murphy,a luttrell,p healy,c hannon,a sheehan,k sheehan(captain)p herihly.b murphy ,yassin browne and s.hayes
    Ryan harkin may start

Tadhg O Riordain Manager,John Foley,and Johnny Walsh selectors.

Its meant to be dry tommorrow.Up to last week i would of said Mallow had a great chance ,but with Lehane (2-10 last week,1-13 against bishoptown ,even troubled shane o neill at times, and 5- 48 in the senior championship)if he is half that form could blow Mallow away.

Hes goal,in the all ireland final where he started 40 yards out ,and scored one of the best ever to grace a final proved ,on he's day the best in the country not to mind the county wont hold him.

They are a serious team even without their "superman" ,won the last three east cork titles ,beat a very good duhallow in the county in 2011,have around six of that panel, and have the wallis ,,the two o mahonys,cormac walsh (played like many of last weeks team senior in 2011.)lehane and Bud Hartnett.

They have blized everyone they met so far.People wonder are they tired with a lot of the senior lads,i doubt it,as those lads are in top fitness due to David Geary at senior,and are on such a high after sunday ,with the six day break they will be fine.

Theres huge expierence,with this team,Mallow are a fine team,but are very young in that they have 13 of the team avaible next year and a lot of their team lost a close county final to the rockies who dont loose many at that grade.

This should be fast open hurling.

The key is who marks lehane,he has to be man marked,in he will drift from the half forward line in to full so mallow to have any chance must mark him.

I was told wednesday night,Cormac Murphy(u21 and played waterford crystal at half forward for cork this year)is with Alec luttrell the only two that will do it.

They probaly will go with murphy as he has more expierence than lutterll,still a novice at this grade.

I personally would put Alec luttrell on him.A cert for minors next year,should of started this year.

The key is that if luttrell is being cleaned out,to move him fast,and also to tell him if hes a bad game he wont be judged on it,as lehane is physically,and expiernce wise further down the line and at different stages in their career.

The message should be do what you can,its a learning curve,and whatever happens,they will be better days ,and you wont have to mark lehane every game.

Of all the team,i feel he has the best talents to do it,pace,hurl both sides,great under the high ball,but not a dirty player but has aggression and never takes a step back.Born in tippereary,he is a real real talent.

Stephen Moore or bud hartnett on killan o connor(dual minor)is a mouthwatering tussle.

Pat Healy is a great worker ,and with connor hannon wont give much away,but o farell is much the same for midelton.

But Cormac Walsh is the standout player here ,a future cork senior,is similar to Mickey O 'Connell in that he can arrow points anywhere from half way.

Real pace,a senior the last two years,would have started at half back for cork u21 bar a shoulder injury in may.

Since he came back,he has been pheomomal ,started with two junior games,was on fire ,came on against na piarsaigh got 3 points in the senior semi final.

Came on in heavy conditions last week,and showed real,bite,and stamina.

If Midelton get a run in Munster i expect him to start sooner than later.

The battle betwee kevin sheehan and finbarr o mahony is well matched.

Aron sheehan and darren quirke another good match up.

Pa herihly,hampered by injury ,could cause lesile coughlan problems as herihly on hes day is a handful.

Sean Hayes on Patrick O Mahony ,will be very interesting to watch.

Patrick is a fine corner back as shown by a great second half last sunday,but hayes,is big,and strong,a great hand ,is the type of player that causes mahony problems.

Hayes is inexpierenced though at this level,a minor for cork next year,compared to o mahony who has a county medal,two years of senior club behind him,may give him the edge.

Mallow beat a very good fermoy team trained by Denis ring,and beat duhallow also, there an excellent team,but i feel,Midelton with their expierence,the highs of last week and also the buzz with the school in both the harty and dean ryan cup doing well,still in the senior hurling league semifinal ,are on the crest of a wave at the moment and will win .

Then you add in lehane and that influence may decide by how much.

But mallow will have their day at this grade in the future.

I do not mind who wins as both teams have a lot of very good players ,and potential on different cork teams in the future.

May the best team win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Thats valid and fair enough,and i will go to games,but it's hard to have any real confidence in the management,its based on hope.

I dont think many within are cork are confident and from what i heard the last week ,cuthbhert was not the players prefferred choice,they wanted cleary.

Sher we hear everything, I heard it that they didnt want cleary.truth be told different players are bound to have different preferences and anyway is there any point in talking about it now

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I was only talking to a buddy a few days ago and thought it was a joke that Ballincollig were not challenging at both codes. They have a ridiculous base of potential players. And they are right to get into the primary schools - that's where the future of any club is.

Cobh is another place that will make good progress in the years ahead. They are sending coaches in the schools there for the last few years and doing very good work indeed. One of the schools in Cobh hadn't been in a Sciath na Scoil final in years, 2 last year and are in 1 next week aswell. Coaching kids at that age is how a club can develop in later years.

Absoultey ,spot on.

Douglas done the same with eddie murphy doing great work in the schools down their.Won the minor football,u21 hurling semifrnal.

They are the coming team in hurling in a few years.

Douglas and The Rockies in the City divisonal final sunday morning,and winners play in the County final against Mallow or Midelton.

Blackrock

P delaney,j ryan,a hayes,e maccarthy,e smith,a murphy,n cashman ,l conway,d o farell,s murphy,s o keoffe,b dineen,A nolan,,A o Callaghan,K o keoffe

Dylan stokes may start along with crowe.
    Coached by wayne sherlock ,a great coach for the future and a great thinker of the game.

Should be involved with cork underage teams in the future

Douglas probably along the lines of

E dolan,d sheehan,d quirke,l maccarthy,d hanahrahn,p fitzgerald,s fogarty,c kingston,s collins,p beale,c o brien,m dolan,A cadogan,m o connor ,A ward .

Blackrock are the defending champions and county champions and highly favoured to win.

Douglas have had great work put in at schools down the years and it helped.They had colin doyle,goalkeeper in uk,with luke fitzgerald rubgy help set up a coaching program to develop coaches etc. In the past.

Mark o connor is in top form 2-3 against the barrs last week and around 2 -6 for rocehstown in the harty cup agarnst nenagh during the week.

He will come up against hes school teamate in niall cashman for the rockies.

Eoin dolan has a great puckout bv paul delaney is just as good a keeper.

David hanahran cork u21 footballer keeper ,a strong presence at half back will have
    hands full with stephen murphy or paul fitzgerald may mark him.

Murphy is and will be cork u21 next year.

Sean collins is fast and tough but luke conway is just as good and a great engine.

Niall cashman is a good prospect for the rockies,good under aerial ball and a great delivery ,and it should be fasinating against mark dolan who is a flyer and a super first touch.

Conor brien is just as fast at centre forward,they may switch alan cadogan out as cashman may swap with murphy at centre back.

Its hard to know what way douglas will set up ,front wise as mark o connor,aron ward,cadogan,dolan ,o brien ,are all very fast and very fast,seven goals against the barrs show how lethal they are.

Cadogan ,is very strong,and not very tall but wins high ball when he has to.

Theirs a big score in that forward line.

Andrew hayes is a tough full back and may mark o connor on the edge of the square.

Eoin mccarthy is a fast tenacouis corner back and would be suited for ward or o brien

Blackrock have kevin o keoffe who at full forward could cause huge damage to douglas and with shane o keoffe at centre forward also and alan o callaghan along with stephen murphy can get a high score.

Douglas are just as lethal but blackrocks defence may be slighty stronger and may edge it for them,at the same time douglas i wouldnt be suprised if they won.

A local derby,all the pressure on the rockies a potential banna skin.
    Unlike the midelton gawe,where lehane is the only likely player that could get one ten etc,both blackrock with kevin o keoffe and murphy are proflic,douglas with any of their forwards like cadogan or o connor could on their day hit a match winning total be main scorer.
    Two well matched teams .
    Like the othe game,any of these teams would do a final justice.

keep going wrote: »
    Sher we hear everything, I heard it that they didnt want cleary.truth be told different players are bound to have different preferences and anyway is there any point in talking about it now
    Thats fair enough ...how long is a piece of string.

Perception of somebody is different with different folks.
    But cleary had the better record,all hes teams could play fast open brand of football.

Youre right in that theres nothing we can do now but wait and c,but theres talks in some circles that this set up is a dream team.

It could prove to be but we have nothing to base it on.

Unlike irish soccer and rubgy where there is two managers proven at the elite level ,we are a team going in on hope.

While limerick set up looks far from golden,they have o grady proven at that level.

Fermanagh appointed peter mcgrath as manager.

Cork must surely be the most inexpierenced set up in town,definetly among the top 8.

On a slighly different topic,i read michael deasy,kilbrittain hurler ,playing up to a few years ago,i remember seeing him with ross cashman and jamie wall,is the strength and conditiong coach with western samoa rubgy.

He said hurling is he's first love and will always be,he is just 25, and would love to be a strength and conditiong coach with a team ,he would come home in the future.

Its guys like him Ed coughlan,eanna falvey from the lions ,should be earmarked and put on the radar within cork that if they do come home,with their expierence of coaching professional teams ,it would be of immense benfit to cork if they were used as fitness,strength coaches etc down the line.

Michael must be highly regared,as samoans renowned for their strength wouldnt take just anyone.
    Jerry flannery and johnny o connor are doing the same with arsenal youngsters,and soccer like hurling,the way arsenal play is a game of speed.

But their expertise can be used also.

I said it many times here cork have top top people,in different sports aeras that have proven themselves with other teams furthe r afield,we don't need to get in men from outside ,most of the time.

Deasy is a classic example of a cork guy learning hes trade,broadening hes expertise in another field,but wont be gone for too long at all.

I d say in a few years don't be suprised to see him with an intercounty team ,as unlike us,other counties will be aware of him.

Cork people are supremely talented,very unique and can match the best in any field,and we have proven that down the years.
    Their in cork,we must just look hard enough and give them the chance.
    Fair play to him.

Its not just talented players Cork loose to proffessional sport.

• Advertisement

CORK MINOR HURLING 2014 2013-11-09
    Notice from Cork Minor Hurling Management:

As the incoming Cork Minor hurling selection committee for 2014, we hope to ensure that the best players are part of our panel at all times and that an opportunity is presented to all players throughout the county to put themselves forward for selection.

As a significant number of players in this age range have been part of the Cork development squad system for the past four years, we have identified 63 such players (listed below) who are currently attending internal development squad games with us.

This group have have been recommended to us by development squad mentors, based on their performances with various Cork underage teams over the past few seasons.

Should any club feel that they have players of inter-county standard who are not on this list, please do not hesitate to contact us, as follows.

Please supply the following details for the players identified;
    Name
    Address
    Date of Birth
    Contact details - mobile no.
    Best playing position
    Please return the above details, by email only, to Denis Ring at d.ring@live.ie before 9pm on Wednesday, November 13th next.

As a selection committee, we would ask that each club is realistic in putting forward a player for trial.

Clearly, it will make the selection process more credible and realistic, if players with a high level of ability are put forward.

We sincerely thank you for your support and cooperation on this matter.

Mise le meas,
    Donncha O Rinn.

Manager; Denis Ring (Fermoy)
    Coach; Mark Landers (Killeagh)
    Selectors; John Mortell (Ballyhea), John Dwyer (Ballincollig) & Liam Martin (Glen Rovers)

Aaron Stafford Aghada
    John LooneyAghada
    Kevin O’Donovan Ahan Gaels
    Patrick CollinsBallinhassig
    Joseph O’Sullivan Ballygiblin
    Alan O'Callaghan Blackrock
    Conor O'Brien Blackrock
    Daniel Meaney Blackrock
    Michael O'Halloran Blackrock
    Cian O’ConnorBride Rovers
    Shane Walsh Bride Rovers
    Brendan McCarthy Carrigtwohill